Start by marking “Monsters” as Want to Read:
Monsters

Monsters

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  213 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Of course that monster hiding under your bed when you were little didn't really exist. Vampires, werewolves, zombies, demons--they're simply figments of our imagination, right? After all, their existence has never been scientifically proven. But there is one giant problem with such an easy dismissal of these creepy creatures: people keep encountering them.

Join occult schol
Published September 1st 2011 by Llewellyn Publications (first published September 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monsters

Lea
I picked this up around Halloween, hoping for something slightly spooky, kind of like The Mothman Prophecies.

I love weird -- I mean, REALLY love it. Ancient aliens, impossible pre-history, cryptozoology, count me in. So of course a book like this -- wow, we're exploring REAL MONSTERS! -- makes my heart beat a little faster and my eyes twinkle.

But this books just . . . wasn't it. For me, it was just okay, not because it was poorly written, but because the subject doesn't really appeal to me. Vamp
Marcus
Apr 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ghost-Hunters, Scary Story fans
Even if you don't believe in ghosts, demons, or other monsters, the aim of this book is a fascinating thought experiment: explain the existence of phenomena which are consistent across the experiences of humans with no communication or cultural link - despite the lack of any empirical evidence. While usually tackled by parapsychology and appeals to a collective unconscious, or the common evolutionary roots of human thinking, this author has a much more novel claim they're real!

But assuming ghost
Last  Changeling
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't be put off by the mixed reviews, Greer may be an acquired taste, (please go to the trouble of acquiring it, you'll be rewarded with a headful of fresh ideas), but he knows his stuff.
There aren't many people out there who draw the parallel between UFO stories and faery lore, despite the obvious parallels, but Greer gets it.
Likewise the way he neatly sets out the differences between the, (apparently), solid world we inhabit, and the more etheric levels is disturbingly logical.
I've only jus
Colby Denton
This book, while I was initially very excited to read due to the folklore-like content, I must admit that I was utterly disappointed with the overall product. While yes, this work does go over the details of several monsters, none are elaborated upon in any sort of detail; however, that is not the worst part about this book. The author fancies himself a practitioner of Western magic, being a member of the Golden Dawn, and thus, goes into the monster descriptions with numerous magical allusions b ...more
Brett Phar

I have nothing interesting read but author kept trying to recruit reader into magic. I like chapter on how to investigate .
Bri
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Monster aficionados, occult students,
I wanted to like this book. I really wanted to like it. I had been looking for this book for over ten years when I finally found it a few months ago.

I started off enjoying the book but then... It was pedantic. And mocking, self-important, and repetitious.

If you wanted to tackle this book in portions it might not be so bad. If you tried to read only the bits that interested you it might be good; unfortunately I did not take this approach and am now soured on this book to the point that I don'
Michele Lee
Reviewed for MonsterLibrarian.com

Monsters is a New Agey manual on the fantasy creatures we know and love. How to find them, identify them, protect yourself against them, run a basic investigation, as well as a hodgepodge of history and cultural takes can all be found in this book. However the point of view comes from a tone that's bitterly anti-science (citing the Santa Claus defense, “So many people believe it, how could it not be true” as proof of these creatures existence) and liberally rede
Monster
Jul 19, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a New Agey manual on the fantasy creatures we know and love. How to find them, identify them, protect yourself against them, run a basic investigation, as well as a hodgepodge of history and cultural takes can all be found in this book. However, it has a tone that's bitterly anti-science (citing the Santa Claus defense, “so many people believe it, how could it not be true” as proof of these creatures existence) liberally redefines terms, and cherry picks data and history to suit the auth ...more
Haystack
I picked up this book not having a real good idea as to how it would read. I read it from cover to cover, and I actually liked it. In the book, John Michael Greer talks about ways to investigate such things as demons, ghosts, monsters, and such. When I first saw the cover, and read the title, I had the sarcastic thought "yeah, this is going to be a guide on how to investigate something and look like the Keystone Cops while doing it." But I have to admit that having read it, the investigative tec ...more
Zan G
May 26, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: real life fox mulders
This is a long study on monsters as actual creatures and how to combat them. It, for the most part, states that monsters are multi-dimensional beings or astral projections and explains their inability to be detected/killed/captured by simply stating they are magic. It has a lot of interesting stuff about folklore within it, the chapter on the origins of vampire folklore and the information about traditional European faerys was interesting as well. Take it with a grain of salt, but it's still wor ...more
Elizabeth Eiler
Fabulous book! Greer offers eye-opening, educated, extremely thoughtful and experienced views about many types of paranormal events and the spiritual beings responsible. Anyone who wants to learn about ghosts, hauntings, the spirit world, demons, or the unexplained should read this book. I think it's a must for anyone interested in the paranormal or parapsychology.
Mortisha Cassavetes
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
I have owned this book for a very long time now and love to just read little bits of it about each Magical Monster and Beings. Today, I finished it. I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to everyone who loves monsters!
Frank
May 05, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A few good bits of folklore, which is why I picked it up. Otherwise, a lot of goofy, self-seriousousness. The author's arguments against scientific explanations for monsters were blatently flawed and subjective. No, I'm not surprised.
Aika Artemisia
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: informational
Excellent resource, I deeply appreciated the levelheaded perspective and useful advise, though I might have liked more tools from outside the Golden Dawn tradition. Still and excellent guide, highly recommended!
Brent Ryan
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cryptology
I love the approach to explanation cryptids. However I think the name should be Cryptid instead of "Monster". 'Monster' is very vague and ill-defined a term for what information is in the book.
Jutta
Dec 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a bit of useful inof, but not much that isn't available in other books

read 2011
Felicia
Aug 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all that wonder exactly what is that?
This is a good reference book as well as a good read. It is a starter book book for those who want to dwelve deeper.
Madman!!
Sep 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I were to teach a class about monstrous beings, this would be the required text.
Ingrid Foster
An interesting read with a unique perspective.
Mac
Jun 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pure hokum, but amusing, with a number of interesting concepts, such as the connection between fairy lore and ufo reports.
Jim Nirmaier
Jul 25, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Silly.
Kathryn
Do you know why America doesn't have vampires? I do.
Demon Watson
  • Real Wolfmen: True Encounters in Modern America
  • The Book of Druidry
  • Cassell Dictionary of Superstitions
  • A Lycanthropy Reader: Werewolves in Western Culture
  • Werewolf (Ed & Lorraine Warren #5)
  • Cryptozoology A to Z: The Encyclopedia of Loch Monsters, Sasquatch, Chupacabras & Other Authentic Mysteries of Nature
  • Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth
  • Fantasy Encyclopedia
  • The Witch's Shield: Protection Magick and Psychic Self-Defense
  • Write Is a Verb: Sit Down, Start Writing, No Excuses
  • The Vatican's Exorcists: Driving Out the Devil in the 21st Century
  • Protection & Reversal Magick: A Witch's Defense Manual (Beyond 101)
  • A Field Guide to Demons, Fairies, Fallen Angels and Other Subversive Spirits
  • The Vampire Encyclopedia
  • Violent Politics: A History of Insurgency, Terrorism, and Guerrilla War, from the American Revolution to Iraq
  • Magickal Mystical Creatures: Invite Their Powers Into Your Life
  • The Encyclopedia of Witchcraft & Demonology
John Michael Greer is an author of over thirty books and the blogger behind The Archdruid Report. He also serves as Grand Archdruid of the Ancient Order of Druids in America. His work addresses a range of subjects, including climate change, peak oil and the future of industrial society. He lives in Rhode Island with his wife.
More about John Michael Greer...