Start by marking “Daredevil, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Daredevil, Volume 1

Daredevil, Volume 1

(Daredevil (2011) (Collected Editions) #1)

With new enemies, new friends ... and that same old "grinnin' in the face of hell" attitude, the Man Without Fear is back in action and leading with his face! Mark Waid (Amazing Spider-Man) joins neo-legendary artists Paolo Rivera and Marcos Martin for a new spin on Daredevil that will leave you gasping for air. Having turned his world upside over the past several years, ...more
Published February 8th 2012 by Marvel Enterprises, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Daredevil, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daredevil, Volume 1

Start your review of Daredevil, Volume 1
Anne
Feb 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Daredevil hasn't always been my favorite. Or even one of my favorites.
I didn't necessarily dislike him, but the was just something meh about the character...

description

In a nutshell, he's always seemed broody, moody, and deeply depressed.
And Catholic. Don't forget the Catholic Guilt.

description

He's the guy that makes Spider-man look like he's got all the luck.
It's not like he was a whole lotta fun to read about, you know?

And then there was that movie.
Oh. My. God.

Don't worry Daredevil. Batman's up next.

So.
Read
Jeff
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix, buddy-reads
Four and a half stars!

Growing up, Spider-Man was always my favorite super hero and somehow, Daredevil was a close second. Was it the cool red suit with no eye holes? Was it the fact that Daredevil was blind, but had super senses because a radioactive canister fell on his noggin when he rescued Stan Lee from getting hit by a truck? Was it because he has a way with the ladies? (Hey, I was seven years old) Was it because he was a lawyer? (No!) Was it because I could use my sisters jump rope as a
Kemper
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superhero, 2014, marvel
This is the kind of stuff that makes comic fans a bunch of disgruntled malcontents who can never be happy.

Ive ranted before about how Marvel has made a hash out of it's volumes and numbering systems making it increasingly difficult for someone working through the trade collections to read stuff in order. I knew that Mark Waid had done a new phase of Daredevil, and its something I was curious about so when I ran across this collection labeled Volume 1 at the library, I grabbed it and gave it a
Dan Schwent
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
1 - Daredevil prevents a hit at a mafia wedding and goes up against The Spot. Also, his identity being exposed is threatening his legal profession as Matt Murdock.

I haven't read a modern age Daredevil tale since Kevin Smith was writing it. So far, I'm digging Mark Waid's not-as-grim take on Daredevil since old Hornhead has been through the wringer pretty consistently since the Frank Miller run.

I like how Waid and company portray Matt's blindness and heightened senses.

2 - Daredevil has a brawl
Terence
Dec 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Matt Murdock is still dealing with the fallout of the world learning that he's Daredevil. Despite his denials and information claiming otherwise, most people believe he is Daredevil. Which makes things complicated for his professional life.

I've never read a Daredevil comic before despite knowing the basics of Daredevil. The whole he's blind, but his super senses make him a super hero truly never appealed to me. After reading this I'd have to say my opinion hasn't changed.
I don't see how having
Ronyell
Daredevil

Introduction:

Now, I will admit that the first Daredevil comic I had actually picked up was Frank Millers Daredevil: The Man without Fear comic, which I enjoyed immensely! Now, I am diving into Mark Waids portrayal of the legendary superhero Daredevil and I will admit that I found this version of Daredevil pretty interesting so far!

What is this story about?

After the events of Shadowland, Matt Murdock has finally returned to New York City at his old law firm. But due to outing himself as
Sam Quixote
Feb 03, 2013 rated it liked it
In this revamp Mark Waid rejects the popular version of Daredevil as this overly dark and gritty character and returns him to his 1960s roots with a carefree attitude, smiling as he takes down bad guys, and basically being an upbeat and cheerful sort of chap who enjoys being both Matt Murdock and Daredevil. This is a refreshing take on the character especially as dark and gritty is really something thats run its course in superhero comics and is generally something Im sick of reading about.

Brandon
When you think of Marvel's answer to Batman, you probably automatically think Iron Man. And why wouldn't you? Tony Stark and Bruce Wayne are both incredibly intelligent individuals who use their mental ability to compensate for a lack of "super power".

For whatever reason, in my eyes, I always saw Daredevil as Marvel's answer to Batman. They've both lost parents due to the actions of the criminal element, they both operate in seedy surroundings (Hells Kitchen & Gotham City) and both series
Shannon
Daredevil in the usual Mark Waid style. A number of stories that get back to the basics of Daredevil. Good artwork. Solid set of tales but nothing high end.

OVERALL GRADE: B
Nicolo Yu
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mark Waid and his artistic collaborators in Paolo Rivera and Marcos Martin bring us a refreshing take on the Man Without Fear. Waid returns Daredevil to its swashbuckling roots which is light-years away from the Frank Miller inspired stories that came after Miller's seminal run.

I like this new direction very much. Superheroes need to move away from the dark and gritty era that has influenced mainstream books for more than a quarter century.

So how did Waid deal with the fallout from the
Sesana
Nov 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
Waid's run on Daredevil came highly recommended from people who know something about Daredevil. Cool, I'll give it a shot. And I'm glad that I did.

I went into this with only the most basic of background knowledge into the character. Luckily, I didn't need it. This kind of seems like a new start for Daredevil, so it's a good place for a noob to jump in. Apparently, Matt Murdock was, at some point, outed as Dardevil. Which he still denies whenever asked, something that becomes a sort of running
C.T. Phipps
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, daredevil
Mark Waids' run on Daredevil is an interesting divergence for the character but one which was probably necessary in the long run. Daredevil is infamous as one of the grittier characters in the Marvel universe and probably the only one who can really lay a claim to that title aside from the Punisher. He's foot firmly in the MCU unlike Frank Castle, though, as he's someone you can depict fighting ninjas or supervillains which always feels weird when the Punisher is involved.

Basically, as Waid says
Mike
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Waid is hit-and-miss for me. This time around he's more hit than miss but doesn't inspire the giddy, gleeful reaction when I'm thoroughly enjoying a comic. It probably doesn't help that Rivera/Martin's art doesn't do much for me.

A cleaned-up, newly-"sane" (as Murdock can ever be, at least) and positive-thinking lawyer is certainly one way to relaunch a character like DD. Give the guy a mostly clean slate, a new attitude and a way to challenge his character without fists flying every frame.

The
Brittany
Jan 31, 2015 rated it liked it

***Buddy read with the Shallow Readers! This week's criteria: Daredevil is all red, even in his ginger hair***

Matt Murdock is not the superhero for me. And I'm kind of sad about this.

Daredevil definitely had some badass moments in this volume. His skill is obvious and his senses are so trained that it's insane. I also appreciate him as a lawyer (which is not something that is said about lawyers very often, if at all).

But.... Maybe I just don't know enough about Matt. Maybe I need more
Gavin
Sep 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I wanted to like this more than I did. However, I started liking it more towards the end of the volume...I think it's when I got adjusted to this Daredevil not being flying fists and fury. The art also seems a little odd, like it's going for 1970s retro yet with day-glo colours. I haven't read enough DD to have a good handle on things, I only read a few of the Brubaker volumes, and I'm always wanting to get more into Daredevil.
That being said, I think this is a great start. Matt Murdock is one
Jerry
Sep 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Despite being a longtime superhero fan, I have never seen the Ben Affleck Daredevil flick; from what I heard and read about it, it sounded like it would be a shock to my Disney Channel sensibilities.

Still, I usually enjoy the original comics better than the flicks anyway, and this was a fun one. Daredevil's abilities despite his apparent disability is very inspiring, and the comics were action-packed and well-drawn.

Unfortunately, as is usually the case with modern comic omnibuses, the makers
Nikki
Mar 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I dont really know much about Daredevil, beyond the fact that his real name is Matt Murdock, and that hes blind. This comic makes a reasonable introduction, though its a bit obvious that it is an introduction theres a lot of as you know, Bob type exposition about how Matt can see, his limitations and his background. Apparently this takes a turn out of a gritty trend for Matt, which it sort of flags up in the story by Matt going on about how he has to do this to cope. It feels a bit clumsy, in ...more
Hannah Rodriguez
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
yes yes yes. this is actually the best with puns and humor and the art. I need more.
RG
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
A little different to the previous runs. Its not as noir and dark. Has a more fun vibe in a way. Will continue and see how volume 2 goes.
Abigail
What I liked about this story was
1) The art of Rivera/Martin
2) Matt taking on the young blind boy as a client
3) Klaw and the confrontation with him when DD (view spoiler)

I picked this book up out of continuity and need to go back and read about when Matt was (view spoiler) as this story continues after that. I would like to read the story arc of when (view spoiler) leading into him dealing with
Kurt
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
After decades of writers putting Matt Murdock through the wringer, tearing him down and building him back up, Mark Waid takes the book in a shocking and revolutionary direction - he lets Daredevil smile. This collection of stories is fascinating and joyful and a little terrifying all at once, as Matt Murdock returns to Hell's Kitchen with a fresh outlook on life and a refusal to acknowledge that in the last five or ten years, his secret identity has been made public and he's personally put his ...more
William Thomas
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: believe-the-hype
Frank Miller might just become a forgotten thing of the past if Mark Waid keeps up this kind of work on DD. I'd counted Waid out years ago, when he was doing all that work for Crossgen, but it looks like I couldn't have been more wrong. This is just too good a book to be true.

Not that I'm comparing them to one another, they aren't comparable in any way other than their brilliance. Frank Miller turned DD into a seedy, gritty, dark, avenging anti-hero only a few steps away from the ledge that
Chris Lemmerman
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
After suffering through over 100 issues of depressing storylines that dragged him to the deepest bowels of hell and back (sometimes literally), Daredevil steps back into the light with a new creative team, a new lease on life, and some good fun stories to go with it.

Mark Waid breathes new life into the crimson clad crimefighter as he tries to put his past behind him and get back to his roots. It's a fantastic change after so many dark and dingy storylines and rings true to character as well;
Martin
Feb 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Daredevil's back! After over a decade of being beaten silly by "gritty" and "street-level" drama and tragedy, starting with Kevin Smith, through Brian Michael Bendis and Ed Brubaker, ending with Andy Diggle (and suffering through a cruel mini-series by the name of Daredevil:REBORN), Daredevil gets a fresh start and a new/old attitude: that of a swashbuckling, [and dare I say] happy-go-lucky hero.

Mark Waid's been getting some much-deserved praise for his work on this series. He seems to "get"
Aaron
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Such a breath of fresh air after the garbage that was Andy Diggle's run. Waid takes Daredevil back into the light (albeit a little abruptly) for 6 very fun, stylish issues.

The art is very specific, which may be a weird way to describe it. But I like that Rivera is actually going for something unique. It's got some Tim Sale mixed in with some more classic John Byrne style stuff, and comes across a little more classy than previous rough, noirish Daredevil art.

Reading this made me miss the harsh
Althea J.
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm usually a DC girl but I have fallen in love with Mark Waid's Daredevil. It's been just what the doctor ordered -- the best antidote to the pervasive doom and gloom of the DC titles I follow. This iteration of Daredevil is lighthearted and fun! And a great introduction to the Daredevil character.
Matt
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story line and artwork are present in this book. Daredevil is a unique superhero and he is utilized quite well here. His personality as the hot shot lawyer. Matt Murdock is explored here as well and was a welcome transition from the crime fighting. A very good book with some secondary villains who manage to fit in nicely and mesh in a cohesive manner.
Chelsea 🏳️‍🌈
This was a pretty solid book. The panels where Matt's talking about the way he senses things around him were really great. I could have used more of the subplot with Foggy and Kirsten. The ending was pretty good as well.

3 stars because, while it was solidly enjoyable, nothing really wowed me about this volume.
Nicole
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, graphic
Daredevil, Vol. 1!!! This is another one of my Amazon Prime Reading reads.

I liked this one a lot. I didn't LOVE it, but I really liked it. It was entertaining as hell and just fun to read. I only know the Netflix version of Daredevil, so I was really excited to read this version and I sure as heck wanna continue reading this.
Brandon Forsyth
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The rumours are true - no matter how much you like dark, broody Daredevil, you will love this book! Clean, smart art and a fun pop sensibility to the writing make this feel like good wholesome fun.
2013 Hub Reading ...: Daredevil v1 by Mark Waid 2 13 Mar 16, 2013 12:48PM

• The Punisher, Volume 1: Black and White
  • Daredevil Legends: Yellow
  • The New Avengers, Volume 1: Breakout
  • The Immortal Iron Fist, Volume 1: The Last Iron Fist Story
  • Daredevil: The Man Without Fear
  • Daredevil: Back in Black, Volume 1: Chinatown
  • Daredevil by Brian Michael Bendis & Alex Maleev: Ultimate Collection, Book 1 (Daredevil by Brian Michael Bendis & Alex Maleev Ultimate Collection, #1)
  • Ultimate Comics Spider-Man by Brian Michael Bendis, Volume 1
  • Hawkeye, Volume 1: My Life as a Weapon
  • Daredevil, Vol. 5: Out
  • Captain America: Winter Soldier, Volume 1
  • The Superior Spider-Man, Volume 1
Mark Waid (born March 21, 1962 in Hueytown, Alabama) is an American comic book writer. He is best known for his eight-year run as writer of the DC Comics' title The Flash, as well as his scripting of the limited series Kingdom Come and Superman: Birthright, and his work on Marvel Comics' Captain America.

Daredevil (2011) (Collected Editions) (7 books)
  • Daredevil, Volume 2