Start by marking “The Writing Warrior: Discovering the Courage to Free Your True Voice” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Writing Warrior: D...

Laraine Herring

The Writing Warrior: Discovering the Courage to Free Your True Voice

All writers are faced at some point with feelings of self-consciousness and self-doubt about their work. In this invaluable guide, Laraine Herring offers advice to writers who want to become more comfortable with their writing, face their inhibitions, and gain the confidence to release their true voice. Utilizing the breath, a vigorous movement practice designed to break

Published August 16th 2011 by Shambhala Publications, Inc. (first published July 20th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Writing Warrior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Writing Warrior

Annette Fuller
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rrp, want

I’m a big fan of books on the craft of writing that talk about the creative side of things. I’ve been struggling lately with not having a strong enough sense of safety and comfort in my own mind, and as a consequence, not bringing myself to write. It’s a vicious cycle, because writing can help soothe the demons of depression and the feeling of being out of control of things.
I read some articles recently on a particular emotional struggle that defined my childhood. And it was so validating, to kn
malrubius
Oct 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
Not only is this another excellent, motivational, inspirational book by Herring, but, like Writing Begins with the Breath, it is written with compassion and flair.
Andi
Jun 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspiration. Motivation. Some good gut-checks. Great advice. And the feeling of having a good friend keep you keepin' on with your writing.

Absolutely recommended for any writer.
Amber Polo
Jul 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing, relaxation
My favorite quote: "Taking commas in or out is simply rearranging ships on the ocean of story."
Thanks, Laraine for sharing bits of wisdom and encouragement for the dark hours.
Liam
Not great. This book can be summed up in the following question: "Have you ever tried meditating... and then writing?" It talks a lot about vulnerability and letting things go, but doesn't actually talk practically about writing all that often. Characters in your head, letting your instincts guide you, breathing exercises, all that— but not much else. Try emptying your mind and focusing on your breathing... and then try writing! That's the book in a nutshell. If I had known that, I probably woul ...more
Heather Silvio
The latest book I read for my MFA program; overall, I liked the author's easy writing style. However, if you have a background in psychology and/or have already published, you may not find too much that is new to you. In addition, as others have noted, the book is more self-help and memoir than writing guide. This book would likely work great for someone with no psychology background and/or who is at the beginning of their writing path.
Akysian
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jan Kellis
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of great ideas and writing tips, and a healthy dose of inspiration for those wishing they were writing instead of reading about writing.
Dustin
Oct 14, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Writing Warrior practice of breathing, shaking, and writing described in this book helped me better focus my energy and attention on the task of getting words on the page. However, the book is really a memoir smartly marketed as a writing guide. The Writing Warrior practice was a great takeaway, but the rest of the book felt like filler that only served the purpose of increasing the word count.
Erin Michele
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautifully-written, process-oriented look at what it takes to establish a writing practice. The book is divided into five stages along the writing journey, and each stage is filled with short essays and some exercises to develop your relationship with yourself and your writing.
Camellia
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another "must read"
Alison
Dec 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cherie
B This would be great for beginning writers or even in an MFA program. Unfortunately, many of the ideas I have already heard before and it came across to me as self-help-y vs helpful.
Hadi
Aug 04, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you want to write but are too scared to pick up a pen, then this might be for you. Otherwise utterly banal.
Alythia Brown
Oct 16, 2016
Alison Pelegrin
Nov 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Laraine Herring holds an MFA in creative writing and an MA in counseling psychology. Her short stories, poems, and essays have appeared in national and local publications. Her fiction has won the Barbara Deming Award for Women and her nonfiction work has been nominated for a Pushcart Prize. She currently directs the creative writing program at Yavapai College in Prescott, Arizona. She is a member ...more