Start by marking “Departure Lounge” as Want to Read:
Departure Lounge

Departure Lounge

liked it 3.0  ·  Rating details ·  87 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
"Entropy noir. . . . The hypnotic pull lies in the zigzag dance of its forlorn characters, casting a murky, uneasy sense of doom.""The Guardian" A young woman mysteriously disappears. The lives of those she has left behindfamily, acquaintances and strangers intrigued by her disappearanceintersect to form a captivating latticework of odd coincidences and surprising twists o ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Europa Editions

To ask other readers questions about Departure Lounge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Departure Lounge

Orsodimondo
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: noir, nuova-zelanda
PARTENZA SENZA RITORNO

description
La sala partenze dell’aeroporto internazionale di Auckland.

Le cose che mi sono piaciute di più e che mi tornano in mente:
-l’ambientazione in Nuova Zelanda, a Auckland.

description
Auckland, capitale della Nuova Zelanda.

-l’inizio, deliziosamente cinico: Mark, e ci vuole parecchio prima che scopriamo il suo nome, gioca a biliardo con un palazzinaro che vende case che cascano a pezzi appena finito il periodo di garanzia, un tipo schifoso arrogante disonesto presuntuoso che predica
Property
Fiona MacDonald
No, I'm afraid this just wasn't for me. I found it more a drag than a pleasure reading it and was so relieved when it was over. It wasn't clever or sharp, and the story was pretty poor. It would maybe have worked as a disappearance story, or a crime story, but have the stories mashed up together just confused me too much wasn't a good idea. It's a no from me.
Stacia
Jun 19, 2015 rated it liked it
A little bit edgy, a little bit mysterious, & a tinge bittersweet. To me, the forward-going thrust of the story is a noir(ish) crime novel, the backward-going thrust of the novel is a poignant & heartrending coming-of-age story. Both pieces woven together give you an unusual mix & unexpected routes vs. just a straight noir or crime novel. Taylor has an easy to read writing style that kept me turning the pages & stole a little piece of my heart by the end.
Tony
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
DEPARTURE LOUNGE. (2006). Chad Taylor. ***.
Mr. Taylor is a writer from New Zealand, and, prior to his novel has published four other works. One of his novels was made into a film by Miramax, titled “Heaven.” This novel deals with the effects of a young girl gone missing from a small New Zealand town. The reactions of the residents and friends of Caroline May are explored through the eyes of several of her best friends. One of the people who helps in the attempt to find out the reason for her mis
kp
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Existential noir.
Linda
May 12, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book on my To-Read list for a long time after hearing a rave review of it. It's a small book, and each time I saw it for sale I refused to pay fullprice for it! But on Saturday I found it for $9. By Sunday I'd finished it.

It's nicely written, simply written, but isn't a simple tale. It starts with the night that the Air NZ flight to Antarctica didn't return. Then it jumps to current day and the life of the main character, a thief. (Consequently I lay in bed hearing every creak of t
Larisa
Jun 02, 2011 rated it liked it
First, let me say that the book cover and blurb are misleading. This really isn't a noir or a mystery and has nothing whatsoever to do with an airport (and only a little bit to do with an airplane). It is, however, a decent read about a thief who is not really likeable or unlikeable as a character, and about how people deal with loss particularly when there is no sense of closure. Taylor's descriptions of people and places ring true and the book led to an interesting discussion for my book group ...more
Aaron
Oct 29, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I want to point something out because I find it amusing:
The first line of the book jacket plot-description blurb says Greg is a small-time thief.

No, he isn't. He's a photographer. Mark is the small-time thief.

Way to copyedit your own book jacket, Mr. Taylor!

Anyway, I didn't get this book. And I wanted to. I was really into it up until the last forty pages or so. Into it until it sort of crumbles into incomprehensible nonsense.

Emma
Nov 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book was ok, with a few interesting turns, but I expected more out of it. When he was a kid, one of his school mates disappeared. The story goes back and forth between this event, and later on in life, when as a thief, he breaks in houses and tries to...

To read my whole review, please go here:
Missy Mumby
May 25, 2012 rated it liked it

I found this book to be interesting, and I can see how it's categorized as noir, yet I was disappointed that we never really find out hat happened to Caroline. And there are many typos in the book, including the blurb on the jacket which states that "greg" is a thief, but it's really Mark.
Philippa
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very readable style and good ideas, but ultimately unsatisfying – it just didn't really go anywhere. The mystery remained a mystery and I didn't feel much empathy with the main character – or any of them really. A shame because Chad Taylor can obviously write well: fluent prose, good dialogue and vivid imagery.
Andrea
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
I don't particularly enjoy books that leave it up to the reader to interpret their real meaning. This book was just okay for me. I was hoping it would go into the mystery of Caroline's disappearance more than it did. Just not my cup of tea.
Alex Gleason
Apr 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Quite good.
Jeanette Stucky
Jul 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Good read-great writer, but don't expect to be told "who done it"
Jason McKinney
May 28, 2010 rated it liked it
A philosophical noir that, if not exactly a page-turner, still keeps the reader interested.
Marion Benwell
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
The atmosphere creeps in slowly in your head and obliges you to keep reading. THAT is the reason I loved this book. Wouldn't leave me alone!
Karmen
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It's unsettling to have a book that doesn't tire up all the loose ends. The book is well written if shorter than it could have been.
Kit Fox
May 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Who knew there was good noir-ish fiction coming out of New Zealand? I didn't, but I totally recommed this here book. Also, it'll only take you, like, a couple hours to read. Short but still good.
Nancy
The story sucked me in, then spit me out when I was about 30 pages from the end. That's the point when the story turned mystical.
Ashley
Sep 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Stylish noir with an unsatisfactory conclusion.
Ana
Jun 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
deja vu 1 1 Aug 13, 2013 06:46PM
1 follower
Chad Taylor is the author of the novels Departure Lounge, Electric, Shirker, Heaven and Pack of Lies. He was awarded the Buddle Findlay Sargeson Fellowship in 2001 and the Auckland University Literary Fellowship in 2003. Heaven was made into a feature film by Miramax, and his novels and short stories have been translated into several languages. His most recent novel is The Church of John Coltrane.
More about Chad Taylor