Start by marking “Don't get Mad...Get Even” as Want to Read:
Don't get Mad...Get Even

Don't get Mad...Get Even

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  922 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
What choices do you have when you are abused, cheated on and left with a trail of broken promises? Don’t Get Mad…Get Even. Take an inside look at Jamaican culture and lifestyle through a collection of award-winning stories. You will laugh, cry and commiserate with a compelling cast of characters, who conquer their challenges in unique ways.
Published September 14th 2011 by The Writers' Suite

To ask other readers questions about Don't get Mad...Get Even, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't get Mad...Get Even

Tina Hayes
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"Don't Get Mad…Get Even" by J.L. Campbell is short story collection that is well worth the read. Set in Jamaica, each story features a unique new cast of characters who've been wronged in some way and, like the title suggests, they're dead set on getting even. The lilt of the dialogue brings alive the sound of Jamaica so I could almost hear the conversations in my ear as I read.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. If pushed to pick a favorite story, it would be 'Sudden Emancipation', an emotional sto
Medeia Sharif
Oct 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This short story collection was an enjoyable read. As the title promises, each story focuses on a character who’s getting even against someone who didn’t do right by him or her. This is mostly contemporary, but there’s a touch of paranormal in this collection. I also enjoyed the setting of Jamaica and the patois interspersed throughout the book. J.L. Campbell is an author to watch out for. No matter how long each piece was, I was fully involved with the characters’ thoughts and actions.
Clarissa Draper
Oct 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a collection of five short stories. I've become a fan of these little guys because they're short and they often pack a punch. And these do pack a punch--often literally. I felt for all the characters in the stories and I learned a lot about the male/female relationship in Jamaican culture. Pick it up, you can't beat the price.
Aug 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story but felt confused as to the goings on. The story seemed to have jumped from one situation and then back in time. As it got to the end, it started to get good and then it was the end. Even though this one left me lost, I will still read more of J.L's books.
Apr 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book was filth. The book was only short stories that consisted of women killing their husbands basically.I don't have anything else to say, because the plots were so pointless.
Danielle Mason
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ms. Campbell touches some areas that we all could come across or know someone with these issues.. though there is some laughter involved some of these areas are my Jamaican people!!!
Elise Randall

I didn't realize this book was a bunch of short stories. However, once I start reading I must continue so I did
Faith Jackson
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short stories

A collection of page turning short stories. Some quite funny. Not what I expected but still a decent read. I'd recommend it to pass the time.
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Very good read. I enjoyed the characters and wanted more. Being an island girl I was comforted by the words.

This book too me 1 hour to read I couldn't put it down. Karma comes full circle. Do until others

I always say life is about choices. You either allow someone to choose for you or you make the choices for yourself. Interesting stories subject matters. You have infidelity. You have domestic violence. You have suicide. It was like a tale of no return. I know some will read and say this couldn't be me, where others will say these are people I know. It's funny because while somethings maybe considered taboo, you recognize that in every culture you have those unspoken truths.
Short Stories

This book was nothing like I thought it would be. it was all short stories and I am not fond of those. There's about four or five the last book is the longest. However I must say I was a f as st read. The stories are Jamaican based. This was Marist times as doing this author. I research her a little more to see if all her books are like this.
Carolyn J.
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A collection of scorned women's tales of what not to do when you've married a rotten to the core man.. This was painful narrative. Thankfully I've never had to live in the manner in which the ladies were subjected. A good man isn't hard to find. Prayers to sisters to be strong, you don't have to live in turmoil.
Vera Jones
Mar 07, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

I tried to decipher the story line , but I could not find a connection. Stories were fragmented and had no connection. I started to put it down several times but I am not the type of person who can let a book I started go unfinished. This book in my opinion was confusing and disconnected.

Elizabeth Lindsey
May 11, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a depressing book !

I think that this was a free book. I can't imagine that I would've actually paid for it. It might have had a chance if the stories had been more involved, there wasn't enough depth to any of the characters to really care about any of them.
Darlene Gay-Allen
Enjoyed the reading. Very entertaining! Most of the stories made me want more. Great short stories.

Darlene Gay- Allen give this two thumbs up. I would definitely recommend this book and share it at book club
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Short Stories

Great Short Stories

I really enjoyed reading the short stories. I truly like the author style of writing. Book was a very easy read. One should be careful how one treat another. Smile
Joyce Andrews
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow that was intense

Every story was a story of getting the person back for the things that they had done wrong to the people that they were supposed to have loved. The title means just what it says, Don't get mad...get even. The last story was the best.
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an awesome short story read. However the author left you hanging after almost all of them . Story two would've been an awesome stand alone book
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these short stories! I wish they would all become a novel. Very though provoking.
Al-Jeanette Eaddy

The first story left me wanting more. Too much death and not enough happy healthy outcomes.
What ever happened to good old-fashioned revenge,?
Tera Keller

it was ok. I thought it would be different. I really didn't like the ending though. it could have been more dramatic
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really did enjoy these short stories.
Therese Marie
A goof set of short stories compilation. You get to have a glimpse of their culture and its
parallelism to Filipino culture. :)
M. Pax
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading these tales set in Jamaica. JL Campbell is a gifted writer. I'm definitely a fan.
Chantal Darden
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Watch out

This is another reason why I love reading books like this. It keeps you at the edge of your seat.
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Seven individual stories I wasn't prepared for but to my surprise I enjoyed how they flowed. Each story held it's own power and strength. Take a try you'll like it.
Lashon Brown
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One day

This book was great got done with it in one day. All the short story's were wonderful with creativity. Have to read another one of
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Need a better end to the book

The book started off good and then it went into some unanswered question about all of the story line it had quite terrible ending.
Tina Wilson

Short stories

just enough of a story to get you interested and then it's over. but I really did enjoy the stories.
  • My Life as a Sex-o-Gram: Book One
  • Secret Rendezvous (Reunited Series- Prequel)
  • Love Triangle: Three Sides To The Story
  • The Saga Continues (Cheaper to Keep Her #2)
  • How Did I Get Here?
  • Heaven Right Here (Hallelujah Love #4)
  • A Hustler's Promise
  • Show and Tell
  • The Games Men Play
  • Already Taken
  • Shit, Just Got Real! (The Letter #3)
  • Zane eBook Sampler
  • Rod of the Wicked (Church Boyz #1)
  • Two Tears in a Bucket (The Kennards, #1)
  • FeMALE TRAITS "The Trilogy"
  • The Leak (Hood Rat #3.5)
  • I'd Rather Be Single
  • Love and Betrayal
J.L. Campbell is an award-winning, Jamaican author who writes contemporary and sweet romance, romantic suspense, women's fiction, new and young adult novels. She has written nineteen books, eight novellas and two short story collections.

Her novels include the Island Adventure Romance series, which currently has four exciting, stand-alone stories and features feisty women and determined men.

She is
More about J.L. Campbell...

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Waterfalls (Glenbrooke, #6)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead: The Great Liberation through Hearing in the Bardo (Shambhala Classics)
  • Skinny Legs and All
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fire from Heaven (Alexander the Great, #1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Most Dangerous Place on Earth
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Waiting for Morning (Forever Faithful, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99