Start by marking “When Harriet Came Home” as Want to Read:
When Harriet Came Home

When Harriet Came Home

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  38 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
After ten years of exile, Harriet Brown is back in town. Things have definitely changed, but so has she. Now the confident owner of a catering business, she's no longer the shy, overweight girl everyone--including her hot teenage crush--used to ignore. In fact, she's determined to make peace with Adam Blackstone for her part in exposing his father's secret affairs and corr ...more
Published October 1st 2011 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about When Harriet Came Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Harriet Came Home

MBR
When Harriet Came Home By Coleen Kwan is set to release from Carina Press on the 24th of this month. Set in the small town of Wilmot in Australia, When Harriet Came Home tells the story of Harriet Brown who comes back home after a period of ten years upon receiving the news that her father had been involved in an accident.

Harriet had been an overweight and shy child which had earned continuous ridicule from her peers. But what had really driven her out of her hometown had been her involvement in
Ayesha
Oct 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Cute, predictable little romp; but Harriet's constant second-guessing of herself was a little tiresome, and definitely made it drag on unnecessarily :(
Rebecca
Oct 07, 2011 rated it liked it
You can also read this review at Reflections on Reading Romance

One of the reasons I’m enjoying the eBooks published by Carina Press these days is that I get to read authors from other English-speaking countries. When Harriet Came Home author Coleen Kwan is from Australia, and every now and then a lovely phrase or reference will draw your attention to her small-town setting of Wilmot, Australia. It’s not that different than most small town contemporary romances I’ve read, but I like the variety.
Sharon
Oct 25, 2011 rated it liked it
When Harriet Came Home was kindly provided to me by Netgalley for Carina Press.

Harriet Brown has returned to her childhood home after her father is injured in a car accident, she hasn’t been back to the small town of Wilmot, Australia in ten years due to an incident where she blew the whistle on the mayors dirty dealings.

Harriet has changed a lot in the time she has been away, she is no longer the over-weight, shy with mousy hair girl she once was, she now runs a successful catering business in
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
I selected When Harriet Came Home because the summary grabbed me right away. I love "ugly" duckling returns home stories, but WHCH is more than just that.

I could not put this book down, I read until the early hours of the morning, until my eyes refused to stay open. As soon as I woke up the next morning, I did housework then got right back into the book until I finished it. The emotions, secondary cast and most of all Harriett and Adam kept me enthralled until the end.

I was drawn into this star
The Project
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Jenny Schwartz
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I like second chance stories, but they’re seldom as good as When Harriet Came Home by Coleen Kwan. It started me thinking of Persuasion by Jane Austen. Both include themes of social expectations and pressure, but in When Harriet Came Home the heroine and hero challenge those expectations. It’s beautifully done as we see the growth and maturity of two people accepting who they were and who they’ve become.

Sharing a journey with people who are vulnerable, imperfect but ultimately courageous in sayi
Rachael Johns
Nov 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A really easy to read, feel-good romance. I love a coming home story and the hero was to-die-for!
JoAnne
Mar 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
To read my review on Romancing-the-Book.com click on the link below:

Alexis-Morgan Roark
Oct 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Alexis-Morgan by: alexisroark@sbcglobal.net
**This book was received for review courtesy of NetGalley and Carina Press/Harlequin**

I do so enjoy "coming home" and making them eat their (former) words book and this was no exception! This was a light, quick read set in Australia featuring your typical cast of charaters for the genre and theme. I appreciated the author not making her make-over (shedding a few kilos and getting a hairdo) that dramatic and actually believable. She was still "curvy" and "shapely." You know,a real woman!

While the
Romancing the Book
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, romance
Reviewed By~JoAnne
Review Copy Provided By~Author

This book was a quick and easy read and was so engrossing I didn't want to put it down so I ended up reading it from start to finish in one night. It was set in a small town in Australia and had the feel and flavor of a small town that could have been anywhere. There was laughter, romance and misunderstandings along with scores of family dynamics woven in. The main characters of Harriet and Adam had a past from high school that they needed to work
Becky R.
Oct 20, 2011 rated it liked it
When Harriet Came Home by Coleen Kwan is essentially about Harriet Brown's return to her small hometown in Australia. As a grown woman who overcame her shy, nerdy-girl teen years, Harriet just couldn't overcome the anxiety she felt around her high school crush Adam. That wasn't all that had her stumped though, as she was also responsible for exposing that same crush's mayor father for his infidelities and corruption. In essence, she blew apart Adam's life and now had to face all of that in retur ...more
Dannielle
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: net-galley, 2011, romance
I was expecting more from this book. Mostly just more sex, considering in the 140 pages there isn't a smidgen of sex. So I was disappointed about that.

And then I was surprised at how long there was the animosity between Harriet and Adam. While I wasn't expecting them to be best friends, I figured they would at least make peace sooner than they did.

The end of the book felt rushed for me too. I hate not getting everything cleared up before the end when a book is a stand-a-lone. Things did not nee
Tracy
Oct 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love a story that is filled with a bit of angst and misunderstandings. Sweet Love story! Good read.
Tracy's Place
Oct 25, 2011 rated it liked it
3.25 out of 5
Donna
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good book.
Christi Sutherland
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable story, will bring your heart back to earth. X
Jacqui
Dec 06, 2012
Sznn
Feb 08, 2016
Lola
rated it did not like it
May 12, 2012
Amy
Sep 09, 2012
Emilie
Dec 02, 2012
Abby
Dec 07, 2012
Coleen Kwan writes contemporary and steampunk romance for Carina Press and Entangled Publishing.

Coleen has been a bookworm all her life. At school English was her favorite subject, but for some reason she decided on a career in IT. After many years of programming, she wondered what else there was in life — and discovered writing. She loves writing contemporary romance and steampunk romance.

Coleen
More about Coleen Kwan
“He wore jeans and a thin white singlet which clung to his broad chest. His tanned biceps bunched as he hammered away, and his skin glowed with perspiration under the warm sun. Harriet’s mouth went bone-dry. A rush of heat boiled over her, licking her skin, surging inside her breasts, her thighs. Her response was instantaneous. She had no control over it. One look at Adam’s body and desire ignited in her.” 1 likes
“She sucked in a breath as their gazes clashed and his face altered. She could see the sweat beading the line of his close-cropped dark hair, could feel the heat radiating off his bulky shoulders, and smell the tang of hard work rising from his chest. A work belt clung to his hips. A smattering of hair flecked his gleaming pectorals above the singlet. With his chiselled face, his impressive biceps and long legs, he could have been a pin-up for one of those beefcake calendars. Mr November, with those grey Scorpio eyes watching her every move.” 1 likes