Start by marking “Soul Retrieval: Mending the Fragmented Self” as Want to Read:
Soul Retrieval: Mending the Fragmented Self

Soul Retrieval: Mending the Fragmented Self

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  892 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Suggests healing techniques based on reintegrating divided portions of the spirit.
Published January 1st 1991 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about Soul Retrieval, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soul Retrieval

Erin Thomas
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I read this book when I was 21 years old. It helped me with the process of recovering from an extremely traumatic childhood. My natural way of looking at the world is animistic, and this book focuses on animistic means of finding and recovering fragmented bits of self that have been splintered off by various traumas throughout life. I'm 40 years old now, and I have begun to realize that my adult life is also fraught with traumas that I might want to sit down and make sense of using these same an ...more
This included a basic introduction to shamanism and a lot of first-hand accounts of soul retrieval practices. The belief is that people lose pieces of their souls through traumas and similar experiences and need to reclaim these soul parts.
John Montgomery
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carlos Castaneda's The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge introduced me to shamanism and non-dual philosophic systems 35 years ago. I've also been interested in the phenomenon of out of body experiences triggered by trauma or near death experiences, which seem to suggest that consciousness can leave the body. One of my former clients, whom I first knew as the CEO of a technology company in Silicon Valley, recently became a shaman and recommended this book.

The basic premise of this
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have had this on my bookshelf for a couple years, and I'm very glad I finally took the time to read it! This is a fantastic introduction to shamanism and how it can help people recover lost parts of their souls. Soul loss can happen at any age after trauma, both physical or emotional, or even as a child for reasons that were traumatic to them at the time, but as adults seem silly. I loved how the author walked the reader through numerous retrieval journeys and shared the stories of clients who ...more
Serina Arlene
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I have a BA in Psychology and am going back for my MSC. I've read The Body Keeps The Score, tons of books on transpersonal/depth psychologies and am well versed in shamanic lore and I found this book to be fascinating! Quick paced and free from rhetoric, written by someone with academic degrees in psychology, this book pulls you in to the intimate spaces that exist in altered states of consciousness, all around and within us but usually left unseen. Anyone that works in the mental health field, ...more
Emily Crow
Dec 11, 2013 rated it liked it
I had a mixed reaction to this book. It's an interesting topic, and I agree with the author that contemporary society encourages fragmentation of the self, which needs to be reintegrated for true health/vitality. The shamanic perspective of soul retrieval is an interesting approach to healing, and I found much of the content to be helpful or insightful.

Unfortunately, some of the approach seems annoyingly dated by the therapeutic climate of the late 1980s/early 1990s, with too much emphasis on t
Useful as an introduction if you're not familiar with the concept but this book is largely anecdotal accounts about those who have sought the author's help. If you are looking for practical information, this is not the book.
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirit
A very open look at the topic of soul loss that can occur after a traumatic event--the different types, the shamanic methods used to retrieve it, and the process of reintegration. Which all sounds very dull and pretty woo-woo on top of that, but many of us have experience the symptoms she describes--a loss of interest and vitality after a particularly bad breakup. Chronic illness after a car accident of job layoff. Deep depression that seems to come out of nowhere and that therapy doesn't seem t ...more
Susan Marie
Read this after reading her intro to Shamanism so you can journey yourself in order to understand what crucial data she is presenting here. Easy to read and understand if one is familiar with and practices Shamanism. Soul Retrieval is no joke and should not be taken lightly or practiced without knowledge and experience in journeying, meditation, healing rituals and psychology.
Cassandra Cantrell
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My first Sandra Ingerman book & I am not disappointed! Don't let the title fool you, this is not a new age "woo woo" book but a serious methodology that I'm looking to add in with my counseling work.
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With graceful delivery of rarely discussed phenomena, Soul Retrieval: Mending the Fragmented Self combines shamanism and psychology to explain the effects of trauma that cause parts of the soul to leave the body and the process by which the part(s) can be retrieved.

According to Ingerman, “The basic premise is whenever we experience trauma, a part of our vital essence separates from us in order to survive the experience by escaping the full impact of the pain.”

This quiet occurrence, known as soul
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christina Crawford worked soul retrievals with the woman.
no wire hangers!!!
The first time I read anything about soul retrieval was in one of Lynn V. Andrew's books about her experiences with shamanism (she has great books by the way!). Anyways, since then, it is a topic that has always had my curiosity. What I like about this book, while the author does discuss shamanism and it may seem alien to some readers (I'm pagan so nothing is too "woo woo" for me haha) she does offer some good techniques that could be implemented into one's own practice be it counseling, metaphy ...more
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I love about Sandra Ingerman is her integrity. She sincerely believes in the work, and therefore maintains an incredibly high standard of ethics. She knows how to relay complicated ideas into easy-to-understand concepts. She just has a way...

With that, I have to say that I LOVED reading this book. The stories and theories were incredibly engaging, and I found that throughout the time I spent reading Soul Retrieval, my own memories of Soul loss came through spontaneously; ones I would never
Michael Daley
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Written in a matter of fact way, this book opens the door to the possibility that there is more to the world than we can normally experience. Sandra offers a way to understand the dragging afflictions of life in a completely new way that instantly resonates on some deep level. It may be easy to see her way as a metaphorical explaination of a psychological process, but I look forward to mulling over the truth of what she offers to those of us who feel 'something' is missing.
Sep 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
A fascinating and highly laudable marriage of shamanism and psychology. Especially relevant in Western societies where 1 in 4 people are affected by mental disorders and there is growing realisation of the genealogical background of issues such as child abuse. The author is a professional psychologist who will restore a balanced vision to those who find themselves blinded by science. Another milestone in my understanding.
Shamanic work can be seen as mystical and the author shares her personal Medicine with the reader. Shaman deal with the spiritual aspect of illness or segregation of the self. It is a journey into an altered reality to re-claim parts of the self that have been lost or misplaced due to a variety of traumas. She holds your interest and recaptures experiences through the use of her personal experiences.
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
This isn't exactly a 'how-to' book. There are several exercises in the book, from how to set intention to releasing stolen bits of another's soul. While a good deal of the soul retrieval process is described, it is not given step by step. This process isn't for beginners.

Ingerman does a good job of explaining the causes of soul loss and its effects on a person. She also describes, supplimented with ancedotes from some of her clients, what tends to happen after a soul retrieval as well.
Samantha Wlazlak The Writers Web Archive
This is a very thorough and therapuetic book. It really gets to the root of psychological issues and goes beyond what you would expect from traditional western mental health therapy programs, in my opinion. It explains the symptoms and causes of soul loss and the process of doing a soul retrieval. This is a great reference book to add to an in-home library that you can pick up and read anytime.
Thankful Reader
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
Although, I am not completely convinced that non-ordinary reality exists this book is so much more. I found many spiritual truths and incites to the human condition in this book. This was a pleasurable read. At times, I had to put it down and really ponder what the author had written. I look forward to investigating non-ordinary reality more.
Read this for a group I'm in. Tried to keep an open mind but was very skeptical. By the end, I was more interested and open. The second to the last chapter was most accessible to felt like gentle guidance on how to begin loving yourself.
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great introduction to shamanic ritual of sould retrieval! Some very important points and explanations on the effects of lost soul. Very poignant exapmples that make this process understandable and touching.
Spider Goddess
Oct 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book, and very well written. I enjoyed this a great deal. Her techniques and experience with soul retrieval is well informed and the author uses a great many examples to give the reader a fuller understanding of the topic.
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
A fascinating explanation of something I'd previously never heard of, and that makes perfect sense (at least to me). This book has reignited my interest in shamanism, which I've neglected in recent years.
Jul 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Initially read a couple of years ago for my Shamanic Practitioner class. Re-read again recently for my Hypnotherapy and my actual Soul retrieval class in my Shamanic study series. A great book! I love doing and hearing about Soul Retrievals!
Apr 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
good introduction to north american shamanic practice
Much simpler and more direct than Villoldo's book. She was in fact his mentor and now is his associate.
Linda T.
Mar 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book was required reading during a two-year apprenticeship that I was a part of. Even if one isn't a Shaman, it's important reading and extremely insightful.
Mar 11, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting read. Like most of these books, take what you like out of it and leave the rest.
Bill Blocksom
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous! It is so much more than I thought it would be: a powerful tool and empowering outlooks for healing ourselves, others and our planet! Thank you, Sandra zinger man!
  • Shaman, Healer, Sage: How to Heal Yourself and Others with the Energy Medicine of the Americas
  • Shamanism as a Spiritual Practice for Daily Life
  • Fire in the Head: Shamanism and the Celtic Spirit
  • The Woman in the Shaman's Body: Reclaiming the Feminine in Religion and Medicine
  • The Way of the Shaman
  • Animal-Wise: The Spirit Language and Signs of Nature
  • Singing the Soul Back Home: Shamanic Wisdom for Every Day
  • Urban Shaman
  • The Celtic Shaman: A Handbook (Earth Quest)
  • The Shamanic Way of the Bee: Ancient Wisdom and Healing Practices of the Bee Masters
  • The World of Shamanism: New Views of an Ancient Tradition
  • The Four-Fold Way: Walking the Paths of the Warrior, Teacher, Healer, and Visionary
  • Entering the Circle: Ancient Secrets of Siberian Wisdom Discovered by a Russian Psychiatrist
  • Plant Spirit Shamanism: Traditional Techniques for Healing the Soul
  • Animal Spirit Guides: An Easy-to-Use Handbook for Identifying and Understanding Your Power Animals and Animal Spirit Helpers
  • The Celtic Way of Seeing: Meditations on the Irish Spirit Wheel
  • Dreaming the Soul Back Home: Shamanic Dreaming for Healing and Becoming Whole
  • Trance-Portation Learning to Navigate the Inner World
Sandra Ingerman, MA, is the author of 8 books, 7 CD programs and the creator of Transmutation App. She is a world renowned teacher of shamanism and has been teaching for over 30 years.

She teaches workshops internationally on shamanic journeying, healing, and reversing environmental pollution using spiritual methods. She has trained and founded an international alliance of Medicine for the Earth
More about Sandra Ingerman...

Nonfiction Deals

• Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God
    $15.99 $2.99
  • Twilight of the Elites: America After Meritocracy
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Art of Living: The Classical Manual on Virtue, Happiness, and Effectiveness
    $10.49 $1.99
  • The Crosswicks Journals: A Circle of Quiet, The Summer of the Great-Grandmother, The Irrational Season, and Two-Part Invention
    $29.99 $3.99
  • Come to the Edge
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Art of Communicating
    $9.49 $2.99
  • American Jezebel
    $8.24 $1.99
“The earth will support anything that supports life. What I have found after a soul retrieval is that one cannot "numb out" anymore. Each and every one of us must make personal and planetary decisions to stop abusing life. Whether a person a has to give up an abusive relationship, take a more active political role, or increase awareness of how we continue to abuse our environment, we all now have to be responsible. Being responsible means responding to what is needed. We find a need to wake up and change our reality to a stance of power...” 5 likes
“Most people think we believe our experience. This is not true; we experience what we believe.” 2 likes