Start by marking “Murder in Provence (Maggie Newberry Mysteries, #3)” as Want to Read:
Murder in Provence (Maggie Newberry Mysteries, #3)

Murder in Provence (Maggie Newberry Mysteries #3)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  647 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
The third installment in the Maggie Newberry mysteries, this book takes the reader further into the sleepy little French town, of St. Buvard where Maggie and her new husband discover not one but four murders to spice up their tenure in Provence

Smart, sassy and decidedly un-French Maggie Newberry and her hunky French-chef husband are solving mysteries in Provence and eating
Published August 11th 2011 by San Marco Press (first published July 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Murder in Provence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in Provence

Carlin
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-kindle
I've now read #1,#6 and this one #3 in the Maggie Newberry series (in that order), all free via BookBub. I had planned to read them all before going to France last month but now I'm glad I didn't. It was so nice to really be able to picture the town of St. Buvard, the vineyards climbing up the hills, the grape harvesting, the mistral wind, Arles with its cobbled streets, narrow alleys and street cafes.

I loved this book. Maggie has certainly grown on me since the first one, Murder in the South o
Sandra Jackson
Oct 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Poor editing marred readability

The story line was fine but the editing or lack of, took away from the enjoyment and readability of the book. Sometimes even the characters names were mixed up.
Sherry Fundin
Maggie has decided to write a cookbook because she is bored and her husband, Laurent, is a chef. She doesn’t know anything about cooking, but she figures she can get all she needs from him. It is driving him crazy. He seems to spend more time in the vineyard and with his friends at the bar than her.

Everyone had heard of the murder of the nurse who worked at the same hospital as Yves. It had been two weeks and there was no arrest or suspect in sight.

Maggie was losing her best friend, Grace, who w
Jeanne
Oct 20, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My first and last read of this series. The story follows the main character Maggie, a bored newlywed who has relocated to France. She decides to write a cookbook but does not cook. Her best friend Grace, who is returning to live in the US, introduces her to a local artist Marie. They spend many hours meeting for lunch and at sometimes volatile family dinners. Maggie meets Marie's daughter Brigitte and decides this will be her new BFF. But Brigitte is murdered the day after they meet. Bored Maggi ...more
Nicole Henke
May 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a super quick read! I think I would have been more comfortable reading the previous books in the series first though. The author gives you some background info, but you just feel like you haven't heard the whole story, and might be missing some key elements that are the reason for the way the primary characters react the way they do. But it's not a bad little read. I have to admit I did not see the ending coming! Some clues were there, but I just guessed wrong. Bummer, but good for the ...more
Christine
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a free book from a Goodreads writer..the story was really good , there were a few typos, but that did not hurt the story. There was a great mystery, the refences to food, I enjoyed some of the characters, and some I did not. I would recommend this to my friends.
Jill
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-read
Great cozy mystery book with lots of twists and turns. The descriptions of the scenery and surroundings will make you want to visit France, and all the talk of recipes and French food will make you hungry! This book will keep you guessing right up to the end.
Dana
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I probably would have liked it no matter what because it combines two of my favorites - France and mysteries. But this was a really well written, enjoyable book with a good mystery. I already ordered the other books in the series and can't wait to read them.
Amy
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was better than I expected! It was really interesting, it pulls you into the story. You connect with the characters in the book, you can't help but continue reading. I couldn't put the book down. I would definitely recommend this book to others!
Nancy Luebke
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this who done it, kept me guessing till the end of the book. I also liked how this author painted pictures with her words. It kept bringing images to mind from time to time.
Lynn
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love, friendship, and murder in the beautiful setting of Provence. An enjoyable read that kept me guessing to the end! I will definitely return to the series!
Kathy Church
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished reading and this was a very good book. I am going to have to read the first two now to see what I have missed. This book grabs hold of you from the first chapter.
Georgette
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Somehow I started this series in order, but that didn't last long- so I can assure you that while I read the book that introduced Maggie and Laurent, I seem to have skipped a book in between. It did not make one iota of difference in my enjoyment of Murder in Provence. I will be reading #2 in the near future, Murder in the South of France (or Nice). Having picked up and packed up and moved to France with her 'reformed' con artist now husband, Maggie is now living what promises to be a wonderful ...more
Matt Tarasuk
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The third in the Margie Newberry series did not disappoint, and I enjoyed this complex whodunit of French relationships gone bad.
The food, wine, scenery, culture and ambience of Provence are intertwined in every page of these stories.
I look forward to seeing where the next adventure takes Maggie and Laurent.
Sandra Gaultois
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this one in the series. They are really growing on me :)
Loretta
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good story! I didn't care much for all the French words. They kept my train of thought stopping, therefore the flow of the story for me took too much time.
M M
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Though the ending was very well done, the main character, Maggie, drove me crazy. Hope the series gets better.
June
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A Murder in Provence (Maggie Newberry Mysteries #3)
by Susan Kiernan-Lewis
Genre: cozy mystery

This is the first book of the series that I have read, and while there were tantalizing references, I had no problem following the plot or enjoying the story. As a matter of fact, I'm going to go back and read the others, although I would think that this novel contained spoilers for the previous ones....*c'est la vie*

According to her friends in Atlanta, Georgia, Maggie is "living the life" in a vineyard w
Jodi
May 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It is a mystery at its best.

With the third instalment in the Maggie Newberry Mystery Series Susan Kiernan-Lewis once again brings the unlikely amateur sleuth into action. An American transplanted to the small town of St-Buvard, France, Maggie lives on a vineyard with her super sexy ex-conman husband Laurent. But she is hopelessly homesick so she has created a make work project of writing a cookbook to keep her mind busy, which proves to be a daunting task given the f
Quetzi Fernald
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amongst one of the best mysteries I have read so far this year! I started reading MURDER IN PROVENCE in the evening & I always know when a book is great when I fall asleep & dream about the characters in the book! I couldn't wait to get up the next morning & continue reading this book. The main character, Maggie Newberry, is an Ex Patriot who is living in Provence with her handsome French husband, Laurent. She's working on writing a French cookbook, but is having a terri ...more
ChrisGA
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the first quarter of the book, we are leisurely introduced to the Maggie, Grace, and Marie and the little French town they live in. We learn of the marital situations of each as well as the peculiarities of Marie’s daughters. The rape and murder of a nurse is only mentioned as part of dinner party conversation. They are all much more interested in their own concerns: Grace getting ready to move to California, Maggie trying to adjust to marriage and filling her idle time with haphazardly writ ...more
Christine Cunningham

This story is about an unlikely American sleuth in a small town in France. Maggie has a rather uneventful life and takes on the project of writing a cookbook of American tastes in France. She drives her husband, the owner of a vineyard and excellent cook, to distraction. He often shoos away her inquiries driving Maggie to seek entertainment/answers for her cookbook elsewhere. Maggie has few friends and one of her friends Grace is moving back to the US, and Maggie goes in search of a rep
Sheila
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laurent and Maggie are having problems communicating without fighting. Maggie's not sure what the problem is but she finds herself on the end of temptation with sexy detective Roger Bedard who is investigating the murders of women who have a connection with the local hospital. Who is murdering these women and why?

I enjoyed Murder in Provence. I thought I had it figured out early in the book but I was so wrong. The murders are not pretty but the mystery is well done. There is just enough informat
Kristina
I teetered on the verge of three stars, so lets say 3 and a half stars while reminding everyone that three does mean I 'liked it.' I decided on four though because although I don't think I would say four stars in conversation, I did like it enough to want to read the two books that come before this one. I am not sure if that is just because I always grow attached to characters though.

One of the things I did really love about this book is the characters. All of them were very well fleshed out and
Ronna
Aug 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: author-give-away
French countryside, French food, and a sexy French husband are not quit fulfilling American transplant, Maggie Newberg's life in her French country vineyard. Plus, her best friend is returning to the states.  Though Maggie is trying to fill her time writing a French cookbook with a twist, she's just finding that to be one more annoying part of her dull and duller days. Besides that,  she can't cook and her chef husband isn't cooperating or collaborating as she had wished .

Then people start dyin
Caryn
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Increasingly unlikable heroine

I got a couple of the books in this series for free, and as I enjoyed the setting, continued to read it. I do like reading series, getting to know characters better with each sequel. The problem with this series, beyond the improbable plot details ... which I expect in an amateur sleuth cozy mystery ... is that the "heroine" is almost completely self-absorbed, petulant, lazy and absurdly smug and condescending, particularly given that she doesn't seem to do much bes
Lara
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r2r
I received this book free from the author in return for an honest review. When I began reading this book I didn't know that it is the third book in a series. Fortunately, the author gives enough background that I was comfortable with the relationships yet she did not provide spoilers.

The main character is a creative writer living with her new husband in rural France. She hasn't found her place yet, and is somewhat homesick for the US. She has just begun to expand her circle of friends when one
Gail
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks Susan I received my copy in the mail today. I am going to take it on my trip to read. Looking forward to reading it.I had entered to win a copy but I hadn't and the author was nice enough to send me a copy of the book if I would review it. It is a nice cozy mystery. A good beach read. it had lots of twists and turns and I didn't know who the murderer was until the end of the book. I usually know before than. Maggie is trying to write a french cookbook but knows nothing about cooking and i ...more
Gloria Antypowich
May 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Murder in Provence (Maggie Newberry Mysteries) (Kindle Edition) by Susan Kiernan-Lewis

I enjoyed this book which is woven around murder, mystery, romance, and intrigue. Maggie (Newberry) Dernier, who is a would be cookbook author, becomes an amateur slueth in her quest to find the answers to the riddle that runs the plot the plot of the book.

This book was very descriptive of the area in which it is set and the characters were engaging. There were several twists and turns in the story line, and a
Sally Stackhouse
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
I didn't realise this was book three when I downloaded it.

Unfortunately it was such a struggle to enjoy and read because it contained typos, missing words, extra words and the wrong words used i.e. marker instead of market.

The three female characters all have similar names, Maggie, Marie and Magdalene which I found quite confusing. The plot jumps around so much that you are not sure where or when you are in the story line.

The plot is rather unbelievable as are the characters. Maggie is married
  • The Marais Assassin (Victor Legris, #4)
  • It's a Vet's Life (Talyton St George, #4)
  • That Autumn in Edinburgh
  • Make Your Own Luck
  • Main Street Murder (Jake & Emma Mystery #2)
  • Just Different Devils (Hetta Coffey Series #7)
  • Dead in the Water (Rebecca Schwartz, #4)
  • The Company You Keep (Kendra Clayton Mysteries, #1)
  • Artfully Yours (Maggie Kean Misadventures, #3)
  • Riptide (Florida Panhandle Mystery, #2)
  • Sweet Delicious Madness and the Many Mysterious Deaths of Silvio Berlusconi (Kissed in Italy Mystery, #1)
  • Never Haunt A Historian (Leigh Koslow Mystery #7)
  • Multiple Motives (A Kate Huntington Mystery, #1)
  • Sedition (Political Conspiracy #1)
  • Seeing Trouble (Deadwood Shorts, #1)
  • Code of Silence (Ben Reese, #6)
  • Golden Eggs and Other Deadly Things (Carrie Carlin - Book 4)
  • Three's a Crowd (Patrick Shea Mystery, #1)

Maggie Newberry Mysteries (10 books)
  • Murder in the South of France (Maggie Newberry Mysteries, #1)
  • Murder à la Carte (Maggie Newberry Mysteries, #2)
  • Murder in Paris (The Maggie Newberry Mystery Series, #4)
  • Murder in Aix (The Maggie Newberry Mystery Series #5)
  • Murder in Nice (The Maggie Newberry Mystery #6)
  • Murder in the Latin Quarter (The Maggie Newberry Mystery Series #7)
  • Murder in the Abbey (Maggie Newberry Mysteries, #8)
  • Murder in the Bistro (The Maggie Newberry Mysteries Book 9)
  • Murder in Cannes (The Maggie Newberry Mysteries Book 10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
  • A Small Indiscretion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
  • The Snow Garden
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • While the Savage Sleeps
  • The Technologists
  • A Density of Souls
  • Plea of Insanity
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Away from the Dark (The Light, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Missing, Presumed (DS Manon, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Use
  • The Husband
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Emma's Secret
  • She's Not There
  • Heart Collector
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Room with a Clue (Pennyfoot Hotel #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $2.00
“night because of the wafting odors, were out of sight and silent from this distance. The narrow inhospitable alley was filthy” 0 likes