Start by marking “The Last Dancer (The Continuing Time, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Last Dancer  (The Continuing Time, #3)

The Last Dancer

(The Continuing Time #3)

The Manhattan-based Unification government controls the earth, but rebellion brews in Occupied America as the American Revolution's tricentennial approaches. Denice Castanaveras, one of only two genetically engineered telepaths to escape destruction by Unification forces (the other is her missing twin brother, David) enters political life by becoming a bodyguard of Unifica ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 594 pages
Published October 1st 1993 by Spectra

To ask other readers questions about The Last Dancer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Dancer

Ric
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a hard enough book to understand without at least some idea of what the previous books in the series are about. Here is quick summary:

Book 1 - Emerald Eyes, pub. 1988. 5 stars. Introduces the genegineered humans, or genies, characterized by green eyes. They win emancipation from the government but are subsequently nuked by the Peacekeepers, or PKF. Several manage to escape.
Book 2 - The Long Run, pub. 1989. 5 stars. Features the genie, Trent. The PKF continue their search for the survivor
Jesse Fennig
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book makes me reluctant to read any forthcoming Continuing Time books.

After devouring Emerald Eyes, The Long Run, and The Last Dancer in the course of a week or so, I found myself at the end of the series, wondering what on earth I had just read. So I restarted it. Emerald Eyes was good, of course, and The Long Run is a delightful romp. The Last Dancer is unparalleled. If you're willing to take the time and think about the metaphysics that are hinted at in the story, and consider the impli
Kerry
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has been on my "want to reread" list for a long while. But I was always aware it was a long book and I kept putting it off. Clearly that wasn't necessary as I read it in about 3 days. I was kind of surprised at just how much I loved it and ended up giving it a 10/10 because the reading experience was so good.

There are some things about it that had dated a little, but as a whole the story is surprisingly good in 2018.

There's one more after this, written much more recently. I'm not sure if I'
Arthur
Aug 01, 2012 rated it liked it
In the 80's, everyone and their brother seemed to recommend that I should read Daniel Moran's "Continuing Time" series. It took me over 20 years to find all the books (yes, they were THAT rare for a long time), but Amazon finally published The Last Dancer in ebook format and I was able to read one more book - I read Emerald Eyes about 10 years ago, and The Long Run a few years after that, but haven't been able to find The Last Dancer until now. While I freely admit that DKM was relatively good a ...more
Ryan McCormack
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fantastic book in many ways, though frustrating in some. In particular, I didn't feel like the ending worked here. It was a bit too Star Trek, where everything wraps up in a neat little bow quickly at the end. Even so, this book finally digs into the weird future-bending narratives that the first two books only alluded to. Keys-Moran manages to create a rich cast of harassers and explore lots of interesting ideas. Another great read in the Continuing Time series.
Wm Pope
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Re-reading this book after many years. Moving, repacking, trying to decide what books stay and what books go. This one will stay.

The Last Dancer is well written and presents some interesting moral and philosophical questions. It ties physicality to spirituality and questions how physical attainment (perfection?) is tied to morality. It examines the quality of selfishness and contrasts it to duty and service.
Mel
Aug 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I like Denice Castanaveras so much, that I'd gladly be her. Robert Dazai Yo is the teacher I always wished I had. Trent is the lover/best friend that makes me wish someone wrote me letters like that. And then there are the rest of the people whose stories are told in this book...they too are remarkable, well-crafted, seem real.
One gets the sense that DKMoran is truly one of the most inventive, wise, startlingly likeable thinkers of our time.
Bloody good.
jackie
Nov 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
wow!! lei wang recommended this book to me, and it took me awhile to get down to finding it (not in libraries, not available on kindle, i ended up buying it second-hand on amazon), but really glad i did. an epic sci-fi story that spans tens of thousands of years and isn't totally philosophically depressing... i think i may have started from the end of this series, but i'll be checking out the rest of them. =)
Will Wesson
Sep 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up because it was a staff recommendation at an indie bookstore in Portland, despite the caveat that the other books in the series were out of print. It's a ripping good read, and that was fifteen years ago, when you had to make the rounds of used book stores and dig for things. Brilliantly encompasses everything the far future was supposed to hold back then, it's pretty perfect.
Steve
It is important to read the first two books in this series before tackling this one. The plot is teasingly, pleasingly tangled, and your thought process is just as important as the written words. Over all, a rewarding read, albeit difficult.
Althia
May 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book, Denise and Trent and all the others. This was science fiction in the most literal sense back when I first read it. I wanted to be in this world! It was scary as hell but seemed worth it.
Tiaret
Oct 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
this was a great book, it really influenced the way I looked at things. The whole thing with dancing and killing, it made a lot of sense. If you are going to be good at something give it all kinds of rituals and meanings.
Christine Steendam
Sep 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book a few years ago at a second hand store just by chance and was immediately hooked. Upon finding out it was the third in a series I quickly went in search of the other two. My only complaint is that there are only 3 books in the series. I wasn't ready for the story to end.
David
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked it. Not quite Weber or Ringo quality but worth a read. After buying the first three books from Amazon i realized you can download them for free in DKM mirror website. Go to the wiki for him for a link.
Jefree
Sep 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A far reaching drama of the somewhat near future with a large array of memorable characters and a thick plot. Great action scenes and practical philosophy. The story is told from all sides. Stands alone in the series as far as I'm concerned.
Steve
Jun 29, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Steve by: old pal D
Shelves: science-fiction
Just reread this book by once promising and now little known author. "Hard" science fiction, near future, well executed preview of the emerging new web from a late 'eighties vantage point. All that with strong of off-beat anti-authoritarian anarchist politics.
Ryan Hull
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book got panned in Publisher's Weekly but I enjoyed the hell out of it years ago. I wonder if it's still any good or if that was the opinion of a younger version of me....
Amy Nicolai
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an ending!!!

I won't spoil it for you... but wow.

As for the rest - lots of drama, a bit too much infodump. Overall a very good story and well worth reading.
Jimm779
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the best science fiction book I have every read and I've been reading for 40 years.
Luis
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Frustrating - I love what the author is trying to do, but just can't help but think he bit off more than he could chew. Still, a fun read.
bluetyson
The Last Dancer (Limited Edition) by Daniel Keys Moran (2002)
Jeff
Sandi
Jan 14, 2013
Jess Nixon
Sep 10, 2015
  • The Final Key (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #11; The Triad, #2)
  • So Vile a Sin
  • Stranded
  • Fool's Run
  • Fires of Nuala
  • Pirates of the Thunder (Rings of the Master, #2)
  • Masha
  • Apocalypse Array (LINK Angel, #4)
  • The Gate of Fire (Oath Of Empire Book Two)
  • Children of Morrow
  • I Dare (Liaden Universe, #13)
  • The Dying Days
  • The Sons of Heaven (The Company, #8)
  • Plague from Space
  • Falcon
  • The Barbed Rose (One Rose Trilogy, #2)
  • Brother to Dragons, Companion to Owls
  • A Matter for Men (War Against the Chtorr #1)

The Continuing Time (4 books)
  • Emerald Eyes  (The Continuing Time, #1)
  • The Long Run: A Tale of the Continuing Time  (The Continuing Time, #2)
  • The A.I. War: The Big Boost  (The Continuing Time, #4)
“Downsiders," said the clown, "never look up.” 2 likes
“There are a great many women in the world. But in your entire life you only get a few friends.” 1 likes