Start by marking “Death & Magic (The Barefoot Healer #1)” as Want to Read:
Death & Magic (The Barefoot Healer #1)

Death & Magic (The Barefoot Healer #1)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  21 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
When apprentice wizard Adramal moves to a new school to complete her training, she discovers that several ritual murders have been committed by magic, threatening the fabric of the world. The evidence points to the killer being one of Adramal’s teachers, and the City Watch recruit her to go undercover to unmask the murderer. Can she find what she needs before the killer st ...more
Nook
Published July 10th 2011 by Smashwords (first published July 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Death & Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death & Magic

Katie
Oct 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow!! The world and atmosphere that Steven has created is beyond words. Languages, races, villages, cities and characters all created into a world that is like no other. The bonus material found on Steven’s website is amazing and well worth having a look at. The structures and overall picture helps put everything into place that is detailed within the book.

Adramal is a seventeen year old wizard. She was living with her Father and also being tutored by her Father who is an infamous wizard. Becaus
Rachel Cotterill
A murder mystery in a set in a magical world, this book does indeed revolve around the elements of its title. But it also focuses on Adramal, a young woman who leaves her home town to escape a difficult relationship with her father, and finds herself embroiled in events far beyond her understanding as she also has to deal with more typical teenage concerns like bullying and first romance. There are hints at a great deal of epic history, and I hope more of this will come out in the sequel. Overal ...more
Erica
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sorry it took so long for my review. But great job. The only reason I can't rate it 5 stars is because some character emotions could be better expressed. The writing you used to convey emotion was, by no means, bad. But I tend to get annoyed when writers say things like "Hope rolled over her like clouds gathering before a storm." Sorry if I messed up the quote--I remembered that one, cause I really like it. I liked your imagery, mind. But a pet peeve of mine is when writers use things like that ...more
pidge
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've been a long time in getting to this review, so forgive me if I'm a bit unclear at parts. :)

Death & Magic is a blend between fantasy and mystery - so if you love one or both, this is a great book for you. It follows the story of our easily relatable protagonist Adramal, an apprentice wizard and healer.

Couldn't put it down - I read the whole thing in one sitting! Congratulations to Mr. Pemberton for his great writing. ^_^ I will be awaiting the sequel.
Lynne Cantwell
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Apprentice wizard Adramal, daughter of a well-known wizard, is shipped off to a new magic academy, where her father won't hamper her magical growth. On her way, she finds herself involved in a murder investigation. The authorities believe a wizard has committed the murders -- something wizards are sworn against.

Part fantasy, part murder mystery, "Death & Magic" is an enjoyable read.
Calico
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Steven manages to convincingly pull you into an intricate world filled with magic, secrets, murders and lies. Within the first few pages I was already immersed into Adramal's world, and dragged into the inner workings of her mind with the help of Lelsarin, a strange girl like creature whose existence is shrouded in even more mystery the further the story goes.
Everything in the story is there for a reason, and Adramal is thrown into the very middle of Kyer Altamar's problems - the murders! After
Ciaran Quirke
Jul 09, 2016
Ashwini
May 04, 2017
Steven Pemberton
Sep 17, 2011 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Kelly/yllektra
Leonardo Ferreira
is currently reading it
Feb 21, 2015
5207105
Steven was born in England in 1970, the son of a librarian and a teacher. It was probably inevitable, therefore, that he would grow up loving books and the imaginary worlds they conjure. He now lives in Hertfordshire with his partner, where he works as a software developer.

If you'd like to be the first to know about new releases, you can join Steven's mailing list at http://eepurl.com/_5EDX
More about Steven J. Pemberton...

The Barefoot Healer (4 books)
  • Plague & Poison (The Barefoot Healer #2)
  • Dust & Water (The Barefoot Healer #3)
  • Stone & Silence (The Barefoot Healer #4)