Start by marking “Grandpa Hates the Bird:Six Short Stories of Exciting, Hilarious and Possibly Deadly Adventure” as Want to Read:

“Alas, it is true. Grandpa hates me. He has always hated me, even before I used his ear as a swing toy (his lobes are so long and flappy!). I can’t imagine why. I assume Grandpa hates me simply because I am the bird—and he is not.”

Everybody loves Bird. Joseph and Maya, Mother and Father, Humphrey the dog, Slick the snake. Everyone except Grandpa, who will stop at nothing t
Published 2011 by Telemachus Press, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Grandpa Hates the Bird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grandpa Hates the Bird

Jill Elizabeth
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I bring you a fabulous book in today’s review. Grandpa Hates the Bird, by Eve Yohalem, is a collection of short stories about the adventures of the eponymous Bird and the misadventures of the eponymous Grandpa. My review copy was graciously provided free of charge by the author.

I admit that I’m a bit obsessed with unified short story collections/interwoven stories lately, as evidenced by last week’s post. But do not, for one second, think that is why I am giving this collection such a rave revi
Heidi
I believe this is the first book I have ever read where the character telling the story is a bird. This surprises me a little because it really is a fabulous idea. Yohalem brings Bird to life wonderfully. I found myself laughing my way through each of the six stories in this book. One of the things that makes it funny is the fact that Bird himself seems so clueless as to why Grandpa hates him, but the reader figures it out very quickly. The second reason the book is funny is of course the way Bi ...more
Ciska
Dec 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Eve Yohalem majored in music and literature, after a short career as professional singer she went into publishing. Aware that these where not the most practical skills to have she got her MBA. She started building a website which was bought by a big company for whom she continued working. She stopped working for the company cause she did not really had pleasure in her work anymore and she wanted to take care of her two little kids. She started writing cause she likes to create new things. Initia ...more
Emily

Recommended Age: +13

Reviewed By: Emily Tuley / AngelsCryHavoc

Blog Reviewed For: Great Minds Think Aloud Literary Community

Rating: 5 Ravens

Often times we look for a book that will just give you a good tickle to that funny bone and make you laugh. Something that will break into what may be a boring typical day or just when you need a good laugh. This book definitely did that f
Steph
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved how this story was written from Bird's point of view. As a petowner, I wish that I could know what was running through their brains at various intervals of the day. Poor Bird cannot understand why Grandpa hates him, but it is obvious to me that Bird just doesn't understand the ways of the human world. However, I did find myself laughing almost entirely throughout the book from reading all of Bird's little antics. I couldn't have asked for a more adorable book.
Loony Gryphon
Absolutely hilarious! Bird will surely make you laugh, as for Grandpa, I can't help but feel sorry for him. Bird should really try to be nicer to Grandpa, since if it wasn't for Grandpa (and Grandma), he wouldn't have the family that he loves so much. The last short little story is my favorite. A quick enough read that will bring a smile to your face and more than a few laughs.
Kathy
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read were we learn about the expriences of the family pet named "Bird" and how he and Grandpa do not like each other. The stories are from the point of view of the Bird and how he sees us humans and how he always seems to get the upper hand when dealing with grandpa. These were fun to read and well written. I would give these to my nine year old daughter for her to enjoy.
KyBunnies
This is a wonderful book for a child. It has something ever child needs...LAUGHTER. This is a great book to read to your child or allow the child to read it their-self. The author has this book written at a child's level but it is a great book for any age if you need some laughter in your life.
Deranged Pegasus
A very adorable book. It was interesting to have the book written from the bird's perspective and the different outlook they have on life was beautifully done. The speech of the book was simple along with the tales and yet were an immense pleasure to read.
Sylvia
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animal
OMG! Is it just me or are these books hilarious! We have Bird of course and grandpa who hates Bird. The two grand kids have to keep a close eye on grandpa. Maybe they should be watching bird too! :-)
Michael Dennis
is currently reading it
Apr 19, 2016
Rymo Youssef
May 09, 2016
I write books for kids. My first novel is called Escape Under the Forever Sky. It’s about the 13-year old daughter of the American ambassador to Ethiopia who gets kidnapped and has to find her way to freedom. I’ve also written a series of dark comic short stories for younger readers, inspired my dark comic dad, called Grandpa Hates the Bird. My latest book is Cast Off: The Strange Adventures of Pe ...more