Start by marking “Myth-Ion Improbable” as Want to Read:
Myth-Ion Improbable

Myth-Ion Improbable (Myth Adventures #11)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  2,565 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Skeeve is feeling rather restless and suddenly remembers the treasure map he bought on his last adventure. Knowing Aahz's lust for money, he shows him the map. Quicker than a Deveel at the Bazaar of Deva can take your possessions, they were off to find the Golden Cow! There were a few problems, aren't there always. Tanda decides that she is in on the hunt; for a share, of ...more
Paperback
Published September 1st 2001 by Meisha Merlin Publishing (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Myth-Ion Improbable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Myth-Ion Improbable

Evgeny
Sep 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
For personal reasons I will mention briefly below Robert Lynn Asprin decided to write a book which takes place between books 3 and 4. Thus Skeeve's team finished with the Big Game (the funniest part of the series, hands down; it happened in the book 3) and is busy - or bored - with the routine of being a Royal Magician. To makes things a little more interesting he showed Aazh a trinket he bought from a street bum in one of the dimensions he had traveled with Tanda in search of the birthday prese ...more
Patrick
Mar 07, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
So somehow I just found out that the writer of this series I was really into in sixth grade started writing the books again, so I had to check it out. It revolved around a young magician's apprentice named Skeeve, and his mentor, a demon named Aahz, and their "myth-adventures." Back then, I had found a few of the books left on the shelves in the room I used to share with my brother, and was totally into the series, the genre of which I guess would be considered "fantasy-comedy," bordering on sat ...more
Jessica
Nov 09, 2008 rated it it was ok
I couldn't do it. I know that Asprin threw this book out to his Myth fans in an attempt to recapture the voice of Skeeve and Aahz in the beginning of the series, but this just didn't do it.

The story was whack. The plot was confusing and ridiculous. Tanda was half a step above a body-length pillow, and Aahz was just downright mean. Skeeve was - well, he was Skeeve, without all the witty dialogue and insightful questions.

It's so sad, but I think the voice of Skeeve and Aahz, the ones that I fell i
Wiebke (1book1review)
This book takes us back to an earlier time of Skeeve's adventures and it is delightful to see his lack of knowledge and stupidity and also the many things he just doesn't understand or misunderstand.

I was a little confused why Tananda was called Tanda most of the novel, not sure why but it put me off every time her name appeared.

Other than that a fun treasure hunt for a golden cow.
melydia
Jun 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been at least a decade since I last read any of the Mythadventures books. Luckily, I've read the series at least twice (probably three times) so reading this book was like getting reacquainted with old friends, especially since it takes place between books three and four (there are twelve total). Here's the plot in a nutshell: our hero Skeeve, his grumpy mentor Aahz, and their lovely ex-assassin friend Tananda find a treasure map that leads them to a dimension of vegetarian cowboys who fear ...more
Matthew Green
Dec 14, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No. Sorry. Bad. Wrong.
Did not enjoy this. I find the rest of the series (at least the first 9 books) kind of silly and absurd and not great reading in any way, but amusing enough. This, on the other hand, was not up to par. I understand that Asprin was coming off of personal difficulties and hadn't written these characters in numerous years, but his characterizations were very off, and the light-heartedness that was present in the preceding books was simply gone. The beginning was somewhat redun
Ross
Nov 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: die-hard Myth fans
Shelves: ebooks, 2008, fiction, fantasy
Book 11, but takes place in between books 3 and 4, timeline-wise. Asprin was trying to recapture the old feel of the previous Myth novels, but it lacks some of the spark that the original three do. The characters keep it moving, along with an interesting take on cowboys and vampires, but it still isn't quite as good as the others. Recommended only for die-hard Myth fans.
Ethan
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Myth-ion Improbable by Robert Asprin was the first book of his that I have read. Will definitely have to go back and start at the beginning. Really enjoyed this book.
Ben Shay
My favorite series.
Thomas
Feb 18, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, funny, re-read, 2016
The One About the Old West

Going into my re-read of this series, I knew this one was out of order, chronologically. I knew reading it after Sweet Myth-tery of Life was the proper order for when the novels were published, but I waffled over which way to read it. In the end, I saw that it was listed as book eleven in most listings of the books, and decided to read it in that order. I think it was the right choice, but I think this book would have been terrible either way.

To be fair, Asprin returned
April Brown
Oct 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen, fantasy
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – Twelve and up. While ten to twelve might enjoy it, there are many ideas they will not understand. Though, they will certainly get many of the jokes.

Length? – Most of a day’s read.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – Fantasy, alternate dimensions.

Written approximately? – 2001.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Ready to read more.

Any issues the author
Tom Loock
Aug 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, comedy
Re-read in December 2013. Myth-ion Improbable is .. the first disappointment in this re-reading MYTH-marathon. The basic idea regarding cows & vampires is very funny, but the story is repetitive, both Aahz and Tanda do not contribute to the adventure and are mere mirror images of themselves; (at least the second part of) the book reads like a weak D&D-adventure.

Apparently Robert Lynn Asprin took (had to take?) a long break before this one and it shows. 'Myth-ion Improbable' does not read
Margaret Moller
Oct 06, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first of Asprin's "Myth" books that I've read since I was in high school, and sadly it was very disappointing. It is not nearly as funny as the others in the series, which I quite enjoyed. Aahz does nothing except tell Skeeve how stupid he is (which he does in the other books, but here it seemed excessive), and the "eureka" moment at the end when Skeeve figures out something of great importance about their turncoat guide felt very contrived. The story was very colorless and flat, per ...more
Michael Tildsley
This has to be in the running for one of the best books in the series. Asprin found his muse again here, and the creativity and variety in this novel shows that well.

A treasure hunt, a hop between dimensions and vortexes, a dimension of vegetarians fearful of the cows around them, a surprising class of monsters that feed on the general public, and more make up this volume. I felt like Skeeve was really in danger in this book...at least for a little while.

I felt like keeping the list of heroes
Spigana
Sākumā biju ļoti vīlusies par to, ka šī grāmata hronoloģiski neseko 10. grāmatai, jo mani ļoti interesē, kas tad īsti notika ar Glīpu, bet vispār Asprinam šī vairāku gadu atpūta no mītu sērijas ir nākusi krietni par labu.
Šīs grāmatas notikumi risinās starp trešo un ceturto grāmatu- Skīvs vēl ir Āza māceklis un Posiltas galma burvis.
Šinī grāmatā Asprins beidzot ir atgriezies pie aktīva un raita sižeta un beidzot aktīvi tiek pielietota arī maģija, kas man pietrūka iepriekšējās grāmatās. Īsti neva
Ints
Mar 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vai grāmatu ir vērts lasīt? Ja neesi izlasījis visas iepriekšējās, tad patiešām nav jēgas. Kvalitāte nav uzlabojusies un lasot šo grāmatu kā pirmo var tikai sevi atbaidīt no sērijas. Visādi citādi, ātri izlasāma un vietām smieklīga grāmata. Galvenais iesmiešanas temats ir veģetārieši, kovboji, govis, gani un ganāmpulks. Nekad jau nevar īsti zināt, kurš ir noteicējs. Pasaules iekārtojums robežojas ar absurdu, bet ko ar tām maģiskajām dimensijām var zināt. Vienīgā mācība, kas paliek atmiņā ir – ar ...more
Neil
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was the writer's attempt at trying to recapture the enjoyment of the Myth Adventure series after having let it lay fallow for a number of years. Unfortunately it didn't work too well, Aahz was not the same character of yesteryear, Tanda was rather flat and although being there hardly contributed, Skeeve tried hard but so much of the humour was missing.
The story itself was almost a flashback to the time in their lives at the court of Possiltum, and before they had set up at the bazaar in Dev
Đenis
Apr 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-shelf
Ďalšia oddchovka, dejom zasadená do obdobia, kedy ešte Skeeve s Aahzom obývali Possiltský hrad a miesto dvorného čarodeja. Po nedávnom výlete sa Skeeve nudí, vytiahnie čarovnú mapu a nahovorí Aahza, aby sa vybrali za pokladom, kravou, ktorá dáva zlaté mlieko. Priberú k sebe Tanandu/Tandu a vyrazia za dobrodružstvom. Neviem, či ide o chybu prekladateľa alebo úmysel, ale to večné zamieňanie Tanda/Tananda mi liezlo na nervy. Ale späť k deju, na konci samozrejme nič nie je tak ako sa na prvý pohľad ...more
Megalion
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been re-reading the Myth series for the umpteenth time but hadn't read this one before.

The foreword by Robert Asprin warns that he wrote this book instead of Sweet Mythery of Life because he needed to refresh the Myth world in his head after a long hiatus.

Since I've been reading in published and not chronological order, I can't be sure but from my viewpoint, he does a good job fitting in the story.

Another fun Skeeve & Aahz tale with Tanada along to boot. They go on a treasure hunt fo
Elizabeth
Jun 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mars
Jan 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
the early books of the MYTH Adventures were very awesome, the later ones were ok, and i've been put off for quite a while by the hideousness that was Sweet MYTH-tery of Life, but then stumbled upon this thing and decided to give it a try.
much like the series, the first three quarters or so of the book are pretty good, but then it starts getting repetitive and just not very interesting.

(the big surprise ending was only "unexpected" because I genuinely hoped he'd not do something that... i suppose
East Bay J
Oct 02, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I don’t typically like it when an author decides to go back and fill some gap between previous volumes in a series. It’s hard to keep track of. However, with Myth-ion Improbable, Asprin goes back to the era I like best, when Aahz and Skeeve were a little more footloose and fancy free and not the owners of a business. This chapter of their history is really nutty with all kinds of cowboys, cows and supernatural shenanigans. It’s a real return to form for Asprin and fun to read.

I look forward to s
Jess
Jul 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hero-pov, fantasy
I started the Myth-ion series with the first book, and have hopped around ever since as I run across them. I got this one through bookswim, and was pleased as usual that even though I'm not reading the books in the order written, as usual it doesn't matter. The way Robert writes the novels it's easy to start anywhere in the series, and still enjoy yourself immensely throughout the whole ride. This book had me chuckling and enjoying myself the whole while.
Heather Codename: ♕Dutchess♕
A proper review to come, however, I don't get why everyone is so negative with this story.

It's short, sweet, and to the point. It allows us to see Skeeve and Aahz while Sheeve was still learning, without the focus being on the Kingdom. I'd actually like to see more of these little stories, of JLN would consider doing them.
Diane ~Firefly~
While this is book 11, it is supposed to take place between books 3 and 4. Unfortunately, Asprin didn't capture the correct tone and the characters just aren't quite right. Not to mention (view spoiler) It was even more noticeable how "off" the characters were when reading in order.
Kerry
Jan 02, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I loved the Myth Adventures books in high school, and I picked this up at a booksale unaware he'd started doing them again (writer's block and IRS problems stopped him). A light caper, not as funny as I remember, but it's been a while since I've read any of them. Still better than the Phule series. He's put out 6 more, so I'll check some of them out too.
Gina
Mar 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Quick light read. Was really disappointed that it was a story from Skeeve's & Azh's early days & didn't mention what happened to Gleep at the end of the previous book. But I like the young, naive Skeeve a lot & it was nice to hear that voice again.
Rachel
Sep 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Until I read the intro at the front of this book I didn't realize it was written to fit in between books three and four. I really enjoyed it as the story and characters were more like the beginning of the series then later on. It also had a fun little twist at the end that I hadn't expected.
Shannon Appelcline
An interesting story, well told. The actual setup, when you finally get there, is a bit silly, and I felt like the characterization was a bit off for the time period, but those are relatively minor quibbles.
Rick
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book that was written later but fit into the earlier series. It was good to read one that had the characters just after they all met. Sort of like finding a journal from your childhood.
  • Robert Asprin's Myth-Quoted
  • Castle Perilous (Castle Perilous, #1)
  • The Wizardry Cursed (Wiz, #3)
  • The Warlock Wandering (Warlock, #5)
  • The Callahan Touch (Mary's Place #1, Callahan's #6)
  • The Wood Nymph and the Cranky Saint (Daimbert, #2)
  • The Blood of Ten Chiefs (The Blood of Ten Chiefs, #1)
  • Angry Lead Skies (Garrett P.I., #10)
  • Up in a Heaval (Xanth #26)
  • Sliding Scales (Pip & Flinx #10)
  • The Wizard of Whitechapel (Wizard, #2)
Robert (Lynn) Asprin was born in 1946. While he wrote some stand alone novels such as Cold Cash War, Tambu and The Bug Wars and also the Duncan and Mallory Illustrated stories, Bob is best known for his series fantasy, such as the Myth Adventures of Aahz and Skeeve, the Phule’s Company novels and the Time Scout novels written with Linda Evans. He also edited the groundbreaking Thieves’ World antho ...more
More about Robert Lynn Asprin...

Myth Adventures (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures, #1)
  • Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #2)
  • Myth Directions (Myth Adventures, #3)
  • Hit or Myth (Myth Adventures, #4)
  • Myth-ing Persons (Myth Adventures, #5)
  • Little Myth Marker (Myth Adventures, #6)
  • M.Y.T.H. Inc. Link (Myth Adventures, #7)
  • Myth-Nomers and Im-Pervections (Myth Adventures, #8)
  • M.Y.T.H. Inc. in Action (Myth Adventures, #9)
  • Sweet Myth-Tery of Life (Myth Adventures, #10)
“Don't pick up hitchhikers!"- D. Adams” 11 likes