Start by marking “The Best Ghost Stories” as Want to Read:
The Best Ghost Stories

The Best Ghost Stories

3.06  ·  Rating details ·  139 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Paperback, Large Print, 244 pages
Published October 11th 2007 by BiblioLife (first published January 1st 1919)

To ask other readers questions about The Best Ghost Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Ghost Stories

Doreen Petersen
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
Great read. I really liked it.
Maria Carmo
Apr 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone.
A funny little book, written almost as if it had been a genuine investigation "XIXth. contury style"!

Interesting to think that it was written by the same author who wrote Robinson's adventures out in the wilderness...

Maria Carmo

Lisbon 23 April 2012
Lisa
I read a very old copy of this book that was starting to fall apart, and I think that's a lovely way to read ghost stories.

My favorite story in this collection was "The Man Who Went Too Far" by E.F. Benson. I want to read more of his stuff.

I also liked "The Rival Ghosts" by Brander Matthews, because it's very silly, and I like that someone took it seriously enough to include it in this collection.

"Dey Ain't No Ghosts" by Ellis Parker Butler is written entirely in dialect. The first line is "Once
Abby
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The title is a bit of a misnomer; these can't possibly be the best ghost stories, but the digital copy was free so I have no complaints. It is an anthology and even has some recognizable writers like Kipling. Most of the stories were just okay. None of them were scary. One or two were pretty good (my favorite was "The Rival Ghosts" by Brander Matthews about a man haunted by two ghosts who do not get along), and I enjoyed the nonfiction articles at the end, taken from old newspapers (late 1800s, ...more
Mary
Oct 07, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ghost-stories
As usual with a compilation, hit and miss. There are a couple stories that I think are prime candidates for the Rhetoric of Telling the Ghost Story course I'm composing, The Woman's Tale, but also one that is either (a) a prime example of the principle of nommo, the African conception of the performance of the word to alter the world in constructive ways through repetition, audience participation, and word play, or else (b) just racist. Will do more research.
Scott
Sep 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mostly not so scary stories, but there were two that I enjoyed, meaning that they were compelling and scary. The authors were varied, they included Bierce, Kipling and Defoe. I did enjoy that they included stories about the us Capitol since I work there. I hope to incorporate their stories when I give a tour.
Janith Pathirage
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Casper the ghost meets Anne of Green Gables. 'The Woman's Ghost Story' is one of those great heart warming ghost stories one would ever find !. The redemption of a harmless ghost lies in the hands of a young paranormal investigator. Instead of spooking me, this story brought a tear to my eye. Great piece of work.
Madhura
Apr 06, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
The curiosity of the unknown is what made me read this book. But curiosity killed the cat (or me). Out of the sheer compulsion of finishing a book that I started, I strove to finish it. Despite the "various" authors being big shots like Daniel Defoe, Rudyard Kipling, this collection of ghost stories was a huge disappointment. Wouldn't recommend if you are a fan of horror stories.
Louis Arata
Old-time ghost stories. A few of them were good. The best were "The Woman's Ghost Story" by Algernon Blackwood (quickly becoming one of my favorite writers) and "The Rival Ghosts" (a nice bit of comedy). Unfortunately, there is a racially-stereotyped story included as well. At the end, there are purportedly "true" ghost stories from "reputable" witnesses -- fine, upstanding, sober citizens.
Julia
Dec 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic collection of ghost stories. Some are "true", some are pure fiction. Some are humorous, some are delightfully creepy. Even with a bad digital copy, these really are some of the best ghost stories.
Catherine Czerkawska
Bit surprised the rating of these is so low on Goodreads. I loved them. Good old fashioned spooky stories, but then I'm a Benson fan.
Kevin Gallan
45/397
BubblesTheMonkey
Eh. Not the best ghost stories. There were a few good ones, especially a couple that made you think a bit.
Ioannis Night
Feb 07, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
small letters, kind of boring.
Asura
Apr 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was a little less than alright. It was kind of boring and dull so I couldn't even finish it.
SheLove2Read
Mar 10, 2013 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I'm glad I borrowed this. These are stories from the 1800s and early 1900s. Because of the language and the unbelievable wordiness of the majority of them, this is virtually unreadable.
DNF
Adam
Oct 26, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, these ghost stories were very boring.
Williams
Dec 19, 2014
Paul Hollis
May 17, 2015
Shivanshu
rated it did not like it
Mar 28, 2010
  • Widdershins
  • Way of the Lawless
  • The Young Forester
  • Titanic
  • Jamie's Revenge (The Jenny Penn Collection, #2)
  • On Haunted Ground: The Green Ghost and Other Spirits of Cemetery Road
  • Lincoln Letters
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Thirty-First Annual Collection
  • The Abbot's Ghost: A Christmas Story
  • The Empty House and Other Ghost Stories
  • Of Mice and Murderers (Z-Detective #1)
  • A Kidnapped Santa Claus
Edward Frederic "E. F." Benson was an English novelist, biographer, memoirist, archaeologist and short story writer.
More about E.F. Benson...