Start by marking “Cherry Heaven” as Want to Read:
Cherry Heaven

Cherry Heaven (City Five #2)

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  381 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Kat and Tanka J are starting over. The New Frontier is nothing like war-stricken City Five—no battle scars, no memories of their parents. It's a perfect society, where everyone lives in harmony. Or so they say.

There's me, the ghost in the glass, and there's everyone else on the warm side of the windows. If you're really quiet, you'll hear me creeping in the shadows.

Someone
Library Binding, 464 pages
Published February 5th 2008 by Greenwillow Books (first published February 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Cherry Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cherry Heaven

Carmen
Nov 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Science-Fiction/Fantasy; Teens
If you liked HUNGER GAMES, you might like this. This is a science-fiction/fantasy book. It is the future. Humans have left Earth. Also, they have gills now (but they still live on land). Drug use seems a little bit more common and acceptable. Everyone is gene-stamped. There are three kinds of people. Atsumisi are rich, respected, etc. Mazzini are just okay and Galrezi are spat on. This is the author teaching her readers about race relations. Unknown to the people in society, the politicians and ...more
Sarenna
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, sci-fi, dystopia
Actually 3.5, but rounded to 4 stars.

I read The Diary of Pelly D a while back and remembered liking it. I think I gave that one 4 stars also. This was the companion book to Diary. And it was okay. Not quite as good, but still entertaining. It was a quick, easy read once I got past the punctuation and lack of capitalization in Luka's portion of the story.

The story follows three girls - two sisters Kat and Tanka who move to the New Frontier from City Five and Luka who grew up (sort of) in the New
Bob Rust
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cherry Heaven (2007) the second volume follows its cast into a Utopia also rooted in the distressing early-twenty-first-century circumstances that gave it birth.
Angela
While the jacket declares in several places that LJ Adlington also wrote The Diary of Pelly D, no where does it actually tell you that this is the companion book. From someone who hasn't read Pelly D, it seems like you can read this book without reading the previous one, but you'll probably understand a lot more if you've read Pelly D. At the end of this book, I had a lot of questions about the logistics of this world - questions I'm not sure would have been answered in Pelly D.

Ultimately it's
Katrina
Apr 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of utopain fantasies.
I have always been a fan of utopian fantasies such as 1984 and Brave New World, Cherry Heaven falls into this category and does not disappoint. Of course, the interesting things about these books is the commentary they make on our current society.

The alternate narrations between the Jones sisters and Luka P eventually intertwine as their lives and stories do. Some themes in Cherry Heaven are honesty and the lengths people will go through to gain power.

I think the story idea and the characters
Lucy
Eva Mitnick
In this sequel or companion to The Diary of Pelly D, two teenaged sisters move with their foster parents to the New Frontier. The war in the Five Cities may be over, but devastation and awful memories remain; Kat and Tanka’s parents, both identified as Galrezi and thus inferior, were rounded up and killed 10 years ago.

In a parallel story, teenaged Luka, a Galrezi, has been a virtual slave for the last 10 years, first digging in a quarry and then imprisoned under awful conditions in a flavored-wa
Arminzerella
Maribella
Nov 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cherry Heaven by L.J. Adlington is a book with many twist and turns that make you want to keep reading. What originally attracted me to this book was the book cover and the summary in the back of the book. The cover had pink flowers with barb wire and water with a dark background. The summary caught my attention because it said something about a mysterious ghost coming back to a place, and I love books that have to do with ghosts, suspense,and mystery. Later, as I read on, I found out that ther ...more
Rachael
Apr 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recently reviewed Cherry Heaven for Harperteen. I was very impressed with this book.

The story is set in a futuristic society on a planet other than earth. People are grown in test tubes and have gills. Status is based on the color of the tattoo on your hand, which is based on a gene test. At the top, there are the Atsumisi with their red/silver tattoos. Then, there are the blue/sliver Mazzini. At the bottom are the green/silver Galrezi.

Kat and Tanka Jones moved from City Five to the New Fronti
Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick)
Cherry Heaven was definitely one of the more un-expected page turners I've read this year. I had never heard of it until I checked it out from the library. I sure didn't know it was a companion book either, although I do plan to read the Diary of Pelly D now.

Anyway, onto this little book here.
It's definitely hard to get into, but once you get past the first fifty pages, I was hooked.
Luka's chapters were especially hard to get into in aforementioned first fifty pages, but thye heat up pretty fa
Azuree
Feb 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in a dystopian future, Kat and Tanka move to the frontier with their foster parents where the race disputes are supposed to be over and everyone lives in harmony. Kat soon realizes that things aren't what they seem as a crazed lunatic escapes from the Factory and is on the loose and Kat finds out that people were murdered in the house she's now living in. Kat is a bit too goody-goody and smart, her sister Tanka is the stereotypical pretty & popular mean girl, the story is a bit disjointe ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

History repeats itself.

Everyone left Earth because of all the fighting and destruction of the planet. All these people left for a better chance at life, but they've forgotten their past mistakes.

Kat and Tanka move to the New Frontier with their foster parents ten years after the war killed their real parents. The New Frontier is taking giant leaps in equality for everyone, keeping peace, and helping to rebuild this world.

Unfortunately, there's a
Lexi
Oct 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rachel
Apr 30, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopia

Satisfying companion book to the Diary of Pelly D. I love books like this that draws upon historical and/or current events but removes them from the context we normally see them in and puts them in a new world with sci-fi/fantasy elements. I feel when getting lost in such a story we become more open to self-reflection, both societal and personal, and have an opportunity to decide who we want to become and to do so with a purpose instead of riding along with what's considered "normal".
Jess
Oct 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
Perhaps it because I just read Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and the images from that novel were fresh in my head--- but all I could think about during Luka's narrative was WWII and concentration camps. It took a good 100 pages for me to get into this book, but once I did, I didn't want to put it down. Although I am not typically a fan of SCI FI (I much prefer realistic fiction), the story was believable... which really is quite scary.
Julie
Jul 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
It took me quite awhile to get into this book, but when I did, I couldn't put it down. It's a companion to "The Diary of Pelly D" which I haven't read yet, but I am going to now! I think I would have done better if I had read Pelly D first, but it was still a good read. It is set in a society that is still reeling after a war of mass persecution on racial classes. One girl escapes from a factory where she is a slave and tries to get let people know the truth about their society.
Corin
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should read this. I feel its one of those books that should be in every classroom and library up and down the country.

The ideas, the characters, the storyline.....everything from the cover picture is perfection.

It doesn't matter that its children's literature - c'mon look at the success of the Hunger Games! This book is amazing and I could read it endlessly without getting bored.

Read it.
Abby
Apr 20, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen, dystopia
Definitely not as good as The Diary of Pelly D. This should really be 1 and 1/2 stars (why doesn't Goodreads let you do that?) You could see the ending coming from miles in advance, and the characters were all totally one-dimensional and predictable. Still, if you want to find out what happened to some of the characters in Pelly D, you might want to read this. Or you could save yourself some time by emailing me and I'll tell you what happened to them.
Ann
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: awesome-books
Awesome, mysterious, captivating book.
I think the number one thing that made me love this book so much is the mysterious beginning and then the astonishing results. It made me hold my breath.
But, the one thing that really disappointed me was the ending. It was like a flap, rather than the flourish I expected. But it was acceptable, I guess...
The plot was amazingly made, the conflicts were spicy, and the resolution was awesome. All of that equal one great 5 star book, Cherry Heaven.
Jen Bojkov
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I just found out that I'm reading book two first. Should have read the Diary of Pelly D. Oh well- too far in now to stop. I guess I'll go back and read the other and see if I made a mistake... Finished reading it and really liked it. Going to go back and read Pelly D. This was nicely done and had points to make in between the action.
Charlie
Apr 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book and it takes a little while for you to understand the tragedy of what has happened to the human race and it really strikes a chord when it does. I feel that the sister and Luca are compelling characters who I empathized with, and the suspence created with the dual storyline really draws you in. Overall I really believe this is a fantastic book. :) x
Martha
Feb 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*spoiler ahead* ----> I really enjoyed this, but for some reason I struggled with the last 10-20 pages or so. It got kind of slow and I felt like the author tried too hard to tidy up all the little details and create a happy ending. Also, apparently it's a sequel and I probably should have read the first book ahead of this one. Oh well.
Tony Stark
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of a strange book, but all the same I give it points for originality. I read it due to a close friend's suggestion. It was slightly difficult to get into, and certain points throughout the book required every ounce of focus in my body so I that I wouldn't put it down and read something else. Some parts are hard to mentally grasp, but in the end it pretty much all fits together. Good book!
Hanna
Oct 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesomly weird. Really shows you the depth of human cruelty, resourcefullness, and ethics. It kind of makes you realize that there will always be some kind of evil in mankind, no matter how hard you try to escape it. But it also shows you that there also really is some good in the world if you just try to look. Beautiful, and very touching.
Hailey
Sep 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Natanya L
This is the companion novel to The Diary of Pelly D. I read it because I loved the Diary of Pelly D. Maybe my expectations were too high. I found that it fell a bit flat. It was not bad, and I did like how it tied together with the Diary of Pelly D, but if you are only going to read one of the two, I would recommend that one. Definitely read the Diary of Pelly D first.
Angie
Dec 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
Wow! A utopian society that is not what it seems...this book is really weird and quite alluring! I was pleasently surprised...I really liked this book and it kept me reading even though it was an intimidating 500 pages!
Sharon
Apr 12, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A world filled with the very poor, the very rich, the genetically superior and the gentically inferior, Adlington brings both worlds to a realistic sometimes horrifying life. It made me want to read The Diary of Pelly D, mentioned in this story.
Sylene
Jan 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think there was a book before this...The Diary of Pelly D, but even without reading it, I thought this was pretty good. I liked Gim D a lot :) Even though he only popped up in like 5 scenes total, most of them flashbacks...
Cherry Heaven 1 14 Nov 11, 2008 07:12AM
  • The Innocent's Story
  • When I Crossed No-Bob
  • The Neddiad: How Neddie Took the Train, Went to Hollywood, and Saved Civilization
  • The Entertainer and the Dybbuk
  • Teen, Inc.
  • A True and Faithful Narrative
  • Toby Wheeler: Eighth-Grade Benchwarmer
  • Beauty Shop for Rent: . . . fully equipped, inquire within
  • The Curse of the Romanovs
  • Minerva Clark Goes to the Dogs (Minerva Clark, #2)
  • Miracle on 49th Street
  • The Kindling (Fire-us, #1)
  • Grease Monkey
  • White Time
  • Ain't Nothing but a Man: My Quest to Find the Real John Henry
  • A Drowned Maiden's Hair
  • The Fortunes of Indigo Skye
  • Trouble
I write YA fiction, including The Diary of Pelly D, Burning Mountain and Night Witches. My new novel The Red Ribbon is out Sept 2017. It is inspired by the true stories of the dressmakers of Auschwitz.
I also write about costume history - Great War Fashion, and Stitches in Time are two of my titles
In between all this writing I give presentations on costume history - such a fabulous job.
I love switc
More about Lucy Adlington...

City Five (5 books)