Start by marking “Harumi's Japanese Home Cooking” as Want to Read:
Harumi's Japanese Home Cooking

Harumi's Japanese Home Cooking

Presenting more than 70 authentic Japanese recipes, and menu and table presentation suggestions, this work introduces specialist Japanese cooking techniques such as the use of cooking chopsticks, and different knives and styles of chopping. It looks at soup, eggs and tofu, rice and noodles, meat, and vegetables.
Published September 30th 2006 by Conran

To ask other readers questions about Harumi's Japanese Home Cooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harumi's Japanese Home Cooking

Start your review of Harumi's Japanese Home Cooking
Carmen
Jul 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
her talk on knives and the important of the right cut sold me right away. the potato salad is simply beautiful. i made it and it was delicious with sweet potato. why i never thought to use whole egg slices is beyond me; i'm obsessed with it now...
Happyreader
Jun 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-and-drink
Simple, elegant Japanese recipes. Harumi has such an easy, engaging style and makes Japanese food seem so simple to make. Lots of miso soups and veggies plus a section on bento.
Stuart
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Simple and unpretentious, with lots of discussion on the cultural differences in entertaining between Japan and the U.S. Picked up some good recipes.
Toviel
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Most of the recipes in this book are exactly as advertised: simple and easy, with a contemporary twist. Most of the time, they're very tasty to boot! The chicken and pork recipes are especially great for a casual dinner with friends or family. The photographs of the food are gorgeous, and the recipes themselves quite relatively easy to read.

However, the few recipes that miss the mark miss it hard. For example, the white chocolate cake turns into a hard, lumpy mess regardless of the chef's every
Samee
Jun 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Sweet Jesus this is a good cookbook. Clearly some testing went into these dishes, because I almost never need to alter quantities; and I guarantee (if you like Asian food) that you will find at least one new favorite dish in here. Kurihara breaks down some of the more complex (to the outsider) aspects of Japanese cooking, and since she knows her way around the kitchen so well, she's able to keep some, simplify others, and ditch a few without negatively affecting the recipes. Plenty of variety ...more
Danielle
Her notes on the importance of the precise cuts in Japanese cooking made me think I should practice that more, perhaps try to find more material on different methods of food prep.

I'm glad not all the recipes in here are "easy" - I get bored of overly simplified everyday fare. Complicated everyday fare is interesting too, ha.
Cara
I guess this was supposed to be Japanese food with a western spin. *Sigh* I don't get it, I don't understand how Harumi Kurihara is so popular. Overrated in my opinion. This book was just as unremarkable as Harumi's Japanese Cooking. This did have a recipe for Gyoza...that wasn't very good. Again, it did have very nice photos, like her previous cookbook. So...That's about it.
Rachel
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this cookbook and look forward to trying out a few of the recipes. The photos are beautiful. Each page is laid out nicely with clear directions and ingredients, which makes it very easy to read and follow. I LOVE that the author included a description of the dishes and personal comments.
Tim
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Yesss, I assume this was written off the back of a TV series.
If you want to pretend to offer Japanese dishes then this is ideal.
If you want to offer proper Japanese dishes then don't bother with this.
Jane
Nov 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookingbooks
I like this book better than her other book, because this is more humble kind of Japanese cooking. It's still a bit too fusion-y and contemporary for my taste, but still reminiscent of home-cooked meals.
Kakanier
Dec 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: japan, kochen
Sehr schönes Buch mit guten Erklärungen. Die Rezepte sind allerdings wirklich davon abhängig, dass man frische Produkte nimmt, wie wir am Lachsburger feststellen konnten. Bin bisher leider noch nicht dazu gekommen, die übrigen Rezepte zu testen.
Bookshop
Feb 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Really good, simple recipes for everyday use. The recipes have enough Japanese flavour to be authentic.
Genevieve
Noriko
Feb 18, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art
  • Japanese Soul Cooking: Ramen, Tonkatsu, Tempura, and More from the Streets and Kitchens of Tokyo and Beyond
  • Ender's Game, Volume 1: Battle School (Ender's Saga)
  • Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat
  • Supernova (Amulet, #8)
  • Japan: The Cookbook
  • Morimoto: The New Art of Japanese Cooking
  • 101 Asian Dishes You Need to Cook Before You Die: Discover a New World of Flavors in Authentic Recipes
  • Atsuko's Japanese Kitchen: Home-cooked comfort food made simple
  • Japanese Hot Pots: Family Style Comfort Foods
  • Cradle of Flavor: Home Cooking from the Spice Islands of Indonesia, Singapore, and Malaysia
  • POK POK Noodles: Recipes from Thailand and Beyond
  • Washoku: Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen
  • Baan: Recipes and stories from my Thai home
  • A Place at the Table: New American Recipes from the Nation's Top Foreign-Born Chefs
  • Seoul Food Korean Cookbook: Korean Cooking from Kimchi and Bibimbap to Fried Chicken and Bingsoo
  • Momofuku