Start by marking “Witches on Parole (WitchLight Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Witches on Parole (WitchLight Trilogy, #1)

Witches on Parole

(WitchLight Trilogy #1)

Two pendants. Two students. And it’s entirely possible they didn’t volunteer.

World-famous (and now retired) photographer Jenvieve Adams has a debt to repay—and a soft spot for witches who have lost their way. Or so she thinks, until they actually show up.

Join some of the cast of characters from the very successful A Modern Witch series as they take on a new kind
Nook, 421 pages
Published September 13th 2011 by Fireweed Publishing (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Witches on Parole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witches on Parole

Start your review of Witches on Parole (WitchLight Trilogy, #1)
Jennie
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
By all rights I should hate all of Debora Geary's books. I should throw aside the Witch books (all of them: A Modern WitchA Hidden WitchA Reckless WitchBy all rights I should hate all of Debora Geary's books. I should throw aside the Witch books (all of them: A Modern WitchA Hidden WitchA Reckless WitchWitches on ParoleWitches Under WayWitches in Flight) in distaste because everything is too fucking perfect.

But I don't. I love these books and I hate myself for it.

It took me until this book to begin to realize why I enjoy them so much. Its not because of the writing (which is fine, but nothing spectacular) or the characters. Its because I desperately want what they have. I'm not kidding about the characters. They all have the capacity and ability to love deeply and have patience in abundance. The new characters may have had difficult lives but they grow and bloom. And all of the established characters have money coming out of their asses.

They have community. And I want it. I don't mean I want these characters to come to life and be my friends. I mean I have never had much of a family (four people create love but not much of that family feeling) and I can finally admit that I would give my right kidney to have one. I want a huge group of people who love me and each other. Who are nearby and spend lots of time together. Who support and guide and meddle with each other.

These series' characters have this in spades. And what Geary does so well is convey that safety blanket to the reader. It should be cloying. It should be ridiculous. And maybe it is, but I can't see it that way. Well, I can, but all I can FEEL is longing. I've felt a lot for characters before : admiration, pain, fear, love. But I've never been jealous of them until now. Its why I'll continue to read these series: to feel for a minute what the characters have for a lifetime.
Donna
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I haven't read this author before and I also haven't read the series from which this one spins off of, but I plan to read more. This was another light fluffy paranormal book that I downloaded because it is almost Halloween. I liked this one. I liked that the two witches 'in need' were quite different. The attention to detail regarding their emotional health was well done. I also liked the support structure created by all the witches. This was a little on the sweet side, but I didn't mind that at ...more
Joanne G.
I'm going to stop protesting that I don't read fluffy, mushy stuff. It's disingenuous to claim now that I've read thirteen of Geary's books in the last couple of months; I know I won't quit until I've read everything in her Witch Central world. Geary's characters are too perfect, everything is sparkly beautiful, and there is always a fairy tale ending--things that usually make me gag and reach for Edgar Allan Poe or something dark to cut the sweetness.

So, why am I captivated by Geary's characte
CatBookMom
Couldn't resist another in this series, and it doesn't disappoint. Ms Geary writes stories that convince you that her characters are real people you might meet if you just could get to their house. They have real-life problems and solve them with love, understanding, a bit of magic, and, of course, cookies.

These are well-written, well-edited, and a pleasure to read. Highly recommended.
Rachel
Dec 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I received this as a gift. I doubt that I would have read it otherwise. As it is, it was an entertaining book. Witches live among us, sub rosa, and have an organization called Witchlight, which apparently is some kind of mentoring program for witches. Two young adult witches are assigned to a mentor witch: Lizard -tattooed, pierced, brilliant cook, and perpetually running from "jerkwads" that she has somehow hooked herself up with and a passion for big words; and Elsie, a psychologist who is looking ...more
Kristen
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ah Witch Central. I'm going to attempt to explain my love of these series. Probably a mistake, but here goes. There is plenty to not like, especially for a girl who grew up reading the classics and falling head over heels for them. Not a ton of plot, no really deep hidden themes. The poetry is sort of meh. Some funny, lovable characters, but that's about it. This series in particular doesn't even really excel at the actual writing (gets a little repetitive on occasion) On the surface.

And yet I
Melanie
This has to be one of the worst books I've ever read. I don't know how I finished it. I guess I thought it would get better?
Problems I have with this book:
1. Nothing ever happens.
2. Jennie is supposed to be this amazing, wise mentor, but she has two other people do all the work and only complains about how horrible things are going.
3. This is this happiest, fakest book I've ever read. It reminds me of that perky person that you hate because they never get upset about anything.
4. The na
Chad
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Story was so-so. The reader of the audiobook did a good overal job but drove me crazy with her pronunciation of ‘realtor’ saying ‘relator’ every time. And there was a main character in the book who is a realtor.
Daelene
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I will admit I thought I had picked up a easy read YA book. To my grateful surprise I found myself transported away by this book. I gave it five stars due to the fact that the writing made me feel. I felt the frustration, the anguish, and yes even the yarn in my hands.
Estara
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Estara by: Sho
Shelves: read-in-2013, ebook
Marcie pollack
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
I am a little late getting my review up but I finally had a few moments to post. I have read the first two books in the Modern Witch series and of loved both of them so when I found out about this new little project from Debora I was ecstatic! I read this book over a chilly weekend and absolutely loved it! Another Home Run in my opinion. Poor Jenny is all I have to say because she has her hands full with her new students. To say what comes around goes around is very true as Jenny is now realizin ...more
Rhonda
Oct 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
2011Review: Witches on Parole by Debora Geary
5 STARS
I really like her stories. How their is so many characters who we get to see again in each book. A lot of the characters we see are back in new way. Plus we get to meet two new characters,Lizzard shows up for training at 2:00 am a couple of days early. Lizzard has a mind of her own, she is a mind witch. She had a choice of prison or witchlight community service. She is smart, good cook has lots of tattoos and piercings.
Elsie is a g
Ryan
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly delightful and even more surprisingly meaningful.

The story takes place in a slightly altered reality where witches live amongst us. They aren't public, but they are there. Sometimes even witches have problems with the law, at work, in their personal life - and with witches, these problems can have serious consequences - and the witch community has an organization called WitchLight to help these lost witches. The lost witches are Lizard and Elsie. Lizard is actually on pa
Masha Toit
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is definitely my favourite Geary "Witches" book.

I was sucked in from the beginning by the set up: Two young witches must participate in a sort of Witches community service. One of them is a "tattooed fairy", a tough young woman with a bad attitude at risk of wasting her life. The other is a self righteous and rather rigid professional woman who cannot see beyond her own time-tables and rules. They are assigned some Witchy mentors who struggle to find ways to help them help thems
Karen Fowler
Sep 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: witches
Some of you may remember my book reviews of A Modern Witch and A Hidden Witch, so I was please to be given the chance to read and review the author’s newest book Witches on Parole: Unlocked (A Modern Witch trilogy, book 1)

Those who have read Geary’s other books will be please to find some of the same characters in this fisrt book of the new spin-off series. The modern witchy themes are present, as is Geary’s flair for crafting page-turning, first-rate books.

In Witches on Parole we m
Witchbaby
Dec 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Holy Freaking Cow – I am soooo happy that I went on Amazon at exactly the right time to find this book. I laughed, I cried, I busted out laughing, and I fell in love (and ordered the rest of her books lol).

I was sucked in from the very beginning of the story and started caring about the characters from the first few pages. I love the view from a camera insights that Jennie is so fond of and it makes me want to pull my camera back out to start snapping pictures again.

Lizard was the perfect unde
Kitty
Dec 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
I know I sound like a broken record, but I've loved everything this author has written! I purchased this one for a vacation. I wanted to be sure I had something "fun" to read on vacation - something that was guaranteed to make me smile, and make me forget about "real life" for a while. This fit the bill perfectly.

This is sort of a spin-off from the Modern Witch series, featuring a lot of the same characters I've already fallen in love with, but focusing on two new witches. As with al
Aimee
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
I think I'm giving up on this book. I rarely don't finish a book, but I've been reading this one for like 3 weeks and I'm only half way done. I typically finish books within a week of reading them.

I really like the characters. I like the writing and voice. Everything seems realistic, the characters, their responses, their conversations...but that's where my enjoyment ended. NOTHING happened. I enjoyed the beginning, there was still some suspense to keep me interested. After a while though, the
Stephen
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure I would have picked up this book without a recommendation, as it didn't sound quite like my sort of thing ... but a friend (the also outstanding author, Nathan Lowell) recommended Ms. Geary's books highly and mentioned this one. I read it and, I have to say, I loved it.

Debora Geary spins a tale filled with rich and compelling characters, in a community you kind of wish you could be a part of, and you don't really want to leave, so you stay up until 4am reading and get 2
Joe Young
Sep 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another loving book where the characters reach out to each other in pure love. Misfits are kindly brought along by extremely understanding role models and contrasting characters are played off each other with each benefiting from the unique understanding and insight that the other possesses. Deborah has a unique ability to describe extremely close families in a manner where it appears that the loving interrelations are the most natural state for witches and humans. It makes you want to reach out ...more
Maria Elmvang
First book in this spin-off series to "A Modern Witch" and every bit as charming :) I didn't care much for Elsie (except when she started knitting! That got my fingers twitching as well :) ), but I simply adored Lizard. I also really liked seeing more of Lauren and Nat's lives outside WitchCentral. Lauren's especially. Her work as a realtor - especially once she realized she was a mind witch - fascinates me :)

Of course I'll jump straight on to the next book in the series - I could ha
Laura Jerwood
Jan 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, kindle
I think this book may have got me hooked!

Despite not reading any of these before, I couldnt wait to start at the beginning and find out more.
I even paid to download to my kindle rather than wait for a price drop (well, Christmas was an expensive month!)

Would recommend to anyone, especially those who secretly like the Mills N Boon as well as Magic stuff. The family ties and love and general homeliness that comes through is so lovely to read, the magic is just an added exc
Starla B
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I couldn't put it down. I loved the characters, and cannot wait to read the next in the series, as well as the original series this spun off.
Sue
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
It's great to have Elise and Lizards backstory...makes the subsequent A Modern Witch series make more sense. Only 2 more to go... I will miss this series when I have to wait for books to be released.
Gnome Claire *Wishes she was as cool as Gnome Ann*
I liked Lizard but Elsie is such a frustrating character, she's so self involved and judgemental, she holds everyone around her to ridiculous standards of organisation and viewing them as less wrothy than her for failing that while she's totally failing to be a decent person- she seems to upset people around her as well as put them in some danger. I just struggled to believe that someone with so little grip on how people thought, what would upset them and how her own actions came across could ev ...more
Wicked
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really love the sense of family and community that the author creates in her works. The Witch Light Trilogy would have to be my favourite series set in this world. Such acceptance of differences and the sense of belonging makes this a lovely read .
Morgan
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was a little too cheesy for me. I feel like all they kept taking about was bacon, hip openers, and cookies. I don’t know if I would have liked it more if I read the first book instead of this spin off
Ryanne
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nice story but I feel like it ended abruptly. Looking forward to reading the next in the series.
K Kriesel
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this much more than I had expected! It's light but not fluffy, cheesy without being over-the-top. Characters overcoming personal obstacles WITHOUT romance - it does exist!!
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a great addition to the Witch Central Series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Heart (Ghost Mountain Wolf Shifters, #2)
  • Gone With the Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery, #6)
  • Alpha (Ghost Mountain Wolf Shifters, #1)
  • Dragon Kin: Lily & Oceana (Dragon Kin, #2)
  • The Goodbye Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery, #4)
  • Some Like It Witchy (A Wishcraft Mystery, #5)
  • The Witch and the Dead (A Wishcraft Mystery #7)
  • Resurrection in Mudbug (Ghost-in-Law #4)
  • Raven (Ghost Mountain Wolf Shifters, #4)
  • Deadly Fate (Krewe of Hunters, #19)
  • Immortal Born (Argeneau #30)
  • Maximillian Fly
  • Cookies and Clairvoyance (Magical Bakery Mystery #8)
  • Dragon Kin: Alonia & Trift (Dragon Kin, #3)
  • Dark Illusion (Dark #29)
  • Dragon Kin: Jae & Fendellen (Dragon Kin, #4)
  • No Kitten Around (Magical Romantic Comedies, #5)
  • Accidentally Dead (Accidentals, #2)

WitchLight Trilogy (3 books)
  • Witches Under Way (WitchLight Trilogy, #2)
  • Witches in Flight (WitchLight Trilogy, #3)
“Only two bags, huh?" Helga was eighty, feisty, and the fastest knitter Elsie had ever seen. “We’ll have to work on that. It’s not a respectable stash until it has its own room.” 4 likes
“The point is to learn to live with roots inside yourself, instead of a thousand stupid rules to guide your day.  Who are you without your rules, Elsie?  Who would you find if you had the guts to just lie still and let go?” 1 likes