Start by marking “Skeleton in a Dead Space (Kelly O'Connell #1)” as Want to Read:
Skeleton in a Dead Space (Kelly O'Connell #1)

Skeleton in a Dead Space

(Kelly O'Connell #1)

An endearing sleuth, a skeleton behind the spice cupboard, and a fistful of subplots that will keep you guessing. A nicely done debut by an author to watch.
—Susan Wittig Albert, author of the China Bayles mysteries

Kelly O’Connell never thought real estate was a dangerous profession, until she stumbled over a skeleton in a dead space in an early-twentieth-century Craftsman
Nook, 312 pages
Published August 27th 2011 by Turquoise Morning Press

To ask other readers questions about Skeleton in a Dead Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skeleton in a Dead Space

Jillian
Apr 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
I’m through with Sleuthing Women: 10 First-in-Series Mysteries.

This is the third in the volume and I dislike the emerging plot - woman on the verge of separation discovers body ( clearly an occupational hazard of working in Real Estate), meets spunky police officer, meddles in the investigation withholding evidence because its personal, or you wouldn’t want to dob, buys take-away food every night because she’s busy meddling and bribes her kids with icecream. The meddling, of course, somehow hel
Kait Carson
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love discovering new authors. Alter may be new, but it's clear she's been honing her craft for a while. Kelly O'Connor is a realtor/renovator, single mom. And she's struggling with all the usual questions. Is she doing right by her kids, is she doing right by her business, was she responsible for the break-up of her marriage...When her general contractor/handy man finds a skeleton in a dead space of a wonderful craftsman house she is renovating for sale, it seems a matter for the cold case squ ...more
Roddy Williams
I'm in two minds about this.
Set in Fort Worth, Texas, a cold case investigation is opened when a skeleton is found in a walled up recess in a house Kelly McConnell is trying to sell. Kelly is keen to have the body identified and put to rest, assuming that the police will have little interest in remains that may have been there for a hundred years. When she begins to look into the history of the house and its inhabitants, she gets threatening phone calls and worse. Someone is determined that the
Sharon M. Turner
Real estate can be a killer!

When Kelly begins a remodel of a lovely old Craftsman house in a Fort Worth neighborhood, she doesn't expect any problems except to get it accurate. A body-turned skeleton behind a set of shelves wasn't in the plans. Suddenly all kinds of problems begin. Fires, paint attacks, handy men getting assaulted, targets painted on her home. What's going on? Here comes the ex-husband causing problems. Will Kelly ever finish the house and sell it? This one is a real "Who dun it
Anne
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had never read any of Judy Alter's books before but now that I know what I was missing I will be sure to read more for this author. The book was very well written, kept my imagination going and the characters were very believable. The story had many twists and turns but all were believable and I can't wait to hear more from Kelly and the gang. I hope she keeps all the characters she introduced in this book.
Kathy
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Skeleton in a dead space

I got this book through a give away by the author with no strings attached to write a review. This is my personal review. I enjoyed the book but thought some of the dialogue and description were a bit wordy and confusing but the killer was quite a surprise until almost the end. I would recommend this as an interesting read.
Gabi Eagon
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Kelly O’Connell mystery.

Kelly is a realtor and mother of two young girls. She and her carpenter Anthony are renovating early Craftman’s houses. In her current renovation Anthony stumbles across a skeleton in a box behind a dead space in the kitchen. This cold case causes many problems for her and the house and her family.
Sarah -  All The Book Blog Names Are Taken
I can't for the life of me figure out how this book is so highly rated. The mystery itself was interesting, the skeleton in the drawer. But too much of the plot relied on things happening just-so, and it was convoluted and ridiculous. There were some typos and odd phrasing also that shouldn't have made it past an editor. It didn't help that the main character was a giant MORON.
Greg Hughes
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Skeloten in a dead space.

I enjoyed this very much. After days of rain , I rose early and began the book. Several hours later, with a break for theatre and dinner with my husband, I finished the book. I highly recommend it. Amazon recognizes Greg, my husband as the reader, but the Prime account is in his name. Mary Kay Hughes
Rita
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Fantastic Book!

I really enjoyed reading this book. There was never a dull moment. There were many crimes to solve which made the book quite interesting. The main character is so determined to solve the crime. I want to read more of this authors series.
Katie
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Guess again who did it!

This is an enjoyable book with loads of mystery, a couple of murders, some vandalism and a vast array of suspects. The author even dabbled in a little romance. Enjoy!
Ellen White
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Trying to make extra as a realestate person for her and her two children. Doesn’t need the phone call from her handyman to come at once. A body had been found in the house. Amature sleuth, with many plots woven in. Good begining for the author to read.
Dinnl
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Enjoyed the story but it could have been a little tighter. Quite a bit of repetition and bit slow in places. The main character was good but slow on the uptake at times.
Yvonne Meyer
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good mystery

Really enjoyed this mystery. Finding a skeleton can sure change a remodel fast. Murder,suspence and a little romance all in one book.
Romancing the Book
Feb 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy, mystery
Reviewed by April
Book provided by the publisher for review
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

I am a huge lover of cozy mysteries, so when I came across Skeleton in a Dead Space by Judy Alter and read the blurb, I was instantly intrigued! Kelly sounded like an interesting character and the story line sounded like something that would hook me quickly. Did it live up to my expectations?

Somewhat. I did enjoy the story line and the twists and turns that took place. The writing was smooth
Karen Syed
Dec 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, kindle, ebooks
You should really read this book. I mean if you like cozy mysteries with spunky heroines and situations that could easily happen to you. from the opening chapter, Judy Alter takes the reader through the adventures of a real estate agent who just happens to own a property with a skeleton in the closet. Literally.

When first we meet Kelly O'Connell it appears she is at the beginning of a normal day. But one phone call changes all of that. She's got a remodel going on and now there's a dead body, an
JoAnn77PL
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I found a new series and I like it. The main protagonist is a divorcee with two daughter who are not a statement but a living, breathing and doing various things(like most children)characters.
The story is written in first person and Kelly's person is perky, warm and caring.
I cannot find anything that I wouldn't like about this book - the story was thrilling, it moved swiftly and the solutions all came into place like a perfect puzzle. I also enjoyed getting to know new characters - Kelly, Offi
Trish Nelson
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Judy Alter is a new author to me. I was intrigued by the title and the fact that she was in the Real Estate business which I'm also involved in. She lives in an older section of Ft. Worth called Fairmont which is a neigborhood of old craftsman style and bungalow homes. The neighborhood had been allowed to decay but now people are moving into the area and restoring those homes. I love hearing about those old houses which she discusses frequently. The cast of characters is pretty small and all are ...more
Connie
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in the new "Kelly McConnell Mystery" series. This is a cozy-type mystery that is set in Fort Worth, Texas. Since I have lived in Texas for years (although not a native Texan), I am very familiar with the DFW area; it was great to read about landmarks and neighborhoods that were quite familiar. This is a very entertaining book, and I am looking forward to the next book, "No Neighborhood for Old Women", in this new series which is scheduled to be released in 2012.
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
LOVED this book, probably because it is set in Fort Worth (close to where I live) and in an area that I am familiar with, and she is a realtor (which I am not but hubby is so familiar with the industry). I thought that her depiction of Fort Worth and the places she mentioned were well done. The killer was a surprise but I knew something was up with this character as weird as they acted!

Adding this series to my TBR list!
Bonnie
Oct 30, 2016 rated it liked it
This was another 'cozy mystery', but somehow got my attention more than most. Maybe it's the competence of the main character, who's not ditzy at all, but a business woman and single mother. Since she's a realtor, there's a lot of information about house styles, carpentry and furniture. The mystery, involving a skeleton, obviously was from years ago, which gave it a bit of historical depth, too.
Patricia Gulley
Jun 13, 2013 rated it liked it
An interesting story. A single mother of two and a real estate agent, who purchases houses and remodels before selling, finds a skeleton in a dead space. That and trouble from her ex makes up the story.
Phyllis
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked this one! It was set in Ft. Worth and I was familiar with lots of the places.
Kelly
Mar 17, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked the 2nd one better.
Mary Ann
I thoroughly enjoyed and book.
Laurie
Nov 13, 2012 rated it did not like it
Didn't finish. Not my type.
Sarah Boyette
Nov 13, 2012 rated it liked it
It was too long for a fluff book, but I loved reading all the Ft. Worth references.
Glenda
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
love this cozy mystery series. I especially love books set in the state of Texas.
Amy Gettleson
Oct 22, 2018
Britt
rated it it was ok
Nov 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
A novelist and author of books for both adults and young readers, Judy Alter is the author of seventitles in the Kelly O'Connell Mysteries, three in the Blue Plate Café Mysteries, and two Oak Grove Mysteries. Her mysteries are all set in Texas. She has also written frequently about women and girls of the American West, and many of those books are available as ebooks. Her Web page is http://www.jud ...more

Kelly O'Connell (7 books)
  • No Neighborhood for Old Women (Kelly O'Connell #2)
  • Trouble in a Big Box (Kelly O'Connell #3)
  • Danger Comes Home (Kelly O'Connell #4)
  • Deception in Strange Places (Kelly O'Connell #5)
  • Desperate for Death (Kelly O'Connell #6)
  • The Color of Fear