Start by marking “Cupid's Maze” as Want to Read:
Cupid's Maze

Cupid's Maze

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  22 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
A short story available free on Smashwords, B&N, Apple Bookstore, Sony eReader Store, Kobo, and Diesel

Sean has popped the question and dreads the drive across the bleak Kansas landscape on Valentine's Day to announce his intentions to his fiancee Janet's parents. When he sees a sign for a corn maze, he pulls in for a momentary reprieve. Little does he know what a mist
ebook
Published by Smashwords Edition (first published September 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Cupid's Maze, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cupid's Maze

Carrie Green
Sep 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Seeing a Corn Field as a Sinister Setting…
I'm not entirely certain why corn fields are spooky, or exactly why stalks of corn decorate our homes during Halloween, but Mark Souza's 'Cupid's Maze' taps into the American paranoia that only this frightening vegetable inspires. I reflected upon the role of corn in movies as diverse as Children of Corn, X-Files: Fight the Future, and Jeepers Creepers 2. Corn is never a good thing in a horror story.

Souza adroitly uses this foreboding element as his char
Kim
Oct 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kim by: Mark Souza
As it's Halloween today I decided it was the right time to read this short horror story.

A quick but fun tale of a couple travelling through the flat fields of Kansas who decided to take a look at a roadside corn maze. I won't say anymore as I don't want to spoil it but it was a good read and I would like to read more.
Erin Cole
Oct 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Definitely creepy. The abandoned cars, bad map, dusk decending, and the . . . I'll just say, yikes! Good suspense and overall execution.
M. Pax
Oct 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I will never look at corn fields the same way. Maybe not even in the frozen food aisle. This story starts so innocent, but it doesn't stay that way. Great suspense and very well written.
Brainycat
Nov 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of horror shots, critics of Kansas
I grew up in Kansas. I left and haven't been back. Why? All the same reasons that Mark's protagonist loathes driving through the godforsaken boring emptiness. I had no choice but to like this story after the first few pages were full of ways of insulting the vast emptiness of the Great Plains. Mark Souza evoked the monochromatic monotony of winter in Kansas perfectly.

The characters developed well, at least until The Trauma. I thought the female lead's arc seemed to vacillate a little oddly at th
James Jr.
Nov 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a story that one can read very quickly because it is short and gripping. This was the first of Souza's work that I had ever read, and I was hooked by his tight, believable prose right away. The "signposts" within his story were perfect. He didn't give too much away, but just enough to make one pause momentarily, knowingly. We didn't know what was coming. We only knew that we had to find out what it was. I will definitely be back for more and will never, ever stop the car on any long stre ...more
Darcia Helle
After reading this story, I will never look at a cornfield the same way. A lot of action and creepiness is packed into this short story. The characters are well-developed and the plot steadily takes us from a sweet opening to a horrifying end. I loved the writing style, the imagery, and everything else about Cupid's Maze.
Irina Raileanu
Sep 05, 2014
Ksenia
Jul 18, 2014
Jamie DeBree
Nov 26, 2011
Mark Souza
Oct 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Andres
Brad
Jul 06, 2012
Kimmee
Jul 16, 2012
Mark Souza lives in the Pacific Northwest with his wife, two children, and mongrel beast-dog, Tater. When he’s not writing, he’s out among you trying to look and act normal (whatever that is), reminding himself that the monsters he’s created are all in his head, no more real than campaign promises.
More about Mark Souza...