Start by marking “Silver Shark (Kinsmen, #2)” as Want to Read:
Silver Shark (Kinsmen, #2)

Silver Shark (Kinsmen #2)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  5,979 Ratings  ·  383 Reviews
Claire Shannon is a killer. She uses no weapons, only her mind.

Born on a planet locked in a long war, Claire is a psycher, a woman with the ability to attack minds and infiltrate a biological computer network where psychers battle to the death. But when the war abruptly ends, Claire must hide her psycher's ability to survive. She is deported to a new planet, a vivid beauti
Published September 16th 2011 by NYLA (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Silver Shark, please sign up.
Val Booklover
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
We're the IAA™ and We Need to Buddy Read IA Stuff While We're Waiting to Buddy Read More IA Stuff Buddy Read Part II (WtIAAaWNtBRIASWWWtBRMIASBRPII™) ●

Previous rating: 4 stars. A harefish-brained decapod is me.
New rating: 5 stars. Alleluia and stuff! I saw the light!

It's official, I'm a complete, total, utter, absolute nitwitted dimwit. I mean, why else would I have rated this story 4 bloody pathetic diminutive stars the first time I read it? (view spoiler)
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
3.5 Too Short Stars

These books would have been great if they were normal-length but they are too short and sadly suffer from novella syndrome. They seem too rushed and not really complete, and you don't get enough time to get used to and understand things like the bio-net or psychers. I would love a new full-length novel on the series.

Generally the book was good but nothing really impressive. The first one was much better and although Claire was badass, she was also a bit whiny at some points so
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

kickassCantStopkickass

Oh, look! There are TWO kick-asses! Whoopsie. Must've been a mistake, right?

NOPE.

Silver Shark is just that awesome.

We're back in the world of the Kinsmen, only this time we aren't dealing with two rival families.

The blurb (YAY, I actually read one this time) does an excellent job of summarizing the position Claire Shannon finds herself in on a new planet---she's hiding her ability, she has a tenuous grasp on a new start, and she has 3 months to successfully fi
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
4+ stars. Wow, this SF romance novella by Ilona Andrews was worlds better than the first story in this series, Silent Blade, which was about half the length of this one ... which might be one of the reasons this one is so much better. I was so sucked into this story that I actually read it twice yesterday, front to back (it's maybe 100 pages). :)

We begin on a different world, a mining planet where a bitter war has been raging for generations. Claire Shannon is a captain in the military, a psyche
Robin (Bridge Four)
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

Buddy Read with my lovely ladies over at Ilona Andrews Addicts (IAA)

This quick story set in the Kinsmen world seemed like a great blend of The Matrixx meets Hackers (anyone else besides be remember that movie) and classic Ilona Andrews flare.

Claire is a trained killer and one of the most powerful psychers alive. She has been at war since childhood and they just lost. To survive she must pretend to have no psychic ability and start over on a different planet. She comes from a world of gr
Milda Page Runner
Ready Player One meets sexy romance. I liked it. Quick moving plot and excellent worldbuilding - in this case of two worlds and bio-net. Really fast read.
Emma
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Obviously it was good. It’s Ilona Andrews! The only frustration was that it was too short. The world reminds me of the one from the Psy from Nalini Singh, combined with elements of The Hidden Legacy series. I don’t think this couple are capable of writing a bad book.
♔ Jaela ♊ Killer ⚔ QUEEN
If only this book was any longer!!

Wonderful wonderful! Have I ever said that I love the worlds IA creates? Yes, a 1000 times.
This book had some similarities with Psy-Changeling series of NS. The bio-net similar to psy-net, tasteless foods the heroine used to eat in her planet and the overwhelming sensations she has in the new world. Or if you have seen the movie eXistenz with Jude Law, then you know what I mean

Claire and Venturo are so good together, I loved the development of their story and I
Alexa
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Read with the awesome bunch at Ilona Andrews Addicts!

This one was a lot better than Silent Blade. I think it was a combination of a longer page count (almost double!) and the fact that there was some groundwork laid out in the previous book about the Kinsmen and how the society works.

The best part? There's no insta-love! Hurray!

Ilona does several fast-forward cut scenes, which I thought was genius. By doing this she implies that the two main characters have been working together for a while, s
Liz* Fashionably Late
3.5 stars? 3.75? 3.99? Whatevs.

It's IA.

It's sexy, funny and action packed. And too short.
Katie Michaels
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, sci-fi-romance
Claire has lived her entire life surrounded by war. She was forced into military service at 14; her psychic gifts, powerful enough to kill. But now, the war is over and those very same abilities have turned her into a target. Such a powerful Kinsman could never be kept alive. So Claire must hide her skills and appear as a normal person in order survive.

She is forced from the bleak, war-torn world and becomes a refugee on a new planet. There, she goes to work for Venturo Escana, a Kinsman whose p
Maria Dimitrova
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Buddy read with the IAA.

When I find an author I adore I always dread the inevitable moment when I've read everything he/she/they have published. So I kept putting off reading this final virgin territory for quite some time but eventually I got roped in a buddy read with the-one-who-can't-be-defied aka Sarah.

What can I tell you about Silver Shark that won't sound like a fangirl excessive praise??? Oh screw it! I'll fangirl all I want. It's my review after all. It was bloody amazing and I can't c
Catherine
My Kindle edition had a lot of spelling errors and bad punctuation, ill-formed sentences and clunky editing in general. It was a bummer. The story started out wonderfully and I was immediately pulled in to the world and in league with our heroine. She was such a bad ass early on, I was disappointed to see her turn into a doubtful, jealous, meek girl. These episodes never lasted long, thankfully, but they felt out of character.

It was a good story and I enjoyed it but I'm afraid the lack of editi
Paige  Bookdragon

I love it. Too bad it's short but I like this better than the first book.
MrsJoseph

This right here.

I loved this. LOVED.

I'm not sure what I was expecting when I started Silver Shark. I'd just finished reading Silent Blade and I *guess* I was expecting it to be more like Silent Blade .

Silver Shark both is and is not like Silent Blade. The books are in the same series so of course they are a lot alike. Both books (plus Of Swine and Roses ) served as inspiration for Hidden Legacy, both books are Sci-Fi and both have some deception in it. B
AH
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love the writing team that is Ilona Andrews. I am so happy whenever there is a new release of their books. I don't usually read science fiction, but I enjoyed this.

Our heroine Claire Shannon is a psycher, someone with the ability to attack others' minds telepathically. When her side loses a 300+ year battle, she is deported to another planet. She is given three months to find a job, otherwise risk deportation back to her world.

Claire finds work at Venturo Escara's corporation and she senses a
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
The writing duo of Ilona Andrews is always stellar. These are novellas but you still get an entire world built and characters well fleshed out and an enjoyable story to boot! It's pretty impressive.
Vicky (the Blowtorch-Wielding OotCDCB™)
Time to write a review… with actual words… which will start flowing out from me right now… *hands hover over keyboard*

To be honest, I'm not sure what to write. Ilona and Gordon Andrews are 2 of my favorite writers. I tend to love everything they write and that was the case with the previous novella set in this world… but this one was just ok for me I guess. There was nothing I disliked in it, but there also wasn’t anything I flat-out loved. It had a cool world (the bionet stuff reminded me of Na
-y.a
Considering the limitation of managing character development and building a fascinating world in a short novella, Ilona Andrews display their talent in Silver Shark with well-developed characters, creativity, a believable romance, and interesting sci-fi elements that are easy to understand.

Claire and Venturo are lethal psychers, ie, they have ability to hurt or kill people (unauthorized users) just using their mind when logging into biological computer network. ( think hub, cloud, Matrix-like )
JAIME
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddy-reads
This was supposed to be a Buddy-Read with the wonderful IAA team. But, I'm busy/slack/distracted at the moment so I crammed it in over a couple of lunch breaks a few days later. YOLO.

Another really really cool concept from IA. And, I liked the characters in this one way more than in Silent Blade. I even liked the characters from Silent Blade way more in this one.

I really enjoy IA shorts, and hope for a bunch more in this series.
Suzanne
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I know I'm prejudiced with this one, but I've always loved the idea of psychic powers, and I always enjoy Ilona Andrews. There was a lot packed into this novella - I'd love to read longer books set in this universe.
Cathy (cathepsut)
Great story, the romance worked well for me, great characters, good snark, superb world-building in these few pages, with beautiful and vivid descriptions, definitely worth a full-length novel.

My only beef with this novella is the ending. WTF? That was such an infuriating place to finish the last chapter and with no sequel in sight. Argh.

I really, really like this on. Great fun.
Luli
You can find this review in English below.

2.5 stars.
Esta es la segunda historia que leo de este matrimonio de escritores y… sigo sin cogerle el punto.

La parte fantástica de la historia es, valga la redundancia, fantástica. Es una novela, y aún así la cantidad de detalles y descripciones que nos encontramos sobre este nuevo universo donde se desarrolla la acción es magnífica. Muy sutilmente nos van adentrando en el día a día de esta nueva sociedad, sus normas, su jerarquización… También tenemos a
Saly
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Again a book that blew me away because the heroine was such a bad-ass! It is a short book, but everything works including the romance.
AMythicalBeast
Sep 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: science fiction, romance, urban fantasy
Recommended to AMythicalBeast by: Ilona Andrews blog
4.85/5 (one must be very clear about these things) =D

I'll begin by the worst fault of the book - the absolutely heinous, most maddening, unpardonable of all its flaws - it's too short.

The premise is set beautifully. The first 25% of my ebook takes me from a war torn world, where existence is a punishment to be endured in service of a cause beyond your understanding and with loyalty to an unfeeling corporation trapped in an unending battle began and run by greed, to a planet where every colour is
Julie
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Posted at http://yummymenandkickasschicks.com/?...

Silver Shark is a short story by Ilona Andrews and is the second story in their Kinsmen series. Now, I am about to tell you guys something that may shock and surprise you. I really like Ilona Andrews’ writing voice and style. This writing couple is responsible for one of my two mostest favorite book series in the whole world. Okay, okay. I know this isn’t really a crazy revelation to those of you who visit here often, but I just thought it was du
Sep 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keeper
Loved it!

I'm awful at giving reviews but here goes:

The Kinsmen world is fascinating and I love learning more about it. Ilona & Gordon write such absorbing worlds and characters. I look forward to any more pieces they give us regarding the Kinsmen.

The story is rich and absorbing with the reader being drawn in and held captive until the very end of the book.

I loved Claire from the very beginning. She came across as a very strong and independant woman. Ven....I mean WOW! If only I could find
TJ
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5.0
Loved every minute of this read! Only one small quibble. I wish they wouldn't have ended it so abruptly. I was just gearing up for a fantastic final fight but only received the end results in a mere mention. Same goes for the yummy stuff. Really could have used a few pages more than the letter at the end... *sigh* But then, I'm always yearning for more when I close the last page of an Ilona Andrews book. Novellas just intensify the feeling.
Maraya21 (The Reading Dragon)
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: group-reads
*sings* Loved it! ♥
Review will be here shortly. Blink and you might miss it! 😂

Group Read with The Addicts Ilona Andrews Addicts (IAA™)
Mimi Smith
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: uf-r
5 stars

This was truly an amazing story, made all the more amazing by its shortness. How everything manages to happen in so few pages AND the characters manage to be real and lovable, I don't know. Kudos to the Andrews team for doing it. This is the 2nd book in the Kinsmen series...

A Bit More About The World

And, not surprisingly, the world keeps developing. In the previous book we find out about Kinsmen, here we find out more about the world itself and the Psychers are introduced.

Many years ago
Ilona Andrews Fans: Silver Shark 7 66 Oct 06, 2011 04:25PM
  • Magic Bleeds - Awake (Curran POV #9)
  • Killbox (Sirantha Jax, #4)
  • Finders Keepers
  • Song of Scarabaeus (Scarabaeus, #1)
  • Mina Wentworth and the Invisible City (Iron Seas, #1.5)
  • Under Her Skin
  • Enemy Within (Enemy, #1)
  • Close Encounters (Alien Affairs, #1)
  • An Accidental Goddess
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a better grade ...more
More about Ilona Andrews

Kinsmen (2 books)
  • Silent Blade (Kinsmen, #1)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)