Start by marking “Silver Shark (Kinsmen, #2)” as Want to Read:
Silver Shark (Kinsmen, #2)

Silver Shark

(Kinsmen #2)

Claire Shannon is a killer. She uses no weapons, only her mind.

Born on a planet locked in a long war, Claire is a psycher, a woman with the ability to attack minds and infiltrate a biological computer network where psychers battle to the death. But when the war abruptly ends, Claire must hide her psycher's ability to survive. She is deported to a new planet, a vivid beauti
Published September 16th 2011 by NYLA (first published September 14th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Silver Shark, please sign up.
Val Booklover
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Silver Shark (Kinsmen, #2)
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
We're the IAA™ and We Need to Buddy Read IA Stuff While We're Waiting to Buddy Read More IA Stuff Buddy Read Part II (WtIAAaWNtBRIASWWWtBRMIASBRPII™) ●

Previous rating: 4 stars. A harefish-brained decapod is me.
New rating: 5 stars. Alleluia and stuff! I saw the light!

It's official, I'm a complete, total, utter, absolute nitwitted dimwit. I mean, why else would I have rated this story 4 bloody pathetic diminutive stars the first time I read it? (view spoiler)
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
4+ stars for this SF romance novella by Ilona Andrews. I've read this one a few times now, whenever I need a quick romantic adventure pick-me-up read. :)

It all begins on a different planet, a bleak mining world where a bitter war has been raging for generations. Claire Shannon is a captain in the military, a "psycher," with extraordinarily strong mental powers that manifest both in real life and on the bionet (a type of virtual reality), where she leads military teams in forays against the enem
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
3.5 Too Short Stars

These books would have been great if they were normal-length but they are too short and sadly suffer from novella syndrome. They seem too rushed and not really complete, and you don't get enough time to get used to and understand things like the bio-net or psychers. I would love a new full-length novel on the series.

Generally the book was good but nothing really impressive. The first one was much better and although Claire was badass, she was also a bit whiny at some points so
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

kickassCantStopkickass

Oh, look! There are TWO kick-asses! Whoopsie. Must've been a mistake, right?

NOPE.

Silver Shark is just that awesome.

We're back in the world of the Kinsmen, only this time we aren't dealing with two rival families.

The blurb (YAY, I actually read one this time) does an excellent job of summarizing the position Claire Shannon finds herself in on a new planet---she's hiding her ability, she has a tenuous grasp on a new start, and she has 3 months to successfully
Holly
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novella
This was so much better than Silent Blade! Probably because it was so much longer and so they really had the space to develop the characters. I am now a proud card-carrying member of the Ilona Andrews fan club - I have officially read all their books (well, with the exception of some of the Kate Daniels novellas). ...more
Sԋҽʅʅყ ƚԋҽ Wҽιɾԃ αɳԃ Wαɳԃҽɾιɳɠ Wαɾɾισɾ
Silent Blade: ★★★★

I liked this even better than Silent Blade. It involves psychic kinsmen and a female captain who survives a war and has to find work as a refuge as an assistant to another psychic and has to hide her true identity. Of course, sparks fly. I liked the descriptions of the bionet.
Robin (Bridge Four)
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

Buddy Read with my lovely ladies over at Ilona Andrews Addicts (IAA)

This quick story set in the Kinsmen world seemed like a great blend of The Matrixx meets Hackers (anyone else besides be remember that movie) and classic Ilona Andrews flare.

Claire is a trained killer and one of the most powerful psychers alive. She has been at war since childhood and they just lost. To survive she must pretend to have no psychic ability and start over on a different planet. She comes from a world of gr
ȷαεlα
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If only this book was any longer!!

Wonderful wonderful! Have I ever said that I love the worlds IA creates? Yes, a 1000 times.
This book had some similarities with Psy-Changeling series of NS. The bio-net similar to psy-net, tasteless foods the heroine used to eat in her planet and the overwhelming sensations she has in the new world. Or if you have seen the movie eXistenz with Jude Law, then you know what I mean

Claire and Venturo are so good together, I loved the development of their story and I
Emma
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Obviously it was good. It’s Ilona Andrews! The only frustration was that it was too short. The world reminds me of the one from the Psy from Nalini Singh, combined with elements of The Hidden Legacy series. I don’t think this couple are capable of writing a bad book.
Milda Page Runner
Ready Player One meets sexy romance. I liked it. Quick moving plot and excellent worldbuilding - in this case of two worlds and bio-net. Really fast read.
Irene Sim
Euphoric!
That's how I feel after finishing this story...
There isn't really much I can say and I hate to repeat myself.
If you haven't read any book by Ilona Andrews and you want to get a taste of the author's infinite talent, just pick any short story of her Kinsmen series.

I hope we'll get more stories in the future set in this world. And I really hope they'll be longer than this...
Alexa
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Read with the awesome bunch at Ilona Andrews Addicts!

This one was a lot better than Silent Blade. I think it was a combination of a longer page count (almost double!) and the fact that there was some groundwork laid out in the previous book about the Kinsmen and how the society works.

The best part? There's no insta-love! Hurray!

Ilona does several fast-forward cut scenes, which I thought was genius. By doing this she implies that the two main characters have been working together for a while, s
Liz* Fashionably Late
3.5 stars? 3.75? 3.99? Whatevs.

It's IA.

It's sexy, funny and action packed. And too short.
Lyn
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

This book was in one word – Fantastic. I loved the notion of the Kinsmen with their countless abilities and the dynamics between the different families in power. The rules of engagement were intriguing and set the Kinsmen apart from normal people.

The world-building was fascinating and so well-written , I could imagine it all in my mind with the vividness depicted in the scenes.

Thrown into a dystopian world, forced to endure horrible trials, to become a soldier trained to kill, Claire Shannon did
Hollis
This one felt leagues away from the first in the Kinsmen series and it was both entertaining and satisfying and sexy. Would definitely read more of this world and yes I know I say that about all of Andrews' series. But for real are we getting more?
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
**Note: Listened as part of The Kinsmen Universe Bundle.

I’m a HUGE fan of the Andrews team and I’ve been doing a re-read of their work. I’ve actually never read or listened to the Kinsmen series until now.

I do want to point out that The Kinsmen Universe has some similarities to the Hidden Legacy series. In a distant future humans went into space and colonized many areas, but they needed enhancements. Some of those enhancements where to be stronger, faster, & heartier. In doing these changes som
Jen Davis
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, sci-fi-romance
Claire has lived her entire life surrounded by war. She was forced into military service at 14; her psychic gifts, powerful enough to kill. But now, the war is over and those very same abilities have turned her into a target. Such a powerful Kinsman could never be kept alive. So Claire must hide her skills and appear as a normal person in order survive.

She is forced from the bleak, war-torn world and becomes a refugee on a new planet. There, she goes to work for Venturo Escana, a Kinsman whose p
Cheesecake
Claire and Venturo.
I enjoyed this one as much as the first, but it suffered from the same fate as book 1. The ending is more told to us than shown, and wraps up too quickly.

Claire is from a very different world than Venturo's, so when she arrives as a war refugee, she does what she can to survive and stay 'under the radar'.

Venturo is a strong psych and Claire is smitten but must hide her own psych strength... until circumstances conspire to force her to reveal all.

Safety is good (view spoiler
MrsJoseph *grouchy*

This right here.

I loved this. LOVED.

I'm not sure what I was expecting when I started Silver Shark. I'd just finished reading Silent Blade and I *guess* I was expecting it to be more like Silent Blade .

Silver Shark both is and is not like Silent Blade. The books are in the same series so of course they are a lot alike. Both books (plus Of Swine and Roses ) served as inspiration for Hidden Legacy, both books are Sci-Fi and both have some deception in
Nicole
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, novella, 2019
I loved this story!! Better than the first one! I wish IA wrote more of these.
Maria Dimitrova
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Buddy read with the IAA.

When I find an author I adore I always dread the inevitable moment when I've read everything he/she/they have published. So I kept putting off reading this final virgin territory for quite some time but eventually I got roped in a buddy read with the-one-who-can't-be-defied aka Sarah.

What can I tell you about Silver Shark that won't sound like a fangirl excessive praise??? Oh screw it! I'll fangirl all I want. It's my review after all. It was bloody amazing and I can't c
Catherine
My Kindle edition had a lot of spelling errors and bad punctuation, ill-formed sentences and clunky editing in general. It was a bummer. The story started out wonderfully and I was immediately pulled in to the world and in league with our heroine. She was such a bad ass early on, I was disappointed to see her turn into a doubtful, jealous, meek girl. These episodes never lasted long, thankfully, but they felt out of character.

It was a good story and I enjoyed it but I'm afraid the lack of editi
Paige  Bookdragon

I love it. Too bad it's short but I like this better than the first book.
AH
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love the writing team that is Ilona Andrews. I am so happy whenever there is a new release of their books. I don't usually read science fiction, but I enjoyed this.

Our heroine Claire Shannon is a psycher, someone with the ability to attack others' minds telepathically. When her side loses a 300+ year battle, she is deported to another planet. She is given three months to find a job, otherwise risk deportation back to her world.

Claire finds work at Venturo Escara's corporation and she senses a
-ya
Considering the limitation of managing character development and building a fascinating world in a short novella, Ilona Andrews display their talent in Silver Shark with well-developed characters, creativity, a believable romance, and interesting sci-fi elements that are easy to understand.

Claire and Venturo are lethal psychers, ie, they have ability to hurt or kill people (unauthorized users) just using their mind when logging into biological computer network. ( think hub, cloud, Matrix-like )
JAIME
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddy-reads
This was supposed to be a Buddy-Read with the wonderful IAA team. But, I'm busy/slack/distracted at the moment so I crammed it in over a couple of lunch breaks a few days later. YOLO.

Another really really cool concept from IA. And, I liked the characters in this one way more than in Silent Blade. I even liked the characters from Silent Blade way more in this one.

I really enjoy IA shorts, and hope for a bunch more in this series.
Cathy
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great story, the romance worked well for me, great characters, good snark, superb world-building in these few pages, with beautiful and vivid descriptions, definitely worth a full-length novel.

My only beef with this novella is the ending. WTF? That was such an infuriating place to finish the last chapter and with no sequel in sight. Argh.

I really, really like this on. Great fun.
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
The writing duo of Ilona Andrews is always stellar. These are novellas but you still get an entire world built and characters well fleshed out and an enjoyable story to boot! It's pretty impressive.
AvidReader
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved it! My only complaint is I want more. Claire and Ven was a perfect match. Sharp, skilled, intelligent and dangerous. Their chemistry was crackling from the beginning. Epilogue was different and I gotta read about Celino and Meli from book 1 so that’s a win too.
Recommended.
Vicky
Time to write a review… with actual words… which will start flowing out from me right now… *hands hover over keyboard*

To be honest, I'm not sure what to write. Ilona and Gordon Andrews are 2 of my favorite writers. I tend to love everything they write and that was the case with the previous novella set in this world… but this one was just ok for me I guess. There was nothing I disliked in it, but there also wasn’t anything I flat-out loved. It had a cool world (the bionet stuff reminded me of Na
Ilona Andrews Fans: Silver Shark 7 67 Oct 06, 2011 04:25PM

• Chaos Reigning (Consortium Rebellion, #3)
  • Age of Deception (The Firebird Chronicles, #2)
  • Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles, #1)
  • Polaris Rising (Consortium Rebellion, #1)
  • The Queen's Gambit (Rogue Queen, #1)
  • The Queen's Advantage (Rogue Queen, #2)
  • Aurora Blazing (Consortium Rebellion, #2)
  • Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • Alpha Night (Psy-Changeling Trinity, #4; Psy-Changeling, #19)
  • Pathfinder's Way (The Broken Lands, #1)
  • Curran POV Collection
  • Mist's Edge (The Broken Lands, #2)
  • Curran (Curran POV #1-2)
  • The Wind's Call (The Broken Lands, #4)
  • Wayfarer's Keep (The Broken Lands, #3)
  • Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
  • Circle of the Moon (Soulwood, #4)
  • Fierce Heart (Elven Alliance #1)
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a better grade ...more

Kinsmen (3 books)
  • Silent Blade (Kinsmen, #1)
  • A Mere Formality