Start by marking “Silver Shark (Kinsmen, #2)” as Want to Read:
Silver Shark (Kinsmen, #2)

Silver Shark

(Kinsmen #2)

Claire Shannon is a killer. She uses no weapons, only her mind.

Born on a planet locked in a long war, Claire is a psycher, a woman with the ability to attack minds and infiltrate a biological computer network where psychers battle to the death. But when the war abruptly ends, Claire must hide her psycher's ability to survive. She is deported to a new planet, a vivid beauti
Published September 16th 2011 by NYLA (first published September 14th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Silver Shark, please sign up.
Val Booklover
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
We're the IAA™ and We Need to Buddy Read IA Stuff While We're Waiting to Buddy Read More IA Stuff Buddy Read Part II (WtIAAaWNtBRIASWWWtBRMIASBRPII™) ●

Previous rating: 4 stars. A harefish-brained decapod is me.
New rating: 5 stars. Alleluia and stuff! I saw the light!

It's official, I'm a complete, total, utter, absolute nitwitted dimwit. I mean, why else would I have rated this story 4 bloody pathetic diminutive stars the first time I read it? (view spoiler)
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
4+ stars for this SF romance novella by Ilona Andrews. I've read this one a few times now, whenever I need a quick romantic adventure pick-me-up read. :)

It all begins on a different planet, a bleak mining world where a bitter war has been raging for generations. Claire Shannon is a captain in the military, a "psycher," with extraordinarily strong mental powers that manifest both in real life and on the bionet (a type of virtual reality), where she leads military teams in forays against the enem
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
3.5 Too Short Stars

These books would have been great if they were normal-length but they are too short and sadly suffer from novella syndrome. They seem too rushed and not really complete, and you don't get enough time to get used to and understand things like the bio-net or psychers. I would love a new full-length novel on the series.

Generally the book was good but nothing really impressive. The first one was much better and although Claire was badass, she was also a bit whiny at some points so
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

kickassCantStopkickass

Oh, look! There are TWO kick-asses! Whoopsie. Must've been a mistake, right?

NOPE.

Silver Shark is just that awesome.

We're back in the world of the Kinsmen, only this time we aren't dealing with two rival families.

The blurb (YAY, I actually read one this time) does an excellent job of summarizing the position Claire Shannon finds herself in on a new planet---she's hiding her ability, she has a tenuous grasp on a new start, and she has 3 months to successfully fi
Sh3lly (grumpybookgrrrl.com)
Silent Blade: ★★★★

I liked this even better than Silent Blade. It involves psychic kinsmen and a female captain who survives a war and has to find work as a refuge as an assistant to another psychic and has to hide her true identity. Of course, sparks fly. I liked the descriptions of the bionet.
Robin (Bridge Four)
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

Buddy Read with my lovely ladies over at Ilona Andrews Addicts (IAA)

This quick story set in the Kinsmen world seemed like a great blend of The Matrixx meets Hackers (anyone else besides be remember that movie) and classic Ilona Andrews flare.

Claire is a trained killer and one of the most powerful psychers alive. She has been at war since childhood and they just lost. To survive she must pretend to have no psychic ability and start over on a different planet. She comes from a world of gr
♔ Jaela ♊ Killer ⚔ QUEEN
If only this book was any longer!!

Wonderful wonderful! Have I ever said that I love the worlds IA creates? Yes, a 1000 times.
This book had some similarities with Psy-Changeling series of NS. The bio-net similar to psy-net, tasteless foods the heroine used to eat in her planet and the overwhelming sensations she has in the new world. Or if you have seen the movie eXistenz with Jude Law, then you know what I mean

Claire and Venturo are so good together, I loved the development of their story and I
Emma
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Obviously it was good. It’s Ilona Andrews! The only frustration was that it was too short. The world reminds me of the one from the Psy from Nalini Singh, combined with elements of The Hidden Legacy series. I don’t think this couple are capable of writing a bad book.
Milda Page Runner
Ready Player One meets sexy romance. I liked it. Quick moving plot and excellent worldbuilding - in this case of two worlds and bio-net. Really fast read.
Irene Sim
Euphoric!
That's how I feel after finishing this story...
There isn't really much I can say and I hate to repeat myself.
If you haven't read any book by Ilona Andrews and you want to get a taste of the author's infinite talent, just pick any short story of her Kinsmen series.

I hope we'll get more stories in the future set in this world. And I really hope they'll be longer than this...
Alexa
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Read with the awesome bunch at Ilona Andrews Addicts!

This one was a lot better than Silent Blade. I think it was a combination of a longer page count (almost double!) and the fact that there was some groundwork laid out in the previous book about the Kinsmen and how the society works.

The best part? There's no insta-love! Hurray!

Ilona does several fast-forward cut scenes, which I thought was genius. By doing this she implies that the two main characters have been working together for a while, s
Liz* Fashionably Late
3.5 stars? 3.75? 3.99? Whatevs.

It's IA.

It's sexy, funny and action packed. And too short.
Hollis
This one felt leagues away from the first in the Kinsmen series and it was both entertaining and satisfying and sexy. Would definitely read more of this world and yes I know I say that about all of Andrews' series. But for real are we getting more?
Jen Davis
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, sci-fi-romance
Claire has lived her entire life surrounded by war. She was forced into military service at 14; her psychic gifts, powerful enough to kill. But now, the war is over and those very same abilities have turned her into a target. Such a powerful Kinsman could never be kept alive. So Claire must hide her skills and appear as a normal person in order survive.

She is forced from the bleak, war-torn world and becomes a refugee on a new planet. There, she goes to work for Venturo Escana, a Kinsman whose p
Maria Dimitrova
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Buddy read with the IAA.

When I find an author I adore I always dread the inevitable moment when I've read everything he/she/they have published. So I kept putting off reading this final virgin territory for quite some time but eventually I got roped in a buddy read with the-one-who-can't-be-defied aka Sarah.

What can I tell you about Silver Shark that won't sound like a fangirl excessive praise??? Oh screw it! I'll fangirl all I want. It's my review after all. It was bloody amazing and I can't c
Catherine
My Kindle edition had a lot of spelling errors and bad punctuation, ill-formed sentences and clunky editing in general. It was a bummer. The story started out wonderfully and I was immediately pulled in to the world and in league with our heroine. She was such a bad ass early on, I was disappointed to see her turn into a doubtful, jealous, meek girl. These episodes never lasted long, thankfully, but they felt out of character.

It was a good story and I enjoyed it but I'm afraid the lack of editi
Paige  Bookdragon

I love it. Too bad it's short but I like this better than the first book.
MrsJoseph

This right here.

I loved this. LOVED.

I'm not sure what I was expecting when I started Silver Shark. I'd just finished reading Silent Blade and I *guess* I was expecting it to be more like Silent Blade .

Silver Shark both is and is not like Silent Blade. The books are in the same series so of course they are a lot alike. Both books (plus Of Swine and Roses ) served as inspiration for Hidden Legacy, both books are Sci-Fi and both have some deception in it. B
AH
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love the writing team that is Ilona Andrews. I am so happy whenever there is a new release of their books. I don't usually read science fiction, but I enjoyed this.

Our heroine Claire Shannon is a psycher, someone with the ability to attack others' minds telepathically. When her side loses a 300+ year battle, she is deported to another planet. She is given three months to find a job, otherwise risk deportation back to her world.

Claire finds work at Venturo Escara's corporation and she senses a
-ya
Considering the limitation of managing character development and building a fascinating world in a short novella, Ilona Andrews display their talent in Silver Shark with well-developed characters, creativity, a believable romance, and interesting sci-fi elements that are easy to understand.

Claire and Venturo are lethal psychers, ie, they have ability to hurt or kill people (unauthorized users) just using their mind when logging into biological computer network. ( think hub, cloud, Matrix-like )
JAIME
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddy-reads
This was supposed to be a Buddy-Read with the wonderful IAA team. But, I'm busy/slack/distracted at the moment so I crammed it in over a couple of lunch breaks a few days later. YOLO.

Another really really cool concept from IA. And, I liked the characters in this one way more than in Silent Blade. I even liked the characters from Silent Blade way more in this one.

I really enjoy IA shorts, and hope for a bunch more in this series.
Cathy (cathepsut)
Great story, the romance worked well for me, great characters, good snark, superb world-building in these few pages, with beautiful and vivid descriptions, definitely worth a full-length novel.

My only beef with this novella is the ending. WTF? That was such an infuriating place to finish the last chapter and with no sequel in sight. Argh.

I really, really like this on. Great fun.
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
The writing duo of Ilona Andrews is always stellar. These are novellas but you still get an entire world built and characters well fleshed out and an enjoyable story to boot! It's pretty impressive.
Vicky (the Blowtorch-Wielding OotCDCB™)
Time to write a review… with actual words… which will start flowing out from me right now… *hands hover over keyboard*

To be honest, I'm not sure what to write. Ilona and Gordon Andrews are 2 of my favorite writers. I tend to love everything they write and that was the case with the previous novella set in this world… but this one was just ok for me I guess. There was nothing I disliked in it, but there also wasn’t anything I flat-out loved. It had a cool world (the bionet stuff reminded me of Na
Maraya21 (The Reading Dragon)
*sings* Loved it! ♥
Review will be here shortly. Blink and you might miss it! 😂

Group Read with The Addicts Ilona Andrews Addicts (IAA™)
Suzanne
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I know I'm prejudiced with this one, but I've always loved the idea of psychic powers, and I always enjoy Ilona Andrews. There was a lot packed into this novella - I'd love to read longer books set in this universe.
Claire is a psycher, a soldier with a lethal mental ability who fought on the losing side of a war that consumed her planet for the last 300 years. Now her entire unit is dead and the enemy is killing off any soldier they can find, especially ones with abilities like hers, so her only chance of escape is to hide her power, pretend to be a civilian and get accepted as a refugee on another planet. She has three months to settle on Rada, find a job and start building a new life for herself but if a ...more
Thenia
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great short story in the world of Kinsmen, with multi-layered well-developed characters and a believable love story.

Claire and Venturo are perfect for each other, even if it takes Ven some time to realize it, mostly because Claire is hiding a big part of herself in fear of being deported and executed.

The author's new series Hidden Legacy supposedly has a similar world, so I'm really looking forward to reading Burn for Me, which I imagine will be awesome.

Luli
You can find this review in English below.

2.5 stars.
Esta es la segunda historia que leo de este matrimonio de escritores y… sigo sin cogerle el punto.

La parte fantástica de la historia es, valga la redundancia, fantástica. Es una novela, y aún así la cantidad de detalles y descripciones que nos encontramos sobre este nuevo universo donde se desarrolla la acción es magnífica. Muy sutilmente nos van adentrando en el día a día de esta nueva sociedad, sus normas, su jerarquización… También tenemos a
Saly
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Again a book that blew me away because the heroine was such a bad-ass! It is a short book, but everything works including the romance.
Ilona Andrews Fans: Silver Shark 7 66 Oct 06, 2011 04:25PM
  • Kate's Origin (Curran POV #6)
  • Aftermath (Sirantha Jax, #5)
  • Finders Keepers
  • Mina Wentworth and the Invisible City (Iron Seas, #1.5)
  • The Queen's Gambit (Rogue Queen, #1)
  • Enemy Within (Enemy, #1)
  • Song of Scarabaeus (Scarabaeus, #1)
  • Finding Magic (Downside Ghosts, #0.5)
  • Alien Tango (Katherine "Kitty" Katt, #2)
  • Close Encounters (Alien Affairs, #1)
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a better grade ...more

Kinsmen (3 books)
  • Silent Blade (Kinsmen, #1)
  • A Mere Formality