Start by marking “There Goes the Galaxy (There Goes the Galaxy #1)” as Want to Read:
There Goes the Galaxy (There Goes the Galaxy #1)

There Goes the Galaxy

(There Goes the Galaxy #1)

It’s the age-old tale of boy meets alien abductor. Boy meets stun-gun. Boy learns he’s the only one in the Universe who can save the Earth from extreme world makeover by inter-stellar landlords.

Yeah: he thinks it’s a bit much, too.

Like everyone else on his planet, Bertram Ludlow hasn’t paid much attention to fluctuations in the intergalactic real estate marke
ebook
Published (first published September 12th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about There Goes the Galaxy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Goes the Galaxy

Start your review of There Goes the Galaxy (There Goes the Galaxy #1)
Cst
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amazon
There is a point where every piece of comic or absurdist science fiction is compared to Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. For this book this point happened before I finished the first chapter and that comparison was not favourable.
What makes the situation worse is the feeling that the author's intention was to write a similar book, the basic premise would like to follow the one of its great ancestor but unfortunately everything just highlights the flaws in There goes the Galaxy.
Chanouel
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, series, sci-fi
Sci-fi is not my favorite genre. But I like good writing, good humor and an engaging plot and this book delivers on all counts.
Bertram Ludlow has been kidnapped by alien Rolliam Tsmorlood, because he is the only one who can save Earth and “life as we know it”. There’s only one problem; he has no idea what he’s doing and neither does Rollie.
The resulting story is a hilarious romp through the GCU (Greater Communicating Universe) as we discover its complexities and incongruities along w
Becky
WOW, so I liked this book a lot, it reminded me much of what I like about the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, only with very different twists. The main characters were lovable funny, and believable. The universe created was a fun one that I felt immersed in, the premise buyable. I just had moments where I felt bogged down as I read, almost too much information, and then it was done. No real ending per say, just done. I want more, which if that's the point and I'm to expect a sequel I'M HOOKED ...more
Melissa
Dec 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
There Goes the Galaxy was a lot of fun. At first, I tried highlighting the funny parts but quickly realized the whole book was going to be yellow so I gave up and just enjoyed the ride. The author does an excellent job of keeping the humor and word play going non-stop. I'll be looking for more from Jenn Thorson.
Scot
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I gave up about 2/3 of the way through. It just felt too much like a Hitchhiker's Guide wanna' be and didn't add anything particularly new or funny or interesting. It's not a terrible book... it just never grabbed me and didn't feel like it had enough going for it to keep me reading.
Jaffer
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What an a amazing adventure. And what an ending. So, to Jenn Thorson, finish and publish that sequel quickly so that I know what happens next !
Vlad Vaslyn
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a story of David and Goliath, if by David we mean dreadfully average Bertram Ludlow, and if by Goliath we mean hyper-intelligent aliens with a love for interstellar capitalism.

Bertram Ludlow is abducted from his apartment by an alien named Rollie, and taken into deep space to the Seers of Rhobux, who have a devious plan in store for this very average man. The Seers reveal that only Bertram can save the Earth, so they give him a Yellow Thing to wear around his neck, which looks vag
Belinda
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Douglas Addams fans rejoice! If you enjoy avant garde scifi satire, like Dr. Who, the original Star Wars movie, and the Restaurant at the End of the Universe, you’ll tumble down the rabbit hole into author Jenn Thorson’s world of misadventures and misfits. Life As We Know It is in danger. Only everyman Bertram, a grad student kidnapped en route to his PhD by an alien Indiana Jones and now bouncing like a human pinball through the Greater Communicating Universe, can save us. Help!

Ther
Kate
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very fast, very fun read in the tradition of Douglas Adams.

In fact, it's a pretty darn direct descendant of Hitchhiker's Guide, right down to the very human-looking alien who comes and snatches away a hapless earthling, who must now save his planet. It's loaded with terrible, TERRIBLE puns and a fairly standard "run around trying to save things while being Intergalactic Fugitives" plot, and yet it's lighthearted and funny enough to really work. Hell, the awful puns just keep things
PopcornReads
Book Giveaway & Review: When Jenn Thorson emailed me about her new novel, There Goes the Galaxy, I couldn’t help but laugh. I loved the off-the-wall concept and knew it was a book I wanted to read. If you like your science fiction mixed with a healthy dose of irreverence, humor, and Keystone Cops style bumbling then you’re going to feel right at home reading this fun novel. And, thanks to Jenn’s generosity, one lucky reader is going to win a copy of their very own.

Bertram Ludlow
Kevin
Oct 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sort of slap-stick science fiction adventure. Earthling kidnapped by aliens only to find he is slated to save his home planet but must fight his way through the rather bizarre universe to do so.

And it is pretty funny; full of sarcastic retorts, one liners, absurd situations and lots of word play. A send up of the absurdities of earth culture through the lens of aliens. If you like smart aleck and playful sci-fi you will enjoy this one.

I did feel like it was draw
JT
Aug 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this as part of a Kickstarter package for Robert Kroese's Distopia. I've read and enjoyed several of his books, so I thought I'd give this a shot (it being free was also a plus!).

It starts out with an American graduate student, Bertram Ludlow, who's kidnapped, taken offworld and told that only he can save Earth. He reacts rationally, by assuming that stress from the end of his degree has caused him to have a break with reality. This unusual turn makes for an interesting start,
Hank Quense
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It isn't too often that one gets to read a humorous scifi novel these days and Jenn Thorsen has written such a book.
The book describes the travels of two adventurers.  One is Rolliam Tsmordlood, an alien and Bertram Ludlow, an Earth inhabitant.  Rolliam snatches Bertram from his apartment and the action begins.  Before long, Bert and Rollie have bounced around the galaxy, met up with a number of bizarre folks and found out how determine the Reg Force could be in tracking down fugitives, wh
Claire Pitt
Oct 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: awesome
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. I haven't read much in the sci fi genre before, but this definitely opened up a new intergalactic world for me. I love how the author takes some very clever swipes at the world of marketing and how 'celebrities' market themselves, with her own intergalactic twist. It is one of those books that becomes instantly quotable and you find yourself rereading parts because it makes you smile. It is a humorous tale that would not only appeal to sci fi fans, it would also app ...more
Timothy Coplin
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, read-2014
This is an exciting, fast paced space romp in which the lovable Bertram Ludlow is swept into an extra-galactic mission so save life has he knows it. No, literally SAVE LIFE AS HE KNOWS IT.

Jenn has a wonderful command for the English Language, and has woven a tapestry of comedic activity throughout the Greater Communication Universe.

I had fun trying to keep pace with Jenn's use of playfully appropriate character and place names; my personal favorite: the Luddites. Read the
Melissa
Dec 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Isaac
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One day your in grad school. The next you're being abducted by aliens and told you have to save life as you know it. No problem.

This book has no end of obscure references and it's fun to figure out how the author came up with names.
hollace turnage
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun sci fi

The author is very well educated and skillfully uses her references in a clever and humorous but not pompous manner. Can't wait to read the sequel. Great character development.
Roberto
May 24, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had a a hard time getting to the end of the book, and it turns out it's not even a real end, just setup for a sequel.
Melinda Tyler
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great first stop on the There Goes the Galaxy trilogy by Jenn Thorson. Jenn is a fantastic writer, she has the best sense of humor and after you read her book, you want to go out with her to enjoy a glass of wine--just to hear her witty repartee.

I rarely laugh out loud at a book but this one made me do it. And this book is not exactly in my wheelhouse. I do like Sci Fi--and I love humor--but it's not the major type of book I read. I normally read mysteries and biographies but this fir
Julie Harden
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books, and trilogy. Thornson did an excellent job of world building, from the Greater Communicating Universe (GCU), to DiversiDine, to the UniNet, well realized planets and inhabitants, the Intergalactic Underworld, Vos Laegos, Translachew (a gum that translates language), info-pills. I go could on and on about the rich, in-depth world and universe building.
The characters have personality, and are each funny in their own way.
I just love this trilogy. I really hope to see spi
R.L.
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, fiction, humor
Entertaining in spots, but overall, kind of dragged out for me. May return to give #2 a try, but not right now.
Mary Lyons
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read

Delightful book. Humor mixed with action. GCU is a much different place than Earth (otherwise known as Tryfe) in the book.
Sharron
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great characters

I liked all the characters, their personalities and their weird but firm friendships. ROLLIE is my favorite character along with the Protostar
Joel
Mar 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of the book tries too hard to be like the Hitchhiker's series. A lot of random dad jokes. Eventually about halfway, the book finally get a plot and into a groove where suddenly the character have a purpose and are somewhat interesting. I enjoyed the ending and am excited to read about the future of our planet!
mirba
Jul 28, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dropped
Up till I dropped it, this book was a badly written copy of Hitchhicker guide to the galaxy.
Eric
May 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
A Hitchhiker's clone.

I finished the preview, but I couldn't convince myself to spend the money for the full book.
K Idamari
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bertram Ludlow is an average human being. And that's precisely why he gets abducted by an alien outlaw and thrust into the Greater Communicating Universe (GCU) with the humungously weighty task of saving Tryfe (it's GCU for Earth). Only he doesn't know from what or whom.

Bertram bungles through the GCU bereft of his alien abductor, without any yoonies (GCU currency) to find out the threat Tryfe's under. Along the way he encounters a pop band concerned about their flagging popularity,
Brooke Johnson
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I was giggling through most of the story, and I really liked the characters. The world, or rather, the GCU is vibrant and rich and diverse, and I absolutely loved all the tech--Translachew, infopills, the backwards Klinko tech, the Simmis, ICVs, etc. The different "alien" races were fun and very nicely done too. Everything in the world came to life in this book, and I think the author did a fantastic job there.

The only problem that I had--I can't say it's something I
Jay Batson
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thundering pronouns!

If you liked The Hitchhikers Guide, and enjoyed Mercury Falls, you will enjoy this Tryfling book. In the spirit of those two, this author creates a galaxy rich with ironically-named beings, planets, and devices. They are all rolled together and flung across the galaxy in a tongue in cheek, humor filled, rollicking race to save the planet. With a clever love interest, good guys & bad guys, and a coterie of helpers along the way, the story's star uses basic wits to become t
« previous 1 3 next »

• Alien Night on Union Station (EarthCent Ambassador, #2)
  • The Wrath of Vajazzle (Space Team, #2)
  • Spy Night on Union Station (EarthCent Ambassador, #4)
  • High Priest on Union Station (EarthCent Ambassador, #3)
  • Date Night on Union Station (EarthCent Ambassador #1)
  • Song of the Space Siren (Space Team, #4)
  • Meghan's Dragon
  • Space Team (Space Team, #1)
  • The Guns of Nana Joan (Space Team, #5)
  • Turing Test (AI Diaries #1)
  • Carnival On Union Station (EarthCent Ambassador, #5)
  • Party Night on Union Station (EarthCent Ambassador, #10)
  • Review Night on Union Station (EarthCent Ambassador, #11)
  • Wanderers On Union Station (EarthCent Ambassador, #6)
  • Word Night on Union Station (EarthCent Ambassador, #9)
  • Guest Night on Union Station (EarthCent Ambassador, #8)
  • You Are Dead. (Sign Here Please)
  • Family Night on Union Station (EarthCent Ambassador, #12)
Jenn Thorson always knew she wanted to be a writer; it was the C+ in Penmanship that initially held her back. By the age of 11, she'd written her first mystery novel, Key to the Blue Moon, which her secretary-- er, Mom--was good enough to type up for her. It was a raging hit among the two people she knew.

Spurred by her dramatic success, she went on to write other works, an experience that found h

There Goes the Galaxy (3 books)
  • The Purloined Number (There Goes the Galaxy #2)
  • Tryfling Matters (There Goes the Galaxy #3)