Start by marking “Hungry Hen” as Want to Read:
Hungry Hen

Hungry Hen

There once was a very hungry little hen, and she ate and ate, and grew and grew, and the more she ate, the more she grew.

Up on the hill lives a cunning fox. He watches the hen every day and thinks, "If I wait just one more day, the hen will be even bigger."

Then one day he can't wait any longer...
Published 2001 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Hungry Hen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hungry Hen

Rossy
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
The twist at the end was fun AND scary. Maybe too scary for a kid.
Parry Rigney
Apr 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Hungry Hen loves to eat, and everyday she eats and grows just a little bit fatter. Fox has been waiting up on the hill, licking his lips, but every day he thinks if he just waits one more day, Hen will be even fatter and juicier. One day Fox can't take it any longer, and he heads down the hill to gobble Hen up...but it doesn't end up the way he planned!

Just read this to a big group of kindergarten kids, and it was a hit. This books is short enough, dramatic enough, and with bold enough pictures
Colton Brace
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book really draws you in it with the gigantic hen, and the small sneaky fox. This book has a little twist at the end which was a very big suprise. This is a good read for all ages I would recomend it for a good bed time story.
Jan Polep
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I guess I have a warped sense of humor so I think this one had the best ending ever. Unfortunately, the guy I wanted to read it do didn't want to sit through it because he doesn't like chickens. I wonder if he knows what's in Chicken McNuggets.
Kimberly
Hahahahaha. I used this one for a "Food" themed family storytime on 11/20/18. Some of the kids actually gasped out loud at the (very unexpected) ending. Parents enjoyed it as well!
Aaron_ebert
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people of all ages but it's intended for children
In "Hungry Hen" there is a hen and a fox. The hen just keeps eating and getting larger and the fox wants to consume the hen... but not just yet. He wants the hen to get big and fat; he waits and waits until the hen is very plump.Then he strikes, but something unexpected happens. Read to find out the unexpected outcome! This book was enjoyable to read because it is always good to get back to the basics and really teaches young children some core values that could help them in every day living.(ag ...more
Dan Crist
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Rebecca  Payton
Oct 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was very creative. This book had a very creative, twisted ending. I don't think anybody thought it was going to end this way at all but the creative, twisted ending is what made this book good! The pictures drew you in, causing you to keep reading. In the end, I believe this was a fun, creative children's book, and everybody at all ages would enjoy.
Kelsey Trinkner
Sep 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-junior-year
I did enjoy this book. I got pretty into it. I liked how the author lead you one way with the story and then completely turned it around. I had no idea what was going to happen. I thought it was going to end one way, and then it turns out, it ended the exact opposite way. I enjoyed reading it.
Julia
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Very funny. Good to pair with 1,2 buckle my shoe.
Tracy Thomas
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This short picture book has a funny but unexpected ending. At first, the book begins as a classic tale; the fox wants to eat the hen. But the fox has a fine idea to wait and wait and wait. As he is waiting the little hen is growing and growing and growing each day, and the fox is getting smaller each day. Finally, the fox decided that today is the day, the little hen is no longer little, and she is the perfect size to be devoured. The fox charges down the hill breaks down the door and comes face ...more
Emily Carlyn
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
Another foxy tale with a twist at the end! Hungry Hen eats and eat and grows and grows. Fox waits at the top of the hill each day staring at the farm, just waiting for the day to go pounce on Hen. One day, she can't even get out of her hen house, she's grown so big! Fox is on the move, and CRASH! Face to face with Hungry Hen, what will happen??
Cosette
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I feel like there is a moral here that may say something about picky eaters...
Megan
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
An awesome story about greed. Kids will love the surprise ending. I know I did.
J
Twist ending that is perfect for preschool and early elementary storytime.
Michelle
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
An unhappy book with a stupid ending
Milton Louie
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A surprise ending. B
Deb
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-alena
I identify with the hen. Alena and I liked this book.
Megan - Alohamora Open a Book
Cute and simple book about size comparisons. The ending is unexpected and fun. It'd be a great storytime, barn theme, for toddlers/preschoolers.
The illustrations are nice, but the twist at the end was just unrealistic and I think my story time kids would find it a bit abrupt and scary.
Scott
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Heeheehee.
Feb 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Once there was a hungry hen who ate and ate and grew bigger and bigger. Once there was also a hungry fox, who waited and waited because the hen looked tastier and tastier every day as she got bigger and bigger. Finally the day comes when the fox can't wait any longer, but when the fox and hen meet, the result is rather unexpected.

A very silly story with charming illustrations by Caroline Jayne Church. Thick black outlines combined with simple compositions and a short text make this a great choic
Meghan Griffiths
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book, the Hungry Hen, is a recent discovery of mine and has become one of my favourite children's books to read. It starts with a VERY hungry little hen which ate and ate and grew and grew. However, up upon the hill was a starving fox who noticed that the more the hen ate the more she grew so he waited and waited until he could not stand the hunger no more. But this story ends with a brilliant twist!

The Hungry Hen is a fantastic short story for EYFS children, it's fun, dramatic and has bold
Lindsay
In this story, a very hungry hen eats and eats and grows fatter and fatter. An equally hungry but patient fox waits each day until she has grown into a big meal, however, he is met with an even bigger surprise!I read this story to a preschool class during a class visit, along with two other books about chickens, and it was a hit! I have found that children respond well to books about chickens.

Update: I didn't even realize there was a Spanish translation until June 2013! I switched my review to
Whitney Strickland
Apr 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: animals
Immediately I was attracted to this book. I love the illustrations, textures, and color choice. The story is simple and would make a nice bedtime story. It also has potential to be used as a story basket. There is a small hen and the fox wants to eat it, but decides to wait until the hen gets bigger. As the hen grows larger, the fox gets thinner. The hungry fox is holding out until the hen will make a "perfect" meal. Finally the fox becomes so thin and hungry that he rushes into the hen house an ...more
Sumayya
Jul 04, 2014 rated it really liked it

Hungry Hen is about a hen who just loves to eat and the more she eats the bigger she gets. However, waiting up on the hill is a sneaky fox who thinks to himself that if he waits a day longer the Hen will be even bigger. One day, as the hen becomes so fat that she gets stuck in her hut, the fox runs down the hill in an attempt to eat the hen. However, it doesn't quite work out the way he had planned and instead it is he who gets eaten.
This short story can be used as a whole class read in EYFS.
Kristen
I just love this book. The illustrations are clear, simple, and great--I love the hen getting fatter and fatter. The twist at the end is funny, as well. I've read this in both toddler and preschool story times and it was a big hit in both. I'm not sure the toddlers "got" the joke at the end, but they liked the illustrations and stayed attentive throughout. The preschoolers enjoyed the humor even more.
Tiffany Abston
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
With an unexpected twist at the end of the story, the hen and the fox have more in common than one would think. A great read for all ages, students will enjoy watching the progress of the book only to be surprised at the end of the book as to what really happens. Teachers can use this story for showing students that you never know what can happen if you wait to long.
Lincoln
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read the book "Hungry Hen" by Richard Warning. I picked out this book because it did not seem challenging and I thought I would enjoy reading it. The book is about a hen and a wolf in a farm and a chicken coup, and ends with a surprise. I would recomend this book for all ages mainly because I think a child could read it, but also that a adult would enjoy reading it too.
Brooke Newberry
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book for preschool and early elementary storytime. This silly story features a twist at the end that usually gets gasps and laughter. Worked awesome in my preschool storytime. However, we stopped after the final scene and recapped what happened so the younger kids would fully understand. Would definitely read again.

2/7/2012 & 2/9/2012
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Hat for Minerva Louise
  • Book! Book! Book!
  • The Little Red Hen
  • Hurry! Hurry!
  • Stuck in the Mud
  • I Spy on the Farm
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • This Little Chick