Start by marking “Vampyre” as Want to Read:
Vampyre

Vampyre

Picture books with themes suitable for older children approx.10+ yrs. Strong themes about being who you want to be and moral choice.
Hardcover
Published September 1st 2011 by Walker Books Australia

To ask other readers questions about Vampyre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vampyre

Mischenko
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
To see this review and to learn more about Margaret Wild please visit www.readrantrockandroll.com

Vampyre by Margaret Wild is a children's picture book about a boy who just wants to be himself.

I love Margaret Wild. She's undoubtedly one of my favorite children's authors, so when I saw this scary looking children's storybook, I had to grab it. The story is told in first person and the boy has basically been born a vampire and isn't accepting of it. He has to make a choice.

I am Vampyre.
Feared.
Des
Khrys ♡《TheWaffleGirl》
I had to choose a picture book for an English Visual Literacy assignment and I have to say I made a fantastic random decision to pick Vampyre. I actually enjoyed reading it, even if it took me less than 5 minutes. The artwork and everything really got into me. It left some sort of impression, though I can’t exactly say what.

”I am Vampyre. Feared. Despised. I live in darkness. I long for light.”

It’s pretty dark and sad. I’m more surprised this is a children’s picture book. It’s short story is
Mary Refalo
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An interesting and challenging book by Margaret Wild and illustrated by Andrew Yeo, this is definitely a picture book for adolescent readers. Wild and Yeo have considered their teenage audience in this story. The narrative is inspired by the recent popularity of vampire fiction and the images inspired by gothic architecture. The story is compelling. Although simply written and in first person, the reader engages in the implications of the protagonist's birth-right as a vampire, but really, this ...more
Siddha Malilang
Jul 23, 2012 rated it liked it
At first I thought that this picture book would be 'cheap', as in surfing through the vampire wave brought about by the infamous Twilight Saga. Is this basically the twilight-ification of children's picture books? However, I found something deeper than just a 'cheap' story of vampire. Unlike my prejudiced 'vampire for dummy - children's edition', this is more like a vampiric Bildungsroman. Unfortunately, this book still retains the stereotypes for twilight-like stories, and thus some initial spr ...more
Kate
Sep 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous fabulous book. A surprise from Margaret Wild, in that this is a book suitable more for older children. This is a story about a young vampire who realises he is considered a monster to all other living things, and with all his heart, and against the expectation and beliefs of his family, he refuses to accept his destiny. With strength and determination he sets off to find another life for himself, a move which could cost him his life.
Lyn Battersby
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: awards
Lyn is a judge for the Aurealis Awards. This review is the personal opinion of Lyn herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

I will be reviewing and rating this once the AAs are announced.

Edwina
Apr 04, 2012
Stephanie
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautify Illustrations.
I've been reading Margret Wilde's book since I was little and I always enjoyed them.
Fiona
Mere
Nov 09, 2014
Nicole
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this at the Lifeline Booksale today and, although I love Wild's books was very disappointed in it. I left it there but have regretted it since. While it did not originally appeal to me, the story has stayed with me and my understanding of it has developed through the day. It is dark but it is a story of being who you want to be. I do hope it went to a good home.
Alhusainy jalow
Nicole
Nov 05, 2013
Mia K
Mar 03, 2016
Margaret Wild has written more than seventy books and has been published around the world. Her numerous awards and distinctions include the Children’s Book Council of Australia Picture Book of the Year Award for Jenny Angel, illustrated by Anne Spudvilas; The Very Best of Friends, illustrated by Julie Vivas; and Fox, illustrated by Ron Brooks. In 2008 she received the Nan Chauncy Award for an outs ...more