Start by marking “Keep a Quiet Heart” as Want to Read:
Keep a Quiet Heart

Keep a Quiet Heart

Peace and quiet--to many of us they're just words. Somehow we have allowed the frenetic pace of life to rob us of the quiet, restful moments with God we so desperately need. Keep a Quiet Heart features the rich devotional musings of one of America's favorite authors and points the way to a deep experience with God, away from the unsettling distractions of day-to-day living ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Fleming H. Revell Company (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Keep a Quiet Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keep a Quiet Heart

Start your review of Keep a Quiet Heart
Tarissa
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Keep a Quiet Heart, Elisabeth Elliot shares articles from her newsletters. It's a collection that encourages you to know God better. You can find Him best when your heart is quieted, and that is what we as Christians should strive for.

"A quiet heart is content with what God gives. It is enough."
"A Quiet Heart", Keep a Quiet Heart

There are countless lessons to be heard in this volume, if you're looking for them. As Elliot prescribes, stillness of mind, quietness of heart, can lead you to G
Ashley
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books I go back to several times a year for wisdom. It has been a life changing book for me. A quiet heart is something I still long for and pray for.

If you also long for one you need to read this book.
Becky Pliego
We all need to be exposed to the influence of godly women like Elisabeth Elliot in our lives.

(2017) I am so grateful for the many books E.Elliot left for us to read. She has been -without a doubt- a great influence in my life.

Leslie
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I feel honored to have spent a month or two with Elisabeth Elliot. This book was timely because we faced a severe grief this summer that made space for the mysterious, quiet heart of which she speaks (or better yet, the need of it).

Keep a Quiet Heart is a collection of her articles featured in her newsletter, which is printed six times a year. Reading this book is like coming to her kitchen each morning for a cup of coffee and a lesson in faith. Its central message is to know and love the Lord
Jeanie
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Rachel Schwagerman; Hannah Schwagerman
There is scripture on keeping a quiet heart. "But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price" I Peter 3:4. Elisabeth Elliott takes many topics from faith, Why God, Suffering,work, prayer, marriage, abortion, children, and with a story and scripture, how our hearts can be quiet and surrender to God's sovereignity in our lives. I loved her candor, the simplicity and the need for ...more
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was so, so good, I never wanted it to end. It encouraged me, challenged me, and helped deepen m understanding of God.
Hanna Lee
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderfully encouraging and edifying read. It is a collection of short essays (1-5 pages each) that were originally published in newsletters Elisabeth sent out. They cover a variety of topics and are filled with scripturally based truth in love. It was quite easy to read and I enjoyed it far more than I expected.
Trace
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-faith
4.5 star rating.

I am so thankful for Elisabeth Elliot's refreshingly honest and often pithy viewpoints. She is among a dying breed of Christian women. When you read her work, you can tell that this is a woman who has put in years of time spent on her knees worshiping God and that she's known pain and difficulty.

Her essays and thoughts have MUCH depth to them. I find it difficult to read many of the popular blogs of Christian women because they lack this sort of intellectual depth and experienc
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this in conjunction with my morning quiet times, and I can't even express how blessed I was by it. Every morning I came away with a better understanding of my role in this world and, most importantly, God. I was refreshed, my heart was quieted, and my love for the Father grew. I highly recommend this for any woman at any stage of life, but particularly for married women and young mothers.
Kaitlyn Pindak
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rereadable
A treasure trove of wisdom bound in this book based on her newsletter, radio show, musings and correspondence with those who would ask her advice. This book reflects on the practice of being at peace. Highly recommend this book! It has advice for all seasons of life! Elisabeth Elliot has ALWAYS been one of my favorites!
Joy Rojas
This is a really good book. So convicting and encouraging!
Ron Lohrbach
May 28, 2008 marked it as to-read
How I located:

This piece about an ant’s fortuitously retrieving a mountain climber’s lost contact lensis a charming enough parable about the concept that the Lord may sometimes call upon us to bear burdens for reasons we do not understand (but which ultimately prove beneficial to ourselves or to others), although its circulation on the internet has resulted in a widespread misattribution.

Josh and Karen Zarandona are not the authors ot this item: they’re merely two people whose names became atta
Rebekah Jones
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reading
This book is a collection of articles by Elisabeth Elliot wrote over the years for her newsletter, and collected together and published in a book. The articles are a combination of encouragement and instruction for following the LORD and keeping a quiet heart in every circumstance; learning to give over every ounce of our own will and sense of self-preservation to the Almighty. She touches on bereavement, singleness, unfaithfulness in a spouse, and the struggle in the every day, among other thin ...more
Grace
Sep 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: devotionals
Elizabeth Elliot is a master at understanding Human Nature. Her insights in this book (which is a collection of short devotionals written over a period of several years) are amazing. She can tell just what you're thinking, and sometimes the application the day's reading has to the day's events are uncanny. It's like she's speaking just to you, for just this day, and just this problem.

I read this book at kind of a difficult growing time (story of my life), and it really made an impression on me.
Melanie
Feb 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: devotionals
I first got this book from a friend in 1995 so the inscription in front reads. I pull it out every few years to read it. You can either read a story each morning for a devotional time, or read the stories through. Elisabeth Elliot is a dynamic writer, missionary, encourager. I strongly recommend this book that has stood the test of time if you want to feel connected to others in the body of Christ.
Naomi Atwater
Jul 31, 2020 rated it did not like it
My mom gave me this book several years ago and I just got around to reading it. I feel awful rating it below, but it’s explained in my system for rating Christian nonfiction books:

1. Is the writing professional, understandable, and entertaining? No. This book is divided into many 1-3 page little sections of various things EE writes about. Many of them are repetitive, come to illogical conclusions, or are obvious conclusions with no new ideas.

2. Are the author’s ideas well organized and thought
Amanda Tero
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a collection of random articles by Elisabeth Elliot, organized into different subjects.

This was my first time to read Elliot after years of hearing high praise of her. I didn’t absolutely love every article of hers, though. Maybe it’s because her personality is more intense than mine? I would read a few sections then hit one that just didn’t... sit well with me. Some of it were more her opinions than actual Scripture, yet she stated it in just as certainty as she stated biblical truths.
Tori Samar
“The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances.”

This is the kind of book that you can dip into again and again when you need some reminders about trusting and resting in God. Some of the chapters seem a bit out of place, since this book is more of an anthology of articles Elisabeth Elliot wrote for a newsletter rather than essays limited exclusively to the subject of keeping a quiet heart. Nevertheless, I enjoyed reading through a few chapters each day. They are short, n
Christa Blakey
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances.” (p. 20)

This devotional will minister to your soul! A unique collection of over 100 short writings by Elisabeth Elliot, each will point you to turn to God for the fulfilling peace and quiet that he offers!

Written in a warm, personal way each section, though brief, is packed with Scripture and delivered in such a way that will comfort, instruct and motivate you to keep your heart right before the Lord rather than distracted
Linda
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book that I need to own (I'm reading a copy from the library). I've been using it in my morning devotionals and it has inspired me in so many ways!!!

An added note, even though too late for me, there is a lot of good advice for young mothers.
Julia Bickford
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! Her wisdom was very helpful to me! I think this book would be best as a daily devotional over sitting down and trying to read it in a month (like I was trying to do), because the sections are so short and don’t relate to one another (it’s a compilation of her newsletters she sent out).
Heather Totten
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic devotional! Chose to read this one more like a book, because I enjoyed her perspective. At times while reading, I felt like I got to sit and sip coffee while hearing advice from a spiritual Godmother.
Joellen
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book so much and would recommend it to EVERY woman. I will be keeping it in my arsenal, next to my Bible.
Emily Schmader
Read an essay or two at night before bed. I love Elliot’s thought provoking words and her commentary on culture through a Christian worldview. Will definitely reread!
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a refreshing book. Short chapters, beautiful insights.
Ieva
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting thoughts on home-schooling and different topics in general. One kind of perspective on things. Glad for her insight!
Lorrany carvalho
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As someone not raised in a Christian family with family devotions, knowing the importance of learning discipline and work, this book is refreshing. She brings so much of her own experience and upbringing and a fresh perspective centered on Gods word. What does she talk about? Everything. Abortion, Feminism, child rearing, Quiet time with the Lord, Loss, Feeling Overwhelmed, Tired. Since this is a collection of short stories, I took my time, reading it like a devotional and it’s been so beautiful ...more
Shu Yi
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book reminded me that above all, God can be trusted to be in charge of our lives as we commit them to him, faithfully doing what we need to do each step of the way.

Some memorable (and spoilery) parts of the book:

The original sin, pride, is behind my "poor self-image", for I felt that I deserved better than I got, which is exactly what Eve felt! So it was pride, not poor self-image, that had to go. If I'm so beautiful and lovable, what was Jesus doing up there, nailed to the cross and crow
Chloe
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Elisabeth Elliot writes a remarkable blend of old-fashioned Christianity--the deep, lasting sort made of faith that has been tested in the flame--with a firm understanding of the challenges facing Christian women today. An excellent devotional full of solid advice and spiritual truths, her individual essays are often only a few pages, making them the perfect dose of encouragement for a busy mother or student.

Aside: I finished this book a few weeks after its author passed away. I felt, though I h
Christina
Jun 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
I hadn't read EE in years and enjoyed this book, which is a collection of articles from her monthly newsletter. It is grouped by topic, but can still seem a bit choppy.
There is a lot of great wisdom here. I particularly enjoyed the insights on joyful work as an example to our children, living a faithful "hidden" life (what is unseen by others and only by God), and the section on the Christian home. Some might find EE's advice a bit old-fashioned and out of date, but I was greatly encouraged and
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Columbus
  • The Lifegiving Table: Nurturing Faith Through Feasting, One Meal at a Time
  • Trusting God: Even When Life Hurts
  • Amy Carmichael: Beauty for Ashes
  • Even Better Than Eden: Nine Ways the Bible's Story Changes Everything about Your Story
  • Beholding and Becoming: The Art of Everyday Worship
  • GraceLaced: Discovering Timeless Truths Through Seasons of the Heart
  • The Gospel Comes with a House Key
  • Devotedly: The Personal Letters and Love Story of Jim and Elisabeth Elliot
  • Long Days of Small Things: Motherhood as a Spiritual Discipline
From the Author's Web Site: My parents were missionaries in Belgium where I was born. When I was a few months old, we came to the U.S. and lived in Germantown, not far from Philadelphia, where my father became an editor of the Sunday School Times. Some of my contemporaries may remember the publication which was used by hundreds of churches for their weekly unified Sunday School teaching materials. ...more

News & Interviews

“Leave it all in the Hands that were wounded for you” 123 likes
“The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances.” 53 likes