Start by marking “Beauvallet” as Want to Read:
Beauvallet

Beauvallet

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  3,051 Ratings  ·  219 Reviews
"Mad Nicholas" to his friends, "Scourge of Spain" to his enemies, Sir Nicholas Beauvallet is one of Queen Elizabeth's most dashing buccaneers and has never been known to resist a challenge.
When Beauvallet captures the galleon carrying Dona Dominica de Rada y Sylva and her father, he vows to return them safely to the shores of Spain. But he has no sooner done so than he pr
Published 1969 by Heinemann (first published 1929)

To ask other readers questions about Beauvallet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beauvallet

Carol♔Type, Oh Queen!♕
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sabatini fans
I had a bit of trouble persuading the Georgette Heyer Fans Group to read this title - I must be losing my touch! :D

Although this book was always a 3.5-4★ read for me, I can understand why that wouldn't be the case for all readers.

GH wrote Simon the Coldheart by Georgette Heyer earlier about one of buccaneer "Mad" Nick Beavallet's ancestors. GH took her world building very seriously - my 1937 copy of Beauvallet even has a family tree at the back. It is too hard to reproduce the whole thing (its very wide) but here is a snippet;

Quit
Rane
Feb 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keeper
On the high Seas no man is more feared and loathed then the notorious Sir Nicholas Beauvallet, a Englishman with a reputation for taking over Spanish ships for queen and country, but never did Nicholas think that the next vessel he over took would hold a treasure far beyond anything he could have imagined, one that would capture his heart and him willing to risk his life for Dona Dominica de Rada y Sylva.
Dominica will be no one’s captive, and she fights El Beauvallet at every turn, but with h
Hannah
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My new favorite Heyer (topping Arabella by a slim margin).

Really enjoyed the old-fashioned, swashbuckling appeal of this one, which reads differently then her Regency/Georgian offerings. Many reviewers have likened this story to watching an old Errol Flynn movie, and I agree 100%. Brave deeds of derring-do, espionage and love in the Elizabethan Golden age (prior to Elizabeth's war with Spain) set our English pirate Nick Beauvallet and our Spanish heroine Dona Dominica on a wild, romantic ride. G
Allison
This is quite different from Heyer's other books that I've read. It's set in Elizabethan times rather than around the Regency or Georgian eras, and involves England's conflict with Spain. Beauvallet is an English captain feared by the Spanish as a devil-worshiping pirate, although he is of course an honorable pirate who attacks Spanish ships in the name of the Queen and relies on luck, skill, daring, and a sense of humor.

I found that it had a really slow start - about 30 percent to set up the s
Nick Imrie
I very nearly gave up on this book in the first act because I absolutely loathed the heroine, Dona Dominica de Rada y Sylva, who embodied all the worst negative traits of femininity. She sulked and pouted. She slapped men, safe in the knowledge that they are honourable fellows and won't slap her back. She tried to slap the hero who caught her wrist (naturally): a trope that I find highly irritating, not least because it's obvious that she wanted the pleasure of being thwarted and controlled by a ...more
Mela
What can I say? I am a fan of Heyer. This was my second historical fiction of her (or third if one counts An Infamous Army). I love Simon The Coldheart (I have read it in just three sessions, it was so engaging). I am a little disappointed with Beauvallet.

Yes, there is an action, a romance, sparking characters and some fun. But, something is lacking for me. I like this story, really, but... I have even read a few random pages from Devil's Cub (one of my favorite Heyer's books) to check if I am
In all honesty, I would rate most of Heyer's other stories above this one. The plot was flat and predictable. Still, there were good characterizations, (I will admit to laughing at the greedy, but totally honest about it, aunt), and the swashbuckling was great. What else do you want from me? I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition—

God alone knew what might be done to Beauvallet. She had heard that those who fell into the clutch of the Inquisition were sometimes never heard of again.
Nikki
This certainly wasn't my favourite Heyer novel so far, given the hero's grabby hands and ego, but at least the heroine was a match for him in many ways, and it is a fun set up. It's not a Regency novel like most of Heyer's others, but one of the more historical ones, and honestly I could've dispensed with the romance for more of Nick swashbuckling his way around Spain as a spy. That plot, I liked: I wonder what Heyer would have done if that was her focus.

While this isn't as amusing as most of he
kris
Jul 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicholas Beauvallet is an English pirate. Dominica de Rada y Sylvan is his stubborn Spanish prisoner. He declares his love for her. She tries hard to spurn his advances but just can't seem to say no to the English Love Boat Technique. So then Beauvallet invades Spain with an army of 2 to steal away his love and thumb his nose at some arrogant Spanish papists.

1. If Heyer is channeling a slangy Austen in her Georgian/Regency romances, I would posit that she was attempting to channel the bard hims
Karen
Note to self: never take unread Georgette Heyer novels on trains.

I first read Beauvallet several years ago on a train leaving the capital for home. Unfortunately, not only was the train very over-crowded but it was stuck in Essex for approximately 3 hours if I remember correctly. I was feeling hot, tired, thirsty, claustrophobic and cranky. Poor Beauvallet was, as it were, in my hands, and ever since has been viewed with dislike by myself.

I can only conclude that I was blind as well. What Beauv
LaFleurBleue
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-histo, e-book
This is a distinctive novel from Georgette Heyer, totally swashbuckling! It takes place sometime along Elizabeth I reign (1558-1603 for those, like myself, needing a quick refresher); the time of the great discovers is not that far away and that of the major English privateers preying on gold-ladden gallions of the Spanish Empire is at its peak.
The hero is one of those privateers. He reminded me in a way of Errol Flynn as Robin Hood, for the humor, laughing eyes, easygoing charm, less the tighty
Carrie
In a word, wonderful! The tale of a daring (and dashing) privateer determined to seek out his lady-love in the heart of enemy Spain is superbly written and expertly narrated. Georgette Heyer may be a master at Regency romances, but this one set in Elizabethan times may be one of my all time favorites. The book is full of wonderful characters, wry humor, witty scenes and clever dialog. While the romance is sweet, and a driving force behind the action, this book is different from many of Heyer's o ...more
CLM
I have always been enthralled by Heyer's one 16th century historical romance. While Nick Beauvallet and his servant play more prominent roles than the heroine, she holds her own in terms of spirit and intelligence.

This is one I reread and enjoy often. As with some of her Regencies, the addition of "real" characters such as Philip II and Sir Francis Drake, adds another enjoyable element, as does the threat of the Spanish Inquisition should Nick be apprehended by his enemies. The concept of honor,
Jane Stewart
3 stars. Not much romance or relationship development, but good as an entertaining swashbuckling adventure.

STORY BRIEF:
Sir Nicholas Beauvallet (Nick) practices piracy upon the Spanish as a form of unofficial warfare – at the behest of Queen Elizabeth I. He is captain of the Venture. The Spanish believe he achieves the impossible through witchcraft. When he captures a Spanish ship, he takes Dominica and her father aboard his own ship as guests. He promises to deliver them safely to the Spanish c
Haley Mathiot
Jan 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Boys/girls ages 13-Adult to lovers of Historical fiction, romance, adventure
Recommended to Haley by: Sourcebooks
Shelves: 5-star-bookshelf
When Dona Dominica sets sail on the Santa Maria, she wonders if she will ever meet the infamous El Beauvallet, the English pirate with a reputation of being able to do anything because of witchcraft. But she does not expect her ship to be taken by him, Nor does she expect to be kidnapped by him and taken abord his ship the Venture.

Sir Nicholas Beauvallet captures Dominica and her father and proclaims that he will take them home to Spain, as Dominica has demanded. But falling head over heels in
Barb in Maryland
Though written well before Errol Flynn made The Sea Hawk, I dare you to read this and >not< picture Flynn as dashing Nick Beauvallet. Sweeping romantic adventure in the age of Elizabeth I.

ETA: 10 Nov 2017. Just finished my umpteenth re-read with the GH Fan group.
One of our discussions got into movies, specifically who (among movie stars of yore) we pictured as Nick Beauvallet. This conversation brought to my mind the realization that 'Beauvallet' is a very visual book. Lots of action, lot
Amy
A grand, romantic, swashbuckling adventure set in the Elizabethan era. "Mad Nicholas" Beauvallet is a privateer and favorite of Queen Elizabeth. After a sea battle with a Spanish ship, he finds himself confronted with unexpected prisoners: a wrathful Spanish lady and her dying Father. Determined to return them to Spain where there is a price on his head, Beauvallet finds himself falling in love with the lovely Dona Dominica, and determines to woo her. However, in order to claim her as his bride, ...more
Pamela Shropshire
What a fun old-school swash-buckling romance! The hero, Sir Nicholas Beauvallet, is an English seaman who has sailed with Drake and others; he has been knighted by Queen Elizabeth. His older brother is a wealthy Baron. Beauvallet is sailing from the West Indies when he is attacked by a Spanish ship; he defeats them and when he and his men board the Spanish ship, they find a lady, Dona Dominica de Rada y Sylva, and her father, Don Manuel, who is very ill with a fever.

Beauvallet is taken with her
Susan in NC
3.5 stars - I wasn’t clicking with this Heyer through most of the book, and would’ve given 2 stars for “ok” on my personal scale, but the last quarter or so brought the rating up for me. Formulaic swashbuckler to me, but in all fairness, Heyer wrote this early in her career. I much prefer her Regencies and mysteries.
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
I've been a fan of Heyer's historical romances since I first read my mum's old copy of Beauvallet when I was a teenager. If you've never read one you don't know what you're missing! My edition is very old, actually it's the First Australian Edition from 1948, it has no dust jacket, and the pages are brown and brittle. I have 39 of her romances (she also wrote about eight detective books with the help of her detective husband, but I've not read any of them); there are about three or four I don't ...more
Peggy Stuart
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants a clean romance.
Recommended to Peggy by: Audible
I've decided that this is one of my favorite Georgette Heyer novels. I can see it as a movie with Errol Flynn as the swashbuckling Beauvallet. British aristocrat younger-son-turned-pirate captures Spanish ship carrying a dying Spanish aristocrat and his lovely, feisty daughter, Doña Dominica de Rada y Sylva, back to Spain from the new world. Sparks fly, and the attraction is undeniable. Beauvallet puts the girl and her ailing father ashore safely in Spain, vowing to return within the year to cla ...more
Muriel
I'm a huge Heyer fan but this one took me a bit longer than usual to get into. It starts out a little slow (although I did really enjoy Beauvallet's visit to his family in the first part) but it picks up half-way through and becomes a fun swashbuckling adventure. I think the main problem for me were the leads... they were likable enough but I wasn't in love with them.

I seem to have problems when Heyer heads to Spain for some reason... I've been reading The Spanish Bride forever! Still, Heyer at
Sherwood Smith
This is not a silver fork novel, more of an adventure in the Geoffrey Farnol tradition, based on real events. I don't think Heyer had the skills to pull it off: her research of facts is impeccable, but she doesn't understand the paradigm, so her characters read as cardboard cutouts.
M-n
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wanted to give three and a half stars.This is a heyer I have never read, yet it took me a time to warm to it. It's set in Merrie england Queen bess time and our hero is a pirate.He captures a ship and falls for his captive then must rescue her. A swashbuckling goes its really good and would make a good film.I don't know why I didn't love it as I normally do G heyers , the language ?setting? I also disliked the fact that all the Spanish were either devious, bloodthirsty , sinister or base not one ...more
Laurie
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you took Zorro and Pirates of the Caribbean and combined them, you would get this book! I LOVED it! So exciting and romantic and adventurous. I have found a new favorite author and can't wait to read more!
Ellie
Jan 25, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What absolute trash!

If you liked the book, you might not want to read on...

The plot is ridiculous - not as in satirical and funny, but as in cringingly awkward. In fact, it would be more apt to say there is no plot - the whole book is a trope.

In order to insert the chosen clichés, various emotions and actions are forced upon cardboard characters. They have no real personalities - they aren't anything like real people.

Beauvallet is (supposedly) reckless, clever, infuriating, charming, and just g
C.P. Lesley
Classic Georgette Heyer in swashbuckling mode—which I normally like. The action is good, the settings and costumes wonderfully realized, and the dialogue sparkling, as always. Very much like her eighteenth-century novels in style, but set 200 years earlier.

Even so, I find the two leads rather one-note and predictable. As often happens with early Heyer (this one was published first in 1929), there is an extreme age difference between the hero and the heroine: Nicholas “has thirty-five summers,” w
Regan Walker
Lively Elizabethan Swashbuckler set in England, France and Spain

Set in 1586 in England, France and (mostly) Spain and the waters off their coasts, this is an early work of the classic author, Georgette Heyer, a swashbuckler with an English aristocrat, Sir Nicholas Beauvallet. “Mad Nicholas” prefers sailing his ship and troubling the Spanish galleons to enjoying the wealth he has gained and the family estate in England.

On one of his excursions, Nick captures a Spanish galleon carrying Doña Domin
Kathy Davie
Mar 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, history
It’s a pirate’s li…er, privateer’s life for me! A second son, Nicholas Beauvallet has acquired quite a reputation on the Spanish Main and Phillip II has put a high price on his head. Which explains why Don Juan puts his ship at risk even though he’s carrying the ex-governor of Santiago and his daughter.

Nick’s promise to set the governor and his daughter, Doña Dominica, onto Spanish soil simply confirms his bravado. Doña Dominica hopes this is enough to sustain her while she awaits Beauvallet’s a
Andi
Apr 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever seen the movie The Sea Hawk? Did Georgette Heyer ever see that movie? I feel she must have because the book reminds me of this. But seeing that the film was based heavily on Sir Francis Drake, and the main character (of Beauvallet) is friends with Sir Francis, I think that I found where the similarities come together.

Both feature a captain who works for the Queen capturing ships; both capture a ship with a Don and Dona ; both feature the main character falling in love with the Don
  • Georgette Heyer's Regency World
  • The Private World of Georgette Heyer
  • Elyza
  • The Mandarin of Mayfair (The Tales of the Jewelled Men, #6)
  • Ever After (Williamsburg, #3)
  • Longing
  • The Surgeon's Lady (Channel Fleet, #2)
  • The Mercenary's Marriage
  • The Black Swan
  • The Silverton Scandal
  • The Nonsuch Lure
  • A Proper Companion (Regency Rakes, #1)
Georgette Heyer was a prolific historical romance and detective fiction novelist. Her writing career began in 1921, when she turned a story for her younger brother into the novel The Black Moth.

In 1925 she married George Ronald Rougier, a mining engineer, and he often provided basic plot outlines for her thrillers. Beginning in 1932, Heyer released one romance novel and one thriller each year.

Hey
More about Georgette Heyer...

“A voice that to Dominica's fancy seemed to hold all the sunshine and the salt wind of fine days at sea smote her ears.” 4 likes