Start by marking “Flabbersmashed About You” as Want to Read:
Flabbersmashed About You

Flabbersmashed About You

3.11  ·  Rating details ·  102 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Readers first met Katie Honors in Rachel and Yumi's Sometimes I'm Bombaloo and Jibberwillies at Night. Now Katie is back as she deals with feeling "flabbersmashed" by her best friend, who suddenly wants to be friends with another kid. We've all been flabbersmashed by a friend--left out of an activity or secret, left to feel sorry for ourselves, or move on. Will Katie ever ...more
Published July 3rd 2012 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Flabbersmashed About You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flabbersmashed About You

Heather Bowden
This was a cute book. There were some made up words and I had to take a second look at it to pronounce it right. We could use this to go over strategies for decoding words. This could also be a mini-lesson to help with their writing. I could have them write about their imaginations and what their friends play and they will have to put into words what they use and what it is in their imagination.
Sarah BT
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I'm not sure what I think of this one. I like the subject-friendships can be hard and it can be very confusing when your best friend decides to play with someone else. But the story felt like it could have added a bit more to it-it just felt like it was missing something. And the illustrations were too busy and messy for me. It was just Ok.
Stephanie
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
I'm not sure about this one--the assumed lesson of making new friends seems to get confused or lost in a different message by the end...
Edward Sullivan
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Friends have spat and make up.
Barbara
Sometimes friendships form because of connections between two individuals, and sometimes they end because the two friends have changed or are moving in different directions. For whatever reasons it happens, it hurts when your BFF no longer seems interested in spending time with you. When Katie Honors (heroine of Sometimes I'm a Bombaloo and Jibberwillies at Night) finds her best friend Jennifer playing with another classmate, leaving her to walk in alone from recess, she is lost, hurt, and angry ...more
Jennie Machines
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
A story about a girl whose best friend, Jennifer, likes to kill bad guys with her new friend Roy more than making soup with the narrator. The narrator gets so mad when Jennifer chooses to hold hands with her new recess partner, Roy, that she yells at Jennifer: "I am so FLABBERSMASHED about you!"
Miss narrator upset and hurt, is approached by Arabella, who may enjoy making soup. So the story ends on a happy note, with Arabella and Miss Narrator becoming potential best friends.

When i first picked
Emily Johnson
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is the perfect book about friendship! Katie and Jennifer have been best friends forever. One day Jennifer decides that she doesn't want to play with Katie, but rather she wants to be with a boy named Roy, and Katie is flabbersmashed! She thought that they were best friends and best friends do everything together! Katie gets really upset and starts to feel really lonely. Although she thinks of all of these really mean things to say to both of them she holds it in and doesn't say anythin ...more
Bailey Carlson
Mar 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Flabbersmashed About You is a really cute childrens' picture book about a girl named Katie who is best friends with Jennifer, until Jennifer finds someone else to play with at recess. Katie is "flabbersmashed" at Jennifer and feels so alone, until one of the quiet girls in class befriends Katie. At this point, Katie is more than happy with her new friend. This book used such bright colors and the illustrations appeared as if they were drawn on a piece of paper, cut out, and pasted back onto the ...more
Kim
What do you do when your forever best friend plays with someone else during recess, and even holds hands with the interloper when it's time to go inside? Well, you feel sad and abandoned and angry-- in a word, flabbersmashed! The story's premise is a great conversation starter; unfortunately, the illustrations are just a little too precious to appeal to any other than the youngest children. Useful for pre-k and kindergarten.
Hannah
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-lit
Rachel Vail writes a story that every body has to go though sometime in their life. This story walks through what its like to have your best friend not want to be best friends anymore. It talks about your best friends getting new friends and having to make new friends for yourself. This book would be especially helpful for young girls as that age can be hard for them.
Kelsey
Aug 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: k-2nd, friendship
"Katie is back as she deals with feeling "flabbersmashed" by her best friend, who suddenly wants to be friends with another kid. We've all been flabbersmashed by a friend--left out of an activity or secret, left to feel sorry for ourselves, or move on. Will Katie ever stop feeling left out?" (Goodreads feature review)
Jayna
Jul 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Ages 4 and up

When Katie's best friend Jennifer decides to play with someone else during recess, Katie gets jealous and wants to say mean things to Jennifer. Katie soon finds that having other friends can also be good.

This would be good to read to kids to help them understand that they can have many friends and that their friends can have other friends too.
Inger Yoder
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
I loved this book! I would definitely read it to my classroom. It talks about making friends with people who you might not be friends with if it wasn't for a different circumstance. I think friendship is a really big topic to be discussed in elementary school, and books are a great way to start talking about it.
Kkakaliouras
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
I know kids can relate to that flabbersmashed feeling. I just wish there was more to the story. It ends with the girl finding a new friend which is sweet but it is never quite that simple or neatly resolved for kids. Friendship can be hard. This book addressed some of that but it could have done more.
Bethe
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Seems every friendship comes to a flabbersmash moment - for Katie it happens on the playground when Jennifer decides to play with Roy instead. Katie's emotions are realistic - I love the depiction of the "million mean things" to say page. The different sized and colored fonts move the story along, as do the vibrant illustrations. Good friendship story.
Cecilia
May 20, 2016 rated it liked it
This book approaches the feelings one experiences when feeling confused and betrayed by a person, and handles it well. The art style wasn't one I normally would have sought out, but the writing itself was very strong.
Jessica Lauber
Jul 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Colorful, variety of font types. Descriptive language. Best friend makes a new friend, plays different things, leaving Katie alone to play, and sad. A new friend comes along. Good message about helping others and not giving up. Illustrations are colorful, stick-figures
Rani
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
When Katie Honors best friend Jennifer decides to play fort and catch thief with Roy, Katie is flabbersmahed. Soon, she finds a solution to her problem. Sensitive handling of a major life lesson learned during childhood.
Erin
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book is just okay. It's about a little girl who has to declare herself friendly at the beginning. The font is horrible, btw. This girl has to deal with her best friend playing with a boy instead of her at recess. She becomes "flabbersmashed" at her best friend. Blah.
Holly
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was super cute. It talked about two friends who are having friendship trouble. In the end, they find out it is ok to be friends with other people. This book was a good read for me and I am in college. I love when books can relate to all students.
Dana Pressnell
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
When your best friend chooses to play with someone else on the playground, it is painful. Cute illustrations. Great discussion book for k-2
PWRL
Sep 25, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
A
Lisa
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
a little girl finds out that it is ok to make new friends
Beverly
Mar 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
For every child whose best friend suddenly finds someone new to play with. Touching story.
Ms Threlkeld
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Good book for helping younger kids deal with getting snubbed by friends, but not something I'd buy for my library or use as a read aloud.
Aimee Owen
Mar 12, 2013 rated it liked it
If you've ever felt left out on the playground, this tale will resonate with you.
Deanna
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a good book for young children, kindergarten and first graders. The story is realistic, about what happens with friendships in those early years. True to life experiences.
Linda Atkinson
Jan 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Better choices in Highly Commended, in my opinion. Charlotte Zolotow Award Honor Book 2013 Flabbersmashed About You written by Rachel Vail, illustrated by Yumi Heo (Feiwel and Friends)
Rachel
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Interesting take on learning about friendship, but the story and illustrations are flat, and the made up word does not add anything to the emotion.
Burbank Library Children's Department
A lovely, simple picture book for kids struggling with making new friends while coming to terms with their "old" friends meeting someone new.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Birth
I was born on July 25, 1966, in NEW YORK CITY, and grew up in New Rochelle, NY, with my mother, my father, and my younger brother Jon. (And down the street from my future husband, though of course I didn't know that until much later.)

Interests
Some details, I do know-I was very into reading and theater, so I read every book I could get my hands on (especially realistic fiction, either contempo
More about Rachel Vail...