Start by marking “The Quiet Gentleman” as Want to Read:
The Quiet Gentleman

The Quiet Gentleman

Gervase Frant finally returns to his father's estate to claim his title as the new Seventh Earl of St. Erth at Stanyon. Unscathed from glory at Waterloo, Gervase expected a hero's welcome-instead he's given a frigid cold shoulder. Upon his return, only Theo, a cousin even quieter than himself, is there to greet him--and when he meets his stepmother and half-brother open di ...more
Hardcover, First Australian Edition, 352 pages
Published 1951 by Heinemann

To ask other readers questions about The Quiet Gentleman, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Audra
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Quiet Gentleman
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Upping my rating to a full 4 stars on reread. The characters are interesting - both the hero, Gervase, and his love interest are unusual types; there’s lots of witty banter; and the mystery is ... well, not earth-shaking, but a little more subtle than I gave it credit for on my first read.

Gervase Frant returns home in 1816 from the Napoleanic wars to assume his role as the Earl of St Erth. Trouble and resentment await him in the form of his imperious stepmother and his spoiled and truculent youn
Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂
I was all set to read my Arrow copy - until I took a good look at the picture. The Quiet Gentleman by Georgette Heyer

Apparently St Erth returned from the Napoleonic Wars in 1816 & decided to dress in his late father's clothes. As Lady Caroline Bingley would say, I was all astonishment!

So I pulled out my old Pan instead.
The Quiet Gentleman by Georgette Heyer Pretty decent shot of Gervase & Marianne, I thought.

This book is a little too Austenesque & not Heyerish enough for me. Don't get me wrong I love Austen - when Jane herself writes i
Ruth
Feb 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Georgette Heyer novels should be printed with a warning. I have to be careful when reading her novels in public. This is because they inevitably cause a goofy smile to be pasted on my face, and I'll start giggling loudly at random times for no apparent reason to the poor, unsuspecting public around me. The Quiet Gentleman is no exception to this rule. Absolutely nothing beats a Heyer Regency romance for the sheer enjoyment factor and witty, intelligent humor. She truly is the closest thing to re ...more
SallyB
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ahhh. Georgette Heyer. I love you. It makes me wanna cry when the big readers in my life never heard of her.
Amy
2019 Review
I am surprised I took to this one as strongly as I did on my first reading. It is not exactly absorbing from the get-go. Maybe because I knew how it would all turn out this time, I found myself impatient with the dawdling way things unfold.
But I do love Miss Morville (even if her name is Drusilla, which is a horrible thing to do to a character.) Her prosaic attitude towards everything makes her utterly charming and a breath of fresh air for the Regency genre. And for once her type of
Jacob Proffitt
Jul 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another listen with my youngest on our commute. We actually made a date to finish this on Sunday morning so that we wouldn't have a huge gap (she's out of school this entire week so no commute). Which says something for how into the story we were. I just love Gervase and his appreciation for Drusilla makes my heart go all aflutter. Okay, that's an overstatement but still, these two are just so outstanding.

That said, I had a harder time with the side family than I remember. Martin is just so bras
Vivian
Another countryside romp in this story of succession as the disenfranchised Gervase returns from the battlefields, resigning his commission, and taking his rightful place as Earl of Stanyon. Much to the disappointment of some.

Similar to The Unknown Ajax in the general plot line and characters, but there's an added attempted murder to jazz this one up a bit. Definitely more dare-doing and mishaps for the characters. I figured out the mystery portion less than halfway through so it seemed to limp
Sabina
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very different kind of Heyer. The hero and heroine are so atypical that I loved them all the more for it. Let’s face it, they are actually more typical of real life than the normal heroes and heroines. Being a ‘sensible’ sort myself, I’ve always had a soft spot for Drusilla – now if only I could find my ‘Gervase’!
Seema Khan
3* for The Quiet Gentleman.

I have read a great many Georgette Heyer books and am a die hard fan of her works, but sadly The Quiet Gentleman did not live upto my expectations.

Though the writing itself is unquestionably signature GH, the overall story failed to keep me intrigued. And the more is the pity because more than romance this is a kind of suspense or mystery novel and a grounding mystery was sadly absent.

The story is about Lord Gervase St Erth of Stanyon who has been alienated by his fath
Jessica
One of Heyer's books that moves more into the mystery genre than the romance, which I only started to suspect well past the halfway point! But the point of the book is who is trying to do in our titular quiet gentleman, aka the Earl St. Erth, aka Gervase? Because, you see, despite years fighting Napoleon on the Continent, somehow Gervase (the product of his father's ill-fated first marriage) has survived and come home to accept his titles, his properties, and upturn the quiet life of his indulge ...more
Sophia
After a history of being apart from his family, Gervaise Frant, the new Earl of St. Erth, returns to Stanyon Castle to claim his place as head of the family. If he expected a warm welcome, he is sadly mistaken because his widowed step mother, the Dowager, and younger half brother are put out of sorts that he survived the war and returned home to take his place.
Gervaise is a winning, handsome man with quiet genteel ways and this earns him respect in the neighborhood, among the servants, and, unf
Anne
Am I the only one who didn't see through the mystery?!?!?!? I did not think it was predictable at all!!! But, oh!!!! So frustrating!! I loved this book, but it did not end the way I wanted it too...it didn't feel concluded. How I wish we could have been given more insight into the romance! It only unfolds in the last pages, which makes it come out as really unexpected and random. I wanted to read about the change of opinion Gervase had of Drusilla, Because at the beginning he finds her boring an ...more
Tweety
Aug 31, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Light Suspense/Mystery fans with a hint of Gothic
Recommended to Tweety by: Anne
I wish I knew what to rate this, but for the life of me I can't! Never mind, 3 1/2

Gervase Frant, comes home after years in the army. He never expected his family to greet him with open arms, but he didn't expect hostility either! The whole castle seems to be brooding over some dark secret...

(Bodiam Castle)

Martin his half brother plainly declares war on Gervase who he views as a usurper. Worse, Martin feels that if it hadn't been for Gervase, his lady love wouldn't have spurned him. It's ju
Abigail Bok
On her worst day, Georgette Heyer is better than any other writer of Regency romance I have read. She invented the genre, and it’s possible that nobody should have tried to follow in her footsteps. Within the canon of Georgette Heyer novels, however, there are some that succeed better than others. For me, The Quiet Gentleman is not one of the more successful.

Perhaps the problem is that she is trying to combine forms that sit uneasily with one another. This book doesn’t know whether it wants to
Anna
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: britmania
Gervase returns home one year after his father's death having inherited the title. Estranged from his father because of his mother's behavior, he has spent his adult life in the cavalry and has survived Waterloo. It's not a happy homecoming. He encounters his stepmother's (mother-in-law throughout the book) suspicion and his younger half-brother's resentment. Martin has grown up with his father's affection and indulgence and with shadowy expectations of inheriting.
With the shadow

I wonder if thi
Andrea AKA Catsos Person
Georgette Heyer group BOTM December 2015.

This was my second read of this title and I have more of an appreciation of the H/h this time around.

A couple of years ago, I had just descovered GH and I want on a bender with her romances and this book and the H/h did not compare favorably when read back to back with favorites such as Devil's Cub and The Grand Sophy and others MCs with s
more forceful personalities.

A common complaint among the casual reader of a GH romance is well... How little romance t
Lady Wesley
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amz-rev, listened
Excellent Heyer romance, with a bit of mystery thrown in. Who is trying to kill Gervase Frant, Earl of St Erth? Napoleon's army couldn't do it, but are his spiteful half-brother and stepmother planning to finish the job? And will Gervase steal his brother's sweetheart, the beautiful Marianne, or fall for the less lovely but smart Drusilla?

I've enjoyed almost all of Heyer's books, and this one is no exception. The excellent review at audiogirls.com inspired me to add it to my to-listen list.
QNPoohBear
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it

Gervase, the Seventh Earl of St. Erth returns to his ancestral home after successfully surviving the wars much to the dismay of his ambitious step-mother and spoiled half-brother Martin. His cousin and agent, Theo, is pleased to see Ger as is Druscilla Morville, a neighbor and sometimes companion to Ger's step-mother. Ger is quiet and doesn't fight back, therefore his step-mother thinks she can continue to rule the household with an iron fist and send the Earl running for one of his other proper
Teresa
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very slow book to start but once it got going I enjoyed it very much. It was populated with characters who are not easily forgotten. Other than the odd diversion the whole story took place at Stanyon Castle.
I liked Drusilla a lot. She was quite and steady and very sensible but eminently likable. Marianne was a good character too. She was very young and naive and this was her only fault if fault you could call it.
Martin was a royal pain but this was more or less down to his mother. He
Sherwood Smith
Despite the clumsy murder thread running through this story, it's one of my favorites. It succeeds where I think A Civil Contract failed--it gives us the best of Heyer's "plain but kind" heroines, one with a decided sense of humor, who achieves romance on her own power, and without melodramatic suffering, like the supposedly "realistic" A Civil Contract. The heroine's parents are a total delight--part of the Lake Poets, having raised their daughter to be practical and republican. The characters ...more
Pamela Shropshire
Gervase Frant is now the Earl of St. Erth. He did not have a close relationship with his father, mostly because he resembles his beautiful mother who left the late Earl to be with her lover and died a few years later. Gervase has been an army officer and only sold his commission recently, a year after his father's death.

Now he has finally returned to the main family estate, Stanyon. His younger half-brother, Martin, very much resents his bad taste in surviving campaigns in both France and Spain.
eyes.2c
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency-romance
I'm obviously following the 'gentleman' characters at the moment. Gervase Frant, 7th Earl of St. Erth survives Waterloo but will he survive the taking up of his inheritance in the face of the opinions of the Dowerager Duchess and his younger half brother who'd been brought up to expect St. Ert to not make it. There's a lot of thrust and cut here, what with various other parties, a flighty young innocent and an older phlegmatic, more controlled woman who takes a breath and gets the job done. St E ...more
Kavita
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mystery rather than a romance. In fact, the romance was pretty understated and was only developed at the end, along with the solution. The Earl of St Erth returns from the wars to succeed his father's title and discovers that his family resents him. But who would go as far as to murder him?

The story takes a long time to get interesting and the beginning is very slow. I almost gave up after a few chapters, but glad I stuck with it as halfway through the book, it really picks up and suddenly ev
Mela
Like all GH books also this one was greater/grander than most of the genre. But comparing to other GH Georgian/Regency novels I give it four stars.

I was gripped by the plot practically through the whole book. I had had my suspicions but to the end, I wasn't sure who was trying to kill Gervase.

Like in all GH books there were wonderful characters (the Dowager, Martin, Teo, Marianne, Leek, Chard, Turvey, Mr Morville, Mr Warboys). Their presence was enough to make a charming, witty, enjoyable book.

T
Susan in NC
Apr 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread
9/2018 re-read: bumped back up to 4 stars, as I’ve enjoyed this re-read so much, and as always with the Heyer group, learned more through our group discussions! Still not my very favorite Heyer, but I really like Gervase and Drusilla (ok, definitely NOT my favorite hero and heroine names...), and there are several great characters and a good mystery, along with a subtle romance.

2015: Second time reading this book, first time was about four years ago and I gave it four stars.

Since I've become su
Nicky
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, romance
I don't know how Georgette Heyer manages to send me into flutters with each new (to me) book of hers I read. This one kept me occupied with a murder mystery as well, which I always like (though strange to say, I don't enjoy Heyer's non-Regency mysteries). It's an interesting set of characters, and an interesting choice of romance -- Heyer really wasn't locked in to any stereotypes of romance, but picked characters that were different enough in each book to avoid too much repetition. I love the e ...more
Marija
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, regency
So much fun!
Even if the mystery was almost that transparent that it is not worth talking about, the wit was incomparable!
The romance was well done; absolutely fictional(of course!) but in its core, I think it realistic. You can see the stages, the growing, the first blossoms so to say and it was after my taste: not too much of it too make me blush and roll my eyes but enough to keep me entertained.
CatBookMom
The main character evolves from an uncaring, uptight man into someone who goes out of his way to preserve the family name and the honor of his cousin, who has done nothing to deserve it. Miss Morville is an excellent character: strong, intelligent, and resourceful, yet still very much within the traditional role of women in this era.
Abigail
Oct 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Georgette Heyer Fans
Returning home from the Napoleonic Wars, Gervase Frant found himself confronted by a hostile step-mother and half-brother, neither of whom was happy that he had survived to become the new Earl of St. Erth. Struggling to come to terms with his unhappy relations, Gervase soon found himself the target of a series of assassination attempts. But was his envious half-brother Martin behind it all...?

Although a pleasant enough read, particularly for Georgette Heyer devotees, The Quiet Gentleman isn't en
Blodeuedd Finland
My second Heyer book was a bit different because there was a big mystery in it, still it was not one of her true mystery novel. There is romance, mystery and the stillness that is proper manners.

First I was not sure about this one, mostly cos I felt Gervase was going after the wrong woman. Well I feared so. Though that fixes itself because he is a very quiet gentleman. A proper and nice man, a bit too nice actually. But then I do think Heyer seemed to like second chances and being all nice and a

• Marianne (Miss Wolfraston's Ladies #1)
  • A Companion in Joy
  • A Prior Attachment
  • The Impossible Ward
  • Miss Lockharte's Letters
  • The Unlikely Chaperone
  • A Season at Brighton: Romance and rivalry in Georgian England (The Eversley Saga Book 3)
  • The Toast of the Town: A Georgian romance with a spirited heroine (The Eversley Saga Book 2)
  • The Colonel's Spinster: A Regency Romance (Tragic Characters in Classic Lit)
  • Lady Pamela
  • The Last Waltz
  • The Mock Marriage
Georgette Heyer was a prolific historical romance and detective fiction novelist. Her writing career began in 1921, when she turned a story for her younger brother into the novel The Black Moth.

In 1925 she married George Ronald Rougier, a mining engineer. Rougier later became a barrister and he often provided basic plot outlines for her thrillers. Beginning in 1932, Heyer released one romance nov

Related Articles

We all have our reading bucket lists. James Mustich's 1,000 Books to Read Before You Die is bound to seriously expand that list...
“Depend upon it, you are just the sort of girl a man would be glad to have for his sister! You don't even know how to swoon, and I daresay if you tried you would make wretched work of it, for all you have is common sense, and of what use is that, pray?” 36 likes
“How came you to tumble down the stairs as soon as my back was turned?' ... The Earl slipped his arm behind her, and raised the hand he was still holding to his lips ... Miss Morville, finding his shoulder so invitingly close, was glad to rest her head against it ... Her overstrained nerves then found relief in a burst of tears. But as the Earl chose to kiss her at this moment, she was obliged to stop crying, the merest civility compelling her to return his embrace. As soon as she was able to speak, she said, however, in a voice meant only for his ears: 'Oh, no! Pray do not! It was all my folly, behaving in this missish way! You felt yourself obliged to comfort me! I assure you, I don't regard it - shall never think of it again! ... You would become disgusted with my odious commonsense. Try as I will, I *cannot* be romantic!' said Miss Morville despairingly.
His eyes danced. 'Oh, I forbid you to try! Your practical observations, my absurd robin, are the delight of my life!'
Miss Morville looked at him. Then, with a deep sigh, she laid her hand in his. But what she said was: 'You mean a sparrow!'
'I will not allow you to dictate to me, now or ever, Miss Morville! I mean a robin!' said the Earl firmly, lifting her hand to his lips.
This interlude, which was watched with interest by the three servants, with complacence by Mrs Morville, critically by the Viscount, who was trying to unravel the puzzle just set before him, and with hostility by the Dowager and Mr Morville, seemed to break the spell which had hitherto held the rest of the company silent.”
3 likes