Start by marking “Hinds' Feet on High Places Devotional: The Original and Complete Allegory with a Devotional and Journal for Women” as Want to Read:

Hinds' Feet on High Places Devotional: The Original and Complete Allegory with a Devotional and Journal for Women (High Places #1)

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  35,304 Ratings  ·  933 Reviews
Lift Your Eyes Above the Noise of Everyday Life...
and Get Lost in the High Places of God’s Presence!
 Get ready to experience Hannah Hurnard’s Hinds’ Feet on High Places—a modern classic that beckons you to enjoy a deeper relationship with the Good Shepherd.

In a world characterized by noise and busyness, this beautifully-written allegory invites you to lift up your eyes
Published December 15th 2015 by Destiny Image (first published 1955)

Shannon
Jun 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Almost exactly one year ago, a friend read an excerpt of this book to a group of women. In the portion she read, Much-Afraid (the main character) is promised a new name by The Shepherd. I asked what name she was given, but my friend merely smiled and told me I should read the book myself. From that point on, the book has been in my mental queue, but the time was never right. Then last month, someone mentioned the book, heard I hadn't read it and loaned it to me on the spot. There's something to ...more
Alice
Aug 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Book Clubs, Scripture Study Groups, anyone seeking closeness with God
Recommended to Alice by: my mother
When I first started reading this book I thought it would be too simplistic. Even the names of the characters, like Much Afraid and her companions Sorrow and Suffering, seemed to scream spoon fed spirituality.

As it turned out, I only had 10 minute chunks to read this book in and it allowed me to time to really chew on the story and how I could relate my own life and experiences to it. It turned out to be a beautiful meditation of God's love for us and our journey to our own high places.

This ve
LadyCalico
May 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't read this book until I was on old lady and I saw my own story written in every detail in every page, finding understanding of why God expected me to travel such hard roads during my life as a slow learner. A must-read for every Christian woman, maybe men, too, especially those (like me) whose lives have been compressed, narrowed, and limited by their fears and worries, for those who value security over growth. To paraphrase Beth Moore, we will never find our way to our Promised Land unt ...more
Angelica
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every girl needs to read this book! And then, every woman needs to read this book! We can all relate to Much Afraid's journey, and we can all be blessed, encouraged, and challenged through it. And who doesn't need to know that The Shepherd is good and loves us and knows what we need?!? Seriously, it's a must read!

Kelly's ( Next Best Read )
Make haste, Beloved, be thou like an hart On mountains spicy sweet; And I, on those High Places where thou art, Will follow on hinds’ feet; As close behind the hart, there leaps the roe, So where thou goest, I will surely go.
Abigail
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was simply providence that inspired this book. It does not cease to be exact. The author knew just what she wanted to portray. She was able to use the tools she acquired to delightfully array a series of unforgettable, eloquent sentences in an artistic, yet factual manner. The dialect is profound, refined and very beautiful, though in certain areas it can be slightly wordy.

The story itself illustrates the beauty of obedience, and the importance of life choices that are produced from the sacr
anca dc
Jan 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This is not a bla-bla-book although it is a story but the genuine profound experience the author lived all her life and also while she was visiting Switzerland for a 10-days-holiday. Behind the main character with all her failures, fears and physical defects lies the author herself. The beautiful landscapes through which Much-Afraid is going on her journey and the message that they carry were the same thing Hannah Hurnard was taught by her Shepard seeing the beautiful landscape of Switzerland.
Th
Kathryn
When I hear the phrase "Contemporary Christian Fiction," I snort inwardly, blanch, and avoid eye contact. Why? Because Christians publish books like this.
Much-Afraid's pedantic journey to the kingdom of Love was too much for me to endure. After sixty pages of sugary spirituality and stilted attempts at eloquence, I dropped it, feeling victimized and somewhat embarrassed by the religious glurge that had violated my brain. I would blame my extreme distaste for this book on its allegorical nature,
Roxanneandvince Weber
I know everyone is supposed to love this book, but I found it annoying. Don't tell anyone.
Brian Whited
I read this book at my wife's request, who loved it. It is in the genre of Pilgrim's Progress, an allegory of a pilgrim who must journey through the dangers and trials of the Christian life. The biggest difference is that the main character is a female, which gives the book a decidedly different feel. There are many beautiful and convicting parts in the book, although I probably don't identify with the author, as much as a woman might.

With that said, my favorite moment of the book was in Ch 4,
Brent
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Megan
Dec 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a tricky one to judge.
The overall writing style is very odd...childish almost, in a very prosaic way, and the book is liberally sprinkled with poetry. For literary merit alone, I wouldn't give this book any awards.
The thing that I really did love in parts was the allegory. Some of the metaphoric lessons and concepts were really quite powerful.
As a whole, flowing story, though, there was very little to bring everything together. It's often hard to identify what exactly is taking plac
Jrad
May 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those looking for strength in trials
This book is a profound little book. Hannah Hurnard writes a very provocative account of little "Much Afraid" and her journey to join the Shepherd in the High Places. This book unashamedly deals with the doubts we face in our Christian walk. When it seems that we are being led in the wrong direction, in the end we have taken the right journey and been made stronger for it. Without the suffering and trials we face, we cannot learn to enjoy the pleasure and beauty of the High Places.
Tiff Miller
The three stars fit exactly what I felt when reading this book. I simply liked it. It was like comfort food, frankly. Warm, savory, and simple. While there are a lot of great truths in this classic allegorical tale, they are cloaked in a simple story told with eloquent language. While many people abhor allegory, I like it. It paints a powerful visual in my mind that I will forever associate with the truths it illustrates, and I appreciate the imagery and story.

My favorite chapter takes place whe
Ian
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't read many allegories but this was such a delight and I can understand why so many people read it multiple times. The story of Much-Afraid and her journey of falling increasingly in love with God as she climbs the mountain is tremendously uplifting and inspirational. Here she is, the fearful Much-Afraid, learning to trust her Shepherd as He transforms her. What is interesting is the significance of encounters with her Shepherd. It is only through the deepening relationship realised by tho ...more
Kathleen Grace
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a few places I might have some minor theological quibbles (especially in her telling of how the book came to be - it's hard to tell whether it's writerly language/poetic license, or her actually looking for "messages from God" in the flowers/mountains/etc.).

However, I see why this book has become so well-loved. It's comforting, challenging, and encouraging. It doesn't quite make five stars on my list, but I have a feeling I'll be re-reading this one in the future.
Esther Collier
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An allegorical account of Much-Afraid and her journey of character transformation. At the beginning of the story, Much-Afraid is haunted by Craven-Fear and Pride. But as she follows the Shepherd and the path he has ordained for her, she learns to appreciate His will for her life through acceptance and surrender. She learns that the things she is terrified of are not a barrier to perfect love who is able to cast out all her fears.
Abby A.
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This little book. is.amazing! I love the allegory in which so much of a christian walk is portrayed in this piece of literature. The main character Much-Afraid has to overcome her fears in order to be with the Good Shepherd on the high places. Once she reaches her final destination her name is changed to Grace and Glory. How true it is-that trials only come to make one stronger. In order to appreciate victory a battle has to be fought. Often times human emotions can be crippling if allowed. Howe ...more
Sarah Gutierrez
Feb 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 7-12 year-old children, and all those older who are still young at heart
I have to admit it; I like this children's version even better than the original Hind's Feet on High Places. The pictures are enchanting and the abridgment is quite well done. I have read this aloud several times to some of my younger siblings, and they have always enjoyed it--particularly the illustrations of Pride and Craven Fear, I'm afraid! :) The text may be a little above the heads of pre-school children and too long for the hyper ones, but for slightly older children who still enjoy bein ...more
Sasha
Jun 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a charming allegory of the Christian journey, particularly the Christian's battle against self. Hannah Hurnard is a genius wordsmith, and the twists and turns of the plot, along with her delicate writing style, kept me intrigued. This is an old book (1930s? 40s?), but Hurnard's insight is amazingly relevant. I would especially recommend this to anyone who has the patience for books designed to inspire quiet self-reflection and who can appreciate older writing styles.
We love
Mar 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book maybe 4 times now?! It never ceases to bless and challenge me. The theology of Hurnard's later writings went a little sideways, but Hinds Feet and its sequel...Mountain of Spices have a special place in my heart.
TC
Feb 14, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An allegory, beautifully written. Puts me in mind of C.S. Lewis' 'Till We Have Faces, but it is less complex. This is a story/parable for the soul. It would be a lovely gift book.
Brittney ~ Her Bookish Things
One of the most meaningful and gorgeous books I've ever read. It totally changed my life and my perspective on the things I've been through.
Anita
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A moving story, whose characters we face in our day to day lives. I relate well with it and it was an eye opener. I recommend it to every Christian.
Kelsey Gould
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After completing this book for the third time in about 4 years, these are my conclusions:

Is it a little cheesy? Likely. Is the author a Biblical scholar? Unlikely. But for whatever reason, this book is 3/3 on lifting my spirits out of the depths. It is simple and beautiful and trains my heart to endure when circumstances are difficult or confusing. This one is a keeper.
Nina
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You often hear people say that a book changed their life. This book not only changed my life, it changed ME. Never have I been able to identify so completely with a fictional character, never have I read my thoughts and feelings described so perfectly. Never before have I so completely understood whom I wanna be.
I recommend this book to anyone who can identify with the name Much-Afraid.
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Despite the obvious nature of the allegorizing, this book is extremely well-written. The characters are interesting, well-drawn, consistent, and engaging. I liked the Song of Solomon framework, and thought the story held together well. I've read it probably a dozen times, and always enjoy it.
However, on looking a little closer this time, the "higher life" angle was a bit disturbing. It isn't, as I'd previously thought, a salvation analogy, though it would have been a good one. But Much-Afraid st
Linda
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians
Although I have been a Christian my entire life, I had never encountered Christian allegories in the genre of Pilgrim’s Progress and Hinds' Feet on High Places until my own children were in school. My first impression of this book was that it was strange. I wasn’t quite sure that I was getting it. I found a free resource on the internet for the first chapter. After reading the guide, I felt more comfortable that I was on the right track.

Hannah Hurnard is imaginative and packs a lot into a story
Sheryl
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice story or allegory but light on theology and any kind of depth. It's a "make you feel good" kind of book and that's about it. Had I not had to read it for a book group, it would never have made my list.
Trace
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nobody will be able to convince me that the Lord did not send this book to me at just the time I needed to read it most. 5++ stars!

At the very beginning (but not for long) I thought it would be a super simplistic version of Pilgrim's Progress... but its really not. The writing is absolutely beautiful. It is a splendid contemplation on the gifts of Sorrow and Suffering.... yes I did say "gifts".

I particularly loved Chapter 7 titled On the Shores of Loneliness - it really spoke to me during this
A new musical based on this book 3 32 Jun 25, 2014 05:42AM
  • My Utmost for His Highest
  • A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23
  • If
  • The Normal Christian Life
  • Peace Child: An Unforgettable Story of Primitive Jungle Treachery in the 20th Century
  • The Divine Romance
  • The Cross and the Switchblade
  • The Practice of the Presence of God
  • Rees Howells: Intercessor
  • Through Gates of Splendor
  • A Man Called Peter: The Story of Peter Marshall
  • Bruchko: The Astonishing True Story of a 19-Year-Old American, His Capture by the Motilone Indians and His Adventures in Christianizing the Stone Age Tribe
  • Tales of the Kingdom (Tales of the Kingdom, #1)
  • Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret
Hanna Hurnard was a twentieth century Christian author, best known for her allegory Hinds' Feet on High Places.
Hurnard was born in 1905 in Colchester, England to Quaker parents. She graduated from Ridgelands Bible College of Great Britain in 1926. In 1932 she became an independent missionary, moving to Haifa, Israel. Her work in Israel lasted 50 years, although she would later maintain a home in E
More about Hannah Hurnard...

High Places (2 books)
  • Mountains of Spices

“She bent forward to look, then gave a startled little cry and drew back. There was indeed a seed lying in the palm of his hand, but it was shaped exactly like a long, sharply-pointed thorn… ‘The seed looks very sharp,’ she said shrinkingly. ’Won’t it hurt if you put it into my heart?’

He answered gently, ‘It is so sharp that it slips in very quickly. But, Much-Afraid, I have already warned you that Love and Pain go together, for a time at least. If you would know Love, you must know pain too.’

Much-Afraid looked at the thorn and shrank from it. Then she looked at the Shepherd’s face and repeated his words to herself. ’When the seed of Love in your heart is ready to bloom, you will be loved in return,’ and a strange new courage entered her. She suddenly stepped forward, bared her heart, and said, ‘Please plant the seed here in my heart.’

His face lit up with a glad smile and he said with a note of joy in his voice, ‘Now you will be able to go with me to the High Places and be a citizen in the Kingdom of my Father.’

Then he pressed the thorn into her heart. It was true, just as he had said, it did cause a piercing pain, but it slipped in quickly and then, suddenly, a sweetness she had never felt or imagined before tingled through her. It was bittersweet, but the sweetness was the stronger. She thought of the Shepherd’s words, ‘It is so happy to love,’ and her pale, sallow cheeks suddenly glowed pink and her eyes shown. For a moment Much-Afraid did not look afraid at all.”
65 likes
“When you wear the weed of impatience in your heart instead of the flower Acceptance-with-Joy, you will always find your enemies get an advantage over you.” 51 likes