Start by marking “Partials (Partials, #1)” as Want to Read:
Partials (Partials, #1)

Partials (Partials Sequence #1)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  45,467 Ratings  ·  4,323 Reviews
For fans of The Hunger Games, Battlestar Galactica, and Blade Runner comes the first book in the Partials Sequence, a fast-paced, action-packed, and riveting sci-fi teen series, by acclaimed author Dan Wells.

Humanity is all but extinguished after a war with Partials—engineered organic beings identical to humans—has decimated the population. Reduced to only tens of thousand
ebook, 1st Edition, 468 pages
Published February 28th 2012 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Partials, please sign up.

Mia The premise is similar: humanity is nearly extinct because of non-humans. The story is different though and they're both brilliant in their own way.

Wendy Darling
It seems as though YA Science Fiction is experiencing a bit of a resurgence lately. Like many other readers, I'm a little tired of the barely-dystopian trend, so it's great to see a very firmly science-oriented book like Partials come along. Airborne viruses + survivalist action drama + human interest story is a great combination, and one I think most fans of post-apocalyptic thrillers will enjoy.

In the year 2076, 11 years after an airborne viral outbreak, the average newborn lives just 56 hour
Lyndsey
You can now check out the Partials trailer right HERE on Goodreads!

A Partials-themed Acrostic!

Pregnancy obligations for the young like in Bumped.

Amateur military of Falling Skies.

Rioters and mercenaries threaten way of life like in The Survivors.

The MC is a bad-ass female scientist like in Bones

Infertility woes of the women on the Lost island.

Artificially created humans similar to Cylons from Battlestar Galactica.

Lots of myths being busted.

SCIENCE!!!

The Rundown

The world has been decimated
Emily May

It seems to me that the first mistake made with this book was to target teenage girls. Here I come with my gender stereotyping and I'm sure there will be other female readers who'll love this book and disagree with me... but despite the protagonist being female and the cover featuring a teen girl, Dan Wells appears to have written a "boy book". The lengthy descriptions and idle conversations were dull enough without the subject matter going from hockey to guns to bombs.

In the words of Mr Presle
karen
oh my god!! i just got an unexpected ARC of this on the SAME DAY as i got the new ron rash ARC!!! what is a girl to do??? too many good things at once!!! this is the best nightmare i have ever had!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

this is a very high three-stars. it would have been a four if i was just judging it on enjoyment and the ability of the plot to engage me. but i have decided to be more responsible when reviewing the
Kiki
Oh, for fuck's sake, just make it stop. God, this book bored me to tears. I fucking quit. No love lost.

Dan Wells, you write pretty well. In fact, your writing is enjoyable. But I just had to throw in the towel by about page 80. I just couldn't take it any longer. I opened the ebook file one last time, just to take one more stab at it, and I swear there were tears in my eyes.

I shut it down. Laughing is okay. Eye-rolling I can deal with too. But crying is not appropriate. When a book makes me cry
Giselle
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, arc
Intense with highly sophisticated world building- Partials is a fantastic addition to the dystopian genre. Babies don't survive and the youngest human on earth is now 14 years old. With 99% of the population gone, killed by a new epidemic, Kira is determined to find a cure to save humanity.

I have to start with Kira because she is an excellent protagonist. She is incredibly determined, and this presence throughout the novel of pure dedication to her cause is all consuming. You want her to succeed
Brad
I'm gonna struggle a bit here and say some good things. The writing is clear. The characters are easily visualized. The plot twist is serviceable.

It's not a bad book. There's plenty of tension and action and *big* *fear*.

But?

Yeah, well, um... I'm read it before. A lot.

But it's YA! It's meant for new readers who've never been blown away by classics like Darwin's Radio or The Children of Men or any of two out of three dystopian YA novels on the market.

Add cute girl and two cute boys, give her ta
Ariana
Oh, wait while I find my mouth under my bed where it dropped.

..So, are you ready for this wonderful journey into the future?
Here we go…

It all came down to a war - the worst of them all.
It was not between humans, but between them and the Partials.
Because what if robots didn’t look like robots anymore?
What if they looked exactly like humans? What if they were genetically programmed and made into the best weapon alive, a dangerously thinking one? Breathing flesh-and-blood robots meant to kill - st
Nickie
Sep 13, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like this review should begin like one of the old AlkaSeltzer commercials.

"I can't believe I read the whole thing."

I try to be balanced on my reviews, but this book made it very difficult. There were a million little things that got under my skin, and it added up to a book that didn't make sense and was ultimately unlikable.

What I liked about this book:
The genre? I guess? Although, reading this had made me rethink that decision.

What I didn't like about this book:
Hoo boy, where do I start?
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Before you read my review…

I originally rated this book 4 out of 5 stars but after I wrote my review, I lowered it to 2.5 out of 5 stars (rounded up to 3 stars). My reasons… I rated the book immediately after reading it and I was clearly caught up in the last 25% of the book. When I wrote my review, I realized that the majority of my review was negative and I had plenty of issues with the story. Thus, I changed my rating.

The Bad

I didn’t feel a real connection with the characters. The real story
Glass
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Thank you, NetGallery! I should have read this book sooner.
No stupid love triangles, strong girl as the main character - no crying, thinking over and over about the boy and why did he do that or this, believable scientific background of the story and so on...
So, if you like sci-fi, end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it type of the stories, grab your copy of this book and read it as soon as possible.
Nafiza
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The YA genre is certainly rife with dystopians. You can't go out without tripping over one. Okay fine, that is an exaggeration but I can't help but get weary of the same plots with a few subtle differences (you know, differences like the cause of the ultimate breakdown of modern society). There's usually a girl. She usually has powers. There's also usually a society with tyrannical rulers/dictators/whatever you wanna call them (a rose by any other name and all...). Then there is a boy. Mysteriou ...more
Kassidy
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
This book is so much fun!!
The plot is crazy and there is so much action.
I am a Biochemistry major and I love science, and this book had a ton of science in it. There is a virus called RM that inhibits babies from living past a couple of hours, so a large portion of the book is dedicated to finding a cure for this. It goes pretty in depth with the research and specifics of the virus and I just think that's so cool :)

I did like the main character Kira, although she was annoying at points because
Tatiana
This book isn't holding my attention. At all. Too much boring detail, too many boring characters, the writing style is too bland. This is simply not my thing.
Isamlq
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-galley, aaw-yeah
Holy...Awesome!

It’s been a loooong while since I’ve felt this excited about a post apoc/ dystopia YA. I thought I’d burned out on them after reading Starters and Eve and heck even Shatter Me; the lack of detail in the first two and the over indulgent writing in the other simply put me off. So I really am not kidding when I say it’s been a long time since I’ve felt this excited about a book of this type.

It's a little like Grant’s Feed (or Deadline) because this too does not limit itself to hea
Katerina Kondrenko
7 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

Short-Soundtrack:
Hannah Georgas – Enemies (Mathbonus Remix)
Royksopp ft. Robyn – The Girl And The Robot
Lunatica – Who You Are

Genre: post-apocalypses dystopia, YA
Stuff: bio-humans, deadly virus
Fail: slow pacing at the start
WOW: action
POV: 3rd person, female
Love-Geometry: light

Quote-Core:
Jacquelyn Sylvan
How do I love thee, Partials? Let me count the ways….

1)Thy witty, spicy dialogue. If you’re a fan of Firefly/Serenity or Buffy the Vampire Slayer’s (the show, not the movie) whip-sharp banter, you’re going to love this book. It’s got the same kind of effortless, rapid-fire discourse Joss Whedon injects in his cult-classic shows. A lot of authors shoot for this and fail miserably; Wells doesn’t just succeed, he excels at dialogue. I could seriously have read and enjoyed this book purely for the b
Charlotte
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sci-fi fans, post apocalyptic fans
Recommended to Charlotte by: Wendy Darling
Oh! My! Gosh! That was Amazing!!!

If you like sci-fi, post-apocalyptic, dystopian, amazing characters, action packed plot, twists that have twists, a little romance in-between things blowing up and gunshots, and just all around smart writing, put this on your to-read list! NOW!

Wow, this is going to be hard to do spoiler free. Here goes....

First let me say that the beginning of the book might be a little slow for some people. It's not one of those kind where the author takes forever to set up the
Debbie I Heart YA Books
I’m sitting here, trying to figure out how to write a review for this amazing novel. The awesome author, Dan Wells, has totally blown me away. Partials is an incredibly amazing world and storyline with fantastic characters. I can't even pick which is my favorite. Dan Wells gave all of them terrific personalities: Kira is head-strong, Marcus is the fun guy, Jayden is a take charge guy, Xochi is the bad-ass chick, Madison is the caring mom figure, Haru is the jerk, Isolde is a analyst and Samm is ...more
Juli
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
¿Vieron cuando un libro te atrapa?
Bueno esto es lo que sucede con este libro.
Sin lugar a dudas es una historia FASCINANTE. Una vez que empezas a leer no podes frenar. Reí, llore, ame y odie.
Este libro agarró mi corazón y lo partió en dos, después lo piso, lo reventó, lo molio a palos, los destrozó en mil pedacitos y asi y todo lo ame.
La historia es desgarradora, completa, bella, con un millón de giros que te mantienen al filo.
La protagonista tiene carácter y hace lo que cree mejor para mejorar
Denisse
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-ya-books
4.5

OH MY JESUS CHRIST! I'M SO FANGIRLING ABOUT THIS BOOK.

Reading Partials is like James Dashner or Scott Westerfeld were teaching you immunology and virology and then taking you to this fantastic travel across a destroyed world!

This is the type of book any SCI-FI FAN would like. It has an interesting world-building, with a great backstory, amazing well developed characters, and more.

Also a lot of science and political stuff, not the classic "horrible-abusing government" but the one that could e
Darren Hagan
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**4.5 stars**
**No spoilers**

This book was a really nice surprise. I think I must not have read the synopsis clearly when I bought it because I thought it was a book where aliens had taken over the world and there were only one community of humans left. But yeah, not at all. In a way I think that helped me to like it so much, because I was surprised whilst reading it. Maybe I should try and do that more often...

Anyway, I thought the plot was really interesting as I've not read anything about gene
Eric Allen
Mar 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Partials
By Dan Wells

A Review by Eric Allen

I have been totally blown away by every single book that Dan Wells has written. I don't know where he came from all of a sudden, but in the last 4 years he's written 5 extremely good books. And as writers should, he gets better with every book that he publishes, expanding his ideas, fixing things that didn't work, and improving upon his skills as a storyteller. If you have not read I Am Not A Serial Killer yet, go buy it or check it out of the library N
Rose
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA sci-fi/dystopic fans, fans of medical thrillers
Recommended to Rose by: Writing Excuses
"Partials" had many elements that I absolutely loved - for the genre, for the audience, for the issues it raises and the questions that it poses for the characters within the world Dan Wells creates. Granted, some of the characters had their insufferable qualities just as realistic characters probably would when faced with the odds depicted in this novel, but man, what a ride. Each and every time I picked up this book, I did not want to put it down, and I can only think of that as a good sign.

I
Ava Oceana
Oh, man. This book made me feel like humanity was my nasty ex, and I had just dumped his ass before snapping my fingers in Z-formation.

By that, I mean most of the humans in this book pissed me off - though they were supposed to.

PARTIALS takes place in a futuristic world where humanity is quickly going extinct after a virus released during the Partial-Human war kills off babies less than a week after birth. Kira Walker, sixteen, is a medic-in-training. When someone important to her becomes pregn
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
An ARC was provided by Harpercollins Canada for review! Thank you!

Humans created the Partials long ago by ParaGen. They created the ultimate super being. Stronger, faster, smarter to help aid in modern warfare for the enemy hostiles. Then the Partials created the RM virus, wiping away almost the entire human population with a few being immune to the virus.

We find Kira, a 16 year old medical intern, who works and lives in East Meadow. She assists in the pregnancy ward of the hospital. Her best fr
Aly (Fantasy4eva)
Dude. How cool is this book!

Fighting, saving the wold, kick-ass protagonist and mates that completely have your back, grenades, going on dangerous and not- so- sophisticated adventures, loyal and brave. Oh and very likable.

Kira! A protagonist that I liked a lot. It really is a great feeling to find yourself genuinely liking the protagonist. We so need more of those.

Our gal is brave, a heart-breaker (tut tut), tough, loyal and caring. Being a medic is in her blood. I say this because even when th
HannahCassie (PSIloveThatBook)
MORE? MORE! @ P.S. I love that book!

So Laura told me about this book like three years ago. Since then I have had it on my kindle as an ebook but for some absolutely unexplainable reason I never picked it up till now. I expected it also for some reason to be about a whiny girl in some advanced technology world. Do not ask me why. I do not know. So I think it rather clear that I went into this book with very low expectation, even so yes, Laura has told me it is amazing and normally I believe her.
Andrea
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Andrea by: Fans of post-apocalyptic books
Shelves: arc, read-in-2012
Wow. Wow,wow,wow! After falling in love with the post-apocalyptic world in Under the Never Sky, I didn't think I would find another novel to compete with it for quite some time, let alone this soon. But in Partials, that is exactly what I found, and I couldn't be more excited.

If you take a good look at the cover, the story is laid before you. The world as we know it is a wasteland, bleak and empty, with the buildings and homes humans once occupied nothing but an empty shell. The story is set in
Feminism & POC!?!? 6 17 Apr 23, 2017 05:51AM
Future Teachers, ...: Review 7 1 2 Nov 18, 2016 06:36PM
Future Teachers, ...: Griselda Rivera Book Review #5 1 3 Nov 04, 2016 07:01PM
Movie 11 220 Apr 24, 2016 11:56AM
Kira walker question? 47 436 Dec 17, 2015 07:02AM
  • Ashfall (Ashfall, #1)
  • Beta (Annex, #1)
  • Dark Inside (Dark Inside, #1)
  • Article 5 (Article 5, #1)
  • Breathe (Breathe, #1)
  • Struck (Struck, #1)
  • Tankborn (Tankborn, #1)
  • The Forsaken (The Forsaken, #1)
  • For Darkness Shows the Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1)
  • Glitch (Glitch, #1)
  • The Way We Fall (Fallen World, #1)
  • Erasing Time (Erasing Time, #1)
  • Rootless (Rootless, #1)
  • Skylark (Skylark, #1)
  • The Hunt (The Hunt, #1)
  • Unraveling (Unraveling, #1)
  • The Bane (The Eden Trilogy, #1)
  • The Lost Code (The Atlanteans, #1)
Dan Wells is a thriller and science fiction writer. Born in Utah, he spent his early years reading and writing. He is he author of the Partials series (Partials, Isolation, Fragments, and Ruins), the John Cleaver series (I Am Not a Serial Killer, Mr. Monster, and I Don't Want To Kill You), and a few others (The Hollow City, A Night of Blacker Darkness, etc). He was a Campbell nomine for best new w ...more
More about Dan Wells...

Partials Sequence (3 books)
  • Fragments (Partials Sequence, #2)
  • Ruins (Partials Sequence, #3)
“Happiness is the most natural thing in the world when you have it, and the slowest, strangest, most impossible thing when you don't. It's like learning a foreign language: You can think about the words all you want, but you'll never be able to speak it until you suck up your courage and say them out loud.” 242 likes
“I am stronger than my trials.” 147 likes