Start by marking “Dead Tease (A Loon Lake Mystery, #12)” as Want to Read:
Dead Tease (A Loon Lake Mystery, #12)

Dead Tease

(A Loon Lake Mystery #12)

A hot August afternoon and Midwest Clinic CEO John McNeil has been working late. Working on his latest conquest, that is. Jen Williams is twenty-six, in charge of graphics for the hospital's PR division—and quite attractive in a healthy, athletic kind of way. She is quick to laugh and a little too quick to fall for guys. She is no virgin. And she is one of three women—incl ...more
Published March 17th 2012 by Gallery Books (first published February 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Tease, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Tease

Start your review of Dead Tease (A Loon Lake Mystery, #12)
Renee
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
A quick listen at 5 hrs 30 min. The identity of the murderer totally surprised me. Overall an enjoyable visit with Doc, Ray & Lew. One of my favorite narrators, Jennifer Van Dyck, performs this series. (Mild language, no gratuitous descriptions.)

Kindle Unlimited, read & listen
Eileen Lynx
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another good story
Rosemarie
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
For a charming little resort town, Wisconsin’s Loon Lake certainly has more than its share of violent crime. Police chief Lew Ferris and her significant other, retired forensic dentist Doc Osborne, find themselves trying to solve the apparently motiveless murder of a young woman even as her boss’s wife is being terrified by a prowling vandal around their house at night. While I thought I had spotted the killer early on, there were a number of twists that kept the story moving.

This is the 12th m
IslandRiverScribe
Victoria Houston, since the beginning of her second novel in this series, has been known to play fast and loose with the laws of physics, re-invent the details of her main characters’ backstories and completely warp the time-space continuum. But she has always crafted a fine, realistic, logical, cozy mystery with well-formed main characters in Doc Osborne, Lew Ferris and Ray Pradt.

However, in this 12th entry in the Loon Lake series, she failed miserably in both the construct of the mystery and w
Pat
Nov 08, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I probably got this for free, but it's apparently not a good book to start the series with: too much backstory and complex relationships that don't read well for someone new to the series. Except I don't plan to read any other books in the series. Too many characters to keep straight. I don't mind pov switching, but it's confusing here. And too much telling-not-showing, since Houston tries to fill in readers with everything that's happened so far.

Probably works better if you've been reading all
Kenneth Funk
Ok, here we go with continuity issues again. A few books back, we read that Doc's wife apparently told daughter Mallory she was making a mistake in marrying her husband and did so on the night before Mallory's wedding. In this book, it was Doc who apparently told Mallory that she was making a mistake, and his wife liked Mallory's husband to be.

How many years apart were these books written, and does the author not keep track of what she has previously written?
Judee
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Different Angle

I’ve been reading this series from the beginning. Just when I thought they were getting formulaic the author begins this one from the view of the killer. While there was a slight doubt along the way between two women as the killers, in the end the whole book was about how the murder would be solved. It was a nice change.
Julie
Jen Williams is killed. She had been having an affair with Dr. John McNeil. McNeil's wife, the lead suspect, also is being stalked. Can Doc Osborne and Chief Ferris figure out who is behind it before more people die?

Love this series. Combines police work in small town with fly fishing. Like the characters.
Baglady
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: wplc-holdings
not labeled as part of a series, would benefit from backstory, but a quick mystery read set in the Northwoods using colloquialisms this near-northwoods person has never heard. "who done it" is not foreshadowed too much, so the reveal is rather fun, but all the rest of the time the characters didn't grab me as interesting
Deanna S. Burger
Excellent job of writing this mystery. All of her books are excellent. I have read this one twice.

I have met Victoria and love her books. We both have grown up here and her stories bring the Northwood to life.

Elyn
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Why do the "good" books go so fast??? Another great read by Victoria Houston. Just what I needed.
Annie
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A most excellent 5 star read! I do so enjoy Doc, Lew & Ray...:) ...more
Teri Pre
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
Houston is back in the groove thank goodness!
Broadwayal
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Genuine relatable characters and captures the flavor and essence of Northern Wisconsin.
Victoria Huston always gives us a fun and exciting read.
Michelle
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Unfortunately this book was not as good as some of the others. I like it when it is specific at the end of a book on how did what. This left me kind of hanging and wondering.
aprilla
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it
... will continue...
Kristy Walker
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I just grabbed this randomly and didn't expect to like it so much. Quick enjoyable read.
Kari Anderson
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
From Goodreads.com:

A hot August afternoon and Midwest Clinic CEO John McNeil has been working late. Working on his latest conquest, that is. Jen Williams is twenty-six, in charge of graphics for the hospital’s PR division–and quite attractive in a healthy, athletic kind of way. She is quick to laugh and a little too quick to fall for guys. She is no virgin. And she is one of three women–including his wife–intimately familiar with McNeil.

When Jen’s youthful body is found with a single stab wound
A
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
I think that it is time for Doc and Lew to hang up the lures!

I have enjoyed the Loon Lake mysteries over the years even though a small town in northern Wisconsin with the murder rate of Loon Lake would be abandoned in the real world. With the most recent "mystery" set in Loon Lake requiring the talents of not only the police chief, but also a retired dentist, who has an understanding of forensic dentistry the unrealistic has reached its limit.

This story was PREDICTABLE, except for the very end,
Sharon
Apr 25, 2012 rated it liked it
"Dead Tease" starts off with the murder of an attractive young woman, committed by a man she's never met. Loon Lake Police Chief Lew Ferris and her boyfriend Paul Osborne (a forensic odontologist who used to be the town dentist) begin investigating. Why an odontologist is required when the victim is readily identified is beyond me ... and that is the place that the story first goes south for me.

The "whodunnit" became ridiculously clear during the first third of the book. Now, in fairness, I read
Debra
Mar 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Victoria Houston's series involves Wisconsin, fish, murder, and fly-fishing. Strictly speaking you do not need to care a bit about fly fishing - the sport is there, aficionados will be teased by the champion muskies and handtied flies but those who prefer their fish cleaned and cooked can still enjoy it. Especially in the company of Ray Pradt....

Several women are intimately acquainted with the handsome clinic director, but only one of them ends up murdered. And off we go.

I really love the way Ms
N. Kuhn
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Wow, I'm glad I didn't pay $11.99 for this book! That's insane! The book was sooooo not worth it! WOW! The plot was thin and transparent. I completely had this figured out within the first 40% of the book. So, what's the other 60%? Nothing! Every time you begin to get into the plot, it goes off on a tangent. Memories or scenes that have nothing to do with the story line. I really had to force myself to finish this book. Then the end just conveniently wraps itself up nice and neat. This book was ...more
Rosemary Cantrell
This book is one in a very long series about Loon Lake. It was not really bad, but it seemed more like an episode in a TV series that a good book. It was short. The characters were not well developed - I suppose because it is expected that the reader has been involved from the beginning and knows them all. The plot was fairly simple. I like murder mysteries, but this just never got all that interesting.

I really disliked the ending. Everything was suddenly over and tied up with a neat little bow.
Marjie
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and well written

The story had interesting characters and good interactions between them. The book was spellchecked and edited well. I haven't read any other books from this series but was still able to fully enjoy the read, no cliffhangers. Descriptions of the area were imaginable for someone not from that area. There were some descriptive words for people that apparently locals use, I was not able to define until used in context several times.
Jenny T.
Oct 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is a modern mystery set in Loon Lake, WI, in which police chief, Lewellyn (Lew) Ferris, teams up with retired forensic dentist, Paul Osborne to solve the murder of Jen Williams, a young lady who works at the local clinic. Besides the usual mystery, the reader also learns more about living in a small town in which there are lots of connections between all of the characters. The plot was plodding, but fortunately not too gory.
Kathy
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mystery readers who enjoy regional writers
I though this mystery series was dead after the last installment, but this one "kicked" the tension up, and I enjoyed it as much as the earlier ones. It is a simple regional setting, Loon Lake, "up north" Wisconsin, with a fairly predictable plot because none of the main characters is going to die. However, Houston varied her formula in this one, encouraging me to read it in one evening.
Adrienne Campbell
Okay for a free quick read. Not much depth to the characters and I doubt I'll be reading more of this author's work. There just wasn't much substance to the book and some of the characters served no purpose at all but to fill space or offer up some tiny part that needed to be filled.

If you are one who likes a fast, easily solved murder mystery....go for it!
J. Ewbank
I enjoyed this book by Houston. She has an abundance of books but this is the first one that I have read and it was well worthwhile.It too, is a mystery that has to be worked through a lot of twists and turns to find the solution but it is an enjoyable trip. A good read.

J. Robert Ewbank author "Wesley's Wars" and "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms"
Jean
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Quick, easy read that had mystery and romance in it. Retired dentist, Paul Osborne, and Loon Lake County Sheriff, Lew Ferris, team together to find the murderer of a young woman working at a local hospital. There are some twists and turns in their quest to solve the mystery. Enjoyed the story to the end and made for a quick read.
Aug 04, 2012 rated it liked it
An easy and fun who-done-it. It seemed to go a bit fast when it got near the end, like the author got tired of writing and wanted to finish it up, I was hoping for a little more suspense and an ah-ha moment but it really didn't have that. It was an enjoyable read though. I liked the characters and the story.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Invitation Only Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #26)
  • No Time Left
  • Stigma
  • Cutting Edge
  • Night of the Assassin (Assassin, #0.5)
  • Death Stalks Door County (Dave Cubiak, #1)
  • Murder on the Mind (Jeff Resnick Mystery, #1)
  • In Plain Sight (Kate Burkholder, #10.5)
  • Hunting Hour (Timber Creek K-9 Mystery, #3)
  • Death of a Gigolo (A Jaine Austen Mystery)
  • Someone's Watching
  • Sins of the Fathers (J.P. Beaumont #24)
  • Devil's Claw (Joanna Brady, #8)
  • Ancient Blood (Navajo Nation Mystery #3)
  • Notorious (Max Revere, #1)
  • A Cold Day For Murder (Kate Shugak, #1)
  • The Odds: A Love Story
  • The Pawful Truth (Cat in the Stacks #11)
She is the author of the Loon Lake Mystery Series -- DEAD ANGLER, DEAD CREEK, DEAD WATER, DEAD FRENZY, DEAD HOT MAMA, DEAD JITTERBUG, DEAD BOOGIE, DEAD MADONNA, DEAD HOT SHOT, DEAD RENEGADE. DEAD DECEIVER, DEAD TEASE and DEAD INSIDER, DEAD LIL’ HUSTLER, DEAD RAPUNZEL, DEAD LOUDMOUTH, DEAD SPIDER, DEAD FIREFLY the 18th in the series, will be published in JUNE 2018 in hardcover, trade paperback and ...more

A Loon Lake Mystery (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Dead Angler (A Loon Lake Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Creek (A Loon Lake Mystery #2)
  • Dead Water (A Loon Lake Mystery, #3)
  • Dead Frenzy (A Loon Lake Mystery, #4)
  • Dead Hot Mama (A Loon Lake Mystery,#5)
  • Dead Jitterbug (A Loon Lake Mystery, #6)
  • Dead Boogie (A Loon Lake Mystery, #7)
  • Dead Madonna (A Loon Lake Mystery, #8)
  • Dead Hot Shot (A Loon Lake Mystery, #9)
  • Dead Renegade (A Loon Lake Mystery, #10)

News & Interviews