Start by marking “The Child” as Want to Read:
The Child

Jan Hahn

The Child

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  259 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
This story is no longer available via Mrs. Darcy's Story Site.
Online
Published by Jan H (via Mrs. Darcy's Story Site - http://www.mrsdarcy.com/)

To ask other readers questions about The Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Child

Nissa | Of Pens and Pages Book Blog
4 stars!

Review and Giveaway at Of Pens and Pages.

I haven't read a lot of Pride and Prejudice variations told purely in Mr. Darcy's perspective, so this was a nice surprise. It was nice to get inside Mr. Darcy's head as he overcomes pride and a different kind of prejudice, and navigate a marriage with someone reluctant to be his wife. You can hear his longing, pain, and thoughts throughout the story, and it felt true to his character.

Fueled by his heartbreak, Mr. Darcy flees the country after his
Vaarin
I absolutely loved it!

My heart slammed against my chest within the first pages. Deliciously emotional and nailbitingly thrilling story. The nerve and ambiance kept me spellbound from the first to the last page.
This is one of those rare book gems that will stay with me and be reread countless of times.

Written in Darcy's POV.

A chance encounter on the streets of London, resets Darcy two years. After fleeing the country to forget the love of his life, it takes seconds to lodge her back into his hea
Sheila Majczan
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story is so good and then new in its creating a variation I have not read of before that while I was reading it I was telling myself that I must be very careful in what I write of in my review as I so want others to have the pleasure of discovering each nuance for themselves.

Yes, as other reviews plus the story description tell us Darcy has traveled on the continent after he was rejected at Hunsford. Thus you know he never saw Elizabeth with the Gardiners at Pemberley nor did he learn of Ly
wosedwew
Shelves: 2018, book-reviews
Mother is a verb, not a noun. ~ Proverb

Questions are raised in this lovely story:
What makes a Mother?
What makes a Father?

Elizabeth Bennet has become a Mother – not by misbehavior but by necessity. A child has arrived in the Bennet household and that child requires a Mother.

There is an instinct in a woman to love most her own child — and an instinct to make any child who needs her love, her own. ~ Robert Brault

Our dear couple has considerable exercise as they jump to conclusions: she sees him out
Debbie Brown
This is the first Jan Hahn book I've read told in first person by Mr. Darcy. (Elizabeth-- yes. Mr. Darcy-- no.) The reader is free to imagine what Elizabeth might be thinking or feeling, but we are only given hints from Darcy's POV.

The story commences two years after the Hunsford proposal, and Darcy and Elizabeth have not seen each other since that fateful day. Darcy and Bingley have been traveling out of the country (no stop at Pemberley) and just recently returned.

Circumstances have changed
Anna Fitzwilliam
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darcy is the best thing in this book. Considering that it's a Regency story, Elizabeth often acts ungratefully and unreasonably.
Leslie
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'The road to hell is paved with good intentions'

This is a very different P&P What if that is sort of a coerced marriage scenario

Here we begin 2 + years after the disastrous proposal at Hunsford (dp@H) Darcy fled to the Mediterranean to escape his unrequited love for Elizabeth. Now he is returned and spies Elizabeth on a London Street with a small child. This seemingly innocuous scene will lead to misconceptions on the parts of both Darcy and Lizzy.

This story, told from Darcy's perspective,
ana darcy
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jaff
reviewed on https://myvicesandweaknesses.wordpres...
Maybe one of the most difficult JAFF books that I have read and I want to review without giving spoilers. I will try: the book is really good and there is a lot of misunderstanding between Darcy and Elizabeth. Full stop.

No, I am not crazy, this book is almost impossible to review without spoilers so I will just make one… you have been warned, do not look below…

there is a HEA.

Am I crazy again? Nope, but you may think so. Let me exp
Christina
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Accomplished author Jan Hahn’s latest Austenesque novel, "The Child", beseeches “can love overcome all, even the prejudice against a child born to an archenemy?” She writes just the kind of tale that lures me in, consumes me. In Hahn’s stirring re-imagining of Jane Austen’s "Pride & Prejudice", two years after Miss Elizabeth Bennet baldly refused his hand in marriage, Mr. Darcy beholds her from across a London street...with a young child in tow. A child! Whose child? But before he can approa ...more
Jenny
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read, jaff, jaff-2018
This story starts two years after Huntsford. Since then there has been no contact between Darcy and Elizabeth. Darcy sees Elizabeth on the street with a child and presumes it's hers. She sees him on his way into a church whilst being told the bride is waiting, and presumes he is getting married. These misunderstands get cleared up relatively easily, but as you would expect, there is plenty of drama to come....

Darcy makes a complete misjudgement about how to deal with the child in trying to save
Mary Ann
Bymaryannon March 17, 2018
Verified Purchase
This novel is about how a small child can turn a grown up person's heart to mush! It is a well written and touching story about lost love and what a man will do to get that love returned from the woman who turned him down the first time. Darcy and Elizabeth have always had a hard time understanding each other and always mistaking what the other is saying. This novel proves that many times. It is a hard wrenching tale about love,
hatred for someone who ha
Carole (in Canada)
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Austenesque Readers, Romance
Shelves: variations, favorites

It's been two long years since Mr. Darcy left England with Mr. Bingley to try and expunge Elizabeth Bennet from his mind.

"...and now it took one glimpse of her light figure and lovely face to render me as undone as ever." (quote from the book)

Darcy believes he has taken Elizabeth's reproofs to heart. As this story is told only from Mr. Darcy's point of view, we get to understand his thinking. When he sees Elizabeth for the first time, she has a very young child with her. As he learns the gossip
Katherine
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Quick (just over 100 pgs) good read for this P&P variation. This book goes down the path of the WHAT IF Darcy left the country and travelled with Bingley for 2 years after his disatrous proposal in Kent?? For one, he wouldn't have bumped into Elizabeth at Pemberley when she's travelling with her aunt and uncle and thus he is not there to save Lydia from running away with Wickman. You first see Darcy and Elizabeth in London. Darcy notices her with a child entering a carriage when he is remind ...more
Charlene
Sep 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
After reading Jan Hahn's 1st published book, I went and found an additional book on the Meryton Assembly site. This book is written from Darcy's perspective and Elizabeth and Darcy don't meet until 2 years later. A lot of things happen, for one He's not there to save the Bennet family from Lydia's indescretion. So the story starts out with angst on Darcy's part and him trying to overcome his prejudice and find his happy ending. I like this story but was a little weary in parts but it was still w ...more
Christine Baglow
Exceptional

Very creative and well written. I loved the first person account by Darcy. I could not put it down. Splendid.
Talia
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I agree with the other reviews I have read of this book. Lots of beginning angst, Lady C is so wonderful (love her), and tugs at the heart.
Madenna U
In this Pride & Prejudice variation, Elizabeth did not see Darcy at Pemberly during her holiday with her aunt and uncle. In response to her rejection, he and Bingley took a tour of the continent. He happens upon Elizabeth in London with a small child who appears to be hers. This is reinforced when he learns that one of the Bennet sisters ran away with Wickham and the child is the result.

The plot of the story forces Darcy to see that his solutions might not always be the best. He also needs t
Lynn
A Wonderful Read

This story is a lovely read. The characters are true to the original, but the story is quite different. The author's manner of writing tells the tale in such a way that you do not want to stop reading. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and look forward to rereading it many times.
Anngela Schroeder-author
You Did It Again!

You did it again, Jan Hahn! You write these amazing stories that keep me up until 3am reading! You write scenes which are truly magnificent, and make me fall in love with Darcy again and again! You write scenes which make me so frustrated with him I actually face palmed myself more than once!
I love that it is from Darcy's pov. In no way does it take away from the story, but instead enhances it, as we know his personal anguish before anyone else. I cannot wait to see what you ar
Tammy Buchli
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fairly standard Austenation, but enjoyable. This was from Darcy’s perspective, which is fun for a change; and features a marriage of convenience, which I always like for some reason.
Barbara Klaser
This is a Pride and Prejudice variation (alternate/fan fiction) exploring what might have happened if Darcy and Lizzy hadn't met up at Pemberly when she was traveling with her Uncle and Aunt Gardiner. Suppose Darcy was so upset by her refusal that he felt a need to leave the country for a while, and traveled, so he wasn't around to save Lydia from ruin by arranging her marriage to Wickham?

Two years after his proposal to Elizabeth at Hunsford, Darcy is on his way to a wedding, in London, and we'r
James Strickland
Well written, overflowing with angst

Wonderful story, very well written. Not a lot of happy moments in the book but finally, way toward the end, the HEA is delivered...and yet...

The few pages before the HEA occur ring false. The entire book is from Darcy’s point of view so we witness every mistaken decision he makes...and he makes MANY. We truly never know what Lizzy is thinking because from Darcy’s POV he never knows what she is thinking. So it seems to us that she never has been thinking well o
Janice M. Payton
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

I do loved this book, but I feel the same about all Hahn's books. His ideas are always fresh and new. He uses the correct words for the 1800's. All of the usual characters were true to P&P. I really like the way everything is tied up in the end. I hate a book that hits a wall! Good read!
Rendi Hahn
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this latest Pride and Prejudice Alternate Path novel from Jan Hahn very much!! This is the first such book I've read that was written from Mr. Darcy's point of view - an interesting twist that helps the reader understand his inner life and dialogue, his struggle to change to be worthy of Elizabeth. Lots of good intrigue and angst to get worked out along the way. A quick and fun read!
Joan
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Avid Reader

Early on Elizabeth and Darcy have misunderstanding because she thinks he just got married, and he thinks that the child belongs to Elizabeth. Both are wrong. Bingley and Darcy help bring respectability back to the Bennett family after Bingley invited them to a ball and Darcy married Elizabeth. Wickham is the father, and he brings unexpected angst thanks to Darcy.
Buturot
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

No boring moment. Only wished Lizzy,' s thoughts were added also but I know the author wanted onlyfirsterson perspective. Great story, I think a lot of P & P fans will love too
Karen
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Satisfying

Darcy still maintained his major characteristics and principles, save for his abhorrence for deceit. I’d say his road to redemption began and ended with the child, Fan. She brought out the worst and best in him.
Michelle
Pretty good

Very interesting concept; however, Elizabeth was quite a shrew! She had a lot if implacable resentment, which was had to adequately address, since the book was written from Mr. Daddy's point of view.
Julia Baldus
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read!

Beautifully written with a good pace. This book is like those movies you watch when you know what's going to happen but you can't tear your eyes away from the screen, then the lead does something stupid and you literally facepalm, thinking "oh no!"
Will this book be published? 6 19 Apr 24, 2014 12:43PM