Start by marking “Country Churchyards” as Want to Read:
Country Churchyards

Country Churchyards

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  50 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
A great writer's poignant photographs of Mississippi graveyards and memorial stones For many years Eudora Welty wished to produce a book about country churchyards. Published at long last, in her ninety-first year, this book includes ninety of her photographs along with a conversation in which Welty shares her impressions and her memories of the 1930s and 1940s when she ram ...more
Published April 25th 2000 by University Press of Mississippi (first published April 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Country Churchyards, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Country Churchyards

Sue
When I put in a library request for One Writer's Beginnings, I happened upon this book too and put in a second request at the same time. I've wanted to have a look at Welty's photos and thoughts at some point and it was definitely a good experience.

This book was a labor of love, created near the end of Welty's life from photographs she took during the 1930s and 40s in Mississippi churchyards. She very obviously was captured by the various gravestone motifs, many reflecting 19th century values an
Anne
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-photography
I have enjoyed visiting old cemeteries and recording old grave markers with my camera, so I really enjoyed this compilation of photographs that Welty took in the thirties and forties. The book begins with a some of the author's thoughts during her ninetieth year, and the photographs are often accompanied with a passage from her writing.
Loren
Apr 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
What a charming little book this is! It contains 90 black-and-white photographs, snapped by the grand dame of Southern literature in Mississippi churchyards during in the 1930s and 40s. “Mississippi,” she said, “had no art except cemeteries.”

Miss Welty merely trained her lens on whatever interested her. Angels appear more often than any other figure. One unusual stone that I particularly like is coffin-shaped, sheltering a moon-faced girl with staring eyes. She bears the outline of her life writ
Lou Alice
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book, like Miss Welty's short stories, can be perused over and over again, and something new will appear to the observer every time. The pictures demand to be studied in order to fully appreciate them. Thought provoking, somewhat nostalgic, often humorous, quite interesting how people remember and memorialize the dead.
Loyal
Jun 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Touching photographs taken in graveyards. Many, especially those of infants, bring forth feelings of sadness and grief. It is amazing how the photographer was able to take these stationary images, which are all so touching and heartfelt.
Emily
Mar 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
I love Eudora Welty. Well, at least her photography. I'll get around to reading more of her books soon. This is quite a fascinating body of work considering how cliche cemetery photography can be.
Lesley Looper
Jun 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I'm a sucker for old churches, graveyards, and black and white photography, so I loved this book!
Mandy Huot
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Awesome photos! my only complaint would be I wish she would've labeled the name of each cemetery underneath the photo, or organized them by cemetery. makes me want to road trip to Mississippi now!
Dana
Feb 16, 2008
Emilie Farrell
Jun 26, 2013
Jim
Feb 24, 2016
Lora
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Such beautiful and heartfelt photographs
Deanna
Erin
Nov 20, 2009
Ethan Brooks-Livingston
Mar 12, 2016
Eudora Alice Welty was an award-winning American author who wrote short stories and novels about the American South. Her book The Optimist's Daughter won the Pulitzer Prize in 1973 and she was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, among numerous awards. She was the first living author to have her works published by the Library of America.

Welty was born in Jackson, Mississippi, and lived a sig
More about Eudora Welty...