Start by marking “Train Wreck: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Train Wreck: A Novel

Train Wreck: A Novel

3.07  ·  Rating details ·  44 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
What if I told you there is a secret stock market that assigns a dollar value to the life of every man, woman and child?

Would you believe it? And more importantly, how much do you think you'd be worth?

Nick Buchanan faces that question every day. He works for a nontraditional insurance firm that gambles on the lives of ordinary Americans and cashes in when they die.

After on
Published August 30th 2011

William Blackwell
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
For a first work, I thought this novel was well written, tightly plotted and interesting right through to the end. Through a series of flashbacks, Bennett Gavrish tells the story of the interlocking lives of a group of passengers on a red eye Amtrack train to Washington, DC.

As the story unravels, we learn lead protagonist Nick Buchanan works for an insurance company that raises the stakes significantly. The Firm takes out life insurance policies on people and then arranges to have them killed, c
Ginger Myrick
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As a reader, there is nothing I want more than to be taken away from my current situation, a.k.a. the present. As a writer of love stories set in the past, by the end of a long day writing there is nothing I want more than to escape THAT time period. Ironic, huh? Well, TRAIN WRECK accomplished that feat and brought me slamming back into the present in spectacular fashion.

Gavrish starts off his tale innocuously enough with his clean writing and subtle sense of humor. He is a keen study of human b
Amanda
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Jeremy DeBottis
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nick Buchanan is a likable protagonist that drives this tightly wound plot from Boston to Washington DC. The characters he's forced to interact with run the spectrum of over-the-top to almost forgettable which helps to balance one another out and make them more believable.
The story does a great job of keeping you hooked from character to character as you learn how unsuspecting people can be surprisingly connected with highly entertaining one-liners scattered throughout this enjoyable read.
Beverly
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really liked this first novel. Reminiscent of "And Then There Were None".Very easily read, with enough cultural references to keep it contemporary.Good character development,through flashbacks; good pacing of story. I was able to figure out the connections between the strangers but it did not prepare me for the ending. Job well done.
Diane
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Bennett, you aced it! I loved the story and couldn't turn my Kindle off till I finished it. Good luck in your future endeavors.
Renee
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my gosh.....this book was excellent!!!!! I could not put it down. This is a must read for anyone who likes thrillers. I received this book from Goodreads.
Justice
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
From: http://erinmjustice.com/2013/03/13/bo...

I’d Recommend to: Georgia & Shaun Mason (Mira Grant’s Newsflesh trilogy); Daisy Buchanan & Jay Gatsby (come on, the main character’s name is Nick Buchanan! It’s Nick Carraway + Tom Buchanan! Imagine the discussions!)

My Review:
I started and finished Train Wreck in the same day – a rarity for me lately. Train Wreck is fairly short and captivating. I will admit that the beginning was a little difficult for me to get into – there are a lot of per
Lynne Thomas
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: debut
There is nothing I enjoy more then finding new authors who's work gives me more then I expected. Train Wreck, by Bennett Gavrish, does just that.
Though not truly a debut, as he has published a non fiction book, this is his first novel. I was hooked from page one until the very end. His characters are well developed and the words flow flawlessly. It's hard to describe the book without giving away the story, though as the title suggests, a moral train wreck is happening and we get to enjoy the ra
Samuel Toms
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Same old world - new ways of telling the story. Train Wreck feels like a growing up book for those who've stopped going to the bar every night with their friends after work and are thinking beyond the scope of a one-bedroom apartment. The mixture of humor and futility feels personal and perhaps at times a little single-minded, but deliberately so.

The story is good, it's far fetched in a funny way and the characters are quite easy to get to grips with, as a cross-section from many walks of life a
Donna
Jan 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to begin by stating, this book is not my usual genre. It was told in a flashback form from the viewpoint of multiple people. I agree with other reviewers statement tht this is a great attempt for a first novel. The book was a quick read full of humor. The storyline was quite interesting. A Red Eye train from Boston to Washington DC. Each character on the train tells his/her own story. All characters are somehow connected to main character Nick. I was not too fond of the language used thro ...more
Rob Gouveia
Kind of a modern day Canterbury Tales with a dark side. Liked it well enough to see what else this guy comes up with.
Robert Stadnik
Apr 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
A well-done story with a good premise. It followed human behavior which one would expect. Well done, author.
SherraeWoods
I thins book had a nice tempo not to slow. It also was fascinating and didn't make me bored.
Dawn Mazur
Told in flashbacks with insight to each person. Well written (too much vulgarity for my liking), gripping and a shocking ending.
Brad Heap
While the plot and premise of this book is rather interesting, I was frustrated by the lose ends, and unnecessary side stories. Some editing could have made this book much better.
Nick Stevenson
Lyndy Borden
Jul 26, 2017
Karen Simms Tolson
Apr 20, 2013
  • Bangkok Burn (Bangkok Series #1)
  • Capitol Threat (Ben Kincaid, #15)
  • Hooked (Nat Idle, #1)
  • The Art Of Creative Writing
  • Creating Fiction
  • Every Spy a Prince: The Complete History of Israel's Intelligence Community
  • The Day Trader
  • 78 Reasons Why Your Book May Never Be Published and 14 Reasons Why It Just Might
  • Chance: A Guide to Gambling, Love, the Stock Market, and Just About Everything Else
  • Psychic Warrior: The True Story of America's Foremost Psychic Spy and the Cover-Up of the CIA's Top-Secret Stargate Program
  • The Patriots Club
  • Secret Asset (Liz Carlyle, #2)
  • Philosophy Made Simple
5197909
Bennett Gavrish is a software developer and part-time novelist from New Hampshire. He graduated from Boston University in 2010 with a degree in journalism. Train Wreck is his first novel.
More about Bennett Gavrish...