Start by marking “Ghost Road Blues (Pine Deep, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ghost Road Blues (Pine Deep, #1)

Ghost Road Blues

(Pine Deep #1)

Winner of the Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel

From a new master of horror comes an apocalyptic showdown between the residents of a secluded, rural town and the deadly evil that confronts them wherever they turn . . .

Evil Doesn't Die

The cozy little town of Pine Deep buried the horrors of its past a long time ago. Thirty years have gone by since the darkness descen

Mass Market Paperback, 472 pages
Published June 1st 2006 by Pinnacle

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Road Blues, please sign up.
Andreas Strom Du you mean typos? If so, yes, I did notice quite a lot of them throughout. Someone did a very bad job of proofreading.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Son of a biscuit eater!!! I love Jonathan Mayberry and his Rot & Ruin series but I didn't care for this book 😫 Sighhhhhhhhhh.......

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾

Bark (2 Dumb 2 Read Blurbs)
I am going to be the party pooper again. Many of my friends enjoyed this story but as much as I tried (and, boy, did I ever try) I could not fall into this book.

photo CRAP_zpsbicc5ozv.gif

Part of the problem was the narrator. His voice was gravelly and deep and it suited some of the characters but it grated on me. Sorry but it’s true. It’s a personal thing and I know this. You may love his manly voice but it didn’t do it for me. His female voices were nothing short of atrocious and unnatural and I am not apologizing for
Dirk Grobbelaar
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The last thing Billy said was, “Oh, come on…there’s nothing out there.”
And then two sets of bone-white hands arched over the slat rails on the wagon and seized him by the shoulders and the collar and dragged him screaming into the darkness.

These, the opening lines of Ghost Road Blues, more or less set the tone for the rest of the novel. It’s a bit of a doozy, actually. Maberry juggles a number of different horror conventions here, both supernatural and natural. All of these converge on a single
Lou
Three criminals arrive to Pine Deep, one of them is more sinister than the rest, a wanted Killer! Is that all the evil that lurks in Pine Deep? No!
This is a dark atmospheric supernatural thriller. I can see why Maberry was awarded the Bram Stoker award for this, he's a great writer really immerses you in the blood pulsing thrill, a real page-turner. The story plays out like an episode of Supernatural. I am hooked, line and sinker!
He's developed a really good protagonist and characters like The
Trish
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I should begin by saying that I like horror movies. I'm usually too scared to watch them completely (at least when I'm alone which I usually am) so I hide my face behind a pillow or something, but I like them.
And I always liked October and Halloween and Friday 13ths. This year there even is a Friday 13th in October which makes me especially happy. I can't tell you exactly why. The day isn't any more special, as an atheist I don't really believe in magic (unless we're talking about the magic of
Jason Parent
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Yeah, so this book really pissed me off. Why? Because I loved it, but I hate getting roped into reading a trilogy.

Given the epilogue, there is no question that this book solved absolutely none of the conflicts presented. It is the first part of a trilogy and cannot stand alone as its own book. So I am forced to purchase the others to read to gain even one iota of closure. This is a pet peeve of mine because a book's gotta be damn good for me to invest my time in its sequels.

Fortunately, this on
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Ghost Road Blues was a great book to read during the month of October, as part of my 4th Annual October Scare fest. I love that spooky mood that comes along with the fall, when the days get shorter, the nights longer, and the weather cooler (hopefully).

Although this novel was very good, and well-written, I have to put in in the 'liked fairly well' as opposed to 'loved or really liked' category.

Let's talk about the stuff that didn't quite work for me:
*I think that this story depends a bit too
Bradley
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-shelf, horror
I managed my expectations pretty well for reading this one. I wanted regular horror and got it. It's October, after all, and isn't this the season to enjoy a run of scary?

Or is it simply the desire to see evil as plain as day, to root for the underdogs, to gather up all the misfits and see all the jerks and the ultraviolent assholes of the world get their comeuppance?

Maybe a bit of both.

Fortunately, there's a lot of bigger-than-life characters in this small town and the good guys are good pretty
Al
Jan 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
Ghost Road Blues was a really bad book. It was cheesy, sexist, cliche, boring and didn't even start until it set up a sequel a few chapters from the end. You could read any one sentence and immediately know this book was written by a man, making the author much too visible throughout the story.

The women like to faint and scream, and the men like to either beat the women or be the prince charming protector (Depending on whether they're a good guy or not, and trust me, it's easy to tell--because e
Bill
Jul 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is the first Jonathan Maberry novel I've read, and judging from the ratings of his later novels, he gets better as he goes.
That's a really good thing, because Ghost Road Blues was pretty good.
In fact, through most of this novel, I was very jacked about this guy.

I had been looking over my to-read list in the hopes of finding something to satisfy my October horror cravings. Not only did it deliver, but it was also set around Halloween. Perfect!

For most of this novel, Maberry drives forth with
David
May 31, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: wannabe action hero comic book nerds, people who think Stephen King is too scary
This book was kind of like Diet Stephen King: no calories, half the flavor. Jonathan Maberry apparently scripts comic books too, and that was apparent in the melodramatic prose and the prolonged fight scenes in Ghost Road Blues.

Thirty years ago, the small town of Pine Deep was victimized by a serial killer in what became known as the Black Harvest. A bunch of redneck cops killed the man they believed responsible, an itinerant black guitar-player known only as "the Bone Man," but in fact the Bone
Kasia
May 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: some-of-my-faves
When I first picked this book up I had no clue that I was up for a sweet week or saucy reading full of believable characters, little town secrets and dark nasty things slithering in the dark. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that it also had some maniacs on the loose whose souls were blacker than that of the devil buried in the muddy pit and locals who grew up torturing each other under pretense of being holy. After sixty pages Jonathan Maberry became my new favorite author amongst masters of terror ...more
Kimberley Meier
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I recently came across an author I really like, Jonathan Maberry. The first book I read was Patient Zero (review & giveaway coming soon) and I was hooked. I decided to read his Pine Deep trilogy. The first book, Ghost Road Blues, introduces you to Pine Deep, Pennsylvania, which is known as "The Spookiest Town in America." Pine Deep seems like a quaint , tourist town which thrives on the Halloween season, but it has a dark, evil history.

Jonathan Maberry uses a vibrant cast of characters and a
Lena
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Lena by: Horror Aficionados BOM
Shelves: audio, horror, stoker
So that was a five hundred page beginning to a greater story that I will not be reading because I am NEVER impressed by a three hundred page book wrapped in five hundred pages.

This was 95% domestic/general violence and suspense with 5% supernatural Boo! That five percent is a promise that if you read the next eleven hundred pages there will be more good Boo!

I'm going to pass.

*Update* If you as well were disappointed in this book I would highly recommend Gilchrist: A Novel instead.
My review of
Gianfranco Mancini

Vote: 3,5
(view spoiler)
Lots of things in this first book
11811 (Eleven)
Aug 30, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5. I'm ambivalent about the rest of the trilogy. This was like something Stephen King would have written before stashing it in a drawer so he could write something better. I enjoyed it but the Stoker win surprises me.
Alondra
5 Stars!!

Well, wwell, well... murder in a small town. Kinda cliche' isn't it? I mean everyone writes about it, and it gives a good story. I think Mr. Maberry writing it, makes it a great story. A nice twist on small town murder and mayhem. It is about the darkness. The evil that resides there. The devil down the street that everyone pretends is not there. People willing to live in a cocoon and pretend everything is all right. We will cover it up, ignore it and .... it will go away? No, no; evil
Yodamom
Jul 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
I was instantly addicted from the first chapter when the character called “The Bone Man” kills his demon, using his blues guitar. epic good vs. evil battles;Thirty years earlier the small town of Pine Deep is tortured with murders. When “The Bone Man” is blamed, after killing the murder, he is himself the victim of vigilantly justice. The evil deed will not go unpunished thirty years into the future the horror starts again. It is a visually written dream, that is done perfectly It is not overly ...more
Rebecca McNutt
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Spooky, surreal and somber, Ghost Road Blues is an unforgettable paranormal novel and a really interesting story.
Mike (the Paladin)
I started this book and some of my friends like it. When I was asked early on how I liked it I said it was okay so far but not great. When I said this other readers chimed in and said, "I loved this book, couldn't put down the series".

Well I can...sorry folks. If you like this I'm as always happy you found a book or books you like. For me this hit several of my hot buttons for dislike and finally pushed me completely away.

First this is for the majority of the book more a crime story with superna
Chris Nortje
A homocidal psychopath, a religious lunatic who thinks he's Jesus, and a mechanic who beats up kids. These are the instruments an evil entity uses to turn a little backwater town on its head.

Maberry writes with pace and the chapters are short enough to keep you turning pages. The characters are well developed and the action is suspenseful. The question is whether this first instalment of a three book series does enough to get the reader to read the second book.

Well, I'm not exactly rushing to th
Gatorman
Jun 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, my first by Maberry. It was very well written with terrific charecters and a creepy plot that holds you to the end and makes you want to pick the next one up right away. The main bad guy, Karl Ruger, is very nasty and very funny at the same time. Looking forward to reading more about him in the next books. Highly recommended.
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
First and foremost, a warning.

This book does not have an ending. Not really. I mean, it's not a cliffhanger, per se, but it's not a self contained story, either. This is one of those trilogies which is really just one story broken into three parts. If you read this book, and you want actual closure/cconclusion, you will have to read the entire trilogy.

This pisses me off.

I was, at one point in the book, considering bumping this up to 3 stars, but that was entirely contingent on the ending. It loo
Bill
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-reads
Pine Deep, The Most Haunted Town in America. “We’ll scare you silly.”

30 years ago, an evil presence was killed, but was not properly disposed of and now it’s coming back…with a vengeance. Every day it is gaining strength and gathering souls and soon it will bring its retribution down on the town of Pine Deep.

There is a lot going on in this one - ancient evil, dark family secrets, betrayal, and murder, just to name a few. I had no clue what I was getting into with this one. (Actually thought it w
Victoria
Yowza! What an exciting book! And what an intricate set-up! I am VERY glad that this trilogy is complete now that I am reading it - I don't know that I could have waited. The book was very exciting. The only thing that bothered me was the book's tendency towards redundancy. I suppose that a slower-reader, or someone with a poor memory would not notice, or would maybe even be grateful for the reminders present throughout. That aside, I am VERY interested to see where this trilogy is going!
J.K. Grice
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I read this book during the summer, and maybe I should have waited until Halloween season for the proper effect. I liked it alright, but wasn't impressed enough to want to continue the Pine Deep series.
The Face of Your Father
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
‘Ghost Road Blues’ is the first of a trilogy by Jonathan Maberry. First novels of a trilogy usually read like an extended prologue to an overall story. While this may be true with ‘Ghost Road Blues’, it might just be the greatest “first” novel I’ve read from a trilogy.

Pine Deep is the most haunted town in America. Known for its Haunted Hayrides and Halloween gift shops, it is a town made for October. Yet, every town has a past and buried deep within Pine Deep, there lies a darkness.

Jonathan Mab
Janie Johnson
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jonathan Maberry is one of my favorite writers, but this 1st book to the trilogy seemed to start very slow for me. I loved meeting the characters and learning about the small town of Pine Deep, but it seemed like there was just too much build up. I found it hard to get into the story, but I kept on with it and finally it took off and it became very engaging. I just wished it would have picked up sooner.

The story itself is pretty skittish to start with, and I was not sure what was going on or who
Jason
Apr 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, read-2011
4.5 Stars

This is my second Maberry novel, Patient Zero being the first that I read. I really enjoyed this one, and felt like I was there bearing witness to the horror and the killings.  This is a first rate atmospheric horror.

This is a supernatural thriller that is twisted with a serial killer on the run, a former Police Officer Good Guy, mixed up in a scary backwoods town, and then scored entirely with guitar strumming old time blues music. Put all those things together and then you get the fee
  • The Gentling Box
  • The Bridge
  • The Lost
  • The Resurrectionist
  • Covenant
JONATHAN MABERRY is a New York Times best-selling and five-time Bram Stoker Award-winning author, anthology editor, comic book writer, magazine feature writer, playwright, content creator and writing teacher/lecturer. He was named one of the Today’s Top Ten Horror Writers. His books have been sold to more than two-dozen countries.

He writes in several genres. His young adult fiction includes ROT &a

Pine Deep (3 books)
  • Dead Man's Song (Pine Deep, #2)
  • Bad Moon Rising (Pine Deep, #3)
“Hell's a-coming and we all gotta learn to play the blues. (347)” 6 likes
“When Tony lost it, it would be up to Ruger to take Lady Death by the tits and giver a good tweak. That's how he saw it. Give Lady Death's tits a good tweak.” 4 likes