Start by marking “Tom's Midnight Garden” as Want to Read:
Tom's Midnight Garden

Tom's Midnight Garden

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  17,852 Ratings  ·  532 Reviews
Tom was a cross and resentful boy when he was sent to stay with his uncle and aunt because his brother, Peter, had caught the measles. As soon as he joined his relatives in their small apartment, he knew he would be bored and lonely. He would miss Peter as well as the garden at home where they used to play. Now he had no friends his own age, and, instead of a garden to exp ...more
Published December 1st 1990 by Yearling (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Tom's Midnight Garden, please sign up.

Ella Puls Why was this book created like what was the purpose?

K.D. Absolutely
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: 501 Must Read Books
Shelves: 501, childrens
I was surprised finding myself that I really liked this book. This is my 98th book this year and just my 2nd children's fiction. If this were not one of the children's books in the 501 Must Read Books, I would not have picked this up.

Time Slip is used brilliantly in the plot that you don't know between the two main characters, Tom or Hatty, is the ghost and who is a real human being. To give you an example, in the movie Sixth Sense, you know right away who are the ghosts because the boy charact
Zoë
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 32/100 of 2015
Sarah Sammis
English manor homes seem to inspire a certain kind of time travel story. They are usually dream like and include a friendship across the ages. The only caveat, the protagonist from the present is usually unable to alter past events. Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce fits perfectly in this category and it's one of my favorite examples.

Tom Long, the present day (that being probably the 1950s) protagonist is sent away to his aunt and uncle's flat while his brother recovers at home from the
fin
May 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of British children's fantasy
I read this book 10 years ago, and it still haunts me.

Tom is forced to stay with aunt and uncle for the holidays. He hates the "no-garden"-ness of their city flat, and a cranky old landlady who lives in the attic. One night, the old grandfather clock downstairs struck 13. Tom is led to open the back door, and he finds a blooming and live garden, which he learns later isn't there during the daytime.

In the garden world, time stood still for him. He befriends Hattie, a girl as lonely as he is. But
Amalie
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone.
All this time I thought I had already added it to the shelf. This is a true children's classic. It is a beautiful, haunting evocative story of childhood, growing up, adulthood and old age. It's also unbearably sad, in a happy kind of way, if that makes sense. It's the story of life.

As a child and a teenager I used to have dreams about the Midnight garden, so did last night.

The story is about how two lonely children - a liitle boy named Tom and a little girl named Hattie - found each other's wo
Justine
May 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I ever need to cry, I pick up this book (one of my favourites) and skim right to the end, to the line: "he put his arms right round her and hugged her good-bye as if she were a little girl." What a beautiful book this is - I was not a child when I read this but I want to read this to my children one day.
Tej
It has been several years since I last read this beautifully enchanting and somewhat haunting time-slip tale about childhood, friendship, adolescence and the ocean swept passages of time.

This being not only my favourite time travel book but perhaps my favourite stand alone novel of all time, I thought its about time I wrote a little something about it. To be honest, I'm triggered to writing this in a hope of promoting its position in a poll for our next time travel book of the month group read.
Sharon
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tom Long is a young boy who is sent to stay with his Aunt and Uncle for a Summer when his brother becomes ill. There isn't much for Tom to do, but one night when the big old Grandfather clock in the hall strikes Thirteen, Tom goes to investigate. He opens a door to shine some moonlight on the clock........and finds a wonderful garden where there should only be rubbish bins and concrete.

Written in 1958, this was a childhood favourite of mine. I never owned a copy, but I borrowed it from the libr
Graham
Jun 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I remember avidly watching the Children's BBC adaptation of TOM'S MIDNIGHT GARDEN when I was around Tom's age myself - this would have been in 1990 or so. I absolutely loved the series, but to my chagrin I never read the book on which it was based - until now.

I'd always assumed that this was a modern book but on checking the details I found it was written in 1958 - this explains how Pearce has a natural way with words and how she recaptures the same magic of childhood as Enid Blyton did. In fact
Rosie
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 STARS.

A truly magical story, entertaining for kids and adults alike. The beauty of this book is how you can allow your imagination to run away with you, just as Tom does. I will for sure pass this story (probably this exact book because THAT COVER THOUGH and it has cute illustrations) onto my kids as I think it's a great classic kids story.

I know this story well, I had the audio book on tape (yes tape, I am 21, kids) when I was a little girl but it was an abridged radio-play dramatization s
Martini
So beautiful, especially the last half!
If you used to spend your childhood playing outdoors, or if you're into gardens, or if you simply love a sweet story with a touch of fantasy, you should seriously consider reading this book.
I think it's even better to read this as an adult, because you will get all the finer nuances and details that a child might not realise.
Eric Leonard
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Oh my God! I have no words for this book! This is one of the most beautiful books I've ever read, I swear! The final scene is the most heartwarming scene in a book I've ever read. Yes, it is a book for children, but you should all read it. It is amazing!
Nikki
When I think about this book, I get the same sort of feeling as Tom at the beginning of the story -- a little stifled, restless, too full of food. It's quite odd! Anyway, that somewhat colours my memories of this book, making it a bit less wondrous than perhaps it should be. It's a sweet story, ultimately, about mutual loneliness and need of companionship reaching right across time and bringing too lonely children together. It never gets too saccharine, though -- perhaps just slightly, at the en ...more
Alexandra
*** Review available by request for those on my Friend list ***
DNF with Jack Mack
If plot is a riddle, this doesn't deliver on the riddle's best solution. A prime example of why book party fouls exist, even if they are well managed. . . (view spoiler) ...more
Ivana Nešić
1. Iznerviram se kad u ovim godinama saznam da postoji klasik dečje književnosti za koji nisam ni čula
2. Iznerviram se što ovo nisam pročitala 30 godina ranije. Ok. 25 godina ranije. Osećam da bi mi bilo nešto najomiljenije na svetu.
2b. Iako mislim da bi meni bilo najomiljenije na svetu, nisam sigurma da bih mogla da preporučim Kad sat otkuca trinaest malcima danas jer je, naročito negde oko prve trećine, knjiga veoma spora. Prosto ritam iz drugog vremena. Ali to se do kraja sve isplati.
C.
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh! How do I express my gladness to have experienced this book? I can’t believe it’s from 1958. It could be a 1970s child, who feels his summer was forfeited by spending it with his apartment-dwelling Aunt. He loves his family’s yard and his Aunt only has trashcans on cement. With his brother ill, away he goes. His Aunt is keen to take him out but his Uncle is my least favourite type; debating whatever you utter. I love that Tom issues metaphysical challenges to him!

I hadn’t heard of Philippa Pe
Jane
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was not, as a rule, a huge fan of sad book when I was a child, but I remember both loving Tom's Midnight Garden and finding it heartbreaking. Sometimes I'm reluctant to reread something that gave me so much pleasure as a child, because I want to hold on to that initial experience. But the rereading was well worth it. It is a story about the power of memory, the relentless passage of time, and the fleeting but intense beauty of the world and childhood. One might think that these are not themes ...more
Kaethe
Poor Tom, forced to go away during the summer holiday while his brother suffers the measles, and kept indoors under quarantine. How old-fashioned is that? Between Tom's unattractive sulking and insomnia, my general lack of interest in gardening, and a personal fear that this was going to turn into one of those stories about a guy finding the perfect mate by traveling back to a time before feminism, well, I didn't have high hopes. But it turned out to be a story about falling in love with a place ...more
Tristan Sherwin
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's a reason why this book is a classic.

I haven't read this book since being at primary school in the nineteen-eighties, and even then, the book was read to me.

I'm now thirty-six, and I've enjoyed reading it as much as I did hearing it. The best children's books are the ones that you still want to read as an adult.

This is a beautiful story, one that is wonderful to escape into.

Highly recommended.

--Tristan Sherwin, author of *Love: Expressed*
Huy
Oct 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: newbery-carnegie
Một cuốn sách đáng yêu, huyền bí và mê hoặc. Có đứa trẻ nào lại không thích những khu vườn, không thích du hành thời gian và đặc biệt ai lại không từng mơ ước được đi vào trong thế giới của những giấc mơ.
Hamed Movaghari
از روی این کتاب سریالی 6 قسمتی در سال 1989 ساخته شده است.
شبکه اول سیما، سریال رویای باغ در نیمه شب را پپخش کرده بود.
Nicholas Whyte
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I can't quite believe that I managed to reach the age of nearly 44 without having read this brilliant children's fantasy, though I had fond if vague memories of Dorothea Brooking's 1974 BBC adaptation. Tom, sent to stay with his aunt and uncle after his brother develops measles, discovers that when the clock in the hall strikes thirteen in the middle of the night he is able to visit the garden as it was in the past, and makes friends with Hattie who lives
Hil
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In 1989,the BBC did a TV adaptation of this book which my almost 11 year old self was enchanted by. My dad bought me the book, with the picture from the TV show on the front, but from that day to this I had never read more than a few pages. My love of time travel stories should really have prompted me to read it earlier. I have even seen 2 theatrical performances of it (but have never managed to find the BBC programme again online).

So my rating of this book may be tinged with nostalgia, but it
Ivan
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those novels that I'll remember and appreciate in time more than I do now. The story is a good one, and there are many memorable scenes. However, I found the writing rather tedious, sluggish; I kept wanting the pace of the narrative to pick up. The final forty pages are quite lovely, and the final encounter choked me up. Still, I don't know that I'd recommend this to a child - certainly not before "The Borrowers" or "The Children of Green Knowe."
Courtney
Tom is certain he's in for a miserable summer when his younger brother catches the measles, and he is bundled off to his aunt and uncle's flat for quarantine. However, soon after arriving he discovers a mysterious garden which disappears every day, but reappears when the clock strikes thirteen. Will he ever discover the cause of the garden's mystery - and learn about the ghost girl he befriends there?
Salt Publishing
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic slipstream novel, utterly wonderful and with chapters that are unforgettable. A must for any child.
Paula Vince
I chose this title as my Award winning Classic category in the 2017 Back to the Classics Challenge. It won the prestigious Carnegie Medal for children's and young adult's books in 1958. That's a British literary award that recognises outstanding contributions, and is named after philanthropist Andrew Carnegie who founded almost 3000 libraries. So on with the book.

Tom thinks he's in for a long, boring holiday. He's sent to stay with a childless aunt and uncle while his brother recuperates from th
Michela
There is nothing like a good old children story. Those who think we don't need them anymore when we grow up, must have very dull and miserable lives. I guarantee you this book embraces the wonder and joy of childhood and reminds us that dreams are what can colour our lives with marvel.

Read more here at The Italian Goblin Market
Amy Brown
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, children-ya
This is an old childhood favourite, and I still love it. It's a bit slow to get going, but a good story if you stick with it. I was struck by the horrible, self-absorbed adults in the book; I think this is one of the books which made me determined to be an adult who respects and listens to children.
Time Travel: Tom's Midnight Garden (November 2014 Buddy Read) 44 47 Feb 01, 2015 11:47AM
1001 Children's B...: October 2014: Tom's Midnight Garden 3 25 Dec 22, 2014 12:16PM
  • Charlotte Sometimes
  • The Children of Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #1)
  • The Phoenix and the Carpet (Five Children, #2)
  • A Traveller In Time
  • The Box Of Delights
  • Stig of the Dump
  • The Family from One End Street: And Some of Their Adventures
  • Pigeon Post (Swallows and Amazons, #6)
  • The Haunting
  • Carrie's War
  • The School at the Chalet (The Chalet School, #1)
  • The Turbulent Term of Tyke Tiler
  • The Ghost of Thomas Kempe
  • Time at the Top
  • The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (The Wolves Chronicles, #1)
  • Elidor
  • Circus Shoes (Shoes, #3)
  • Just William (Just William, #1)
Philippa Pearce OBE was an English author of children's books. Her most famous work is the time slip fantasy novel Tom's Midnight Garden, which won the 1958 Carnegie Medal from the Library Association, as the year's outstanding children's book by a British subject. Pearce was four further times a commended runner-up for the Medal.

Pearce wrote over 30 books, including A Dog So Small (1962), Mi
More about Philippa Pearce...

“Nothing stands still, except in our memory.” 36 likes
“A habit of solitude in early childhood is not easily broken. Indeed, it may prove lifelong.” 10 likes