Start by marking “After the Battle on Starship Hill: Prologue to The Children of the Sky” as Want to Read:
After the Battle on Starship Hill: Prologue to The Children of the Sky

After the Battle on Starship Hill: Prologue to The Children of the Sky

"After the Battle on Starship Hill" is more than 12000 words of prologue from Vernor Vinge's forthcoming novel, The Children of the Sky. Taking place on Tines World, this mini e-book describes events of the years immediately following the conclusion of the predecessor novel, A Fire Upon the Deep.
Published September 13th 2011 by Tor Books

Start your review of After the Battle on Starship Hill: Prologue to The Children of the Sky
John
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I disagree with the reviewers who said this was just the first two or three chapters of The Children of the Sky (CotS). There was definitely additional information on the Tycoon's henchmen, and early contact with the Tropics. I think this could have been read before CotS.
Andrew Kennedy
Sep 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
It is just the first couple chapters of The Children of the Sky. I paid for an excerpt from a book that I bought anyways. Just buy the book itself.
Dokusha
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Vielleicht liegt es daran, dass es nur ein kurzer Prolog zu einem anderen Buch ist, aber ich fand es wenig enttäuschend. Die Szenen waren nicht wirklich ausgearbeitet und die Verbindung zwischen ihnen fehlte.
Es gibt auch nicht wirklich ein verünftiges Ende, das Ganze hängt irgendwie in der Luft, und der Zusammenhang mit Children of the Sky ist auch nur lose erkennbar. Dies hat Vernor Vinge wohl mehr als eine Art Pflichtübung gesehen.
Vinod Kurup
Not sure how I ended up with this on my Kindle. I think I've heard that I should read Vernor Vinge and saw this for sale on BookBub or something. But it was unsatisfying because it's just a couple chapters of a book, and I think it's meant to be between Book 1 and Book 2 in a series, so I didn't really understand what was going on. But I could see that I might like reading Book 1 based on this little tease.
Chuck
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little slow to start as Vinge had to set up all the plot lines he wanted to add. The rest was of the book was fast paced and fun. By the end he had more material to work with for the next few books than I've seen previously. However, those next few books are probably not coming. :/
Gerald Barber
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After the Battle on Starship Hill

Interesting and thought provoking. This short revisitation to the world of the Tines is imaginative world building at its finest.
Roy
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do not buy this excellent book. All the material is included in the full novel. It is not a prelude, it's a preview, and no longer relevant except to collectors.
Pilla
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read any of the Children of the Sky, but enjoyed this short novella.
Steve
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: give-up-on
Gary Brophy
May 17, 2013 rated it liked it
I probably should have read The Children of the Sky first. It seemed to be incomplete. There were too many loose ends.
Klaus Varias
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a real highlight but the story made me want to read "A fire on the deepness" again.
Robert
Jun 09, 2013 rated it liked it
This "book" is just the first couple of chapters of "Children of the Sky". Skip this and read "Children of the Sky" instead.
Danyel Lawson
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very satisfying sequel of epic duration.
Budd Turner
Prequel to The Children of the Sky.
Actually the first three chapters of The Children of the Sky.
Curtis Nichols
Jun 26, 2014
Gene Lacy
Sep 23, 2015
scott t rettig
rated it did not like it
Dec 13, 2013
Jan 02, 2015
Nathan Burg
May 07, 2019
What is this? 1 6 Oct 05, 2011 06:17AM

• Ballistic (The Palladium Wars #2)
  • The Midnight Circus
  • Dragons Composed
  • Mimic and the Space Engineer Boxed Set (Space Shifter Chronicles #1-3)
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
  • How to Rule an Empire and Get Away with It
  • A Pivot In Time (Alien Artifact Book 2)
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
  • Agency (Jackpot #2)
  • Hide Away (Rachel Marin Thriller #1)
  • Auberon (The Expanse, #8.5)
  • Endymion (Hyperion Cantos, #3)
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
  • Disloyal: The True Story of the Former Personal Attorney to President Donald J. Trump
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Echopraxia (Firefall, #2)
  • Midnight Son
  • Themes and Variations
Vernor Steffen Vinge is a retired San Diego State University Professor of Mathematics, computer scientist, and science fiction author. He is best known for his Hugo Award-winning novels A Fire Upon The Deep (1992), A Deepness in the Sky (1999) and Rainbows End (2006), his Hugo Award-winning novellas Fast Times at Fairmont High (2002) and The Cookie Monster (2004), as well as for hi ...more