Start by marking “L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington, #6)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
L.A. Dead

Stuart Woods

L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington #6)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  7,640 Ratings  ·  202 Reviews
Stone Barrington, the always surprising attorney and investigator, finds himself caught between two alluring women - one who has been left at the altar and another who is suspected of murder. Stone is in the midst of plans to marry Dolce, the daughter of a New York mafioso, when he is suddenly called to the side of Arrington Calder, a woman he has loved and lost, but never ...more
Audio CD
Published November 6th 2000 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about L.A. Dead, please sign up.
Chris Taillon How about the Mattie Winston series by Annelise Ryan or the Bailey Weggins series by Kate White. Also David Baldacci has a number of series one of…moreHow about the Mattie Winston series by Annelise Ryan or the Bailey Weggins series by Kate White. Also David Baldacci has a number of series one of which is King and Maxwell. Happy reading.(less)

Diane
Apr 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good series! interesting and a fast-paced storyline,also well written (paperback!)
Diane Wallace
Dawn
Aug 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I mostly liked this one, until the end. There's a whole lotta naked in this book, but not much resolution. I hope some of these things are addressed in the next book. It's weird that Stone lives in NY but it seems not many of these books actually takes place in NY. I think with each book I hate Arrington more. I hope she doesn't continue to be in Stone's life through the entire series. I'd love to see what would happen if Stone met Jack Reacher.

Since I am an editor, I am very nitpicky when I re
Marguerite Czajka
It was an easy read and the mystery part was okay. But the author added in some nonsensical sex. The lead character, Stone, is called from his Italian wedding because a huge movie star (lots of paparazzi) has been murdered. Within a couple days of the murder, Stone is having sex with the star's personal assistant as well as the star's widow, who happens to the only suspect and Stone's ex. Every woman he meets, apart from the maid, is really hot for him and wears either nothing or a bikini. I thi ...more
Sheila
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots going on in this one for Stone on both a personal and professional level. On the eve of his wedding to the daughter of a mafia don in Venice, Italy he gets a call that his former girlfriend is the prime suspect in the murder of her husband.

Stone basically dumps his almost wife at the altar to run to the aid of Arrington in Los Angeles to be her lawyer. This doesn't go over particularly well with his fiance or her family.

Not my favorite in this series so far because it sure portrays Stone as
Leslie
Maybe just 2.5*...

I didn't much care for the way the book ended with (view spoiler). Also, I found Stone's ability to attract all the women with whom he came into contact (even when he wasn't trying) a bit too much; it seemed more like a male fantasy rather than real life.

The solving of who killed Arrington's husband, Vance Calder, was a little sl
Teri Pre
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feb2018
Somehow, I think Stuart Woods let his fantasy life run rampant throughout this book. I'd quit now, but I'm curious as to which direction the next book will take.
Richard White
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Good book great series.
Jan
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Gift from a friend. Actually this was the Audio book. Brilliantly read by actor Tony Roberts who did wonderful voice and accents.

Story. Ex-Cop Stone Barrington is about to get married, but still in love with an ex-girlfriend who dumped him and married a movie actor. He is in Italy for his marriage, he has a civil ceremony and the church wedding is the next day. In the middle of all of this his ex-girlfriends husband is murdered, and he dumps his bride and rushes to the ex-girlfriends side.

I tota
Bel
Feb 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just wonder if he will ever encounter a woman who looks 'normal' and not model-beautiful....

As usual a romp from start to finish, a decent supposed murderer reveal and lots of glitz. These books aren't high brow but they are good fun
Kathi
Oct 21, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Terrible.
ElaineY
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; DECEMBER 31, 2017
Narrator: Robert Lawrence

This series is the ultimate in literary junk food! I know it's bad (like Dostoevsky is good?) but I can't stop. He-ellpp!

Woods' writing is simple but polished and the series, like all my comfort books, are formulaic - I know there's going to be a dead body or two and Stone will be bedded by a woman or two. Usually two.

In this installment, still nursing a broken heart he is in Italy about to marry Dolce, the sister-in-law of Dino. Din
Jerry
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

This book had a who-done-it feel from the end of the first chapter. Through the very last page.. Besides being a murder mystery, I was drawn into the disastrous and at times whimsical love affairs of the main character Stone Barrington, which of dispute being a lawyer and obviously a man of intelligence has poor judgement in affairs of the heart. Descriptions of people and places are so good you almost feel was though you've come in contact with them in the past. The places described tr
Jeannine Stewart
Jul 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Since all of the Stone Barrington books I've read have been out of sequence, I knew how this book ended from reading several books subsequent to this one. So that took away most of the mystery although I did not know how the case was resolved, only the end result. The resolution of this murder case, however, is jammed into about the last 4 pages and is so preposterous that it was unbelievable, even for L.A. And the book should have been titled L.A. Laid, the sex lives of the rich and infamous. I ...more
Richard
I always feel a little embarrassed that I enjoy reading this series. It's a bit fluffy, sort of popcorn fiction that is outside of my normal harder core reading. Not only do I enjoy the books but I become totally engrossed in each plot to the point where I can almost read the book in one sitting. Woods' silky smooth writing does help and many of the characters become good friends, even though some are very unlikeable. It's nice to know that there are plenty more books to go and Mr Woods is still ...more
William Smolich
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stone is everyman's desired persona and I would assume every woman desired... evening companion. He's a fighter and a lover. He is well versed in every finery there is. From shirts to Knob Hill. The latest personal jets to hotels, homes and offshore banking. How this man from Delano, GA does all things everywhere while remaining legal, moral and ethical... most times, is someone to admire and despise. I hope Stuart Woods never stops.
William Wygle
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
L.A.Dead is more episodic in feel than previous entries and is entertaining for that. In this installment, we find Stone trying his best to get his former fiance, Arrington off for murdering her movie star husband, who just so happens to be the biggest star in the world. And to make matters worse, he leaves his new bride, A Mafia Boss's daughter, at the altar. Things are pretty deep for Stone and that makes for an entertaining page turner.
Laura Lavender-blackwood
This book had me in such an uproar. I can't begin to count the times I wanted to throw the book across the room. To me this by far has to be the best one. It made me hate Stone and I love Stone. I never trusted Arrington in the first place. Can't wait to read more because this one left me with a lot of unanswered questions.
Skadams9038
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Happy I read this

This answers a lot of questions about this character in these books.. at least for me

For those who like mystery and character by this Author, this is a good read.
Anna
Mar 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and engaging. Though Barrington needs to quit having sex with every female character.
Joyce
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Woods' earlier books are the best of the Stone Barrington series!
Mylinda
Predictable, naked women all throw themselves at Stone, the mystery solves itself. Fluff, but pleasant summer brain candy. The male version of Stephanie Plum.
Jdias
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5...very fast read. Holds your interest at the start. Now to the next one in the series!
Tom
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stuart Woods is back on track with a strong thriller/mystery. This one makes me happy he's so prolific.
Sally Handley
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suspeneful page turner. Just what you'd expect from Stuart Woods.
judie fohs
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good read about the main character, Stone Barrington
Peter Charleston
Seemed to have more sexual encounters than case solving.
Emma
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is fun, but I want new characters. Enough bringing the old folks back.
Nancy Shaffer
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always good, always a quick read, always go back for more.
Eva
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When is Stone **EVER** going to listen to his former partner, Dino, when he knows what he's talking about?! And can Stone Barrington possibly get any dumber when it comes to women?! In this novel he finds himself in Italy and about to marry Dolce Biannci, Dino's mostly crazy and most definitely violent, jealous, and possessive sister in law. But, before he and Dolce can have the church wedding -- and AFTER they have their civil ceremony -- news comes that Vance Calder has been killed. Needless t ...more
  • Deadman's Bluff (Tony Valentine #7)
  • The Burglar Who Thought He Was Bogart (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #7)
  • The Harry Bosch Novels, Volume 2: The Last Coyote / Trunk Music / Angels Flight (Harry Bosch, #4-6)
  • Try Fear (Ty Buchanan)
  • Rough Weather (Spenser, #36)
  • Silent Partner: The Graphic Novel
  • The Protégé (Christian Gillette, #2)
  • The New Centurions
  • Taking the Fifth (J.P. Beaumont, #4)
  • The Corpse in Oozak's Pond (Peter Shandy, #6)
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods

Stone Barrington (1 - 10 of 48 books)
  • New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1)
  • Dirt (Stone Barrington, #2)
  • Dead in the Water (Stone Barrington, #3)
  • Swimming to Catalina (Stone Barrington, #4)
  • Worst Fears Realized (Stone Barrington, #5)
  • Cold Paradise (Stone Barrington, #7)
  • The Short Forever (Stone Barrington, #8)
  • Dirty Work (Stone Barrington, #9)
  • Reckless Abandon (Stone Barrington, #10 Holly Barker #4)
  • Two Dollar Bill (Stone Barrington, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Finding Claire Fletcher (Claire Fletcher, #1)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Fierce Radiance
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • Playing Dead
  • Look Behind You
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Where the Memories Lie
    $4.99 $1.99
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
  • Nineteen Seventy Four
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite, #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Wrath (Luis Chavez, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Three (Codename: Chandler, #3)
  • The Hollow Men: A Novel
    $15.95 $1.99
  • The Pope of Palm Beach: A Novel (Serge Storms)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Night Bird (Frost Easton, #1)
  • Flood (Burke, #1)