Start by marking “By Honor Betrayed” as Want to Read:
By Honor Betrayed

By Honor Betrayed

Lieutenant Conrad Herriot and Seaman Tom Cotton have been master and servant for over a decade, and friends for almost as long. When Tom is injured during a skirmish, Conrad forgets himself and rushes to Tom's side, arousing suspicion about the true nature of their relationship.

All Tom wants is the chance to consummate their love and embark on a new life together, out
ebook, EPUB eBook DRM free, 84 pages
Published November 2011 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about By Honor Betrayed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By Honor Betrayed

Start your review of By Honor Betrayed
Lena Grey
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What would you do if faced with the impossible choice of staying within the rules of society or following your heart? When it comes down to deciding whether to spend his life with Tom Cotton, the man he loves, or without him, Lieutenant Conrad Herriot makes a monumental decision which will affect his and Tom's life forever.

Conrad is such a good, honest, caring person but he is also a product of his environment. He's had honor, duty, and morals pounded into him all of his life, yet, when it comes
Erastes
Nov 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay-historical
Just a small niggle, and this is nothing to do with the review or the mark – but I fail completely to see why Carina insisted on the American spellling of “honor” on the title and the blurb, and then used English spelling–including “honour” in the book itself. Very odd indeed. (plus the
year is wrong, the book is set in 1750) Bad Carina, no biscuit.
I had to have some niggles, after all, because there’s not much else to niggle about here. Lovers of Alex’s writing–whether you like it for the mile
Bruin Fisher
Nov 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Age of Sail is a genre with exacting specifications - it's a peculiarly 'foreign' setting, requiring the author's mastery over such a lot of esoteric language and practice, it's a daunting task. Nevertheless there are a few authors who can pull it off convincingly and Ms Beecroft is at the top of her game. This is a brief novella which instantly pulls you in to its exciting and involving plot, perfectly recreating the life of an officer and his servant on board ship in the Royal Navy in the era ...more
willaful
Oct 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of thoughtful romance
I’ve heard many great things about Beecroft’s False Colors but tend to be intimidated by long, epic historicals. This was a perfect introduction to her work, a novella that compactly blends romance, adventure and insight into the human heart in its 84 pages.

Lt. Conrad Herriot has been struggling for a decade with his feelings for his manservant and best friend, Tom. He’s fairly sure they’re mutual -- the risk in taking action is not of losing Tom, but of his chances at heaven, and he feels force
Kajsa Gillsjö Collin
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. Goodness. This book is AMAZING! Yes, with capital letters.
Reading old reviews over at Dear Author i came across a review of an anthology were most stories were pretty bad but the one by Alex Beecroft (Blessed Isle) had a high score. Intrigued by the description I decided to check her out. She had a lot of books taking place on ships during the 18th century and since I love that setting I was excited even before I started reading. And the excitement did not go away. In fact it just grew.
T
Christine
Nov 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm sitting here wondering why I haven't read Alex Beecroft before. Huge oversight on my part that I will have to correct.

This was a quick read that actually had me shouting out at one point. I love how there aren't any easy outs for Conrad and Tom. Their lives are in constant danger, not only due to their roles as sailors in the British Navy, but because of their desire for each other. The fact they are innocent of consummating their relationship is irrelevant to those around them.

I wished th
Alison
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-e-things, queer, lgbtq
4.5 stars. So good! I loved this exciting novella. It's a gripping and vivid adventure in a small, lively package. The writing is superb and full of wonderfully rich detail. The characters are engaging and vibrant. This was really great and I wish there was more. It's complete, but I want to know what happens next! Alex Beecroft's seafaring historicals are all so fantastic and I have loved them all.
kasjo_peja
May 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Chaotic writing and chaotic plotting. Both MC were indecisive, had mixed priorities and really bad timing. I got lost few times, because of the marine historical language.
Good snap-shot description of surrounding (weather, people, buildings).
BlackTulip
Jan 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was simply blown away by that book, but why am I not surprised ! Alex Beecroft is such a marvelous writer ...
C.C. Williams
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent read! Interesting characters in creative situations makes for a delightful story. Has one the best wind-ups I've ever read.

Highly recommended!
Galia
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Bo
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not So Smooth Sailing

Two completely opposite young men in their early 20s, Conrad and Tom have a unique, and unspoken, love for each other on board a Royal Navy ship in mid-18th Century England. Conrad is an aristocrat whose father was an esteemed admiral; Tom was born on the ship and assigned as a valet/servant to Conrad when they were early teenagers.

These two have never consummated their unspoken desires until their new captain decides to separate them because, well, he suspects something is
CasL
Jul 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. It was short, and perhaps a tad bit predictable, but still enjoyable. There's some fun characters I wouldn't have minded seeing more of; and the main character provides a more realistic look at the time than you usually get with these sorts of novels. It was more teasing than smutty - which I actually prefer. Good, easy read you could probably crank out in an hour or so.
Brie
Nov 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Originally posted at Romance Around the Corner

Source: we received an e-ARC of the book through NetGalley for review purposes.

When I saw this book on Netgalley I wasn’t familiar with Ms. Beecroft’s work, but I’ve been meaning to read more historical romance and since this was a novella I figured that if I didn’t like it at least it would be short. Obviously I shouldn’t have worried since it turns out that I was in the presence of a fantastic book by a great author.

By Honor Betrayed is set during
Sasha Ambroz
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: so-gay, history, romance, own
Good but too short for the characters to develop, that's why I didn't get any connection with them.
Reni
Mar 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Seleste deLaney
Nov 18, 2011 rated it really liked it

I'm going to preface this review by saying that I don't read a lot of historical. Okay... I hardly ever read historicals. As a general rule, they aren't my thing, but every now and then one comes on my radar that I want to try. By Honor Betrayed was like that for me. Between the cover and the blurb, I REALLy wanted to read the book. (And somewhere I convinced myself that pirates played a key role, and I do so love pirates.)

The good:
I really liked the relationship between Conrad and Tom,
Elisa Rolle
The story doesn’t span a long time in the life of Lieutenant Conrad Herriot and Seaman Tom Cotton: when we met them, they are already “together” since when Conrad was a 13 years old boy entering the Royal Army as officer and Tom was assigned to him as a servant, Tom himself a boy of 15 years. They basically grew up together, becoming the men they are without no one intruding between them, no family, no women, no other men. The bond is so tight that Conrad prefers the company of Tom to other offi ...more
Sandra
Nov 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
ARC from Carina Press on NetGalley

2.5 stars This was OK, but not great. The writing style was good, and I was immediately intrigued by Conrad and Tom. The tension between them was built right off the bat and I couldn't wait to see how things would finally come to a head. Unfortunately, after that, I felt like it lacked some depth. Once they finally got down to it, I didn't feel as much of a connection as I wanted to. That first sex scene was just sort of meh. And although, given Conrad's concern
Jen Davis
Nov 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Tom has been Conrad's manservant for years. And they have developed a deep friendship that goes beyond the difference in their stations. There is an unspoken thread of something even more between them... a quiet, intense longing that neither has ever acted upon. The two serve together in the 18th century Royal Navy... so if they were to ever give in to those feelings, they could hang for their actions.

The ship's captain starts to catch wind that there may be more to the relationship and tries to
LenaLena
Oct 24, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked the story. What there is of it. I like Beecroft's writing style. I like her sense of detail and the levels of angst are just right for me. But this feels like False Colors with a bunch of chapters missing in the beginning, and a bunch of them missing at the end. How does this pirate thing play out, pray tell? Maybe I am just not good at novellas, but truncated as this feels, I am missing depth. ...more
Nice, entertaining short story. Loved the nautical setting and the way the author described the forbidden aspect of the protagonists' romance. I felt like the ending got a little rushed, but overall I enjoyed it.

Thanks to Netgalley and Carina Press for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

For more of my reviews, please check out my blog
Aymee
I adore a story about forbidden love and/or the star-crossed-lovers theme. This novella brings these to life brilliantly. The pair of lovers are total opposites and yet, they fit together so well that you're sometimes surprised. Well-written and set in an era that I'm not normally drawn to, this story of Conrad's quest to save Tom from the unjust laws of their day will bring a smile to your face.
Lillian Francis
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Seriously what can I say but...wow. I love a well researched book and this was that and more. I can only assume Ms. Beecroft is a traveler from another time transported here with not just knowledge but the experience of living in those conditions. I could practically feel the tang of the salt in the air and the spray against my cheek.
My only complaint would be that I wanted more. A sequel of their time as pirates would make my day.
Maxine
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've always really enjoyed Alex Beecroft's characters and attention to historical detail. My one big complaint with her books is that there's never enough sex for me, but I realize that's a "to each their own" thing. This was a very compelling romance with probably the most sex of any of her books that I've read. There were a few plot twists I really didn't expect, so it kept me guessing. Quite enjoyable and well written.
SA
Dec 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Short but surprisingly powerful and nuanced. I liked a great deal that Beecroft got into some of the race and class issues of the Age of Sail; I liked the hard choices the two characters had to make, and how nothing was easy.

Probably best read after Beecroft's other stories; it doesn't quite stand up to them, but is a solid mid-level addition to her canon.
Becky Black
Nov 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, m-m
I like this and would have given it 4 stars, except it does leave me dissatisfied because it's so short. For the amount of plot that happens it feels like it should be much longer, or alternatively, that it should be the first of a series, because I'd definitely read more about these guys!
Antonella
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5

Maybe a bit too short? But perfect in every other aspect: descriptions, writing, characters, plot (it would be a great action movie). And with depth, like in the end when Conrad rethinks his treatment of Tom.
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Review soon @ thefaeryromanticlibrarian.blogspot.com
Anne
Jul 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Short and sweet. Nuff said.

• A Gathering Storm (Porthkennack, #2)
  • The Pursuit Of... (The Worth Saga #2.5)
  • Spellbound (Magic in Manhattan, #1)
  • On a Lee Shore
  • Beguiled (Enlightenment, #2)
  • John Paul Jones: Sailor, Hero, Father of the American Navy
  • Ransom (Royal Navy, #1)
  • Deep Magic (Deep Magic #1)
  • It Takes Two to Tumble (Seducing the Sedgwicks, #1)
  • Enlightened (Enlightenment, #3)
  • A Gentleman's Position (Society of Gentlemen, #3)
  • Seducing The Earl
  • The Merchant of Reeves Square (After the Swan's Nest Book 3)
  • The Actor and the Earl (The Crofton Chronicles Book 1)
  • The Lawrence Browne Affair (The Turner Series, #2)
  • Hexbreaker (Hexworld, #1)
  • The Bastard's World
  • Wanted, A Gentleman
Spaceships and galaxy spanning empires, conversations with angels, viking villages, haunted mansions and forbidden love in the Age of Sail... I love a good strong plot in an exotic setting, with characters you can admire, and a happy ending.

If you make a venn diagram of genres, including historical, fantasy, gay romance and mystery, I occupy the space in the middle where they overlap.

~