Start by marking “99 Coffins (Laura Caxton, #2)” as Want to Read:
99 Coffins (Laura Caxton, #2)

99 Coffins (Laura Caxton #2)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  1,885 Ratings  ·  146 Reviews
Laura Caxton vowed never to face them again. The horror of what the vampires did is too close, the wounds too fresh. But when Jameson Arkeley, broken and barely recognizable, comes to her with an unfathomable discovery, her resolve crumbles.

In Gettysburg a tomb has been discovered. Cemeteries are nothing new for this town, legendary for its role in the Civil War’s bloodie
Published (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about 99 Coffins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 99 Coffins

Mike (the Paladin)
I originally had a three star rating on this book, but I finally upped it to four. While it has some specific failings it's still an interesting book and I think it should get a "low 4". I finished it up last night and went to bed thinking I'd give it a 3...but now I realize I do plan to continue the series and I was interested in the book from first to last.

So what's good? This is an in your face vampire book. They aren't traditional vamps but neither are they "sad, romantic...sparkly vampires"
Sammy Loves Books
These books are amazingly gruesome and the vampires are just plain evil. 99 Coffins developed slower than 13 Bullets but was still very enjoyable. The historical portion of the book was amazing. I loved reading about the use of vampires to help win the revolution. There was an unexpected twist in the end that I just didn't see coming.

Can't wait to start book 3 of the series, Vampire Zero: A Gruesome Vampire Tale

This Series must be read in order as each book picks right up where the previous boo
Hudson
Nov 14, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
** Actual rating 3.5**

This was a pretty good vampire tale that blended current day with events that happened during the Civil War.

I gave a 3.5 instead of a 4 because I didn't think the writing compared to some other books I have rated 4 stars recently.The writing was decent, but had somewhat of a "pulp" feel to it.

Recommended to horror and vampire fans.
C.V. Hunt
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Wow! In two books David Wellington has joined the ranks with my favorite authors. The back and forth of every other chapter kept me captivated. Two stories being told between the past and the present, and merging into one was spectacular. I’ve never been one for history, but it flowed with the story seamlessly and never tripped me up.

I kept myself from reading the synopsis off of the backs of the remaining books when I started this series, and I am glad that I did. The twist was (literarily) a
David
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great entry in this series...with an ending promising more good stuff.
Jenna Allen
this book was easy to read and was fun. The story was original. Vampires from the past are brought back in the future and not only can they cause tremendous harm they also dont know their way around anything modern. they cant open a push bar door. Unfortuately this is set in Gettysburg and many things around there are the same as they were and they know their way around.

the chapters set in the Civil War started to be usless information that the reader doesnt always need to know, but in the end
Daniel
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Again, this one was lost from my review feed, but here it goes. The duo of Arkeley and Caxton delve into a plot by a decrepit and wasted away vampire lord, Justinian Malvern. Her plot brought vampires into the fore during the Civil War, in an attempt to create an army. Flashbacks to the time of the Civil War, and the modern implications of the vampire threat in Pennsylvania bring this book straight to your door. The triumph here is upended by the tragedy, as Arkeley is changed into a vampire to ...more
Jamie
Jan 28, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Comic Book Lovers
Recommended to Jamie by: Men's Health Magazine
This was a bit of a let down. If you are a comic book fan, you could probably enjoy this read. However, I felt this book moved too slowly and seemed too predicatable. My biggest issue is that in the world in which this story exists, vampires are routine occurences to the public at large, subject of TV movies, no more and no less. This author managed de-fang his vampires and wiped away the mystique that has lingered over these mythical figures ever since Bram Stoker first wrote of Dracula. If you ...more
Cindy (eclecticfirefly)
Fans of Twilight, beware.....these are NOT your sparkly vampires. David Wellington has created a very animalistic vampire. They don't have 2 dainty, although dangerous vangs, they have several rows of triangular, pointed teeth very similar to a shark's teeth. They are much faster and stronger than humans, and they retain almost no human emotions. They can regenerate from wounds almost instantly. The only thing that kills them is to destroy their heart.

There is a surprise ending! Well - unless yo
Tashie
Sep 03, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this last night. It was nice to see vampires portrayed as monsters and not the typical over-sexualized velvet capers that you usually see. It was a quick read and pretty fun if you like to read about creepy crawlies.
Kimberlee
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting plot, is all I can safely say. This is a twist on vampires than I have ever read before. I give it a 4 stars because I was never bored reading it.
Cindi (cheesygiraffe)
Apr 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-read
Better than the book before. With a cliff hanger ending.
Amy
May 14, 2009 marked it as wishlist  ·  review of another edition
library book due 6/4/09
Neil Carstairs
This one lost a star in the last couple of chapters with a plot twist that came from the same stable as Deus Ex Machina. I won’t go into it, too much of a spoiler, but that and a couple of other things has probably put me off continuing with this series.

Positives are the vampires, proper monstrous types that will feed in a frenzy with heads and limbs separated from bodies with alarming regularity. No sparkly, romantic types in sight.

Negatives:
The segments of Civil War writings could have been cu
John R. Dailey Jr.
A VERY, VERY WEIRD VAMPIRE TALE IT IS...

Hello, first of all, this is a pretty good story. However, it does have some issues. First, what's with all the gay folks. I would imagine that during the War of Northern Aggression, that would have been severely frowned upon out in the open. Second, the author did all this research for the timelines, but decided he had to throw in the two fairies. All this research and the police are shooting an M4 variant in 50 BMG. Come on. Thanks. Solid story if you co
Veronica Buckler
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book two of Wellington’s Caxton series was as good, if not better than the first. The action just keeps rolling. The vampires are devious and pure evil. Laura, the heroine, is coming into her own and learning more about killing the vampires. Plenty of gory, graphic scenes and heart pounding battles. I like this book a lot and am ready for book three!
Phillip
I enjoyed the predecessor to 99 Coffins, 13 Bullets, and enjoyed it enough to continue the series. I agree with other reviewers--this is a 3 star novel, but one that any fan of vampire literature should read and will enjoy. It's just not great "literature," if that makes much sense. This isn't the type of novel I highlight and annotate throughout, and take significant life lessons from. This is a novel that--going into--you expect to be entertained by, and in this regard, the novel is successful ...more
Jeff Jellets
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, horror

A Bloodthirstily Fantastic Sequel to 13 Bullets!

David Wellington’s second book, featuring Pennsylvania State Trooper (and apprentice vampire killer) Laura Caxton, is as bloody good as his first outing, and one of the best horror serials to come along in quite some time. Set in historic Gettysburg, trouble begins after a local archeological dig unearths a cavern full of caskets – a vampiric legion hidden away since the Civil War. It’s not long before the denizens of crypt awaken, and Wellington w
Dan
Jan 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I'm really a fan of David Wellington. I like what he does with the horror archetypes that he works with, enough so that I'd be willing to read the werewolf book Frostbite if it ever comes out in print.

13 Bullets was a good vampire story, especially as it made the vampires out to be complete badasses. They aren't sissies like in Underworld: these guys are legitimately scary.

While 99 Coffins was a good book, I don't feel as though it lived up to its predecessor. It was more action-based, which is
Madeline Knight-Dixon
13 Bullets is the first in the series, which sets up the lore nicely. And by that I mean these are monsters, not romanticized or sexual objects. They have pointed ears, rows of teeth, red eyes, completely pale skin, they are inhuman in every way imaginable. Their smart, but only use that sense in order to play with victims before (literally) tearing them limb from limb. There’s no love story here. It’s violent, and terrifying.

In this sequel there’s a lot of historical elements. It’s set in Getty
Lisa
Nov 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deserving of 3.5 stars, honestly. (When oh when will GoodReads enable half stars?) the main character Laura was less irritating than in the first book so that right there propelled this baby that extra half star for me. I'm still incredibly tired of her stupid miscalculations and oversights. As a supposed heroine I want her to grow smarter faster and be someone I can really root for instead of feeling sorry for her for being thrust into a position she can't handle. To whit: "She had screwed up, ...more
Mo
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From ReadingWithMo: http://www.readingwithmo.com/2011/07/...

Laura Caxton just wanted to get back to being a state trooper after her intense vampire battle alongside US Marshal Jameson Arkeley. But when a tomb filled with 100 vampire coffins is discovered under the Gettysburg Battlefied, Laura is drawn into what is sure to become an all out vampire war.

99 Coffins is the second book in the Laura Caxton series. Just like with the first novel, 13 Bullets, you will not find any hunky vampires involve
Amy
Jun 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This book is the sequel to 13 Bullets; however, it is not a typical sequel. This book alternates between the present and flashbacks to the Civil War.

99 Coffins begins on an archeological site related to the Battle of Gettysburg. A group of college students are excavating a weapons cache that they and the university believe to be completely unimportant. What they discover under the cache is another room containing 99 coffins from the Civil War era.

The narration jumps between journals, corresponde
Les Chroniques Aléatoires
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Quand j’ai lu le résumé la première fois, je me suis dit "Alors là oui, ça va vraiment le faire !!". Bon j’avoue qu’en même temps ça fait assez froid dans le dos de se dire que la pauvre Laura va devoir faire face à 99 vampires surentraînés presque toute seule. Pas franchement le top quand on veut prendre un peu de repos et surtout qu’on s’en est sortis vraiment de justesse quelques mois plus tôt contre même pas 10% de l’armée ennemie actuelle.

Rien n’a été simple pour Laura, elle a perdu celle q
Jim Barton
I enjoyed the originality of 13 Bullets and had been waiting to savor this sequel. I am sorely disappointed. There is a real lack of depth to the characters - I don't feel I really know Laura Caxton or her former-mentor Arkeley, even though I followed them in 13 Bullets. And other characters seem like two-dimensional cutouts arranged in the scenery.

I didn't find the Civil War flashbacks at all compelling. They took me out of the present-day story without adding much that wasn't already known or
Lori
Jul 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't realize that there was a book before this, but I read it anyway. I thought it was a great book about vampires. It was definitely was different then the other vampire books I've read. The vampires in this book were not glamorized in any way. No love story, no werewolves, no getting stronger the older the vampire, etc. In this book, the vampires become weaker the older they get. They need more blood in order to function. They also have rows of fangs, not just the incisors. Anyway this sto ...more
Beausephus
99 COFFINS is an interesting mix of modern the procedural/semi-crime fiction genre spinkled liberally with a refreshing historical take on the vampire. Author David Wellington does a really fantastic job setting up the entire basis for the book in a few short chapters both in the modern world of the main protagonists and in the Civil War era in the historical parallel narrative that runs throughout the book. The characters are interesting, if somewhat bland, but the entire plot is imaginative if ...more
Mallory
Nov 23, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I got halfway through this book before I took it back to the library. David Wellington's writing really didn't grab me from the start, but I kept going hoping that it would eventually suck me in (no pun intended). It really didn't. I also couldn't help thinking about his vampires as a sort of rip off. I mean, he did have some new ideas as far as how long they live, but the teeth they had reminded me of the vampires in 30 Days of Night, as well as how they fed.

I read that his books were original
Noe Crockett
I have to say. I don't generally think of myself as a fan of action/suspense novels, but apparently, when combined with the vampire genre I am. I was hesitant to start this series because it just didn't seem like my cup of tea, but once I start these books I find it impossible to put them down. I hear there is a third installment in the works and I am frothing at the bit.

This book picks up a year after the first one ends. Laura Caxton is called to Gettysburg where a cavern holding 99 coffins wit
Clark Hallman
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
99 Coffins is a very creative and original story. An archeological dig by a local college in Gettysburg unearths 99 coffins in an underground ammunition bunker on the famous battle field. Actually there were 99 intact coffins and one destroyed coffin. Of course the 99 coffins contained vampires with their hearts missing. State Trooper Laura Caxton, the famous vampire hunter, and her disabled mentor, Jameson Arkeley, were called in to help figure out what was going on. It turns out the destroyed ...more
VAMPIRES DON'T SP...: Carla's books with bite 2013 44 32 Dec 30, 2013 08:56PM
  • Fangland
  • By Blood We Live
  • 30 Days of Night: Immortal Remains
  • Dead Man's Song (Pine Deep, #2)
  • No Dominion (Joe Pitt, #2)
  • X-Rated Bloodsuckers (Felix Gomez, #2)
  • The Time of Feasting
  • The Golden
  • Life Sentence (Dying to Live, #2)
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 7: Eben and Stella
  • Blood Is the New Black
  • The Rising: Selected Scenes from the End of the World
  • The Next Wave (Clickers #2)
  • Roses of Blood on Barbwire Vines
  • Chasing the Dead
  • Traveling with the Dead (James Asher, #2)
  • 33 A.D. (Bachiyr, #1)
  • Voice Of The Blood
David Wellington is a contemporary American horror author, best known for his Zombie trilogy as well as his Vampire series and Werewolf series. His books have been translated into eleven langauges and are a global phenomenon.

His career began in 2004 when he started serializing his horror fiction online, posting short chapters of a novel three times a week on a friend’s blog. Response to the projec
More about David Wellington...

Laura Caxton (5 books)
  • 13 Bullets (Laura Caxton, #1)
  • Vampire Zero (Laura Caxton, #3)
  • 23 Hours (Laura Caxton, #4)
  • 32 Fangs (Laura Caxton, #5)
“Vampires, real vampires, didn't nibble on the necks of nubile young virgins. They tore people to pieces and sucked the blood out of the chunks. ” 127 likes