Start by marking “The Young Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #20)” as Want to Read:
The Young Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #20)

The Young Black Stallion (Blitz #13)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  2,483 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
In this prequel to The Black Stallion, we learn the story of the Black before he was shipwrecked with Alec Ramsay. Born in the mountain stronghold of Sheikh Abu Ishak, the colt shows great promise. During a band of robbers’ attempt to steal him, the colt escapes and learns to survive on his own in the high mountains. Will he ever find his way home?

From the Trade Paperback
Published September 28th 2011 by Yearling (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Young Black Stallion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Young Black Stallion

Rena Sherwood
This was Walter Farley's swan song to the Black Stallion series. His son Steven helped him write it. The events consist of a flashback Alec has right after the cataclysmic events of The Black Stallion Legend. It's at turns poetic and then downright bizarre. A two year old colt being called a stallion? Hmmm.

description

Also, I liked the fact that The Black looked as if he killed someone right before he was forced onto the Drake. It made him a real bad-ass. Here this scene is rewritten to be more PC. Oh, com
Wendy
Sal Niner
Jan 15, 2012 Sal Niner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(view spoiler) ...more
Gale
“Daring Plot to Kidnap the Black”

The father-son authors have produced an excellent story, recreating the youth of the Black until the time when Alex Ramsay witnesses him being loaded--with savage fury and hatred for all men—on board The Drake in a Middle Eastern port. The Prologue and Epilogue are set in the Arizona desert where Alec, now a young man, spends the night with his beloved stallion, grazing nearby. Contemplating the starry nocturnal sky Alec locates the Horsehead Nebula and seriousl
E.F.B.
I remember trying to read this when I was in sixth grade. Normally I loved books about horses, and I saw the movie, "The Young Black Stallion", loved it, and thought I would like the book version too. But the book was different from the movie, and very early on, in the first chapter, there was, what my twelve-year-old self thought, a rather graphic description of a man (IIRC it was the black stallion's original owner) getting stabbed. As soon as I read that, I thought, "Nope", put the book down ...more
Quadragon27
This book is really short (even for a young adult novel), but in some ways that's a good thing because it gets straight to the point. The basic premise of the book is that it shares the story of what happened to the Black Stallion before he was befriended by Alec Ramsey. It's set in Arabia, and the brief depiction of that culture is interesting and also better than that of Farley's other Arabian themed book, The Black Stallion Returns. The story is simple and describes how The Black gradually ad ...more
Tania
Nov 10, 2016 Tania rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a final tribute to The Black Stallion, Walter Farley teamed up with his son to share the early life of The Black, prior to his fateful meeting with Alec Ramsey, at long last. We meet Shetan and his owner and handlers, and we learn about the hard life of the desert that was first shown to us in The Black Stallion Returns. It's fitting that Farley was able to tell this one last tale that gives us a start to finish understanding of The Black Stallion and his journey. We know he was always meant ...more
Marina
I give this book 3.5 stars. I could not keep my attention on the story probably because this series is for much younger readers then me. Very vivid imagery which makes the stallion come alive.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler
Note to Self: Arizona
Shetan(Aka the Black,black Arabian stallion),Alec Ramsey(), Henry(),Abu Ja'Kub ben Ishak(sheik), Rashid(young Bedouin),
Heidi
Apr 18, 2015 Heidi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up at the library out of nostalgia. I loved the Black Stallion books as a fourth grader, and was excited to find a book in the series that had been written after that period. I was hoping my daughter would read it, but she wasn't interested. It didn't live up to my inflated expectations, either.
Faithann
Feb 20, 2015 Faithann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I did have a problem with this book, as I did with many of the later books, in the fact that they did not stay true to information given in earlier books. That aside, this was a well written book with a good story.
Serena
Jan 09, 2013 Serena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, 20th-century

My Rating System:
Christopher Smith
Apr 26, 2014 Christopher Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Better written than many of the later Black Stallion books, I enjoyed the backstory of Shetan, which leads right up to the loading of the great horse onto The Drake for the fateful voyage across the ocean.
Schwartzelsa2
Apr 13, 2010 Schwartzelsa2 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a fun book. It's fun to read about horses. The black stallion was a very mean horse, but Alec seemed to gentle him. Now he wants to enter the Black Stallion into a race.
Angelina
Adore this book <3
Jessica Timmons
Nov 03, 2011 Jessica Timmons rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'am impressed with the writing of Walter Farley son Steven. I will be reading more of his books as well.
Kayla
Mar 21, 2009 Kayla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other
kinda confusing because this was the first book I read from the series!
Jessica
May 17, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horse lovers
One of my favorites in the series.
Brenda
Oct 05, 2010 Brenda marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
i think its good
Alexandra Lindner
Loved it
Hannah
Sep 23, 2007 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great chick book for 10-13 year olds. =] As an animal lover, I couldn't get enough of the Black Stallion series.
Jackie Foresyth
Jan 06, 2015 Jackie Foresyth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this as a child, I read all Walter Farleys books over a summer,
Heidi
Nov 05, 2010 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a very good book. It helped me understand more about the history of the Black.
Christie
Oct 03, 2007 Christie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone, young and old
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
This series is a great read, with just enough suspense to keep you turning the pages.
Aug 21, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I own this exact copy. I did get confused with this book. But overall, i Loved this book. This is a must read.
E.
Apr 11, 2012 E. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I only like the vivid details & descriptions he gave about the characters reactions.

Not highly recommended, sort of bored me & finished it by force.
Grace Rousell
Feb 17, 2016 Grace Rousell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the movie and the book.
Sharon
Jan 09, 2010 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood, horses
Part of my fourth-grade horse phase - I plowed through every horse book in the University Park library. I don't actually remember all of them that clearly, but I know they were some of my favorites.
Rikki
Dec 10, 2016 Rikki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Different, but decent. Glad I reread it. Welcome, Steven Farley!
Eleisha Luck
Aug 21, 2007 Eleisha Luck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Loved it
  • The Black Stallion's Steeplechaser (Black Stallion Returns, #2)
  • San Domingo: The Medicine Hat Stallion
  • Cindy's Runaway Colt (Thoroughbred, #13)
  • Call for Courage (Golden Filly, #5)
Steven Farley is the son of Walter Farley, the man who created the Black Stallion and wrote twenty stories about the best-loved literary horse of all time. A freelance writer based in Manhattan, Steven travels frequently, especially to places where he can enjoy riding, diving, and surfing.
More about Steven Farley...

Blitz (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1)
  • The Black Stallion Returns (The Black Stallion, #2)
  • Son of the Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #3)
  • The Black Stallion and Satan (The Black Stallion, #5)
  • The Black Stallion Revolts (The Black Stallion, #9)
  • The Black Stallion's Courage (The Black Stallion, #12)
  • The Black Stallion Mystery (The Black Stallion, #13)
  • The Black Stallion and Flame (The Black Stallion, #15)
  • The Black Stallion's Sulky Colt (The Black Stallion, #10)
  • The Black Stallion Challenged (The Black Stallion, #16)