Start by marking “Golden Earrings” as Want to Read:
Golden Earrings

Golden Earrings

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  1,305 Ratings  ·  148 Reviews
A powerful saga of family, love, honour and betrayal

You who judge me: come! Let me tell you a story …

Paloma Batton is the granddaughter of Spanish refugees who fled Barcelona after the Civil War. A disciplined student with the School of the Paris Opera Ballet, Paloma lets little get in the way of her career until she receives a visit from an otherworldly being who leaves h
Published October 1st 2011 by Harper Collins Pub (Australia) Pty Ltd (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Golden Earrings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Golden Earrings

Christine Darcas
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a masterfully crafted, rich feast of a read. Knowing too well the amount of time, effort and hope that goes into writing a novel, I won’t review a book unless I have only good things to say about it … and I have lots of terrific things to say about this one.
Alexandra creates a passionate, deeply interwoven story about a girl, Celestina, born in Barcelona’s early 20th century ghettos, who survives to become a world class Flamenco dancer. Through Spain’s turbulent civil unrest, she becomes
Kiwileese
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I listened to this wonderful book as an audio book, i cannot recommend this story enough. One of the best stories ive read in a long time

Beautifully read by Caroline Lee who is a gifted actor and narrator who has worked extensively in theatre, film, and television as well as having narrated many audiobooks.
Euphemia
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What can I say about this book!! This is the 2nd time I have read it and I loved it even more. I can almost forgive Belinda Alexandra for white gardenia which I found extremely boring.
Golden earrings is the story of Paloma, an aspiring ballerina in the 70s Paris and her Spanish ancestors. Through twists and turns she tries to unveil the story of a ghost that visits her and gives her a pair of golden earrings. At the same time she's trying to cope with the loss of her mother and the attitude of h
Beáta
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: liked
Izgalmas családregény, amely bemutatja a 20. század eleji spanyol történelmet. A regény egy része Spanyolországban játszódik a múltban, a másik része 1975 körül Párizsban.
Jenny
Golden Earrings is a historical family saga of love, honor, and betrayal. Paloma Batton was happy and contented with her life as a student of the School of the Paris Opera Ballet when someone leaves her a pair of golden earrings. Paloma Batton then started to explore her family's Spanish heritage and found out more than she thought. The readers of Golden Earrings will follow Paloma Batton to see what the secrets her family was hiding.

I enjoy reading this book. Golden Earrings is well written an
Ruth
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muy entretenido.
Tiff
I chose to read this as I had many years ago read (and loved) Wild Lavender. I also adore armchair travelling with novels set abroad. Golden Earrings is set in Spain and France so that was another tick in the box before I'd read the first page.

Golden Earrings is an epic tale of family, love and betrayal. Paloma is a ballet dancer living in Paris. An encounter with a ghost leaves her with a pair of earrings and a craving to learn of her Spanish heritage. We follow Paloma on her quest to find the
Belinda
Oct 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Would give 4.5 if I could. Really enjoyed this. It took me a little bit to get into but this always seems to be the case for me for books with historical settings, especially when I am not very familiar with the context (in this case during the Spanish Revolution). Once it grabbed me, it grabbed me, as her books always do.
Iana Withers
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm ashamed to admit but I judged this book by its cover.
I think the cover understates this book. Even the blurb was too dramatic and if it wasn't for a friend recommending it to me, I doubt that I would have ever picked it from a shelf.
But I was wrong.
The story is rich with history and characters. It has twists and turns that you wouldn't expect. Captivating read. Highly recommended.
Anna
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Interesting story - my first time learning about Spanish history at the time of their revolution. This was a multi-generational story told by the viewpoints of 3 different women, jumping back and forth between present day and the past. Includes a mystery too. It got a bit slow at the end and I had to increase my audio speed to nearly 1.5 (which I never do) to keep it moving along.
Kamilla
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic book! I absolutely loved it. I got lost in the beautiful storytelling, the mesmerising story, the fate of the people, the history of Spain, the unfolding love, loss, tragedy and family secrets.
The book captures you from the beginning and it just sucks you in deeper and deeper. All the characters are captivating, and as you read on, you get more and more invested in their story. You feel for them, you cry for them, your heart aches for them.
A masterpiece.
Hannah
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the mystery of Belinda Alexandra novels. She sweeps you along on someone else's journey and just as you think you have it figured out, she throws you some new clue. I read these novels ferociously trying to get to the end and see what really happens.

What else I love is how the stories and the characters feel both so extraordinary and real at the same time. How does she do it? I think part of it is the history - it is much easier to believe in a story when the circumstances surrounding it
Faye Barron
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A historical setting brings different times and places ALIVE! In this case, the plot moves between the 1970s Paris back to the Spanish Civil War earlier in the century. The characters are all involved in an intriguing, and colourful family saga with an abundance love, hate and betrayal. We feel these emotions with them - in settings of wealth, deprivation, success and demoralisation.
This is the first Belinda Alexander book that I have read - and feel very anxious to read the other four.
Betty
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An out standing audio book brilliantly read! Alexandra is a fairly new Australian author and this was the first of her books that I have read. I will be hunting out other books by her because I enjoyed this book so much. It was a very powerful family saga with deep love and cruel betrayal set in two time periods. It has given me a better understanding of the Spanish Civil War and its affect on the Spanish people. I have also been enlighten about the passion and dedication a dancer of ballet and ...more
Kim
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, net-galley, 2015, n
I love books that educate you on certain historical eras and introduce you to the sights and sounds of different countries from the comfort of your own armchair. It is a saga that flows from time to time and includes love, family and angst! We are introduced to Spain after the Civil War and 1970’s Paris. The visual imagery is simply stunning – you are totally drawn into the atmosphere and time. Drawing you into the world of flamenco dancing at times. Wonderfully drawn characters- a really well c ...more
Joanna
Oct 01, 2011 rated it liked it
The potential was there for me to really enjoy this book, but one thing kept stopping me. Look, Miss Alexandra, I do realise this book was set in Barcalona and Paris. But I find the random insertion of foreign words in an English novel to be really pretentious. Maybe now and then, in dialogue perhaps, but not every page or two.

It detracted from what was actually very good writing. It meant that for me, the Story couldn't just flow, because I was getting annoyed every other page.

I would give th
Jess
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love love LOVED this book!
Belinda Alexandra is one of my all time favourite authors and she has yet again demonstrated why.

The storyline was full of adventure and twists worthy of any dancer, and while it was definitely not predictable, it was easy to follow. I would think I had figured it all out and then a new detail would be expertly woven in and I had to guess again.

The characters were colourful and their stories were told by switching seamlessly from one pint of view to another, one era
Jacquie Tomlins
Mar 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely awesome book... Again Belinda Alexandra takes us to another world and we are left feeling like we were in another time & place. I feel like I knew these people. When Paloma dance the flamenco I was tapping my feet. If you haven't read any of Belinda's books this is another good reason to start.
Ruth
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: history
c2011: FWFTB: Spain, Castro, flamenco, ballet, ghost. A rather pedestrian effort showing no particular panache or new take on an old favourite. I could tell what was going to happen or rather how things were going to turn out within the first couple of chapters which made completing the book very difficult. Recommended to those of the normal crew that have not read too many 'family sagas'.
Melissa
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the most inspirational, descriptive, emotional and interesting books I've EVER read. It is now my favourite! :)
And will be dressing up as La Rusa tomorrow night for our colleges' themed dinner :D
Joanna
It took me a while to finish this book ...but what an awesome story that was !Oh my ...excellent and beautiful .Love ...hate...rich..poor...history...ghosts...it has it all... and multi generation secrets...Read it !
Marie Zaharaki
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An amazingly engaging book from start to finish. It twists between the different narratives with a dancer's elegance and precision.
Mary
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another great one from Belinda Alexandra. I love that I can actually learn things about historical events through her fiction.
A Reader's Heaven

Paloma Batton is the granddaughter of Spanish refugees who fled Barcelona after the Civil War. A disciplined student attending the school of the Paris Opera Ballet, Paloma lets little get in the way of her career until she receives a mysterious pair of golden earrings. She begins exploring her Spanish heritage and becomes fascinated by la Rusa, a woman who rose from poverty to become one of the great flamenco
Jill
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Belinda Alexandra is a good storyteller, and her books are an easy read. She follows a formula, and there's not much to stretch the imagination in her work, although it does entertain the imagination. Like a made-for-TV movie or mini series, her stories take a gentle hold of you and draw you in.

Golden Earrings is no different to her previous novels (and quite possibly her future ones). It's a fairly gentle story, although with some decidedly ungentle aspects (characters, plot turns, world event
Mary K.
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was totally drawn into this story. I listened to epic unfold on an audio-book, and as narrator, Caroline Lee has an enthralling voice. The character development was superb, the history of the Spanish Civil War interesting, the world of Flamenco totally new, and the perfect blend of heart-breaking and hopefulness kept me thoroughly engaged. The only thing that kept it from being 5-star was one element of suspended disbelief (I'm not a fan of that literary device) and that I will not reveal as s ...more
Tracy
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5! Almost gave it 3 as the political parts did get a tad boring at times but you sort of needed the info to get the pic but for somebody non political it got a little confusing here and there but this didn’t effect the story apart from wanting to fast forward a few paragraphs.

The story did make up for this though which brought it back up for me as deserving a higher rating.
Love this author !!
Inma Aran
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me ha gustado muchísimo, en parte porque una de las líneas transcurre en la Barcelona que amo, la de antes de la guerra civil y en parte una de las protagonistas es bailarina y eso es demasiado para mí. Me parece increíble que esta mujer, australiana de ascendencia rusa, sea capaz de destripar la sociedad española con esa profundidad sin caer en ningún tópico ¡Si hasta ha sido capaz de hacerme entender un poco más el flamenco!
Te atrapa, te intriga, te emociona.
Muy recomendable.
waralectora
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lecturas-2017
gusto mucho descubrir a esta autora ya que la historia ademas de mantenerme interesada, ademas me ha permitido aprender y conocer algo de la historia de la guerra civil española.
El toque sobrenatural le aumenta puntos extra ya q la aparicion de un fantasma a Paloma para darle las pistas de la historia q debe descubrir la hicieron maravillosa y diferente.
Personajes femeninos fuertes y bien definidos.
Kristin Hedstrom
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every book Belinda Alexandra writes is a masterpiece, this book is no exception. The novel is told in alternating points of view from three womem: Paloma, Evelina and Celestina who's fates intertwine. Twists and turns keep the reader guessing as the Spanish Civil War rages bringing love, tragedy and mystery. While this book had a satisfying end, I was truly sorry the story was over!
  • Duet
  • Behind the Sun (Convict Girls #1)
  • The Girl from Junchow (The Russian Concubine, #2)
  • The Convent
  • Love Is In The Hallways (Love, #2)
  • Dark Waters (Cragg & Fidelis Mystery #2)
  • The Bark Cutters (Gordon, #1)
  • The Case of the Good-Looking Corpse (The P.K Pinkerton Mysteries, #2)
  • The Apothecary's Daughter
  • Walk in My Shoes
  • Portrait of a Scandal
  • The Way Between the Worlds (Aelf Fen  #4)
  • Gwendolen
  • Nine Rabbits
  • The Art of Making Dances
  • Moth To The Flame
  • The Medici Boy
  • The Pianist in the Dark
Belinda Alexandra has been published to wide acclaim in Australia and internationally. She is the daughter of a Russian mother and an Australian father and has been an intrepid traveller since her youth. Her love of other cultures is matched by her passion for her home country, Australia, where she is a volunteer carer for the NSW Wildlife Information Rescue and Education Service (WIRES).
Belinda