Start by marking “Water Boy” as Want to Read:
Water Boy

Water Boy

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  72 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
A little boy develops a fear of water after he learns that most things are made up of it, including himself. But, the boy overcomes his fear and transforms it into special powers. Suddenly, strange things begin to happen: the birds who live by the sea begin to bring him treasures, and suddenly he is able to perform tricks like parting a waterfall.
Published April 1st 2007 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Water Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Water Boy

midnightfaerie
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Beautiful story about water, a little boy, and the power of imagination. We loved the awesome pictures and special abilities of the little boy. It kept my 6 yr old and my preschoolers engaged throughout. One of our favorites.
Eva Leger
Aug 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommended to Eva by: library
Shelves: julias-books
I'm still not sure what I think of this exactly. Julia was able to tell me what she liked but I'm at a loss. The story is fairly short with a little boy, after learning in school that humans are made of mostly water, starts wondering about a few things based on what he knows of water. He pictures a few different scenarios, him freezing since water does freeze, him going down the bathub drain, etc. (The illustration of him laying on the sidewalk draining into the street was a little disconcerting ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
A boy learns in school that our bodies are made largely of water, and becomes fascinated with the idea. The book started out promising, with him imagining all the things that might happen to him that would make the water leave or change. For example, he wonders if he could dissolve in the rain, or turn to ice in the winter, or if the water would leak out of him if the cat scratched him. To my disappointment, however, these questions are left unanswered. From then on the story becomes more of a f ...more
Melanie
A young school boy, after being told by his teacher that his body is mostly water, wonders what would happen to him in different kinds of situations. For example, what would happen if he stood in the freezing cold, the rain, was scratched by a cat? Would all of the water leak out of him? He becomes afraid of taking a bath as he fears he will disappear down the drain with the rest of the water. But as time goes by he comes to enjoy the water.

He begins to play with the water, learns to control it.
Sherry
Apr 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful watercolor and ink illustrations! A boy ponders the awesome power and vastness of water, which first installs fear. He then overcomes his fear, and imagines his own kind of magical mastery of water. The book ends with a subtle conservation message, namely that the boy is able to clean the rivers and oceans. Recommended for readers aged 4-10.
Jackie
Mar 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Beautifully illustrated story about a boy's fear of water and the way he conquers it. Water Boy is part magic, part mystery, part discovery...a book that makes the reader think about all that surrounds him.

Used for "Got Milk?, Got Water?, Got Juice?" storytime-April, 2010.
Christina
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-books
Picture book perfection: wonderful illustrations, lovely pace and excellent message well-delivered. My 5 year-old and I both love it. It's a library book but we're considering acquiring it.
Tania Orozco
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was so adorable! I really liked the pictures they were so detailed. The story line was good and very magical.
Dolly
Dec 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
A wonderfully creative story with equally wonderful illustrations. The little boy is very sweet and our girls especially loved his yoyo trick with the glass of water.
Kay
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Gorgeous pictures. Fun story of how a little boy goes from fearing water, to embracing and loving it.
Carrie Gelson
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
It is certain images that make this book a wow. And this line, "When he stood on the cliffs, the waves sang to him." (the image with it is stunning)
Rebecca
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I thought that this book was truly magical. The illustrations are amazing, and the story is totally original and imaginative. So glad I found it! :)
Rachel Rouleau
For some reason my daughter really disliked this one, but I thought it was decent.
Michael
Kind of an eerie tale. My four-year-old loved this one.
Karyn
Dec 05, 2007
Susan
May 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books-jp
I reviewed this for School Library Journal awhile ago - see my thumbs up review there.
Sarah Napientek johnson
Mar 09, 2010
Emerson and Theodore
Nov 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-books

Beautiful drawings. Magical tale.
« previous 1 3 next »
David was born in Newburyport, Massachusetts and attended the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. While there, he began illustrating. He is now an award-winning author and illustrator of nearly 200 books beloved by children, parents and librarians across the United States. McPhail has garnered many prestigious awards, including a New York Times Book Review Best Illustrated Book of the Year ...more
More about David McPhail...