Start by marking “Emerald City” as Want to Read:
Emerald City

Emerald City

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  227 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
Olivia Tate is a broken shell of a girl haunted by the tragic events that fill her past. She has closed herself off from the world, each day grasping at something—anything—to live for. Convinced there will never be a way out, she seeks solace in the depths of her medicine cabinet. When she wakes up days later in the hospital she is introduced to Jude, the quiet stranger re ...more
Published April 10th 2012 by Sweetwater Books

To ask other readers questions about Emerald City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emerald City

♥Rachel♥
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-e-book
3.5 Stars

Emerald City was a haunting and engrossing story with a paranormal twist.

Twenty-year old Olivia is struggling with depression. It's a chore just getting through the day, going to work trying to act like she cares about anything. She barely eats and sleeping has become extremely difficult because she's plagued by nightmares of her mother's death. After overhearing mean comments about her at work, Olivia goes home, barely thinking through her actions, and almost ends her life. This is w
Holly
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
First off, I received this book (my first one at that) from Net Galley. I don't know why, but I felt really important to be given the chance to read a book that's not yet to be released until April 10th. Like I was going to know this all important secret before the rest of the world. So if you will, indulge me for a moment while I live on this high.

To be honest, what first drew me to the book was the cover and the title. I mean, the cover looked all dark and mysterious and the title instantly m
Mia Searles (The Muses Circle)
Come check out more of my reviews on my blog at The Muses Circle

My Review: I am not sure what it was about the synopsis of Emerald City that caught my attention. Yes, I am a sucker for romance and "mysterious" heroes, so maybe it was that aspect of the summary that made me click the "request" button on netgalley. I definitely don't regret it, even though this debut novel by Alicia K. Leppert turned out to be quite different then what I expected it to be.

As the synopsis states, the story opens w
rameau
Twenty-year-old Olivia is depressed. Her father abandoned Olivia and her mother for his other family, and her mother abandoned when she moved out to get an education. She endures life poorly, social connection worse, and work with a fake smile plastered on her face.

Then one night, when the nightmares have robbed her of her sleep and she just wants to rest for a while, she downs a bottle of valium and lets go.

Except, she doesn't.

Olivia wakes up in a hospital to find out that a mysterious neigh
Vanya D.
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone, because it's just so awesome!!!
Note: I received this book from Netgalley.

Speechless. That's how I feel after finishing this brilliant work of prose. I'd gladly give it six stars out of the five I'm allowed to give because it stirred my soul on such a deep level, I can't even begin to describe it.

At first, I thought it'd turn out to be something like A city of angels, but it wasn't. The story was unique in its own way. And it was so well developed, that it had me clinging to every single word, like it was the air I needed to
Jeremy Hurd-McKenney
Note to self: anyone with an idea about a sad, broken girl wandering listlessly through the soggy wastelands of the Pacific Northwest until rescued by a vampire/werewolf/angel/BDSM businessman can apparently get published. Never ever read this book, unless you like the feeling of sympathetic embarrassment you would receive from reading a twelve-year-old girl's diary.

Boo to the publishing company for its deliberately vague jacket description, and also boo to the usually reliable Elliott Bay Books
Andrea
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Seattle waitress Olivia Tate goes through the motions of living everyday, but life for her is torture. Sleeping is nearly impossible, and eating has no appeal. Her emotional scars are so deep that one night she decides she can't take it anymore.

Olivia is saved by Jude, a neighbor she's never seen. He helps her recover and she can't help falling for him. But she knows that he's keeping something important from her. She tries to protect her heart while digging for the truth.

The emotions described
Rose
Stories about people who come from low points in their lives to triumph and find their passions and will of living again usually strike me at my core. I've read many realistic stories that have done this very well. I've also read many supernatural and paranormal stories that have done this well.

Emerald City fits into neither one, unfortunately. It's a novel where I saw what the author was trying to do in the progression of it, but the execution left much to be desired on many different scales. I
Faye {Daydreaming_Star}
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley-title, own
Every now and again, there is a book that really grabs my heart and keeps hold. It is, therefore, with a lot of gushing and awe that I admit that Emerald City by Alicia K. Leppert was one such book. I’m almost one hundred percent certain that I haven’t read a book so in tune with me in such a long time. It was exactly what I needed, exactly when I needed it and it is one book that I would happily read over and over again. This book touched me in ways that so many other books just fail to do.

One
Bry
Mar 27, 2012 rated it liked it
I have to say - I am totally torn on this book. I love it, I hate it, I like it, I'm apathetic about it. I read the first half of the book insanely fast because I was completely sucked in by the depth of the emotions and the severity of their consequences. Then the second half of the book took a complete 180 and went really slow even though it was the climax of the book. But lets slow down here and take it from the beginning.

The plot...
It revolves around the relationship between Olivia and Jude
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Feb 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Doesn't Emerald City have a pretty cover? I really like it. The line on the front is so true, too. I think that one line is perfect for the story of Emerald City.

I think I forgot what this book was about in the time between when I signed up for the blog tour and the day I actually read the book. I was a bit surprised when I started reading it. It wasn't what I was expecting. That's not a bad thing. I kinda like good book surprises. :)

I would call this book "real life drama with a paranormal twi
Tia
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Emerald City by Alicia K. Leppert was well written, almost methodically planned out. When I first started reading it, I was entranced by Olivia's story. I felt her emotions and that loneliness that made her cut off everyone and not care. Although looking at the flip side, perhaps she cared too much. I felt myself drowning in her pity and sadness.

When the story inserted Jude, I felt as if I was the last one to know a huge secret. I even numerous times commented in my head "Did I miss something?"
Susan
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
No one likes a depressing suicide scene, so keep reading past the first few pages and you will find what may well be one of the greatest love stories I have read in long while. An excellent book club choice full of "What would you do?" questions. What would you give up for love? What do you see when you think of heaven? How would knowing someone gave up everything for you change you now and down the road? How much of our life is determined by our own choices, by the people in our lives, by fate ...more
Alison Martin
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I am Alicia's sister, but consider myself a very critical reviewer. Take that for what it is worth.
Things I love about this book:
The way it deals with a very sensitive subject without being over dramatic or ignorant.
The way you get into the minds of the characters and know what they are feeling without sappy similes and metaphors. I hate sappy!
The way Olivia's character develops through the book. Too many books these days are all flash and the characters don't actually grow in an
NaDell
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. It was written well and the plot line was well thought out and I enjoyed the characters and twists and turns to the story development.
The very best part of this book for me was the disclaimer at the very beginning stating that she would "stay as true as possible to her beliefs" and she did that throughout the book by not needing swear words or crude language to make a love story (and not even insinuating that the main characters were behaving in that way). This really made it
Misty
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This book pulled on my heart strings and made my heart ache with love, compassion, and hope. It almost resembles a spiritual Romeo and Juliet set to a modern city but with with a much better ending. This book, the love shared, the strength built, and the bonds created made me reflect on my own relationships and strength. Repetitive at times, never the less, a very good and quick read!
Jennifer Whitehead
Feb 14, 2012 rated it liked it
What a delightful and tender romance - like a sip of fine wine. I enjoyed the fragility of Olivia and the rash decisiveness of Jude. Their story is like a flower that slowly blooms. I enjoyed it front start to end!
Anncleire
Mar 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, na
“One thing you have to remember is good always conquers evil. It’s not just a cliché. It’s true. And I’ll die making sure it happens.”

“Emerald city” è il primo romanzo di Alicia Leppert e lo avevo scelto convinta, non so assolutamente perché, che fosse una distopia. Mi sono rifiutata di andare a leggere la trama continuando ad andare a tentativi cercando di capire di cosa parlasse e quando finalmente ho afferrato il senso di tutto ero esterrefatta, tale è stata la bravura della scrittrice.

Olivia
Kayla Beck
This review was originally posted at Krazy Book Lady

Emerald City by Alicia Leppert is a young adult romance that could easily be classified as contemporary, with just a hint of paranormal romance. It is Leppert’s debut novel, published by Cedar Fort Books.

Olivia Tate found herself in a very dark place. She had numbed any emotions that she may have had since the death of her mother. Her father was long gone, having left her and her mother fifteen years prior. She was able to go through the motion
Book Babe
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review by Book Babe at www.romancingthetomereviews.com

Quickie Review:
A story that begins in a dark place and leads the reader beyond the desperation and the darkness into a world of love and light.

First Line:
"They say it's darkest just before dawn."

Summary:

***SUMMARY CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Twenty year old Olivia Tate lost her father at the age of five when he walked out on her and her mother, and chose instead to live with his "other" family complete with "other" kids. (Bastard.) Her mother never r
Ms. Castellano
Feb 23, 2012 rated it liked it
I picked up Emerald City because I found the excerpt and the cover intriguing, and I wasn’t disappointed. The book focuses on Olivia, a waitress in Seattle, whose mother’s tragic death has left her feeling like a shell of a person. She still goes through the motions, but feels like there is nothing left for her. After a particularly bad day, she decides to end it, but is saved by Jude, a mysterious neighbor she has never met before. After her release from the hospital, which he helped orchestra ...more
Carrie Ardoin
Olivia, who is only 20 years old, feels she has already reached the lowest point in her life. So low, in fact, that she's decided to end it. But luckily for her, she is not successful.

Her rescuer is Jude, an impossibly handsome neighbor who caught her just in time to get her to get her to the hospital and save her life. As Olivia struggles to overcome the physical and emotional fallout from what happened to her, she finds that Jude will become much more than her life saver.

But can Olivia, who ha
Christy LoveOfBooks
See that description of the book up there? Well, that's all I had to go on when I started reading Emerald City. I honestly didn't know what road this story was going to go down. It was actually fun being genuinely surprised, and going along for the ride with the main character, instead already able to guess or have an idea of how it will go.

The main character is Olivia, and the story is mostly told from her POV. She's in her early twenties, lives alone, and is dealing with some major issues. Whe
Carly
Mar 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
Emerald City is a truly wonderful read, the storyline is very emotional and the descriptive writing is amazing. I found myself randomly reading out pieces of the book to whoever was near. I connected with the main character, Olivia quite early on and I loved reading her journey.

Olivia is feeling very low, her life is on a downward spiral. Her mum committed suicide and she still hasn't gotten over it. She either works as a waitress or she is in bed, she has gave up on eating and looking after her
Heather
Mar 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: egalley
3.5 stars-

Emerald City is one young woman's journey from the harrowing feeling of hopelessness to beginning to heal. 20 year old Olivia has suffered far more than most 20 year olds and feels alone in the world, her mother having committed suicide and her father abandoning the family after living a lie. One particularly hard night Olivia reaches her breaking point and in an effort to end the pain ends up in a hospital bed with no knowledge of how she could have possibly been saved. Her front doo
Kimberly
Mar 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Check out more of my reviews here: www.TheWindyPages.com

After a traumatic event, Olivia's life has spiraled out of control. One day, she finds herself taking her own life. Or at least, trying to. Instead, she wakes up in a hospital, and is told her neighbor has rescued her. A neighbor she never knew she had.

Jude introduces himself as the neighbor who saved her. While Olivia is skeptical at first, Jude quickly breaks down her walls and they find themselves becoming fast friends. Maybe more. But
Shanda
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, for-review
Summary

Olivia Tate has had a tough life. She is barely making it through each day, simply going through the motions, when she overhears unkind words about her. She is in the depths of despair and can see no way out except through a bottle of pills.

When she wakes up in the hospital, the nurse tells her she was saved by her neighbor, a young man with green eyes named Jude. Jude is genuinely kind, yet quiet and incredibly private about his life. Olivia finds herself drawn to Jude, and as they build
Meagan Myhren-bennett
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
EMERALD CITY
By Alicia K. Leppert

It's always darkest before the dawn...
How is it possible to be alone in a city of 600,000 people? But it is possible in the sprawling cement jungle of Seattle, Washington. Sleep was impossible as the nightmarish memories came, especially just before the dawn. Daylight brought numbness which was a relief.
Olivia Tate's life has taken her down this path since the day her father left when she was five years old. In the years that followed she had managed to reject hum
Debbie I Heart YA Books
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Emerald City has nothing to do with Dorothy or ruby slippers. It’s a heart-wrenching love story about forbidden love. A love that a man will sacrifice heaven and fight hell just to hold the woman he loves. Alicia K. Leppert went beyond the typical Paranormal Romance. She wrote an emotional, heart-melting love story with Olivia and Jude's forbidden love—a love that will not be denied. Leppert writes incredible, heart-stopping romance. My heart is still in awe of the tender, intimate way Jude love ...more
Jaime (Twisting the Lens)
The review is published to coincide with the book tour hosted by Cedar Fort Publishing.

Olivia Tate has not had an easy life, and it had taken a toll on her. After losing her mother, she has holed herself up in a tiny, cold apartment, and has been making herself go through the motions of life. However, one night, she has decided that she cannot take her life as it is anymore. She decides to take a bottle of pills in an attempt to end it all.

Jude West is a mysterious guy who is in the right place
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Creative Reviews: Emerald City by: Alicia K. Leppert 1 7 Apr 25, 2012 05:05PM
  • Caller ID
  • Demons (Seers, #2)
  • Shayla Witherwood: A Half-Faerie Tale
  • Candlewax
  • The Shapeshifter's Secret (The Shapeshifter's Secret, #1)
  • Slipping Reality
  • Gift
  • Crater Lake: Battle for Wizard Island (Crater Lake, #1)
  • The Secret Life of Copernicus H. Stringfellow: Surreptitious Superhero
  • Fractured Soul
  • me@you.com
  • Blüd and Magick
  • Hope's Journey
  • Moon Rise (Unbidden Magic, #2)
  • The Epic Documentary of a Not-Yet-Epic Kid (Classroom, #1)
  • Point of Origin (The Survivors, #2)
  • Water (Elemental, #3)
  • The Irish Healer
I always knew I wanted to be a writer, ever since Career Day in first grade when I walked around carrying a notebook and pencil. Twenty-some odd years later, after a short stint in high school where I dreamed of being an actress, a whirlwind Internet romance including a blind proposal that led to a fairytale wedding and two pretty-near perfect kids, my lifelong dream came to fruition with my first ...more
More about Alicia K. Leppert

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hearts at Seaside (Sweet with Heat: Seaside Summers #3)
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Room Mate (Roommates, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Forgiving Hour
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Bright Side (Bright Side, #1)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Chasing I Do (The Eastons #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • That Month in Tuscany
    $6.99 $2.49
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Something in the Way (Something in the Way, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Ghosted
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Billionaire's Final Stand (Billionaire Bachelors, #7)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blackmailing the Billionaire (Billionaire Bachelors, #5)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire Falls (Billionaire Bachelors, #3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Runaway Heiress (Billionaire Bachelors, #6)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Treading Water (Treading Water, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Life Next Door (Love Not Included Book 3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Undeniable Love (Journey Of Love Book 2)
  • Bittersweet
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mr. Perfect (Mister, #1)
  • Made for You
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Journey Home
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgettable Love (Journey of Love Book 3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Dear Aaron
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
  • Impossible Saints
    $22.73 $1.99
  • Hudson (Fixed, #4)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Only a Millionaire (The Sinclairs #6.5)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Elite (Eagle Elite, #1)
  • Kulti
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Soul Summoner  (The Soul Summoner, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • April / May / June (Calendar Girl #4-6)
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“I felt like a mouse running through one of those cardboard mazes. I didn't have to think about anything I did. My body just...went. The difference was that, unlike the mouse, there was no hunk of cheese waiting for me at the end. No reward of any kind for making it through. In fact, there was no end at all.” 2 likes