Start by marking “FAB: The Coming Revolution on Your Desktop–from Personal Computers to Personal Fabrication” as Want to Read:

What if you could someday put the manufacturing power of an automobile plant on your desktop? It may sound far-fetched-but then, thirty years ago, the notion of “personal computers” in every home sounded like science fiction. According to Neil Gershenfeld, the renowned MIT scientist and inventor, the next big thing is personal fabrication–the ability to design and produce ...more
Published April 1st 2005 by Basic Books (AZ)

To ask other readers questions about FAB, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about FAB

Steve
I enjoyed this book, not simply as a nearly always interesting exploration of technology - whatever issues I have with Gershenfeld's interpretations - but also because it was so different from both the mainstream "pop" accounts of the rise of digital fabrication but also from the less engaging work coming out of social studies of science on the same phenomenon.

At a visceral level, the level of basic reading, this book was mostly a great pleasure. Gershenfeld is a talented writer. In some ways,
Artur Coelho
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mentor dos laboratórios de fabricação (fablabs), em essência da democratização do acesso à tecnologia e estimular do saber fazer junto das comunidades, figura de base do que hoje chamamos de cultura maker, Neil Gershenfeld estruturou em 2005 um conjunto de ideias-base e experiências práticas que, na altura, estavam restritas a contextos específicos, mas que hoje alastraram num movimento dinâmico à escala global.

Grande parte deste livro é o que se espera. Gershenfeld detalha algumas das tecnolog
Brendan  McAuliffe
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
I had looked at this before. I'm not nearly as excited about this as this guy is. This isn't ' moleculr fabrication ' keep in mind. It's machine tool + computer control , basically shop class + the internet. Very vague overall ( the whole thing still is really )
Bill Leach
Apr 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
Pretty lightweight. Lots of stories of pointless little projects, many of which have no connection to computer aided fabrication. The only really interesting parts were stories of low cost Indian technology.
Samuel
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I believe that I read this book a little late as the "fab lab" craze has already become well entrenched in libraries, schools, and maker spaces all across the country, yet it's still a tremendously helpful book for the practical futurist and aspiring engineer alike. Neil Gershenfeld takes us across a light historical plain, explaining how manufacturing used to do things, how they do things now, and where manufacturing is headed. He also offers a glimpse into his work to spread technological unde ...more
Qais Bin salim alsabahi
Could be inspirational for some but I think it could’ve been summed in 20 pages.. some may find the examples good to reinforce the ideas but I find it boring and to detailed. Generally it’s a good book to have in your bookshelf.
Hilary
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: informational
Librarians...read up! "FAB" is coming soon to a library near you!
Chris Boette
Mar 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
I've been excited about the idea of 3D printers, and localized manufacturing more generally, for some time now. My intrigue has been limited to pining for expensive things, following blogs in a haze, and dreaming of What I Could Do while staring at the cloudy sky. I came across Fab somewhere, and picked it up from my local library.

Physics PhD, Bell Labs alum, MIT prof and head of the Center for Atoms and Bits there--the author has more than enough credentials to allay my concerns regarding the
Mariko_suu
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since working as a PR for the FabCafe in shibuya, Tokyo, my interest in Fab has been increasing. "Fab" itself is untranslated English word, and customers and we use "Fab" in Japanese too. However, the fact is that none of us cannot explain what Fab exactly mean and where Fab can lead us.

I find the book "Fab" very interesting as it provides various views not only on fabrication but also the evolution of the technology itself. Putting myself in a business for a while, I was beginning to take a wo
Brandon
Jan 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I skipped a few parts throughout the book when it started talking about programming and such, but overall it was a pretty good book. An MIT professor talks about how he has helped build little workshops called 'Fab Labs' (Fab short for Personal Fabrication) all around the world. In these Fab labs people can come in and design a range of customized items that machines will then cut/create into the desired results. I was not quite sure how hard it was to build such things, but Gershenfeld has set ...more
Paul
Dec 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2012
This book considers how the industrial revolution has almost gone full circle.

From the early days of artisan and craft production, to the massive factories that can turn out numerous copies of the same item, the future of production will start to be possible from your desk or office.

He considers the new rapid prototyping machines and looks at the way the developing world can use these tools to make their own lives easier. The author goes into some detail on some basic projects that anyone can un
Douglas Summers-Stay
May 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
By "personal fabrication" it means 3D printers and other computer-controlled tools to build whatever you can design. It doesn't mean "telling lies about yourself." It gives lots of examples of the one-of-a-kind things people design for themselves to use, such as a portable scream box that you can scream into when you feel the need without people around you hearing and save the sound for when you get home.
The ultimate idea is for these 3D printers to be able to print out working copies of themsel
Adih Respati
Jul 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
I gambled when I decided to buy a book on computer-related invention, but it is, now I know, a good bet. Gershenfield argues that the age of personal computer is near its end, and now comes the age of personal fabrication --where every individual can manufacture any object they wish. Here, Gershenfield describes what his prophetic laboratory in his MIT office is capable of doing --and soon to be public purchase.
Smellsofbikes
Mar 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Long on MBA-friendly short stories about people who benefit or could benefit from personal fab equipment, short on details about fab equipment. Good if you know next to nothing about it and want to read a bunch of heart-warming examples of how prototype fabrication can affect individuals.
Nicholas
Oct 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business, economics
Jeremy
Sep 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tech heads & diy-ers
why do we have to haul all our stuff across the pacific? this book shows it's not necessary .. if more of us tackle the challenge making our own stuff.
Robtee
Oct 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Fab! Fab! Fab! Kids in Ghana programming a CNC machine to build a bicycle! Awesome!
Ben
  • In the Bubble: Designing in a Complex World
  • Synergetics: Explorations in the Geometry of Thinking
  • Robot: Mere Machine to Transcendent Mind
  • Shaping Things
  • The New Industrial Revolution: Consumers, Globalization and the End of Mass Production
  • Bash Cookbook: Solutions and Examples for Bash Users
  • Against the Odds: An Autobiography
  • Turtles, Termites, and Traffic Jams: Explorations in Massively Parallel Microworlds
  • The Problem of the Media: U.S. Communication Politics in the Twenty-First Century
  • Frame Analysis: An Essay on the Organization of Experience
  • Mining the Sky: Untold Riches From The Asteroids, Comets, And Planets
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2014
  • How to Live on Mars: A Trusty Guidebook to Surviving and Thriving on the Red Planet
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2010