Start by marking “Heuristics and Biases: The Psychology of Intuitive Judgment” as Want to Read:
Heuristics and Biases: The Psychology of Intuitive Judgment

Heuristics and Biases: The Psychology of Intuitive Judgment

Judgment pervades human experience. Do I have a strong enough case to go to trial? Will the Fed change interest rates? Can I trust this person? This book examines how people answer such questions. How do people cope with the complexities of the world economy, the uncertain behavior of friends and adversaries, or their own changing tastes and personalities? When are people' ...more
Published May 9th 2002 by Cambridge University Press (first published January 1st 2002)

Start your review of Heuristics and Biases: The Psychology of Intuitive Judgment
Steven Peterson
Sep 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
In 1982, Daniel Kahneman and Amos Tversky edited a volume, "Judgment under Uncertainty." This served as a culmination of their and others' research, bringing together in one volume a large number of reports on how humans make decisions under conditions of uncertainty. In short, they contended that under such conditions, people tend to use heuristics or decision-making shortcuts. This can lead to suboptimal decision-making.

Since, much research has built upon the earlier works. Indeed, there are
Doc Opp
May 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
This book is targeted at decision scientists, and therefore is not terribly accessible to people who aren't fairly advanced in the study of empirical psychology or behavioral economics.

However, for folks who are interested in the topic, this is the premier book for understanding the heuristics and biases approach to decision making. It is a collection of some of the most influential articles in the field. Students of social or cognitive psychology who are interested in judgment and decision mak
Alex MacMillan
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thesis-citation
No, I did not read this cover to cover. This was a birthday gift from my Mom, who declared it her favorite Booth School textbook. Every Winter or Summer break between semesters at UW-Madison I would attempt another go at this one, noticing with each try how far I could go as new additions to my liberal arts curriculum enabled me to better decipher the dense professorial jargon.

After spending my senior year researching and writing a thesis about the behavioral psychology motivating voter choice,
Angelo Ploscariu
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you read Thinking, fast and slow, this is its mother. But it is harder to read and less structured.
More in depth view of science of decision making.
Rita
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved it. Probably not a book for everyone but if you have any interest in or want a basic understanding of biases, this book might be for you! I found a few parts that seem just too basic, too general or too unspecific. Other than those few parts the book is very interesting. It is a really good read.
David
Aug 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Awesome literature review about various cognitive biases. High information density. You can definitely get the "bottom line" presentation of this sort of thing from other books (like "Nudge" by Thayler (sp?) and Sunstein) but if you're interested in the experimental basis behind the conclusions, this is the book for you.
scott
Aug 28, 2008 is currently reading it
This is going to be great, but dense.
Phil Debbs
Sean
Sep 15, 2016
Moinuddin
Nov 29, 2016

• The Upside of Irrationality: The Unexpected Benefits of Defying Logic at Work and at Home
  • SuperFreakonomics: Global Cooling, Patriotic Prostitutes And Why Suicide Bombers Should Buy Life Insurance
  • Micromotives and Macrobehavior
  • Competitive Advantage: Creating and Sustaining Superior Performance
  • Stumbling on Happiness
  • Yes!: 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive
  • The Wisdom of Crowds
  • Thinking Strategically: The Competitive Edge in Business, Politics, and Everyday Life
  • Why People Believe Weird Things: Pseudoscience, Superstition, and Other Confusions of Our Time
  • The $100 Startup: Reinvent the Way You Make a Living, Do What You Love, and Create a New Future
From Wikipedia:

Thomas D. Gilovich (born 1954) is a professor of psychology at Cornell University who has researched decision making and behavioral economics and has written popular books on said subjects. He has collaborated with Daniel Kahneman, Lee Ross and Amos Tversky.

Gilovich earned his B.A. from the University of California, Santa Barbara and his Ph.D. in psychology from Stanford University

News & Interviews