Start by marking “The Lemonade War (The Lemonade War, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lemonade War (The Lemonade War, #1)

The Lemonade War

(The Lemonade War #1)

3.90  ·  Rating details ·  14,463 ratings  ·  1,513 reviews
For a full hour, he poured lemonade. The world is a thirsty place, he thought as he nearly emptied his fourth pitcher of the day. And I am the Lemonade King.

Fourth-grader Evan Treski is people-smart. He’s good at talking with people, even grownups. His younger sister, Jessie, on the other hand, is math-smart, but not especially good with people. So when the siblings’
Published April 23rd 2007 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Lemonade War, please sign up.
Ana Maria A. Well, she's smart enough to skip 3rd grade and go straight to 4th grade with her brother. She's pretty much an 8 year old in 4th grade. She has great…moreWell, she's smart enough to skip 3rd grade and go straight to 4th grade with her brother. She's pretty much an 8 year old in 4th grade. She has great math skills. (less)
Natalie Pietro There is a second book called The Lemonade Crime. In it they put Scott Spencer on trial to find out what happened to the stolen money.…moreThere is a second book called The Lemonade Crime. In it they put Scott Spencer on trial to find out what happened to the stolen money. (less)

·  14,463 ratings  ·  1,513 reviews

Start your review of The Lemonade War (The Lemonade War, #1)
Erica
This was on my Overdrive wishlist and I have no idea why.
I listened to it this week because I'm waiting for a long audiobook to come in so I can't start a full-on story right now. I prefer listening to stories over music when I'm doing my job (less of a chance I'll burst into song in the middle of a quiet room. Also, cuts down on chair dancing which, from what I hear, isn't a safe workplace activity) so I've decided the solution to my waiting period is to listen to middle grade books. They
Sandra
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!

Evan and Jessie Treski will be in the same fourth grade classroom next year, since Jessie will skip one grade. Evan is not really happy with the idea of having his little sister in his same grade, specially because Jessie is the "smart-one" and he's scared to death of being embarrassed by her.
Jessie can't understand why Evan is so mad at her. She was feeling so happy she'll be in Evan's class next year since he is the "good-one-understanding-people" and could help her to fit in
Jenny
Jun 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Evan and his younger sister have a totally different reaction to the news that they will be in the same class next year. Evan is not feeling very good about having his younger sister skipping third grade and being in fourth grade with him next school year. Jesse is excited to be in her big brother's room. She feels he will be her gateway to having friends in her class this year and will ease her into being the new girl in the class. As the summer is closely coming to an end they begin a ...more
Angel_E1
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book because I also have a younger sibling just like Evan. I know exactly why Evan is thinking things that way and if I were him, I think I'd do the exact same thing. This book taught me how to see things in different point of view. Maybe next time when I'm having an argument with my sister or even someone else, I would try to look at things from their point of view. I strongly recommend this book to people who have siblings because they may find this to be cool and ...more
Brenda
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
With the start of school just around the corner The Lemonade Wars by Jacqueline Davies is a perfect reading fit. What would you do if you discovered that your little sister was going to skip into your grade at school next year? Not only your grade, but also your exact classroom because there is only one 4th grade in the school? That is the news the letter from school had to share. Jessie is good at school. She is smart. She has great ideas. She loves to get things done and to solve problems. She ...more
Dana
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I selected this as one of six books for student book clubs in my classroom and I'm glad I did! This was such a cute book and an easy read for my students in this group!

Evan and his younger sister, Jessie, enter into a lemonade war at the end of the summer. The two spend one final weekend setting up lemonade stands around their neighborhood in order to see who will raise the most money, winner takes all. What follows is a series of ups and downs as brother and sister try to one-up each other in
April
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Derek read this to me and I totally enjoyed it. Take away for us was to recognize that the way we see things might not be the same way someone else does and to appreciate your siblings.
Nancy Kotkin
This first book in The Lemonade War series portrays the closeness, miscommunication, anger and resentment, and ultimate reconciliation of siblings. The third-person POV alternates between the brother and sister. The author's masterful ability to show, not tell, brings the story to life. Math problems and business principles are woven into the story.
Martha Freeman
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
“The Lemonade War” is an excellent back-to-school title that deserves its place on the Amazon bestseller list.

Jessie and Evan are sister and brother, only 14 months apart in age and – because Jessie has skipped – both entering fourth grade. Jessie is good at math but not so good at people, and Evan is the opposite.

The two are close not only because of their complementary talents but also, the reader infers, because of the tough times they weathered as their parents’ marriage fell apart.

Now it
Steven R. McEvoy
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-best-of
This was the first book by Jacqueline Davies that I have read but it will not be the last! This book was recommended to me based on my love of books by Andrew Clements. This book was a fun read, and deals with a number of interesting topics. And I am sure children will love the sibling rivalries.

This book takes place over a summer vacation from school. The two main characters in this book are Evan Treski, Evan is frustrated because his younger sister, Jessie is smarter than him. She is so smart
Katie Fitzgerald
At the start of this story, Jessie and her older brother Evan learn that, because Jessie has skipped a grade, they will be in the same fourth grade class when school starts in a couple of weeks. Jessie, who has a hard time picking up on social cues, can’t understand why her brother, who is himself self-conscious about his performance as a student, is upset. The pair’s miscommunications grow worse and worse as school gets closer, resulting eventually in a war over whose lemonade stand can raise ...more
Barbara
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A colleague I teach with recommended this book to me as a possible classroom read aloud, and I enjoyed it. Jacqueline Davies seems to really understand children well, and her characters react very realistically to events that happen in their lives. The plot revolves around a brother and sister, Jessie and Evan, who care about each other very much, but have very different strengths and weaknesses that are causing conflict for them. Jessie is very strong academically, but doesn't know how to ...more
GalindoLibrarian
Enjoyed the sibling relationship--the closeness, the anger, the distance, the competition, the misunderstandings...good realistic fiction. And fun to think through their money-making schemes...some good financial literacy embedded in there. :) A fun book that left me wanting to read the sequel!
Hudson .W
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“One thing ends, another thing begins,” said Mrs.Treski. I Like this quote because it explains that something bad might happen but at the end of that something good can happen. People can learn that not everything is bad to end. For example, school summer. “The Lemonade war” by Jacqueline Davies is about a brother and sister fighting to make the most money though lemonade. The book says they start fighting because Evan’s sister Jessie is really smart so she gets moved up into Evans class. ...more
Ellie Grace
Apr 21, 2017 rated it liked it
BarbaraW
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute little quick read. Middle grades reader or younger. Who cares. Sneaky way to teach kids math! Couldn’t believe a 2nd grader could figure all this out. Times tables when I was coming up weren’t taught til 4 th grade. Yeah she’s skipping a grade! If you’ve ever had a lemonade stand- like I did-it’ll bring back memories both good and bad.
Kaylee
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
2 siblings want money for the summer. What do you think they are going to do to get money on hot summer days? Who will win the most money? What will be the tension? Read to find out!!
Brittney Lara
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
I read this entire book in one sitting! I don't often do that anymore since life gets ahead of me but this was a book I shared with my 5th grade sister. We sat side by side all day long reading to one another until we finished. When we got to the end I said GIVE ME MORE! I wanted the next copy. I needed to know what else happens to these characters. I was invested. This book is not only hysterical, it has great life lessons for kids. You can take this book and use it in math. What you can use ...more
Maka
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the books I read when I was younger, I loved it back then and I still love it now! The characters are very likable and the story is pretty simple but I love simplicity as long as its not boring which this book wasn't.Its been a while since I read a book so simple,interesting, and funny! Totally recommended to people who want a refreshing and relaxing story! Maybe with a glass of lemonade! (Pun intended)
Samantha Smith
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
Why do so many people like this book? To me it read like some kind of child labor manual. All the math and business lessons. Also, where was the mother in all this? She seems to pay no attention to the children except when assigning them chores around the house. Not my favorite book. Definitely won't be recommending it. I'm actually kind of shocked by this book's positive reviews!
Leslie Wilkins
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent book for reading out loud to the kids. This clever series introduces industry-related concepts with each chapter. This book focuses on business and marketing. But the story is so well done, readers don't realize they're learning at the same time.
Mandy
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
My fourth grade daughter and I both read The Lemonade War as a mom-daughter book club. Terrific book which brings up topics of discussion relevant to her age. We're excited to read book 2 in the series to discover who is the $$ thief!
Heather
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I listened to this book on Cd with my girls in the car. We love listening to little bits of books every time we're driving. We loved this one! The math aspect is really cool, too, because there's a lot of math involved in the lemonade business. Great learning opportunities in this one!
Melissa
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this down. Yes, it's about childish brother-sister angst, but it's not ordinary. And this book includes graphic features and math skills, an opportunity to really push my students, getting them to truly connect their learning.
Martha
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Now I know why this book is so popular in our library. Readers will learn a crash course on economics and marketing, valuing the types of intelligence that help one succeed, and how to overcome challenges. A wonderful read that is convincing and full of heart!
Jamie Knight
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this as a school-wide read aloud. Even my first graders could follow along and really loved the characters! They couldn't wait to read the next chapters and figure out when and how Jessie and Evan would make up. Definitely recommend!
Jamie Kline
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I think this book was pretty good. It was based off these two siblings that loved to sell lemonade together. Jessie (the main character) and Evan (her older brother) were in the last few days of summer and Jessie was waiting to see if she passed the test that allowed her to skip a grade, she's really smart for her age. These two did mostly everything together besides what they did at school this is why when Evan found out Jessie was able to go up he got kind of mad because she was his little ...more
Colton Miedl
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really like this book because of how funny it can be at times. The book actually got me to smile when in one part Jessie rode her bike back and forth from a fourth graders house because she didn't know how to ask her to do a lemonade stand with her. The book also annoyed me at a part where Evan was in the basement throwing a baseball above his head and his sister didn't get the hint that he didn't want to be messed with. When I typed the title of this book into the GoodReads search bar I saw ...more
Cindy Price
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My step-daughter comes home and hands me this book and says, "You have to read this book. It is so good." So, of course, I made it my next read.

I can see why she loved it so much. Not only can she relate to the brother and sister rivalry but it leaves you in suspense.

I love how the story captures the attention of the readers all while including math problems.

This was the perfect book for my kids. We may just get the next book and read it aloud together.
Traci
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've been asked to be a guest reader for one of our schools "One School, One Story" program! This is the book they picked, and I will doing Chapter 9: Negotiation. LOL...too funny, since there are 2 kids in my family as well. My baby sister didn't skip ahead, though; she just happened to start school exactly one year after I did. Lots of competition between us for many years!

A fun book. Glad I was asked to do this.
The Lemonade War 12 73 Jan 07, 2017 04:29PM

• No Talking
  • The Homework Machine (The Homework Machine, #1)
  • How to Steal a Dog
  • Frindle
  • Resist: A Story of D-Day
  • A Crooked Kind of Perfect
  • Because of Winn-Dixie
  • Big Nate: In a Class by Himself (Big Nate Novels, #1)
  • Fish in a Tree
  • The Strange Case of Origami Yoda (Origami Yoda #1)
  • Smile
  • The Gollywhopper Games
  • The Year of the Dog
  • Because of Mr. Terupt (Mr. Terupt, #1)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Stone Fox
  • Diary of a Wimpy Kid (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #1)
  • The One and Only Ivan
Jacqueline Davies is the author of both novels and picture books. She lives in Needham, Massachusetts with her three children.

The Lemonade War (5 books)
  • The Lemonade Crime (The Lemonade War, #2)
  • The Bell Bandit (The Lemonade War, #3)
  • The Candy Smash (The Lemonade War, #4)
  • The Magic Trap (The Lemonade War, #5)
“It’s like you miss a year of your life,” 2 likes