Start by marking “Faithfull” as Want to Read:
Faithfull

Faithfull

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  2,076 ratings  ·  126 reviews
This is a memoir by Marianne Faithfull, recounting her days in the swinging '60s. She recalls her love and life with Mick Jagger, how Bob Dylan wooed her, the Rolling Stones courted her and finally, how drugs trapped her into a world where nothing else mattered but the next fix. She also reveals the contradictions of life as a "star", first as the pop confection she was pa ...more
Hardcover, First Edition (U.K.), 352 pages
Published August 8th 1994 by Michael Joseph Ltd. (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Faithfull, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faithfull

Alex is The Romance Fox
Just finished Faithfull…for the 3rd time!! And each time I am fascinated by this woman.
One of the most unique and original female singer-songwriter.
 photo mariannea-faithful-4-760x760_zpsgmlrjt6v.jpg
An iconic singer, actress, songwriter and trendsetter, whose career has spanned over 50 years.
 photo images_zpswa6yzxsw.jpg

First reviewed in 2012

I love this book – first read when it was first published in 1994 and for me it’s a book that I can read again and again and still be touched and astounded by this extraordinary woman’s life.
 photo tumblr_middgtJNtb1qbgzk9o1_500_zpsbfnidwnr.gif
Faithfull tells her story in a candid,
Madeline
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
"In families there's always one person - almost always a woman - who is designated to be the mad one. In my circle I was the one elected, and since we lived our lives on the pages of the tabloid press, I became famous for it."

I'm implementing a new personal rule: from now on, no more memoirs by white dude rockers (my backlog of to-write reviews includes the Moltey Cru memoir and hooooo boy, that one's gonna be a doozy). From now on, we only read rock n' roll memoirs written by the women who slep
Lynx
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wife, mother, muse, popstar, punk diva, ethereal English rose, homeless junkie, recovering addict... those are just a few words one could use to describe Marianne Faithfull but I think 'Total Badass' sums her up nicely. This inspiring woman has had one wild life and candidly shares her experiences in this awesome autobiography.

I talk in-depth about Marianne's life on Muses and Stuff, a podcast which celebrates the women who inspired the men and the music we all love. Please click the link and li
Lord Beardsley
Apr 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of ab fab
Shelves: read2008, favorites
I have long been a great fan of Ms Faithfull, but now I can safely say she is my other living idol along with Stephen Fry. It takes a lot for me to seemingly worship people still living, and she is my female living idol. Talk about someone who knows who she is and can look back on her life with a brilliant sense of humor! She is brilliantly intelligent, dazzlingly witty, and unapologetic about her past. Also, how many people end their autobiography with a recipe?
Sara
May 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading this, I have been struggling to come to terms with who this person is and what I'm getting from her autobiography, beyond the voyeuristic kick one gets from looking into someone else's life, particularly the (sometimes) rich and famous.

Ms. Faithfull is hard to pin down: she strives to be a "ghost", she hates her former beauty for the attention it brought her, but she wants to be acknowledged and noticed. She makes foolish mistakes and errors in judgment and excuses herself by sayin
Louise
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s been 23 years since publication but Marianne Faithfull’s look at her life in the vortex of the 1960’s and the crash of the 1980’s holds up. This book is perceptive, literary and far beyond my expectations.

Clearly, her drop dead beauty brought Faithfull into the decade’s music explosion and an incredible physical fortitude helped her survive drugs, alcohol, exposure and malnutrition. Her openness to new experiences and her lifelong reading (she is not a high school graduate) add dimension t
Ian Mapp
Feb 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't often read biographies but the few facts that I had about Ms Faitfull's life meant that I wanted to find out more.

I knew about the Stones and the 60s, but what always interested me was how she ended up living on the streets of London in the late 70s. How could someone fall from grace so far.

The book is entertaining for various reasons. 1) the sex. I knew she had slept with two of the stones. Turns out this should be three. And some women. And Gene Pitney. And Alex Higgins. 2) The drugs.
Bethany
Mar 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir-bio, crushes
For years I've had a fascination with Marianne Faithfull - the girl who looked like an angel and sang like a waif, who then became a woman, with a strength that belied her broken voice.

This book was very evocative of the 60s. Not the typical sunshiny portrayal of the 60s, which I love too, but the darker flipside. In fact, it was so evocative, it inspired me to write a story, which I'm still writing now and living amidst in the back of my brain.
This autobiography is definitely not for those wh
Sonia
Sep 10, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
April (who just got married) gave this book to me in early summer 1999. It is a good companion piece to Pamela Des Barres' I'm with the Band (which MF mentions several times--they both did Mick), but MF has a much more jaded view of things (drugs will do that to you, kids, or is it just Being the Descendant of Sacher-Masoch living in England vs. Growing Up Beatlemaniac in Reseda, California?).

Not to miss is one of the last photos--it's just her cleavage.

In fall 2004, Marianne Faithfull was starr
Mona
I was eager to read this book as I had heard so much growing up what an icon Marianne Faithfull was, but I didn't understand why or what she had really done to achieve that status. So this book finally solved the enigma for me!
I am going to give a two-part review: the first part will be an evaluation of the book itself - the quality of the writing, the craft, etc. The second part will be about my thoughts on Marianne Faithfull as a person.
The writing style is very open and conversational. You fe
Sarah McMullan
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always Faithfull
Jason
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marianne Faithfull's personal journey through privilege, addiction, poverty, and the long climb back up after the fall is a smooth as silk reading experience. and, yeah, there's juicy insider bits aplenty about the Stones and other '60s music, art, and social scene luminaries, doncha worry 'bout that.

fun, engaging, occasionally heartbreaking, and well-written
Rupert
Mar 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far I have learned that Marianne loved Mick and Keith but not Brian or John, even though she married John, and she liked Bob and slept with him but then his fiancee came home so she took some acid and smoked some hash and had sex with some other people.
Lisa
Jan 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marianne is just not as interesting as she thinks she is.
Katherine Basto
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this disturbing and never boring account of Marianne Faithfull's very interesting life! From her early days(her mother was a Baroness of sorts and her father just left the family to found some center that featured mind control. Personally, without a father's real influence, I think the young Marianne constantly was in search of a father figure) to a young first marriage, child and then onto being Mick Jagger's girlfriend. Then, you realize Marianne was only in her early 20s. I wondered h ...more
Kirsten
Nov 29, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The best thing about this book is seeing Marianne Faithfull as an artist and individual in her own right. Her reputation as "rock-star girlfriend" and junkie really is the most common narrative found, particularly in biographies about the Stones. That is such a dismissive view of an interesting and important artist. It really points out how we dismiss female musicians while lionizing and mythologizing male musicians for identical behavior. God forbid a female artist portray weakness or drug addi ...more
Eelco Hartemink
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goed beeld van de jaren '60 en de vaak ondergeschikte rol van vrouwen ook in de z.g. progressieve hippy- en rockcultuur. De humor en het relativeringsvermogen van Marianne maken dit boek zeer leesbaar.
Kitty
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rock-bio
I read this book when I was first in college (that's the early 90's, for those keeping track), so I can't write a fair review. But this is what I've always said, even before reading this book (which only confirmed things for me), and what I think is just as relevant now as ever: We need feminism, because in a world where equality existed, this wouldn't happen...
The Rolling Stones are famous, and Marianne Faithful was some girl singer
The Rolling Stones are famous, and Marianne Faithful was a drug
Jemma
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent biography, raw and candid. Few people could stand to be this frank about all aspects of their lives, especially when that includes promiscuity and heavy drug use. Full of poignant insights too, such as how being a homeless addict wasn't infact the nadir of her life.

Sadly, the book lacks a proper ending but then again what could that be. She remarks herself how a previous biography was waiting for her to die and we wouldn't want that. Here's hoping this incredibly resilient and inte
Althea
Jun 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think Marianne Faithfull is possibly the most self-centered, self-involved individual I have ever read about. But, at least she seemed to be totally honest about her life and times; she certainly did not sugarcoat anything. And, of course, it's always fun to read about the rock legends of the sixties and their drug habits and bed hopping escapades.
minnie
Dec 13, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book, well written account of early years as sixties songstress, then life with Jagger and the Stones.Marianne's book does not glamorise heroin addiction at all, as all she did was sit on a wall for 3 years.Her encounters with Bob Dylan and others make this an interesting read for music fans.
Nina
Nov 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Faithfull is an in-depth exploration of the chemical and sexual excess that, along with music, defined the 60s. The book is filled with details about the creative process of songwriting as well as the toll touring takes on a fragile personality.
chucklesthescot
I thought that this was going to be an interesting look at the sixties scene through the eyes of an icon but to be honest I just found it pretty boring. I didn't think it really had anything different to offer the reader. I didn't get too far into it before I decided that it wasn't for me.
Tyler
Sep 19, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
It's not a great book. Faithfull certainly had an insane and nutty life, but that doesn't mean and she (or her ghostwriter) are good writers. This is why most celebrities should not write their own biographies.
Jennifer Romolini
Sep 20, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Could this woman be any cooler? Seriously. I mean the whole heroin addiction thing sucks, but the book is really honest and self-pity-free and such a raw documentation of the London '60s. Also, Jagger seems like an ass.
lindy
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really incredible, vulgar (there is a part where some weird man enters a room wearing a cape, and she says with perfect and logical nonchalance, "I figured that deserved a fuck"), and vivid book-length way of saying "bye haters." One of the best musician memoirs I've read.
Bridgitte
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blew my mind! Thought Patti Smith was raw? This is the rawest account of rock and roll living that I have ever read. Brutally honest, no agenda, just one woman's account of life, mostly on drugs,but life nonetheless.
Peter Jakobs
Well, this is about times when taking hard drugs is viewed as having a coffee or cigarette. And certainly not Mick Jagger's most favorite reading stuff. Might see Marianne live on stage in Loerrach soon...
Jayne Lamb
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a must read for anyone interested in the sixties British rock scene, Britain itself, female performers and La Faithfull in particular. Her sequel was published last year but this is the real thing. A must.
Kizer
Jan 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More lives than a cat, dahling.
  • Nico: Songs They Never Play on the Radio
  • Be My Baby: How I Survived Mascara, Miniskirts, and Madness, or My Life As a Fabulous Ronette
  • Somebody to Love?: A Rock-and-Roll Memoir
  • Up and Down with the Rolling Stones
  • Take Another Little Piece of My Heart: A Groupie Grows Up
  • Miss O'Dell: My Hard Days and Long Nights with the Beatles, the Stones, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton and the Women They Loved
  • Before I Get Old: The Story of the Who
  • The True Adventures of the Rolling Stones
  • Cheetah Chrome: A Dead Boy's Tale: From the Front Lines of Punk Rock
  • Me, the Mob, and the Music: One Helluva Ride with Tommy James  The Shondells
  • Old Gods Almost Dead: The 40-Year Odyssey of the Rolling Stones
  • Hotel California: The True-Life Adventures of Crosby, Stills, Nash, Young, Mitchell, Taylor, Browne, Ronstadt, Geffen, the Eagles, and Their Many Friends
  • Buried Alive: The Biography of Janis Joplin
  • Head-On/Repossessed
Marianne Faithfull is an English singer, songwriter, actress and diarist whose career spans over four decades. Her early work in pop and rock music in the 1960s was overshadowed by her struggle with drug abuse in the 1970s. During the first two-thirds of that decade, and with little notice, only two studio albums were produced. After a long commercial absence, she returned late in 1979 with the la ...more