Start by marking “William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream” as Want to Read:
William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream

William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream

Witness a tale of love, fairies, and betrayal in this classic tale retold in graphic-novel format. Theseus, duke of Athens is preparing for his marriage when Hermia, and her father, Egeus, burst into his court and beg for Theseus s judgment regarding whom Hermia, Egeus s, daughter, should marry. Theseus tells Hermia she must marry Demetrius, even though she really loves Ly ...more
Published July 1st 2011 by Capstone

To ask other readers questions about William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about William Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream

Jenan
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely art. Nice story, though I didn't find it that funny. Maybe reading the original will be more funny. Definitely will read the original.
Austine (NovelKnight)
I absolutely picked this graphic novel up on a whim while shelving books one day. I'm a huge fan of A Midsummer Night's Dream (it's probably my favorite Shakespeare play) so I thought it'd be fun to read it in comic format.

This book was shelved for middle grade readers but based on the illustrations and reading level of the text, I'd place it more in young adult. It keeps to the original tale fairly well in terms of plot points but I think it lacked the same humor the play has, and the reason I
Jade Crowell
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
I feel that this book wasn't very good. While I did enjoy that the book wasn't really written in old English, I feel the presentation was sloppy. The parts were all too short and the information told was mediocre. Not a fan of this book.
Dayna Smith
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A wonderful introduction to Shakespeare's classic play. This graphic novel is beautifully drawn and well written; it is easy to read and faithful to the original. This would be a great way to introduce young readers to Shakespeare.
Amanda at Nerdification Reviews
This graphic novel retelling was good, but overall it felt sterile. I know that it was produced and marketed with children in mind, but I don't see how that could have limited it from being more "Shakespeare-esq". Much of the humor was not captured, instead the story just moved through the plot points. The illustration was high on style, but low on whimsy, and that felt off to me for this particular story. Oddly enough, the art style was very reminiscent of Disney's Hercules, a movie with a styl ...more
Ayu Adisty
I've always wanted to read Shakespeare's work, especially Macbeth (honestly, because they said the play of Macbeth was cursed). But I never thought that Shakespeare has a light and fun story. I laugh while reading it, and the artwork is cool ^^
Shirley
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
It's inspired me to read the original! Loved the Shakespearean quotes at the beginning of each act ... "If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended, that you have but slumber'd here while these visions did appear." ~W.S.
Rebecca
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I love the pictures, but I feel too much of the original story has been cut out that it is almost more confusing than if more of the story was left in it. Unfortunately, I don't think I can read this with my students like I planned.
Jessie
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
really good story😊
Hazel
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
reallly liked this take on a classic the art work was lovely :)
Sheyamii
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So,basically .. It’s Shakespeare ❤
But it’s modernistic.. not like the original one of-course !
MamaFuerte
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
A good, faithful interpretation that would serve as a good introduction, but far too abridged.
Quinesia Johnson
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it
nice graphics, but it seemed super edited. fun to read nevertheless. maybe they could have added more of the favorite lines.
Audriana Jones
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a beautiful interpretation of A Midsummer Night's Dream. However, I would have liked it to go a bit more in depth; maybe a bit longer even.
Magnus Bane
fast read and a new spin on an old story but nothing new
Crizzle
Shakespeare is now in graphic novel form! This was a read aloud with Moo today. She had some good laughs from it. Her first Shakespearience! 😄
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was one of the plays that I think I read in High School but I can’t remember it at all. I’m pretty sure I didn’t actually read it anyway. I never read what they told me to. So having a graphic novel edition was a nice way to ease into it. I believe I enjoyed this a lot more than if I would have just read the play itself.

This is obviously a graphic novel edition of Shakespeare’s famous play. This is pretty much a play about 4 young adults. A girl named Hermia is set to marry a man named Deme
Ariel Caldwell
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
I love the original, full-length live version of A Midsummer Night's Dream, and since I'm currently impaired and reading a lot of graphic novels, I figured why not? Is this useful for someone who's trying to get the hang of the play, perhaps for school?

Overall, this version does a decent job of laying out the most basic premises: two couples, love gone awry, magic/fairies, the spat between Oberon and Titania, the play within a play and how/why Bottom turns into a donkey... I appreciated the ful
Katerina
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I just LOVED this. My friend and I both bought copies when we found it in our favorite bookstore. At the time, we were in a production of AMND, and we were like, "We MUST buy this!"
It's a great summary of the play, with lovely graphics.
(One thing I found interesting was that the drawings of Hermia and Helena looked a bit like a different girl and I, and we were playing those characters. Also, Demetrius and Lysander looked and awful lot like the boys who played them. And the drawing of Bottom (a
Kate
Dec 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Barbara
Feb 08, 2013 rated it liked it
This graphic novel version of William Shakespeare's classic comedy of errors is filled with lots of silliness as several characters find themselves behaving in surprising ways and developing crushes on the most unlikely of individuals. Readers unfamiliar with the original play may be a bit lost, but the humorous absurdity of love in all sorts of forms fills the book's pages, reminding readers of how foolish love can make us all. While I would never choose this offering over the great bard's work ...more
Ro  Long
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have never read an y Shakespeare so this was my first. At first I didn't think I'd finish because I've extremely picky and hardheaded when I don't like the message of a story but I finished it and it was okay. I liked and and disliked it. I'd like to read more of Shakespeare and I think that's all that matters really.
Amanda Lee
Sep 17, 2016 rated it liked it
I thought this was a good retelling of A Midsummer's Night Dream. I liked how they used original language when they could but simplified the old English and shortened it to make it more readable. Of course the graphic novel format makes it more accessible as well. I enjoyed the pictures and thought it was drawn well.
Lindy
Mar 08, 2016 added it
Adolescent # 8 - A retelling of Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream" told in graphic novel form. The illustrations remind me of Japanese anime. This would be an awesome way to introduce Shakespeare to a class. I would definitely read this with a class before reading the actual Shakespeare work. It gives an idea of the plot and is helpful in keeping all the characters straight.
Jared
A fun -- and clear -- graphic retelling of Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream." The art is beautiful. The prose is clear and simple; not as beautiful as Shakespeare, but a lot more suitable for a young adult to understand.
Nay Denise
I've always been a fan of A Midsummer Night's Dream so this graphic novel just added to my love of it. The artwork is stunning. They should at this to school curriculum for middle school and even high school. It makes fun and easier to read.
Nicola
Dec 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Simplified re-telling of the play in an approachable graphic novel format for children. Liked that it had a couple of informative pages at the back: history of the play; about Shakespeare; explanation of popular quotes from the play.
Jess
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
While not a bad water down version of a Shakespeare classic (and my favorite), I felt they could have done better with the little iambic pentameter by putting a little more in. I did like the illustrations they showed good emotion and the background information at the end.
Melissa
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
A good precursor to our "A Midsummer Night's Dream" unit.
Christine Gundlach
Jun 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Nice drawings, but it only shows the plot, not all the details and other things that make the story great.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »