Start by marking “The Chaos of Stars” as Want to Read:
The Chaos of Stars

The Chaos of Stars

3.60  ·  Rating details ·  7,759 ratings  ·  1,261 reviews
Isadora's family is seriously screwed up—which comes with the territory when you're the human daughter of the ancient Egyptian gods Isis and Osiris. Isadora is tired of living with crazy relatives who think she's only worthy of a passing glance—so when she gets the chance to move to California with her brother, she jumps on it. But her new life comes with plenty of its own ...more
Published September 10th 2013 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Chaos of Stars, please sign up.
Holly Depends what you are looking for. It's a light, quick read. As other reviewers have said, it's more about teen angst than about mythology.
Alayna So I did some research for a sequel and I went on her twitter. (@kierstenwhite) In her bio it says that she is releasing 7 new books but didn't…moreSo I did some research for a sequel and I went on her twitter. (@kierstenwhite) In her bio it says that she is releasing 7 new books but didn't specify what they were about. So I would keep an eye out for that(less)

·  7,759 ratings  ·  1,261 reviews

Emily May

DNF. I read about a quarter of it and my feelings went something like: boring, boring, boring, offensive, boring, boring... ooh, look, my cat!

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Read This Review & More Like It On Ageless Pages Reviews!

The Accused: The Chaos of Stars' cast, writing, plotting

The Offense(s): Criminal waste of time, cover fraud, squandering a great premise, using cliches and juvenile writing

The Prosecution: Jessie, a disappointed reader

Opening Argument: Ladies and gentleman, I present to you a blurb that promises Egyptian gods, a creative new take for young adult supernatural fiction, and an interesting plot. The Chaos of Stars delivers Egyptian gods, s
Aj the Ravenous Reader

“But yes, love as cancer holds up quite well. Something that grows inside of you against your will and without your consent, slowly taking over more and more vital parts until it kills you.”

Well that was surprisingly enjoyable, funny, romantic and yes, super cheesy. The beautiful cover doesn’t quite match the preceding descriptions. I thought this was going to be a serious, epic fantasy book derived from Egyptian mythology but I’m very amused at the comic almost silly take on these supposedl
Jon
Mar 31, 2013 marked it as dnf
Shelves: mythology, fantasy
Check out Scott Reads It
I wanted to enjoy The Chaos Of The Stars, I really did. I loved the description and cover for this book but I can't bear to read any more of this drivel. I'm DNFing at 20% for my own sake because this book makes me want to pull out my hair.

Isadora is by far the worst protagonist I've ever read about. Compared to Isadora, Bella Swan is practically literary genius.

Yes Isadora is that bad of a MC. She made we want to cringe and roll my eyes on every single page. She is c
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Actual rating: 2.5
I don’t need a new person to suddenly spring up under my skin and push out who I was, who I’ve already decided to be. Those feelings have no place in my life and I will not let myself be a fool in love, with love, let it take over and destroy me.
It would be so easy for me to list what I disliked about this book, and rant about what a little bitch Isadora is and how much I hated her, but it's not so simple as that. You will get no arguments from me that our main character i
Anne
Thank you to Edelweiss and the publisher for a copy of this book.

Here on Goodreads you'll see some fairly low ratings for this book, but I don't think they're necessarily deserved. I actually thought this one was pretty entertaining.
However.
Don't go into it expecting it to be an epic journey into mythological Egypt. No, it's more of a story about growing up and realizing that just because your parents aren't perfect, doesn't mean they don't love you.

The older I (and my children) get, th
Louisa
I kept a rigorous set of journals from the ages of 12 to 15. I wrote in them almost every day - I even got my friends to contribute little conversations when we sat together in class or hung out together. I tried going through them one day sometime last year, only to discover how terribly juvenile they all were, but hey, I was a tween!

Reading The Chaos of Stars felt somewhat like rereading those old diaries. Difference is, Isadora was a full 5 years my senior at the time of writing those diaries
Ashley
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, e-arc
Nose Graze — Young Adult book reviews

I am hugely disappointed by The Chaos of Stars , mainly because I'm a HUGE fan of Egyptian mythology. But the book really fell flat for me. Let me break it down for you:

Isadora, human daughter of Egyptian gods, hates her family because she feels like they use her to generate worship so that they won't die.
Isadora moves to San Diego.
Isadora becomes addicted to sugar and Coke (Coca Cola.. not like... cocaine).
Isadora works at a museum and makes some fr
Elizabeth
Feb 22, 2013 marked it as to-read
as the human daughter of Egyptian gods.........Egyptian gods.....Egyptian
SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!
 photo tumblr_mgsax39Nft1qkcn5ro8_r1_250_zps80cc862d.gif

THE COVER,GORGEOUS COVER!!!!
 photo tumblr_inline_mgzxf14yRl1qhnvno_zps0a4067bd.gif
ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω
This book is reminiscent of Rick Riordan's series on mythology, but unlike his, it's a stand-alone. That in itself is pretty refreshing, considering how everyone is writing series, trilogies, etc. It's so nice to pick up and read a book and actually have the story end with the final page. ^_^

I'm a fan of mythologies, so I loved the concept of following the Egyptians gods/goddesses and their offspring, with the setting being the modern world. I love the idea of them existing/navigating our time p
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Clearly the gods of beautiful covers feel very benevolent towards Kiersten White. Her Mind Games cover is simply gorgeous, but this one is even better because it’s actually connected to the story. I love the night sky and all those stunning stars…

Okay, moving on to more important matters now.

When I first learned what The Chaos of Stars was about, I was afraid the pitiful sum of my knowledge on Egyptian mythology would cause me to do this book injustice. But instead of making me feel like the id
Stephanie (Bookfever)
First of all, I apologize for the extremely long review but I had so much to say! I hope it doesn't scare people off. *-*

I got this book really early from the lovely people at Edelweiss and HarperTeen. So thank you!
I couldn't believe it at first actually because I hadn't known about this book for very long. I saw it on Goodreads only the week before and my eyes almost fell out of their sockets because of the gorgeous cover (I might even buy the print book once it comes out because I love the cov
Nasty Lady MJ
Jun 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: That Clifford the Big Red Dog Freak who Complained about me Being Too Loud
Recommended to Nasty Lady MJ by: Myself I'm a Egypt Fan Girl
To see full review click here.

Disclaimer: I received an ARC from Harper Teen/ Edelweiss this has not affected my opinion of this book. I am also not a book archeologist or am claiming to be a doctor of any kind even though I have a JD which is technically a doctorate most people don't call me doctor unless they're my aunt.

From the Diaries of Dr. MJ---book archeologist: in LucasFilm's set for Ancient Egypt (hey, I need something more dramatic than my storage unit)

I made a strange discovery today
Blythe
Mar 02, 2013 marked it as to-read-maybe
I will only--and I mean only--be reading this one if it receives four stars or higher from trusted friends of mine.

Rest assured I won't be holding my breath--nor would I release it having not known I was holding it, which is something White's characters seem to have an annoying habit of doing.
Alaina
I can't tell if I had a migraine before, while, or after reading this book. Either way my head is killing me and I'm trying to figure out who I hate more or less than Isadora.

The Chaos of Stars was chaotic AF. Isadora was so god damn annoying that I wanted to punch myself for picking this book up. She was an angry, bratty, and a stubborn girl. Even though she has some character growth throughout the book.. I still hated the bitch. God, I would rather reread the whole Twilight series THEN watch a
Dark Faerie Tales
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: Great book filled with mythology, humor, romance, and adventure.

Opening Sentence: When I was a little girl, I still believed I was part of the world’s secret magic.

The Review:

Isadora is your average 16 year old girl except for the fact that her parents are Egyptian gods. Her mother is Isis the goddess of motherhood and her father is Osiris god of the underworld. Even though her parents are immortal Isadora is not. Isadora grew up thinking s
kazually
dnf at page 32

i'm so confused at what this writing style and plotline is.
Mary (BookHounds)

MY THOUGHTS
ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT

So what do you do when your mother, Isis is THE goddess of life and your father, Osiris, is THE god of death? As a sixteen year old, Isadora wants nothing more than for her parents that she literally worships, to pay attention to her. She also has epic family issues that make a soap opera look like child's play. Her aunt slept with her father and she has a half-brother, Anubis, who is all evil from that union. Her oldest broth
Jessica
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: youngadult, fantasy
So nice to see the Egyptian gods getting some play! A fun story, and White's writing is excellent: you felt like you were touching and smelling and tasting everything Isadora was. I am not a romancy person, and this is a very romantic book, but I enjoyed it despite myself.

Liz
Aug 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
♠️ TABI ♠️
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
So when I first heard that Kiersten White came out with a new book, of course I was excited! And then to find out that it was about Egyptian mythology? And then when I saw that cover??
description

I must say, I did fall in love with this book pretty much right in the beginning. I've read alllll the reviews that have given this so much hate, and while I can understand people's points and issues, they're also kinda missing the point of stories. The characters are going to be flawed. No one's perfect, so please
BookAholic12
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It was very funny, witty & a wonderful roller coaster read. The main character was a lot like me so I really connected to her. I learned a lot about the Egyptian gods & I really enjoyed reading about their powers & specialties. I'd love to see more of these characters. I like the love interest & that the romance wasn't instalove.
I recommend this to everyone.
nick
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc

Read more of my reviews at Nick's Book Blog.

Although Kiersten White's previous novel, Mind Games, did not work for me at all, I still decided to give The Chaos of Stars a try because it has a stunning title, a gorgeous cover and a background brimming with potential. While the book started off with a lot of promise, it failed to live up to the maximum potential because of flaws in the characterization and the world-building.

The Chaos of Stars' main character, Isadora was not my favorite main char
shady boots | #WatchPOSE

I understand completely why so many people DNF'd this book or gave it low ratings, because Kiersten White's writing style may be quite annoying for some people. But, being a fan of her Paranormalcy books, I never minded her writing style because I thought it had a very distinct teenage-girl-ness to it, and it just added to the fluffy tone of the type of books she tends to write. There is still a smidgen of that fluffiness and charm that White's previous series had in this book, but . . . I don'
Misty
3.5
I've said many, many times before that I think Kiersten White is a good funk-breaker author. I look forward to her stories, especially when I have a lot on my plate, because I know I'll tear through them, they'll keep me entertained, and they'll jumpstart a good reading kick. They just get me in the zone; she has this quality to her writing that draws you along and makes you keep turning pages - even when it's flawed, it goes down like candy.

But surprisingly, The Chaos of Stars didn't qui
Ellis
In all honesty, I purely read this book because the "And I’d choose you; in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality, I’d find you and I’d choose you.” quote kept going through my head (blame the severe WestAllen hangover I'm still nursing) and I needed to know what that was about. Based on friends' reactions I knew not to get my hopes up too high though and yeah, this is a mildly enjoyable but shallow story of how a rather dramatic case of teenage rebellion nearly cau ...more
Ashley Chen
Jul 02, 2012 marked it as to-read
Egyptian?! HELLA YES! I shall bust out my knowledge of Ancient Egypt from my grade 11 Ancient History class! ;)

GORGEOUS COVEERR!!!! I LITERALLY WANTED TO POST THIS COVER BECAUSE I WANT IT TO PRETTIFIED MY BLOG. Gosh it is magnificent! It is simple, but unique, gorgeous but chaotic! UGHHH! LOVEEEEE!!! BEST COVER I HAVE SEEN IN A LOOOONNNNG TIME!!! It included this MG feel (I can't explain it but I tend to like MG covers better since they are more unique and detail-y beautiful), but it is still YA
Colleen Houck
First of all I love Ry, also his full name Orion. He's so sweet. Practically perfect in every way. Love the heroine's superpower of interior decorating. I was like, "Yeah, that totally IS how the room should be." I'm not great at it. I'm an I-know-it-when-I-see-it decorator and I'm never good at explaining it. So cool to read another YA about Egypt. Felt like I knew all these gods and goddesses really well and I can really appreciate the story more because of it.
Cait • A Page with a View
I think some interest in Egyptian mythology might be helpful before reading this one. I wasn't terribly into the plot, but the author is still one of my favorites! Her characters are so vibrant and witty, the writing always flows, and the dialogue is hilarious.
Yvonne (It's All About Books)

Finished reading: September 5th 2018

“It's all a matter of perspective. And maybe we thought we were living one story, when if we look at it a little different, we can reframe everything - all out memories and attributes and experiences - and see that we're actually living a different story.”

(view spoiler)

• The Lost Sun (The United States of Asgard, #1)
  • The Woken Gods
  • Transparent (Transparent, #1)
  • Ashes on the Waves
  • Antigoddess (Goddess War, #1)
  • Solstice
  • Other Worlds
  • Vengeance Bound
  • Thornhill (Hemlock, #2)
  • Furious
  • The Gathering Dark
  • The Night Itself (The Name of the Blade, #1)
  • 3:59
  • Linked (Linked #1)
  • One (One Universe, #1)
  • The Ward (The Ward, #1)
  • Tumble & Fall
  • Relic
Kiersten White is the New York Times bestselling author of many books for teens and young readers, including And I Darken, Now I Rise, Bright We Burn, The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein, and Slayer. She lives with her family near the ocean in San Diego, where she perpetually lurks in the shadows. Visit Kiersten online at KierstenWhite.com and follow @KierstenWhite on Twitter.
“And I’d choose you; in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality, I’d find you and I’d choose you.” 1133 likes
“I didn't fall in love with you. I walked into love with you, with my eyes wide open, choosing to take every step along the way. I do believe in fate and destiny, but I also believe we are only fated to do the things that we'd choose anyway. And I'd choose you; in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality, I'd find you and I'd choose you” 932 likes