Start by marking “Mind Games (Mind Games, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mind Games (Mind Games, #1)

Mind Games (Mind Games #1)

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  11,752 Ratings  ·  1,809 Reviews
Fia and Annie are as close as two sisters can be. They look out for each other. Protect each other. And most importantly, they keep each other's secrets, even the most dangerous ones: Annie is blind, but can see visions of the future; Fia was born with flawless intuition—her first impulse is always exactly right.

When the sisters are offered a place at an elite boarding sc
Hardcover, First Edition, 237 pages
Published December 3rd 2013 by HarperTeen (first published February 19th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Mind Games, please sign up.
Victoria I searched it up and it is the same book as Sister Assassin, I think Harper Collins changed it when they bought the right to publish it in the UK (but…moreI searched it up and it is the same book as Sister Assassin, I think Harper Collins changed it when they bought the right to publish it in the UK (but I'm not definitely sure)(less)
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadThe Elite by Kiera CassRequiem by Lauren Oliver
YA Novels of 2013
1,578 books — 11,057 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareLover at Last by J.R. WardRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
2,500 books — 12,330 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I can’t lose Annie because I wanted to dance and kiss James. How could I have been so stupid and selfish? Everything was already screwed up; we were already in trouble. I can’t believe I did this. I did this. Again. How many times will Annie have to see her own death because of me?

So there are these two stupid sisters, I want to call them Dumb and Dumber, but for the purposes of this book, they're named Annabelle (Annie) and Sofia (Fia). At the beginning of the story, we know that Fia is an as
Blythe
A few months ago I had attempted to read my copy of Paranormalcy, which had been collecting dust on my bookshelf for quite a few months. In the mood for a light, funny read, Paranormalcy sounded like it'd be perfect, and, even better, it came highly recommended to me by multiple trusted friends of mine.

I think I may have lasted about one hundred pages before I threw in the towel and abandoned the book. From what I had read, Paranormalcy was pretty much the book I was looking for to a T, concept
Megan
Jun 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
Visit BOOK BRATS for more reviews, giveaways, discussions, and bookish fun.

STREAM OF CONSCIOUSNESS DOES NOT A BOOK MAKE

"I have no idea. My plans changed about five minutes ago." I look over my shoulder to see the men, three (tap tap tap - I hate the number three), thick shoulders, one gun between them based on the way the guy in the middle is walking (that was a mistake, they should all have guns - guess they'll find out) matching our pace and getting closer.

The narration style of MIND GAMES sta
Giselle
Jun 13, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arc, ebook
I want this for the cover alone!!!
Elevetha
1.5 stars.

You know what I told this book?

description

For your reading pleasure, I am going to have many examples of awful awful (oh so awful) writing for you.

Example A^: (The (Repeat And Then Repeat Again In) Parenthesis)

Also, snippets of "Why this reads like a 13 year old girl's diary". You have been warned.

(Okay, so someone posted a comment about her explanation to why in Fia's POV everything is repeated 3 times; she's killed three people. I gotta say that that makes a whole lot more sense than I had p
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
The first thing you need to know about Sister Assassin (or Mind Games, title of the US edition) is that it’s absolutely thrilling. Ferguson, my Kindle, was temporarily unavailable so I was forced to read it on my iPhone and my eyes nearly fell out, but I couldn't stop. Not for a second. I wouldn't have stopped to save my life.

Sister Assassin is a story about two sisters, Fia and Annie, and the narrative is divided between their two points of view. It also jumps back and forth in time, and these
Zoe
Dec 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dystopia, to-review

Today’s lesson is…

HOW TO TURN A BOOK WITH HUGE POTENTIAL INTO AN EPIC FAILURE…

And guess what? It only requires 4 easy steps!

1). Don’t bother thinking up an original plot. Nobody will notice it’s just a cheap fan-fiction anyway.
I mean really… why go through all the work when there are thousands of other books you can just steal borrow ideas from?

So basically, our story is set in the future where there’s a school that uses children with “special abilities” (the ability to see the future, te
Ceilidh
Jan 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
The ratings system is inherently flawed in relation to book reviews. I tend to use the 1 star review solely for books that offended me, particularly in their romanticised depiction of rape culture, abusive relationships, women shaming, etc. I seldom, if ever, give a book 1 star because it was just awful as a piece of literature. I read somewhere that the author Kiersten White finished the first draft of this book in nine days. I don’t believe that. Nine days is far longer than my original predic ...more
Kat O'Keeffe
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Felt like reading something shorter, so I bumped this to the top of my TBR! It's a quick & enjoyable read with vivid characters and a unique structure of two different povs & two different timelines. The ending sets up nicely for the sequel, and I'm really looking forward to seeing where this series goes next!
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Synopsis:

Fia can't make a wrong decision, because she's got perfect instincts. Her older sister, Annie, is blind, but has the ability to see into the future, and she's one of the only people who can "see" Fia.

At the beginning of the novel, Fia is tasked with killing a guy named Adam. As someone with perfect instincts, she can easily fight off any guy, and has the ability to manipulate anyone around her to twist them around her little finger. She's clearly the perfect assassin.

The problem is, sh
Neil (or bleed)
Mind Games is surely a dark novel which will eventually force your mind to think about it especially if you are in the head of two sisters who the one has a nearly insane and impulsive attitude and the other is calm and serene.

The book was direct to the point so there are small amounts of detailing about the environment and the people and I'm used to that writing (detailed) so this was really a shocker and the reason why it has only 237 pages.

The main point of the book is quite simple but the
Kimberly Sabatini
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg-ya
I've erased this review like ten times because I'm having trouble. When I say that MIND GAMES is not the Paranormalcy Trilogy, I find myself stuck in an endless loop because I loved the Paranormalcy Trilogy, so I don't want you to think for a minute that this is better, because it isn't better--but yet--its better. *sheesh* The most accurate thing I can say is that Kiersten White has only begun to play mind games with her readers. It is evident by this unique, exciting and riveting book that Whi ...more
Cynthia Hand
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book rocked. It was short and sweet and tense and crazy. Kudos to Ms. White.
Crystal
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, favorites
This book is absolutely amazing. Mind Games is simply that a perfect mind game that will leave you begging for more. I honestly have no clue how I am going to write this review but I am going to try.

The POV in this story alternates between Annie and Fia, two sisters each with very unique abilities. The time setting also changes from present time to the past making things even more complicated, but still in my opinion unique and amazing. The overall storyline is not simple either. It involves lot
Matilda
Jul 25, 2012 marked it as to-read
The cover ... enough said. Total Bookgasm.

Mind-blowingly beautiful. Oh, how I love you so, Kiersten White.

~Tina~
Enjoyed the concept, but had a really hard time with the writing and how it was delivered. Mind Games is told in both Annie and Fia's pov and we are connected to both the past and the present, but it didn't quite work in it's favor since it felt scattered and erratic. String of repetitive words and the tap-tap-tapping was also very distracting and frustrating. The characters were intriguing in their own ways, but Annie and Fia felt, at times, like they had the same voice and inner-dialog and wer ...more
Kassidy
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Really enjoyed this book!
It's so fast-paced and short, it is very hard to put down!
I really loved the two main characters, Annie and Fia. They are so strong!
This book has a lot of mystery, secrets, and action. It definitely kept me on my toes. The writing style is pretty unique. It switches between past and present, which helps give some backstory and depth in a plot that's driven by action. I got confused sometimes, but overall I liked it! I also switches points of view between the two sisters.
Anne
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mind Games (or Sister Assassin in the UK) is the first book in White's new series of the same name. I've read her Paranormalcy trilogy, and for the most part enjoyed it's fluffy heroine, Evie. I assumed Mind Games would be similar, and prepared myself for a book filled with silly humor and sparkly characters. Yeah, not so much.
I'm also bad about ordering a book, forgetting why I ordered it, and then diving in without bothering to read what the blurb on the cover says. Lazy, I know. So I download
Lilian
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
Did I hear "heartstoppingly intense psychological thriller"? Because I want in. Mind Games is a refreshing addition to the YA genre, especially when psychological thrillers is often exclusive to adult fiction. White delivered a interesting plot and a fierce female character (albeit she stole the the spotlight from everyone else) all in a fast-paced two-hundred page novel. We've seen all the elements before from crazy training schools (Ender's Game, Insignia, Variant, The Vindico) to exploiting p ...more
Katy
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really like this one, but not for the reasons you would think. I kind of got the "Ocean's 13" satisfaction at the end of the book. And I think this book is better named "Mind Games." I think if I had read it as "Sister Assassin," I would have been extremely disappointed.

SISTER ASSASSIN FAIL

While the prologue and first chapter throws you right into it, the rest of the book lacked that "slick, edgy, heartstoppingly intense" action I was expecting from this book. The action scenes were too shor
Kira Simion
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars.

A good read, but sometimes had no idea where the author was going with this.
Rachel Finney
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
It took me a second to get into this one and really understand what was going on, but I honestly flew through this book. It's definitely more on the action side rather than character development, but that's okay! It was a satisfying quick read and I can't wait to read the sequel! Also- James. Just James.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
May 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: people who liked Paranormalcy for the writing, not the humor (if they exist)
Ugh, you guys. I was so excited for this pretty much until I started reading it. I mean, that cover! Also, I enjoyed the first two Paranormalcy books, though in Endlessly Lend and Evie went way over my sap-tolerance. Here's the thing: the best part of Paranormalcy is the humor; it may not be good literature or amazing writing, but Evie is funny. Neither Fia nor Annie has a sense of humor, and, without it, the book relies heavily on White's writing and plotting, which turns out not to be a great ...more
Emily (Book Jems)
As seen on Ed and Em's Reviews!

1.5 Stars

When I first heard about Mind Games, I was immediately fascinated. The synopsis added in with the gorgeous cover made me desperate for this book. I thought I would love it and even when the negative reviews started to pour in, I wasn't phased. If I'm being totally honest, I probably should've been. Mind Games had the premise of a real winner, but was too short, too cliche and too predictable to make a mark.

There is so much that I didn't like about this no
Jenni Arndt
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc-ebook
Being the Cover Whore that I am, I was dying to get my hands on Mind Games from the moment that I saw its stunning cover. I actually read the blurb for this one and it got me even more excited. Two sisters with extraordinary powers trapped in a school that wants to use their powers to carry out their evil deeds. How epic does that sound? This story had a stunning cover and a great premise going for it but unfortunately it failed to deliver...until the very last chapter.

Fia and Annie are sisters
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I tried for weeks to keep picking up this book to get into it. One of the most disjointed novels I have read in a long time. I struggled hugely to not only believe the plot but follow it. Very confusing. It switches between past and present quicker than I flick through the TV channels.

With insipid characters and rather ridiculous scenes, this one was just weird, I was waiting for it to get better, but it did not. I did not finish this, giving up at around the 60% read mark.

It also switches bet
Maddie (Heart Full Of Books)
A very interesting beginning - I felt like I was kept in the dark about the larger intent behind hunting down the girls with psychic powers, but the dual narrative and switching time periods made for a super fast paced and action-packed novel!
Ashley Bogner
Mind Games is a book that had a lot of potential, but unfortunately just didn't work for me. I wanted to like it because it 1) is about people with superpowers 2) is written in an alternating first-person POV. However, several things prevented me from being able to really like it.

First of all, the writing style didn't fit. At all. The author loved repetition and run-on sentences. I eventually figured out this was part of the character perspective, but it quickly became distracting. Also, the
tonya.
This review also appears on The Midnight Garden.

I wasn't really sure what I was in for when I started Mind Games. I'd only read the first in Kiersten White's Paranormalcy series, and while it was cute with great world-building, it wasn't enough to get me invested in finishing the rest of the series. Evie just felt so young. (You know. Like how young sixteen year olds are, compared to a wizened spinster of 30...)

But, you guys? Fia is no Evie. Not even close.

"The moment he bends over to help t
  • Transparent (Transparent, #1)
  • Level 2 (The Memory Chronicles, #1)
  • MILA 2.0 (MILA 2.0, #1)
  • Dualed (Dualed, #1)
  • Premeditated
  • Linked (Linked #1)
  • Crash (Visions, #1)
  • Unremembered (Unremembered, #1)
  • Life After Theft
  • The Rules (Project Paper Doll, #1)
  • Dance of Shadows (Dance of Shadows, #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • The Gathering Dark
  • Revolution 19 (Revolution 19, #1)
  • PODs (PODs, #1)
  • Prophecy (The Dragon King Chronicles, #1)
  • Impostor (Slide, #2)
  • Let the Sky Fall (Sky Fall, #1)
Kiersten White is the New York Times bestselling author of many books for teens and young readers, including And I Darken, Now I Rise, Bright We Burn, The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein, and Slayer. She lives with her family near the ocean in San Diego, where she perpetually lurks in the shadows. Visit Kiersten online at KierstenWhite.com and follow @KierstenWhite on Twitter.
More about Kiersten White

Mind Games (2 books)
  • Perfect Lies (Mind Games, #2)

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Tell The Wolves I'm Home
    $12.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Black Bird of the Gallows